I want to work for a race team as a mechanic... Any help

deezy6520
Edited Date/Time 11/4/2015 6:50pm
I have a plan but just wanna see if someone could help me.
|
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/1/2015 9:43pm
Move to Southern CA, meet some amateur riders, wrench for them until they turn pro... All about who you know, not what you know(to some degree).
11/1/2015 9:44pm Edited Date/Time 11/1/2015 9:44pm
Get really good at grips and graphics.

The Shop

11/2/2015 6:51am
Don't go to MMI. Going into a ton of student debt to get a job that is all about who you know is pretty silly.
I agree. What these schools charge today for what you're going to make after your out isn't worth it.
deezy6520
11/2/2015 11:00am
I already have talked to Scott 15500 dollars im heading there oct of 2016 .... just wanted to see if anyone had an other avenues
Cygnus
11/2/2015 11:27am
Damn that's some serious bank. More than you will make the first year.
Tiki
Fantasy
1695th
11/2/2015 11:49am
Cygnus wrote:
Damn that's some serious bank. More than you will make the first year.
$15,500.00 you may have read it as $155,000 that freaking coma! 15K is dirt cheap for trade school if you ask me. That's a year at most small state universities and any union trade you are looking at five years of schooling along with working.

If I was this kid, I would be attending the mini nationals and letting every deep pocket parent know he was for hire. Sucks but it might work. Other than that, get a job as a motor mechanic and moonlight as a wrench.
11/2/2015 12:31pm
tell you what, take that 15k and give it to a team manager to put you on the books.. Im sure alot of teams will do it lol
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/2/2015 12:35pm
15,000 is quite a lot of money but if you need to learn the basics this is a great route to get your foot in the door. The biggest problem is that even if you know everything in the world there is two about being a mechanic until you meet the industry folks and riders it means nothing…

I'm not saying that school is a bad route but for example I grew up in New York and had a dream of making snowboard movies when I was in high school. somehow my parents believed in me and let me use the $7000 which was for my community college to buy my first computer and camera. I moved to California and met the pros, the media from there the rest was history… Now it's been over 10 years and my full-time job.

As long as you are 100% committed and focused either route you go, it will happen!
40Plus_922mx
11/2/2015 12:37pm Edited Date/Time 11/2/2015 12:41pm
In the end this will all boil down to who you know. But having mech/tech knowledge is a must. So you need to get that done. Then you just need to work the social system in the pits at the races and market yourself. Time plus your commitment will see your goal materialize.

1). Get your MMI Cert. While doing this make as many contacts as you can. "My dad works for..." My brother races for..." Etc.

2). Then move to So cal and start passing out your cards at all the races focusing on the up and coming young fastest kids.. Be professional and always DO WHAT YOU SAY YOU ARE GOING TO DO

Getting your career going is like a plane taking off. You gotta give it full throttle down the runway until it gets airborne, then you gotta climb and climb until it reaches altitude where the plane basically flies itself and you just gotta steer it.
Allracing
11/2/2015 12:39pm
So the best thing to do is find an up and coming rider and offer to wrench for them and hopefully they make it and take you with them. Another option is to find a privateer and offer to help them for free at the races, and start networking and working your way up. Don't expect to get paid much for the first couple of years.

The other thing to do is go work for Pro Circuit, Factory Connection, etc. and work your way up from there.
deezy6520
11/3/2015 5:29pm
the 15,500 includes two nationals and supercross events to hand out resumes to the teams... im 22yo and it has took me this long to find something i would enjoy i have a diesel degree already but i did that just because electrical was full before i wanted to start.. im currently working at a kawasaki dealership so i can have more of a general understanding of the basics before school... thanks for the responses
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/3/2015 5:42pm
Just work hard and you will be successful. Working at the dealer is a great step. Try to wrench for some team riders or locals that come in and work your way up. Go to lots of races, pro and amateur so you know how the day runs, where to be and when you need to do what... Good luck!
11/3/2015 6:42pm
$15,500 is manageable if it's a good education. I say go for it.

My formula for student loans is 50% of your entire first year in the fields income.

Example: nurse makes 48,000 roughly to start. Take on no more than 24,000 of debt for your entire degree. Otherwise you will be paying all your income to the interest shark.
deezy6520
11/3/2015 8:38pm
i live in Nebraska we got three circuits i had back surgery so im a mid pack C rider and gonna stay that way my brother on the other hand is a good B rider trying to get him more serious in it so we can go to bigger races before i leave ill hit a national and a supercross and get pit passes this time to see how the teams work... oh yeah this school is in a college but not supported by fasfa so i will be loaning the 15,500
h&m_cycle
11/3/2015 8:56pm
Yeah, I'm sure a lot of people would like to have that career... People in hell want icewaterSilly

lumpy790
11/3/2015 9:42pm
Give Team Gus or Privateer Journey a call.
MB109
11/4/2015 5:20am
15,000 is quite a lot of money but if you need to learn the basics this is a great route to get your foot in the...
15,000 is quite a lot of money but if you need to learn the basics this is a great route to get your foot in the door. The biggest problem is that even if you know everything in the world there is two about being a mechanic until you meet the industry folks and riders it means nothing…

I'm not saying that school is a bad route but for example I grew up in New York and had a dream of making snowboard movies when I was in high school. somehow my parents believed in me and let me use the $7000 which was for my community college to buy my first computer and camera. I moved to California and met the pros, the media from there the rest was history… Now it's been over 10 years and my full-time job.

