I think this is tacky.

Edited Date/Time 2/27/2019 5:56am

I don’t know Cole personally, and I am sure he means well in gist and is poking fun at himself. This is not a personal attack on him.

However, I’m going to come out and say I’m ready for this trend to die off in motocross. The first time I saw something like this in mid 00’s - it was in Racer X where a guy taped his maxed out credit card to his rear fender. It was clever and funny. Now today between the kid that raced with blue jeans to the litany of bikes with “help me/your logo/etc” it’s a signal of martyrdom and strikes me as classless.

I’ve asked for help before, so I’m not innocent of doing anything for a dollar. Yet, you don’t see guys in single A or double A ball posting photos practicing in blue jeans and bitching on social media about low payout or being treated unfairly. Sports are political, unfair, and hard. Motorsports included.

But how many riders can legitimately say “I put a help needed sign on a bike and someone wrote me a $1000 check the next week”? Wild idea- keep the cheap jokes in the pits and do something clever to raise cash. A local pro rider from my area hosts an annual trap shooting event with proceeds going to him. Where the sponsors are lacking he figures out a way to make the dream happen. Props to him for not lazily putting a tacky graphic on his bike and hoping someone just walks up with hundreds out their billfold. Let the signaling and the trend die, and the appreciation to be a pro live on.

End rant.
|
observeroffacts
Fantasy
3717th
2/26/2019 10:30am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 10:35am
Every other set of graphics ever made is an advertisement forcibly put in your face, without invitation, to encourage you to buy a product and consequently invest in the advertiser.

This graphic is absolutely not different from an objective standpoint than if it read “monster energy”. Both want your money. Both are advertising on this idea with a sticker on the shroud of a motorcycle.

If nobody is paying him and he wants paid, saying so is just fine.
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
2/26/2019 10:36am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/26/328125/s1200_47436206_ABFB_4317_B98B_457D3AD44706.jpg[/img] I don’t know Cole personally, and I am sure he means well in gist and is poking fun at himself. This is not a personal...

I don’t know Cole personally, and I am sure he means well in gist and is poking fun at himself. This is not a personal attack on him.

However, I’m going to come out and say I’m ready for this trend to die off in motocross. The first time I saw something like this in mid 00’s - it was in Racer X where a guy taped his maxed out credit card to his rear fender. It was clever and funny. Now today between the kid that raced with blue jeans to the litany of bikes with “help me/your logo/etc” it’s a signal of martyrdom and strikes me as classless.

I’ve asked for help before, so I’m not innocent of doing anything for a dollar. Yet, you don’t see guys in single A or double A ball posting photos practicing in blue jeans and bitching on social media about low payout or being treated unfairly. Sports are political, unfair, and hard. Motorsports included.

But how many riders can legitimately say “I put a help needed sign on a bike and someone wrote me a $1000 check the next week”? Wild idea- keep the cheap jokes in the pits and do something clever to raise cash. A local pro rider from my area hosts an annual trap shooting event with proceeds going to him. Where the sponsors are lacking he figures out a way to make the dream happen. Props to him for not lazily putting a tacky graphic on his bike and hoping someone just walks up with hundreds out their billfold. Let the signaling and the trend die, and the appreciation to be a pro live on.

End rant.
My first thought isnt that he is looking
For a Hand out from individuals, i took it as someone hoping by doing that , that sponsors would approach
Him , so in my mind it doesn't seem like a bad idea.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/26/2019 10:38am
Agree to disagree.

Just about everyone who lines up on the gate is marketing themselves or their sponsors in some fashion. Cole gets a lot of attention in Europe. Over here? Maybe not so much. I don’t see anything wrong with it. It served its purpose, and attracted some attention.
jeffro503
2/26/2019 10:41am
I don't really see it as " tacky ". I see it more or less that it's saying " Hey everyone , I have an open area right here to advertise your product , in trade for some help."

The only thing that I can see wrong with it though , is that maybe that space should of been taken up by his biggest sponsor he has at the moment.

