Idaho Motocross Tracks

1/2/2017 12:47pm
Hello all,

I am relocating from Southern California to Idaho this Summer with my Fiance and dog. As some of you may know, Southern California hosts A LOT of motocross tracks. To clarify, i mean REAL motocross tracks. Maintained multiple times a week, with 2-3 practice/race days a week on a groomed and watered track with flaggers, check-in, porta potty's and EMT's. I've never known anything but tracks like this and I've never been one for trail riding (although SoCal boasts some great trail riding too which i have done).

My question is, are there any moto tracks remotely similar in or near Idaho (more specifically near Boise if possible)? I have spent hours researching and can't find much. OMC is one i see brought up a lot but based on what I've read it isn't really open all that often? The website is somewhat vague and it looks like they're only open 1-2 days a month and only during specific times a year? I've never known motocross track websites to be well-kept so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. That's why I'm here and looking for local knowledge. Is OMC a maintained track that is open on a regular basis? Are there other tracks within a reasonable distance (2 hours in either direction from Boise)?

Lastly, i can see that this was posted several years ago and the guy was doing the exact same thing as me. Upon posting, he got the worst sh!tstorm from Idaho locals telling him to stay out. For the record, if someone is trying to leave this hell hole known as Southern California, that means they aren't like everyone else here. I've lived here my entire life (25 years) and can honestly say I have very good knowledge of how this place works. My fiance and I are over it. We don't fit in and never have. I race dirtbikes, drive a Silverado, go camping, own several guns, hate the clubs and L.A. scene and lastly... voted for Trump. We stick out like a sore thumb here and have been saving and planning to move for a while. So before you start in on a sh!t storm with me. Please stop and realize for one second that I am acknowledging people from here suck in many ways. I want nothing more than to join my fellow country-loving, gun-toting, truck-driving, dirtbike-riding, family-loving AMERICANS in your beautiful state. We already have friends and family up there, visited recently and can't wait to become apart of the community and contribute positively in any way we can.

Any help is greatly appreciated!

- Tyler
|
Snoqualmie
1/2/2017 1:55pm
Hi Tyler,

Keep in mind the population of SoCal dwarfs Idaho. The Boise area, including all cities from Nampa, Caldwell, Meridian, etc. might crack 1,000,000 in combined population. That's going to determine your riding choices... there are places to ride and race they just *may not* be what you are used to in SoCal. OMC is good and offers various events in the year. Also remember Oregon and Washington offer choices, too for MX.

Trail riding is a whole other story - tons of places to ride ranging from high desert to alpine mountains. Literally you can ride your bike from your house in Boise and hit the trails quickly.

For me, I do the adventure riding thing in a BMW. Limitless option here for that.

IMHO Texas probably offers more of what you described in terms of tracks and options to ride. Plus more trucks are sold in Texas than anywhere
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
1/2/2017 2:14pm
Tyler!!! You can't leave without my family and I!! Haha! Glad you guys are able to get out of this shit hole soon. We will be joining you in a year and a half or so. remember washougal is only 6 hours away from Boise. We have already scoped out some of the tracks in Washington and around Idaho. There are a lot of tracks that people have cut in around Boise that look awesome. There's no shortage bud. Those tracks up in the hills look better than most of what we have anyways haha.
moto726
1/2/2017 2:55pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2017 2:55pm
I might be wrong, but I believe if you have a membership at OMC it's open all week? They only have certain days for the "public" to ride while not having a membership. They usually run a summer series and a winter series. There is a super Ross type track in mountain home that runs during the week and they have lights so they run til 11 or so at night when they have practices. Also another track just re opened a few months ago, it used to be called pleasant valley, I can't remember what it's called but all of those tracks are on Facebook, just shoot them a message and they'll give you more info. Lots of riding goes on up here when it's warm, moto is actually a pretty big deal around the Boise area. Also ask JT$, he's got the scoop on everything Moto around Boise! Hope that helps you a bit!
Skidaddle
1/2/2017 4:12pm
We go there about 6-8 times a year. There is no concern about where to ride. The concern is, will you die before you've ridden it all.

