I think SX is now the most brutal series....

lumpy790
1/14/2018 5:51am
Those of us that started watching SX in the 70’s have seen this many times before now.

Those of you blame 4 strokes have forgotten Last year
jtiger12
1/14/2018 6:44am Edited Date/Time 1/14/2018 6:51am
jeffro503 wrote:
I mean , how can it not be? Riders getting wounded at every round. The outdoors seems more physically demanding , but damn...Supercross is taking our...
I mean , how can it not be? Riders getting wounded at every round. The outdoors seems more physically demanding , but damn...Supercross is taking our dudes out right , left and center! Sheesh!
Jeffro, you've been in the sport for 20 years, or more, you just now came to this revelation? (Or was this alcohol induced)

I still remember when jimmy button got paralyzed, in practice. That was the first big injury of the 4 stroke sx era. That was 18 years ago this month.
Johnny Depp
1/14/2018 7:03am
Samuel wrote:
Most of the injuries that have happened weren't from huge jumps. Marvin tried a poor technique in the whoops. Eli brain-farted on the tiniest jump. You...
Most of the injuries that have happened weren't from huge jumps. Marvin tried a poor technique in the whoops. Eli brain-farted on the tiniest jump. You could tame all of the jumps, and the top two stars are still out. I don't think we can place the blame on the tracks. The track isn't twisting the grip. The track isn't choosing to jump through the whoops after a straight. I don't recall anyone crashing themselves as a result of a huge obstacle in these first two rounds.
That is right in regards to the top 2 this year. It is not representative of the sport as a whole.

pilotdude
1/14/2018 7:57am
Jeffro is absolutely right and simply saying out loud what most people are thinking. The 17 round Roman Circus is the meatgrinder that has caused the the foundational series, which starts in May, to suffer. I find supercross to be as entertaining as the next guy but Filthy Phil calls it "Deathcross" for a reason.

Injuries and "supercross only" contracts take a toll on the series that represents the sport we, and almost everyone else, actually ride-the outdoors. The recent talk of expanding the supercross schedule to even more races shows total disregard to the level of attrition and burnout suffered by the riders, as well as indifference to the damage that would absolutely be inflicted on the Nationals.

But hey, let the $$$ flow and lets "grow the sport."

The Shop

cr12500
Fantasy
493rd
1/14/2018 8:13am

Compare 1995 to 2017.

The jumps are much smaller, the speed much slower. A modern bike would make that track look like a pee-wee track. I'm not suggesting we go back to that but the speeds are too high because the bikes are too good. Higher speeds equal less forgiving crashes.

Hammer 663s
1/14/2018 8:25am
Not sure I agree. On occasion I watch the Pro Bull Riding series on TV. Those guys are always hurt, and it's rare that a night goes by w/o someone being carted off. Call it a tie. It is interesting to note over the years the major improvement in safety gear in bull riding - flak vest and full face cage helmets are common now when it used to be jeans, a shirt, and a cowboy hat only.

Of course, I would never do either - try to ride a pro-level SX track or get on the back of a bull. Both sets of athletes are a bit crazy and both sports have a very high level of inherent danger, regardless of what gear you are wearing.

M
DA498
1/14/2018 8:34am
kx254f wrote:
Makes you wonder how the hell Dungey survived all those years unscathed? Either he’s the powerball winner type or knew how to stay in his comfort...
Makes you wonder how the hell Dungey survived all those years unscathed? Either he’s the powerball winner type or knew how to stay in his comfort zone... but damn that was a fast comfort zone.
I think of this all the time now! His career blows my mind more every race he’s not in. So under rated while he was relevant. This sport is brutal.
Prejump
1/14/2018 9:34am
The chances of injury in SX seems so high at the moment.

When you see the track walk video on facebook you can really see the steep transitions, harsh whoops.

I guess the riders are ok with the tracks difficulty as they would be protesting otherwise, have riders ever protested ?

