"I wouldn't ride without them.."

delonick347
Edited Date/Time 3/18/2019 1:30pm
Knee braces. Mine are getting roached out and recently finished watching Ryno's Whiskey Throttle show and found it interesting that he not only swears off neck braces, but pretty much braces of all kinds. I was surprised to hear that he has gone two years without even knee braces. That said, I'm sure there are some Vitards that ride\race without them. For those of you that go without, what kind of knee pads do you all run and\or recommend?

Brody, what do you recommend?
|
Wade221
3/15/2019 9:30am
Knee braces. Mine are getting roached out and recently finished watching Ryno's Whiskey Throttle show and found it interesting that he not only swears off neck...
Knee braces. Mine are getting roached out and recently finished watching Ryno's Whiskey Throttle show and found it interesting that he not only swears off neck braces, but pretty much braces of all kinds. I was surprised to hear that he has gone two years without even knee braces. That said, I'm sure there are some Vitards that ride\race without them. For those of you that go without, what kind of knee pads do you all run and\or recommend?

Smart man! Ask the “subject matter expert”??

As for me, I like the EVS TP199 Lites
3/15/2019 9:30am
I ride without kneebraces , hell i never rode with them.
Now i use simple kneepads from Acerbis that are really small and light.

Never had any kneeproblems and i ride for almost 18 years.
captmoto
3/15/2019 9:32am
No knee braces for me until last year. No knee injuries for me either. I am considering going back.
delonick347
3/15/2019 9:35am
I ride without kneebraces , hell i never rode with them. Now i use simple kneepads from Acerbis that are really small and light. Never had...
I ride without kneebraces , hell i never rode with them.
Now i use simple kneepads from Acerbis that are really small and light.

Never had any kneeproblems and i ride for almost 18 years.
Exactly, as Ryno said, and I paraphrase, "motocross is such a brutal and gnarly sport, there's no way to prevent such violent injuries due to the forces put on the body - something has to give" which GL later supported saying how he has blown out his knees while wearing the most expensive, top of the line custom fitted knee braces on the market. Unfortunately, I have done the same. Did a meniscus with a pair of Mobius braces. It's definitely an interesting perspective.

The Shop

3/15/2019 9:36am
Never used knee braces the 35 years I've been riding motorcycles or bmx only knee pads never have had knee problems either.
delonick347
3/15/2019 9:38am
Knee braces. Mine are getting roached out and recently finished watching Ryno's Whiskey Throttle show and found it interesting that he not only swears off neck...

Wade221 wrote:

Given EVS offers a knee pad with TP's name on it, is that to say that TP doesn't wear knee braces himself? I've seen his knees if a few videos and they are shaped like question marks..
BR8ES
3/15/2019 9:38am
How about the guys that have no ACLs or similar?
delonick347
3/15/2019 9:40am

Wade221 wrote:

Just watched a youtube vid on these, I think I am sold.
731chopper
Fantasy
442nd
3/15/2019 9:42am
I've never used knee braces. I tried them once and hated them because I couldn't grip the bike the same way with my legs (I use the inside of my knees to grip the bike quite a bit). They did make me feel like the Terminator on hard hits though, my knees felt indestructible!

Instead, I've always used the basic shin/knee guard combo units.
Wade221
3/15/2019 9:43am
Just watched a youtube vid on these, I think I am sold.
There’s two; the originals that have the shin portion and the lites (which I have). I felt the shin portion was unneeded, since I’m tall and didn’t want it bunching in my boot, that’s why I chose the lites. They work great, don’t move, don’t pinch, don’t snag inside pants, and breathe pretty well
crusty_xx
Fantasy
154th
3/15/2019 9:46am
I would have torn about all my ligaments by now without my Ortema Kneebraces
Timo_2824
3/15/2019 9:53am
Knock on wood, 23 years of riding off-road without a single knee injury. I don't wear braces, just a 14 year old pair of Fox knee pads. I think I'm due for a new set now that I looked at how old they are...
brody
3/15/2019 9:56am

I run o'neal knee guards. If you have strong ligaments and work out then you will be fine.

i will not ride with out my Scott goggles, bell helmet, and my SG12
fourfourone
3/15/2019 9:58am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2019 10:00am

his dad makes him wear knee pads and his baseball helmet when hes first gear cruising on his race prep rm125
memphis422
3/15/2019 9:59am
Knee braces are one thing, but the fact that he swears off neck braces baffles me. I'm not saying that you HAVE to use one, but to say they are useless makes no sense. This was a forum topic a few weeks back:

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/10-Year-Neck-Brace-Study…

That is enough proof to say they are worth something if worn. I never ride without mine (Alpinestars Bionic) and have gotten so used to it I barely notice it anymore.
fourfourone
3/15/2019 9:59am

brody wrote:
I run o'neal knee guards. If you have strong ligaments and work out then you will be fine. i will not ride with out my Scott...
I run o'neal knee guards. If you have strong ligaments and work out then you will be fine.