As long as you are 100% committed and focused either route you go, it will happen!
Since I joined the forums, I've always wondered if you were the same Joe Carlino...Jed's part in These Days got me into snowboarding and you did a great job on the Nike video as well.
Darryl916
11/4/2015 7:10am
Move to Southern CA, meet some amateur riders, wrench for them until they turn pro... All about who you know, not what you know(to some degree).
This.

Those schools don't write your ticket. they also don't teach you what you would learn looking over someones shoulder for a week. Not worth getting in debt unless you don't even understand the basics of a 4 cycle engine.

All about finding a mentor and being talented enough to understand what is going on enough to jump right in and be of value and learn as you go. Same as you would need to do AFTER dropping a bunch of coin on a school. May as well skip it. Go listen to the episode of Pulp MX where they discuss this topic (it's a popular one; ton's of kids want to be mechanics). You will notice most of the big names in the industry say they have seen some of the worst mechanics ever come out of those schools.

Good luck.
Uncle Tony
11/4/2015 7:15am
Darryl916 wrote:
This. Those schools don't write your ticket. they also don't teach you what you would learn looking over someones shoulder for a week. Not worth getting...
This.

Those schools don't write your ticket. they also don't teach you what you would learn looking over someones shoulder for a week. Not worth getting in debt unless you don't even understand the basics of a 4 cycle engine.

All about finding a mentor and being talented enough to understand what is going on enough to jump right in and be of value and learn as you go. Same as you would need to do AFTER dropping a bunch of coin on a school. May as well skip it. Go listen to the episode of Pulp MX where they discuss this topic (it's a popular one; ton's of kids want to be mechanics). You will notice most of the big names in the industry say they have seen some of the worst mechanics ever come out of those schools.

Good luck.
I agree with this also, i worked as a mechanic at a Honda shop for years loved watching the MMI grads walk around with their torque wrenches snapping 6mm bolts all day long
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/4/2015 7:15am
15,000 is quite a lot of money but if you need to learn the basics this is a great route to get your foot in the...

MB109 wrote:
Since I joined the forums, I've always wondered if you were the same Joe Carlino...Jed's part in These Days got me into snowboarding and you did...
Since I joined the forums, I've always wondered if you were the same Joe Carlino...Jed's part in These Days got me into snowboarding and you did a great job on the Nike video as well.
Awesome, Jed is a beast! Stoked you like the videos, thanks man!
11/4/2015 7:54am
Just so you know most 95% of the industry won't even look at your resume if you haven't completed MMI and worked as a wrench hand in the pits somewhere or back of a shop. You need to put in at least 2-3 years as a ballboy before thinking you'll be placed on a race team of any kind.

MMI has close ties to the industry in all forms...so getting in good with those dudes is gonna help you move forward in your career. Meet as many and help out as many people there as you can. You never know who will walk into their facilities.

Understand this is a very competitive industry, so getting that MMI cert is a good start.
Cygnus
11/4/2015 8:00am
Most of the shops I've worked in just file MMI grads resumes in the round file by the door. You need to teach them all real world mechanics not just taking apart and reassembling some engine that's never seen gas or oil.
fidiot
11/4/2015 9:04am
Find another dream. Not worth it.
500guy
11/4/2015 9:15am
fidiot wrote:
I helped out a Privateer for 16 months and didn't make a dime, I probably wouldn't do it again but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
11/4/2015 9:18am
Find someone who could use another hand, The way i did it was go to the races and help whoever needed some help. Ive worked for bunch of guys including Kevin Urquhart, chris blose and Kyle Chisholm. If you can get in with one guy like that and they like what you have done they will help you as much as they can. It worked for me!
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
11/4/2015 9:41am
fidiot wrote:
500guy wrote:
I helped out a Privateer for 16 months and didn't make a dime, I probably wouldn't do it again but I wouldn't trade the experience for...
I helped out a Privateer for 16 months and didn't make a dime, I probably wouldn't do it again but I wouldn't trade the experience for anything.
It will take longer than a year to land a great job or even one you can live off.

When I moved to CA with the dream to shoot snowboard videos I was making $100 per edit and only making 4 per month, so I had real jobs that paid my bills. I would go back to NY in the summer and edit wedding videos. The next winter I was able to make $1,200 a month and it kept growing. Eventually after being around the scene and meeting all the industry(4Years of grinding) I got a job at Transworld. Now 10 years later I'm making enough to buy a house, the toys and live well. The funny thing is that I got the job at Transworld because my friend who I met snowboarding was an intern there, he threw out my name as, "This kid from Big Bear who shoots videos"... For a while I was just, "Evan's Buddy from Big Bear" at the office...

Nothing is going to come easy, but if you want it to happen, you can make it happen...

Post a reply to: I want to work for a race team as a mechanic... Any help

The Latest