IOM - Isle of Man

wsmille2
I am looking at going to this event next year (2020) from the states and asking for some guidance or travel info. I have never been before and want to start planning.

The event appears to be a 2 week event that usually starts in May. How many days do you usually go for? Are some sessions better to watch than the others? What else is there to do on the isle? If you could only spend a week there, what else would you do?

Any info would be helpful!
|
SethGator
4/9/2019 8:27am
the bulk of people tend to ferry over each day and go from there, but best bet would to try and lock down a hotel or air bnb.

the races consist over two weeks, the first week is practice week followed by races the second. You can't go wrong with any races but can't miss ones are anything with a 1000cc engine, Stock1000, Superbike and the cherry on top the Senior TT.

chaseodc
4/9/2019 8:41am
I did some research on going a couple years ago, one thing that came up often was issues with wind delays. Being flexible with your schedule may be an advantage..

The Shop

brimx153
4/9/2019 9:04am
If your going from the US I suggest you go for 2 wks , if you just went for one , you never know what the weather is going to do . Sometimes an entire race wk is just cancelled. Most people I know will go either for first race sat , mad sun , race mon , race wed and sail home wed night , or others sail mon morning, see the races mon , wed ,and fri , and sail home sat . But I definitely think go for the full 2 wks if you can , there s always something on . Great night life too. One year I went we got lucky because practice had been delayed, so we got 3 nights of practice to look at too as well as the racing .if you are looking for a hotel I d be doing it asap . And to be honest you are going to be lucky to find anything this late , they do be booked out months in advance. But you could get lucky .any time I went was on a bike and we just camped .
wsmille2
4/9/2019 9:35am
brimx153 wrote:
If your going from the US I suggest you go for 2 wks , if you just went for one , you never know what the...
If your going from the US I suggest you go for 2 wks , if you just went for one , you never know what the weather is going to do . Sometimes an entire race wk is just cancelled. Most people I know will go either for first race sat , mad sun , race mon , race wed and sail home wed night , or others sail mon morning, see the races mon , wed ,and fri , and sail home sat . But I definitely think go for the full 2 wks if you can , there s always something on . Great night life too. One year I went we got lucky because practice had been delayed, so we got 3 nights of practice to look at too as well as the racing .if you are looking for a hotel I d be doing it asap . And to be honest you are going to be lucky to find anything this late , they do be booked out months in advance. But you could get lucky .any time I went was on a bike and we just camped .
Thanks - This would be for next year (2020). We have some friends that live in the UK that would bring their RV that we would be able to stay in so I think we may be good on the room/board situation. Trying to figure out everything else with other things to do in the area as my wife may not want to watch racing for said days straight. I guess you can move around the track and watch in other spots too.
4/9/2019 11:41am
There is a practice week,more laid back and get time to mingle with the riders etc,followed by race week which is when the real action starts.

I am going over this year,half race week and full race week.

Hardest part is getting a place on the ferry,they sell out in a few hrs,but dont worry because there are FB pages dedicated to selling/buying tickets.I have never failed this way and only ever pay normal price.People buy then cant go so re sell their tickets,foot passenger tickets are much easier to get than vehicle tickets.

Hotel/B and B accomodation sells out fast too,but plenty of camping available if you want the true experience.
Overall as die hard MXer I still love the TT and if anyone gets the chance, its a must see
Everyone so friendly and its just bikes bikes n beers!

Youtube Bray Hill ,mega place to stand and guaranteed to shock you with the speed,180mph on a normal road with stone walls and kerbs!
brimx153
4/9/2019 12:18pm
brimx153 wrote:
If your going from the US I suggest you go for 2 wks , if you just went for one , you never know what the...
wsmille2 wrote:
Thanks - This would be for next year (2020). We have some friends that live in the UK that would bring their RV that we would...
Thanks - This would be for next year (2020). We have some friends that live in the UK that would bring their RV that we would be able to stay in so I think we may be good on the room/board situation. Trying to figure out everything else with other things to do in the area as my wife may not want to watch racing for said days straight. I guess you can move around the track and watch in other spots too.
Yea once the road opens up , you can drive anywhere you want . There s loads of good camping place s were you can park up . A few very close to Douglas. ( main town , and pit area ) so its easy go in every night walk around the pits .hit the pubs or whatever. There s also a cool beach race to look at .and MAD Sunday is well named lol. there loads of nice beaches and thing s to do that your wife might like . I d recommend trying to get a few practice nights in . It's great in the pits after .all the riders are very friendly at this time .and it's really relaxed in the pits . If you where coming a few wks before I'd highly recommend a quick trip over to northern Ireland for the NW200 . Its about 2 wks before the TT . And always has great racing ( when the weather not too bad )
4/9/2019 1:18pm
brimx153 wrote:
wsmille2 wrote:
Thanks - This would be for next year (2020). We have some friends that live in the UK that would bring their RV that we would...
Better start saving up if you are taking a motorhome over it is the most expensive sea crossing in the world You will need to book the ferry well in advance around a year if you are wanting to get off the Island less than 4 days after it finishes Buy a Motor Cycle News it will have a list of the places to watch and how to get to them Some of them you will be stuck at them for over 8 hours at a time if racing gets delayed which happens a lot of the time MCN will help you with this Have you ever watched the film TT Closer to the edge? Well worth a watch!
wsmille2
4/10/2019 4:56am
J-Wishbone wrote:
There is a practice week,more laid back and get time to mingle with the riders etc,followed by race week which is when the real action starts...
There is a practice week,more laid back and get time to mingle with the riders etc,followed by race week which is when the real action starts.

Hardest part is getting a place on the ferry,they sell out in a few hrs,but dont worry because there are FB pages dedicated to selling/buying tickets.I have never failed this way and only ever pay normal price.People buy then cant go so re sell their tickets,foot passenger tickets are much easier to get than vehicle tickets.

Hotel/B and B accomodation sells out fast too,but plenty of camping available if you want the true experience.
Overall as die hard MXer I still love the TT and if anyone gets the chance, its a must see

Youtube Bray Hill ,mega place to stand and guaranteed to shock you with the speed,180mph on a normal road with stone walls and kerbs!
Do you know the FB pages that are dedicated to selling tickets?
4/12/2019 10:47am
J-Wishbone wrote:
There is a practice week,more laid back and get time to mingle with the riders etc,followed by race week which is when the real action starts...

wsmille2 wrote:
Do you know the FB pages that are dedicated to selling tickets?
iom ferry ticket swap or sell,
iom tt 2019

try those 2 pages on Facebook,I got tickets for this years crossing on there.
Dont forget once you get over there all the racing is FREE to watch,unless you pay to go to a grandstand etc.

Post a reply to: IOM - Isle of Man

The Latest