that's very far from the truth.
brody
3/15/2019 10:01am

brody wrote:
I run o'neal knee guards. If you have strong ligaments and work out then you will be fine. i will not ride with out my Scott...

oh yes and if you have proper riding techniques, dont plant and twist and dont crash you will be fine
Wade221
3/15/2019 10:02am
I work out quite a bit, so I’m good! I’m just gonna ride in sneakers and sunglasses. Save quite a bit of sprung weight. Thanks for the tip, Brody
Bramlett321
3/15/2019 10:04am
brody wrote:

Bud it doesn't matter how much you work out nor how strong your ligaments are....in a hard fall or knee twist shit is gonna tear.
delonick347
3/15/2019 10:05am

brody wrote:

How do Scott goggles handle in left handed off cambers? And which SG12 will you not ride without, the left or the right one?
delonick347
3/15/2019 10:10am
memphis422 wrote:
Knee braces are one thing, but the fact that he swears off neck braces baffles me. I'm not saying that you HAVE to use one, but...
Knee braces are one thing, but the fact that he swears off neck braces baffles me. I'm not saying that you HAVE to use one, but to say they are useless makes no sense. This was a forum topic a few weeks back:

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/10-Year-Neck-Brace-Study…

That is enough proof to say they are worth something if worn. I never ride without mine (Alpinestars Bionic) and have gotten so used to it I barely notice it anymore.
I don't think Ryno contends that neck braces are useless, in fact I think he says they do offer protection. His issue was that they limit mobility in the neck, which doesn't allow for the helmet to stay horizontal (with consideration to the implications on vision and processing the track as it comes) while in the hinged, attack position, with of course, UNLOCKED HIPS Wink
scrallex
3/15/2019 10:14am
Riding/racing my entire life. Currently, I use an older Asterisk pair with the BOA system (the model before the updated knee cap area). I have been in and out of the hospital well over 20 times for racing-related injuries and never once had any knee injuries. Personally, I feel naked without my braces.

I can definitely understand the perspective of not wearing them as I get older. I have noticed that I am far less enticed to push myself to the limit in my cornering to the point that dabbing my foot is less detrimental as it was, say, 4 years ago. Not saying that I won't experience a knee injury now or in the future, but I am overall less likely to injure myself in general because I am riding like I have work on Monday. With that in mind, I have to agree that it just doesn't seem sensible to fork over $700 for a pair of braces (how much mine were 6 years ago) if you've already passed the threshold of holding it WFO and have made your way into the "riding my bike is just a pass time." That being said, kids and adults that are pushing the limits of their equipment should definitely be wearing at least a mid-level brace. At least until they pass that point and are just riding for fun. But for the average joe that just rides for fun on weekends, I see no issues with a basic pad that will protect your knee cap from the eventual bar-bash that we all have experienced.
fourfourone
3/15/2019 10:17am
brody wrote:

brody wrote:
oh yes and if you have proper riding techniques, dont plant and twist and dont crash you will be fine
have you ever riden a dirtbike on a track?
delonick347
3/15/2019 10:22am
brody wrote:
Rule 1: Wear O'neal knee protection
Rule 2: Don't crash

Got it.
BR8ES
3/15/2019 10:24am
brody wrote:
He is a sponsored rider with a cone pipe, so I would say at least his pit bike yard track.
fourfourone
3/15/2019 10:28am
brody wrote:
Rule 1: Wear O'neal knee protection
Rule 2: Don't crash

Got it.
this shit this toddler says haha.

riding around you half acre lot keeping your rm in 1st gear really doesn't apply to this thread.
zippytech
3/15/2019 10:28am
Not every one that rides motocross crashes,, Hell some times I go years with out any crashes and I been riding/racing for almost 30 years.
delonick347
3/15/2019 10:34am
zippytech wrote:
Not every one that rides motocross crashes,, Hell some times I go years with out any crashes and I been riding/racing for almost 30 years.
I am not able to withhold typing this reply to disagree. With conviction, I will say that EVERYONE that races or even rides motocross, with ANY semblance of effort, speed or intensity will injure themselves at one point or another, and if not, most definitely have some iteration of a "crash". Apart from riding through the pits in first gear, at "no wake" speeds, it is a certainty. Part of what makes motocross and dirt bikes in general appealing to all of us is the danger, adrenaline and risk that we concede to every time we hit the track and if you're riding tracks at "no crash" speeds, what the hell's the point?
Redrcr34
3/15/2019 10:35am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2019 10:39am
Riding/ Racing last 40 years and bought a pair of carbon fiber braces about 10 years ago, wore them a couple times and could not get used to them. Felt weird trying to grip the bike. Sold them a month later and have never had any knee problems ever. I have always wore a good set of knee pads, pretty good set of Fox.

Post a reply to: "I wouldn't ride without them.."

The Latest