The Shop

mwssquad827
1/2/2017 5:45pm
No tracks that are up to "par" with the so cal tracks. But we do have good tracks Mtn Home is fun but small, OMC is legit and the race series is fun and competitive, Idaho Falls is fun but dusty, Rupert is super fun and has awesome dirt, and skyline ) the old pleasant valley raceway) is reopening and the owners are getting shit done, so that should be good as well. Multiple private tracks if you know the right folks. And Idaho city for some bomb ass trail riding..
mwssquad827
1/2/2017 5:47pm Edited Date/Time 1/2/2017 5:49pm
i would start with OMC, races start next month!! See ya there
1/2/2017 7:24pm
Snoqualmie wrote:
Hi Tyler, Keep in mind the population of SoCal dwarfs Idaho. The Boise area, including all cities from Nampa, Caldwell, Meridian, etc. might crack 1,000,000 in...
Hi Tyler,

Keep in mind the population of SoCal dwarfs Idaho. The Boise area, including all cities from Nampa, Caldwell, Meridian, etc. might crack 1,000,000 in combined population. That's going to determine your riding choices... there are places to ride and race they just *may not* be what you are used to in SoCal. OMC is good and offers various events in the year. Also remember Oregon and Washington offer choices, too for MX.

Trail riding is a whole other story - tons of places to ride ranging from high desert to alpine mountains. Literally you can ride your bike from your house in Boise and hit the trails quickly.

For me, I do the adventure riding thing in a BMW. Limitless option here for that.

IMHO Texas probably offers more of what you described in terms of tracks and options to ride. Plus more trucks are sold in Texas than anywhere
Thanks a bunch for the info. I'm definitely willing to venture out as far as riding goes. Trails are fun too, I've probably just never been exposed to the trail riding side of dirt bikes enough. Again, thanks for the help!
1/2/2017 7:25pm
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Tyler!!! You can't leave without my family and I!! Haha! Glad you guys are able to get out of this shit hole soon. We will be...
Tyler!!! You can't leave without my family and I!! Haha! Glad you guys are able to get out of this shit hole soon. We will be joining you in a year and a half or so. remember washougal is only 6 hours away from Boise. We have already scoped out some of the tracks in Washington and around Idaho. There are a lot of tracks that people have cut in around Boise that look awesome. There's no shortage bud. Those tracks up in the hills look better than most of what we have anyways haha.
Haha I didn't even know you were on here. I'll text you in a bit!
1/2/2017 7:27pm
moto726 wrote:
I might be wrong, but I believe if you have a membership at OMC it's open all week? They only have certain days for the "public"...
I might be wrong, but I believe if you have a membership at OMC it's open all week? They only have certain days for the "public" to ride while not having a membership. They usually run a summer series and a winter series. There is a super Ross type track in mountain home that runs during the week and they have lights so they run til 11 or so at night when they have practices. Also another track just re opened a few months ago, it used to be called pleasant valley, I can't remember what it's called but all of those tracks are on Facebook, just shoot them a message and they'll give you more info. Lots of riding goes on up here when it's warm, moto is actually a pretty big deal around the Boise area. Also ask JT$, he's got the scoop on everything Moto around Boise! Hope that helps you a bit!
Okay cool so OMC is more legit than the website lets off. I watched a couple videos on Youtube and the track looks fun when it's wet. I also ironically emailed one of the guys from "Skyline" and it sounds promising!

Thanks for the input! This is exactly what I wanted.
1/2/2017 7:28pm
How does the track hold up in the winter time? Does is shut down for several months or is it just on the really wet days? I heard Idaho gets this weird powdery stuff called "snow". Not sure what that's all about... Wink
goinrcn44h
Fantasy
735th
1/2/2017 7:54pm
Payette, little gem also have plenty of riding. Pickle butte in Nampa also..