The Shop

liver
2/26/2019 10:46am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 10:46am
The subject is a microcosm of a basic human condition. Humans spend (waste) a lifetime trying to make others more like “them”, it’s interesting, and you don’t see real world intelligent people doing this, because smart folks know people don’t really change much
2/26/2019 10:49am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 10:52am
I think I have seen some sort of "Your ad Here" placeholder on every available advertising media. Not sure why a rad shroud is any different or "tackier".
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
2/26/2019 10:52am
You having a rant about a racer letting potential sponsors know that he has space on his bike plastics for their Logo?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I call that "entrepreneurship"

Rant over, Whistling
rallendude
2/26/2019 10:57am
I think it's smart. Anyone looking to spend a little disposable income to sponsor a rider can find a place to spend it right there. If his shroud says Suzuki, or Fox, or whatever, then potential sponsors may think since he has a respectable two digit number that he's already got help.
kb228
2/26/2019 10:58am
Nothing wrong with that.
Robgvx
2/26/2019 11:00am
GuyB wrote:
Agree to disagree. Just about everyone who lines up on the gate is marketing themselves or their sponsors in some fashion. Cole gets a lot of...
Agree to disagree.

Just about everyone who lines up on the gate is marketing themselves or their sponsors in some fashion. Cole gets a lot of attention in Europe. Over here? Maybe not so much. I don’t see anything wrong with it. It served its purpose, and attracted some attention.
Would you run a ‘Need advertisers’ banner?
DoctorJD
2/26/2019 11:02am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 11:03am
The sh*t people get worked-up over. SMH.
2/26/2019 11:02am
GuyB wrote:
Agree to disagree. Just about everyone who lines up on the gate is marketing themselves or their sponsors in some fashion. Cole gets a lot of...
Agree to disagree.

Robgvx wrote:
They run a link right there, bottom center.
Buzzard167
2/26/2019 11:03am
I think its more of a joke, but if not cant say I blame the guy. I feel like there is a lot of shit in MX/SX that is wayyyyyyyyyyyy tackier than this.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
2/26/2019 11:04am
rallendude wrote:
I think it's smart. Anyone looking to spend a little disposable income to sponsor a rider can find a place to spend it right there. If...
I think it's smart. Anyone looking to spend a little disposable income to sponsor a rider can find a place to spend it right there. If his shroud says Suzuki, or Fox, or whatever, then potential sponsors may think since he has a respectable two digit number that he's already got help.
Well said ol' chap.....
newmann
2/26/2019 11:16am
I've paid a few entry fees or thrown a little cash one way or another to a few riders looking to make it to the next race. If you like what they are doing and how they are going about it, why not. Now, if they are asking for help and posting on Instagram from the beach or posting up pics of their new truck rolling around on 24's, they probably aren't going to get much help.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/26/2019 11:16am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 11:17am
Robgvx wrote:
If we were struggling? Maybe. I’d like to think that site sponsors see the benefit of advertising here.
seth505
Fantasy
1092nd
2/26/2019 11:25am
Back in the day I rode pro bicycle events (with sponsors) with Christina Aguilera stickers on my bikes, so I'll respectfully disagree.
2/26/2019 11:29am
meh - I wouldn’t do it but it’s hard to get worked up about. OP its possible you see it as weakness and are offended by such. That’s OK in my book.
crowe176
2/26/2019 11:31am
DoctorJD wrote:
The sh*t people get worked-up over. SMH.
That's basically what I was thinking when I was reading the OP.. These kind of posts are more idiotic than a bike graphic.
mauidex
2/26/2019 11:32am
just needed to be worded different, like "sponsors needed" or the typical "your logo here", yeah it is tacky but as someone said hate the game...........hes just trying to make it week to week I'm sure
footglove
2/26/2019 11:33am
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/26/328125/s1200_47436206_ABFB_4317_B98B_457D3AD44706.jpg[/img] I don’t know Cole personally, and I am sure he means well in gist and is poking fun at himself. This is not a personal...

End rant.
Difference in Single A ball and SX is that ball players don't pay for their transportation to the games. They don't pay for their equipment. I understand your point, but don't see a whole lot of connection here.
GregDVT
2/26/2019 11:36am
I’d rather see “need help” than “send nudes” or Ronnie macs famous motto. If anything I think Ronnie Mac is tacky as hell and the kind of thing I’d expect from a 17 year old.
GregDVT
2/26/2019 11:38am Edited Date/Time 2/26/2019 12:12pm

End rant.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/26/2019 11:46am
I'm just happy he wasn't asking for help after the race. (That's from practice.)

Post a reply to: I think this is tacky.

The Latest