Im guessing many top MXGP riders are going to be less inspired to race in america in future as SX will be seen as too risky.

jeffro503
1/14/2018 10:24am
jeffro503 wrote:
I mean , how can it not be? Riders getting wounded at every round. The outdoors seems more physically demanding , but damn...Supercross is taking our...
I mean , how can it not be? Riders getting wounded at every round. The outdoors seems more physically demanding , but damn...Supercross is taking our dudes out right , left and center! Sheesh!
jtiger12 wrote:
Jeffro, you've been in the sport for 20 years, or more, you just now came to this revelation? (Or was this alcohol induced) I still remember...
Jeffro, you've been in the sport for 20 years, or more, you just now came to this revelation? (Or was this alcohol induced)

I still remember when jimmy button got paralyzed, in practice. That was the first big injury of the 4 stroke sx era. That was 18 years ago this month.
About 35 years actually haha....BUT , yeah I know injuries have and always will be part of this sport. Was just trying to say that in SX , everything seems so unforgivable when you make a slight mistake. Like literally every few seconds , of every lap , you are getting ready to hit an obstacle that could end your whole season of you mis-judge it. That , and combined with the speeds on these tracks , pretty much make it a 20+ min survival race.

If you go back to the 80's , 90's and even into the mid 2000's , guys were wrecking for sure , but they weren't impaling themselves into the ground so hard that it ruined their whole season , in just one wreck , near as frequently as what we see today. And yeah , injuries have always happened in this sport.....but now days the riders don't seem to be able to take the impacts that well. Because of the speeds they are carrying on 70hp 450's.
Claerhout
Fantasy
555th
1/14/2018 1:06pm
Tomac and Marvs crashes weren't that bad to where it's this whole new level of insanity. If they were, id agree with you. No one makes these guys push too hard. I believe they would push on any track they were on.
Claerhout
Fantasy
555th
1/14/2018 1:16pm
If it were pure horsepower and the inability to handle it, you'd think more would happen during the outdoors where speeds are higher and jumps bigger.

The sport is much more competitive now as opposed to in the 90s. More pressure. Mistakes more easily made and paid for. They all train hard, push the limits, and a bunch more riders think, and know, they can win.
jtiger12
1/14/2018 4:09pm
jeffro503 wrote:
jtiger12 wrote:
Jeffro, you've been in the sport for 20 years, or more, you just now came to this revelation? (Or was this alcohol induced) I still remember...

jeffro503 wrote:
About 35 years actually haha....BUT , yeah I know injuries have and always will be part of this sport. Was just trying to say that in...
About 35 years actually haha....BUT , yeah I know injuries have and always will be part of this sport. Was just trying to say that in SX , everything seems so unforgivable when you make a slight mistake. Like literally every few seconds , of every lap , you are getting ready to hit an obstacle that could end your whole season of you mis-judge it. That , and combined with the speeds on these tracks , pretty much make it a 20+ min survival race.

If you go back to the 80's , 90's and even into the mid 2000's , guys were wrecking for sure , but they weren't impaling themselves into the ground so hard that it ruined their whole season , in just one wreck , near as frequently as what we see today. And yeah , injuries have always happened in this sport.....but now days the riders don't seem to be able to take the impacts that well. Because of the speeds they are carrying on 70hp 450's.
Not a dig, just sayin.
bball35
1/14/2018 4:21pm
jeffro503 wrote:
kx254f wrote:
Makes you wonder how the hell Dungey survived all those years unscathed? Either he’s the powerball winner type or knew how to stay in his comfort...
Makes you wonder how the hell Dungey survived all those years unscathed? Either he’s the powerball winner type or knew how to stay in his comfort zone... but damn that was a fast comfort zone.
Dungey wasn’t the fastest smooth rider I ever saw. He was so smooth he looked slow but then you neck the laptimes and he’s the fastest. There will never be another Dungey.
ktmdan
1/14/2018 6:05pm
kx254f wrote:
DA498 wrote:
I think of this all the time now! His career blows my mind more every race he’s not in. So under rated while he was relevant...
I think of this all the time now! His career blows my mind more every race he’s not in. So under rated while he was relevant. This sport is brutal.
Totally agree with y'all but isn't it funny how we consider a broken back 'relatively unscathed'. Goes to show how gnarly the sport is.
brimx153
1/14/2018 6:05pm
does no one remember every year when MC was winning . before each season it was ,this could be the year of Lusk or Huffman, Emig etc etc , then without fail riders would be getting injured . i really don nt think there is any more injuries today than mid 90 s or 2000s there was a ton of guys out every year .

Post a reply to: I think SX is now the most brutal series....

The Latest