mwssquad827
1/2/2017 8:45pm
How does the track hold up in the winter time? Does is shut down for several months or is it just on the really wet days...
How does the track hold up in the winter time? Does is shut down for several months or is it just on the really wet days? I heard Idaho gets this weird powdery stuff called "snow". Not sure what that's all about... Wink
It has a winter track that is sandy, My opinion the winter track is way faster and more fun than the summer
Johnny Ringo
1/2/2017 8:53pm
Screw the tracks. Your cash is way better spent at the Spearmint Rhino.
nornevrder
1/2/2017 10:18pm
I hope to God we get to move to the Boise area here in the near future. Since living in Alaska my riding/racing has been minimal. I haven't had a bike in my garage the last 2 years. Coming from Northern Nevada I am used to endless trail riding with decent tracks in the local area. If things work out we will be in that area hopefully in 2 years and then maybe I will pick up a bike again.
SheldonD38
5/7/2019 11:59am
Hello all, I am relocating from Southern California to Idaho this Summer with my Fiance and dog. As some of you may know, Southern California hosts...
Hello all,

I am relocating from Southern California to Idaho this Summer with my Fiance and dog. As some of you may know, Southern California hosts A LOT of motocross tracks. To clarify, i mean REAL motocross tracks. Maintained multiple times a week, with 2-3 practice/race days a week on a groomed and watered track with flaggers, check-in, porta potty's and EMT's. I've never known anything but tracks like this and I've never been one for trail riding (although SoCal boasts some great trail riding too which i have done).

My question is, are there any moto tracks remotely similar in or near Idaho (more specifically near Boise if possible)? I have spent hours researching and can't find much. OMC is one i see brought up a lot but based on what I've read it isn't really open all that often? The website is somewhat vague and it looks like they're only open 1-2 days a month and only during specific times a year? I've never known motocross track websites to be well-kept so I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. That's why I'm here and looking for local knowledge. Is OMC a maintained track that is open on a regular basis? Are there other tracks within a reasonable distance (2 hours in either direction from Boise)?

Lastly, i can see that this was posted several years ago and the guy was doing the exact same thing as me. Upon posting, he got the worst sh!tstorm from Idaho locals telling him to stay out. For the record, if someone is trying to leave this hell hole known as Southern California, that means they aren't like everyone else here. I've lived here my entire life (25 years) and can honestly say I have very good knowledge of how this place works. My fiance and I are over it. We don't fit in and never have. I race dirtbikes, drive a Silverado, go camping, own several guns, hate the clubs and L.A. scene and lastly... voted for Trump. We stick out like a sore thumb here and have been saving and planning to move for a while. So before you start in on a sh!t storm with me. Please stop and realize for one second that I am acknowledging people from here suck in many ways. I want nothing more than to join my fellow country-loving, gun-toting, truck-driving, dirtbike-riding, family-loving AMERICANS in your beautiful state. We already have friends and family up there, visited recently and can't wait to become apart of the community and contribute positively in any way we can.

- Tyler
Hey Tyler. I ran across your post and I know it’s been a couple years but I’m wondering how the racing turned out? I’m from San Diego and will be moving to the Sandpoint area to take care of my dad. My son Kyle races district 38 desert racing currently 2nd in points open A class. Any GP stuff or just track? And for everyone that’s reading this I to vote Trump, love my guns and fishing as does the boy. Not your typical SoCal family. Thanks for any info.
racerxx276
5/7/2019 2:10pm
During the summer boise was getting 12,000 people a MONTH coming from CA. Currently the boise infrastructure is overwhelmed. The roads now resemble LA, the schools are overcrowded with new students etc...

I understand that not everyone from CA is a jerk , but its the number of people that are showing up that everyone hates!
I sold my house last fall and moved to a different location as 2 of my new neighbors were fresh from CA. They apparently think its ok to party every fri-sat night with 20 of their closest friends till the wee hrs.

I've seen new groups of dirt bikers from CA tearing up the trails in Idaho City. We are able to ride there by the thinest of threads and these guys were cutting the switchbacks and creating a new trail everywhere. I stopped and asked them to please stay on the trail and got told where I could put my opinion. People like this will get us shut out of our riding areas.

This is why the locals will give you the stare down when you tell them your from CA.....
endurox
5/8/2019 7:29pm
Just need 3 winters of major snow in Boise to chase them back to the left coast.
liver
5/9/2019 12:01am
Rupert race this weekend, some retired fella named jake whammer or whatever will be there Racing the vet class. Then we got OCA, Preston, and Rupert again, all in a racing series. Tracks are not much for open practice around here, it’s all about racing
liver
5/9/2019 12:04am
The series is “RMX”, it’s real moto for sure, very well organized
Bultaco
5/9/2019 3:05am
racerxx276 wrote:
During the summer boise was getting 12,000 people a MONTH coming from CA. Currently the boise infrastructure is overwhelmed. The roads now resemble LA, the schools...
During the summer boise was getting 12,000 people a MONTH coming from CA. Currently the boise infrastructure is overwhelmed. The roads now resemble LA, the schools are overcrowded with new students etc...

I understand that not everyone from CA is a jerk , but its the number of people that are showing up that everyone hates!
I sold my house last fall and moved to a different location as 2 of my new neighbors were fresh from CA. They apparently think its ok to party every fri-sat night with 20 of their closest friends till the wee hrs.

I've seen new groups of dirt bikers from CA tearing up the trails in Idaho City. We are able to ride there by the thinest of threads and these guys were cutting the switchbacks and creating a new trail everywhere. I stopped and asked them to please stay on the trail and got told where I could put my opinion. People like this will get us shut out of our riding areas.

This is why the locals will give you the stare down when you tell them your from CA.....
Don’t Californicate Idaho. That was on a billboard in 1972 between Mtn Home and Boise.
hubbardmx50
5/9/2019 11:20am
I contemplate leaving CA just about every day. I’d probably aim for AZ though. But as someone who’s life revolves around moto I just don’t know if it’s worth it. Good on onesixseven if he actually did leave and try another state. Hopefully he’ll chime in and let us know how his two year Idaho experience has been, haha
Moto331
5/9/2019 1:33pm
Hello all, I am relocating from Southern California to Idaho this Summer with my Fiance and dog. As some of you may know, Southern California hosts...
Hello all,

- Tyler
SheldonD38 wrote:
Hey Tyler. I ran across your post and I know it’s been a couple years but I’m wondering how the racing turned out? I’m from San...
Hey Tyler. I ran across your post and I know it’s been a couple years but I’m wondering how the racing turned out? I’m from San Diego and will be moving to the Sandpoint area to take care of my dad. My son Kyle races district 38 desert racing currently 2nd in points open A class. Any GP stuff or just track? And for everyone that’s reading this I to vote Trump, love my guns and fishing as does the boy. Not your typical SoCal family. Thanks for any info.
I’m about 40 min from sandpoint, shoot me an email and I’ll fill ya in moto wise
Jhartwig@kw.com
c91x
5/9/2019 1:53pm
racerxx276 wrote:
During the summer boise was getting 12,000 people a MONTH coming from CA. Currently the boise infrastructure is overwhelmed. The roads now resemble LA, the schools...

This is exactly what happened to Arizona. Its gotten even worse since UTV's have become so popular.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
5/9/2019 1:57pm
racerxx276 wrote:

I can promise you OneSixSeven isn't one of those guys. He's a good dude. I've known him 10+ years now.
SheldonD38
5/9/2019 2:12pm
Thanks for the input guys. I completely understand the frustration with California people. They move in want to change everything and raise taxes, I know they suck. Like I said I need to take care of my dad he just had a quadruple bypass. We are a lay low racing family. I own a concrete pumping company and my boy goes to school and works at maxima oil other than that it’s racing. Just needed a little input on how much seat time he can get in that area. Didn’t know if it’s mostly track or GP stuff. We are use to desert so 120 mile or so races.
mxracer71
Fantasy
2394th
5/9/2019 5:13pm
Man you are lucky... My wife and i were planning on going up there ourselves. Idaho is beautiful and such a better way to live then this concrete jungle we call so cal. Unfortunately for us they did take her for a new residency program at the hospital so i guess we are on standby for now. We are a low key go with the flow family, not your typical liberal crybaby's that live in this state. I cant wait to get out! good luck with your venture

Post a reply to: Idaho Motocross Tracks

The Latest