I think France is the team to beat at this years MXoN

Related:
Create New Tag

7/3/2018 12:42 PM

Many have stated the the US has it won this year, stamping it. I have heard it several time from Matthes on the PulpMX show.

However thinking about the likely teams, I think France has to be the favorite. In all likelihood two of their 3 riders are US National racers, Marvin and Ferrandis, the third is a damn good rider out of the GP's.

We may have Eli (he keeps saying he will race it), but outside him, who goes, and who goes that will be CONSISTENTLY higher than the French team?

It is easy to think our guys have experience on the track, but so will 2/3rds of the French team and we see how well they are riding now.

My $.02, whats yours?

|

7/3/2018 12:44 PM

It'll be close, but I think I agree.

|

7/3/2018 1:00 PM

Not sure if Musquin will be in. I think they will go with Febvre and Paulin if they don't get injured. Ferrandis will for sure be in though if he keeps this going. Since Paturel moved up.

|

7/3/2018 1:01 PM

Never underestimate the home soil aspect.

|

vomiting equals disqualification.

7/3/2018 1:03 PM

What about Holland? If Vlaanderen has a weekend like last weekend together with Herlings and Coldenhoff cool

|

7/3/2018 1:03 PM

I could see France snubbing Marvin again. Or Ferrandis as well. They’ve shown a disdain for what they consider to be expats.

|

7/3/2018 1:04 PM

DimitrieSep wrote:

What about Holland? If Vlaanderen has a weekend like last weekend together with Herlings and Coldenhoff cool

Too bad Vlaanderen rides for South Africa since beginning of this season.... at least in the results. Don't know if he can just switch it up when it's MXON time? Because Pootjes isn't fast enough.

|

7/3/2018 1:06 PM

I do think a Musquin, Ferrandis + Febvre/Paulin team would be a formidable one, though.

|

7/3/2018 1:09 PM

I started a similar thread last night. No one wants to believe that Ferrandis might be the best guy on a 250 in the world at the moment. He's that good IMO. He'd smoke Jonass or Prado, and after coming back from injury he's showing great speed and fitness. I'm willing to bet he scores the most points in the final 6 rounds of the season. And at MXoN he covers any American. Plessinger IMO is a big risk at MXoN. His starts are very inconsistent and the pressure is going to be immense. I'd take Amart as he already has a couple under his belt.

Tomac and Musquin are basically a wash in MX1. Eli's starts are a serious concern for MXoN, while Marvin is a consistently great starter. So that leaves one of Barcia/Baggett/Anderson up against Febvre/Paulin, both of whom are superb when they race MXoN. I'd take Barcia, he gets good starts and is an absolute fighter. Plus he's had great MXoN rides in the past.

It's very close, but right now if everyone is healthy I give the edge to France. Home track is important, but it's MXoN and strange things happen. If the USA has Tomac and Plessinger in the team bad starts are probable.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

7/3/2018 1:11 PM

I cant picture France taking either Febvre or Paulin off the roster. They have performed each time they were picked. If Dylan goes, that will be an extremely tough team to beat. I dont think there is a single team you can stamp to win. USA SHOULD be good (barring injuries) and home soil. France will be excellent. Germany could be a sneaky good team with Roczen Nagl and Jacobi. The dutch have been good lately. Great Britain could have 3 really good guys with both Mewse and Watson doing well this year. Australia? Feel free to add any other team to that list that could also come in under the radar and walk away with the win.

|

7/3/2018 1:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2018 1:16 PM

WhatsStoppingU wrote:

I could see France snubbing Marvin again. Or Ferrandis as well. They’ve shown a disdain for what they consider to be expats.

Marv was on the PulpMX show last night and said that the guy responsible for the French MXdN team is coming to Red Bud, where the two will begin discussions about the whole thing

and yes.. France will be the team to beat IMO. The Dutch will be good also

|

Positively, absolutely 110% obsessed with anything MOTO.

7/3/2018 1:17 PM

Renner153 wrote:

I cant picture France taking either Febvre or Paulin off the roster. They have performed each time they were picked. If Dylan goes, that will be an extremely tough team to beat. I dont think there is a single team you can stamp to win. USA SHOULD be good (barring injuries) and home soil. France will be excellent. Germany could be a sneaky good team with Roczen Nagl and Jacobi. The dutch have been good lately. Great Britain could have 3 really good guys with both Mewse and Watson doing well this year. Australia? Feel free to add any other team to that list that could also come in under the radar and walk away with the win.

Belgium could be really good also. Desalle / v Horebeek or Lieber / Geerts

|

7/3/2018 1:21 PM

Febvre has been dealing with some ankle problems too, from his interview on MXVice it sounds like he's still not 100%. If he needs any surgery then he's very unlikely for MXoN. But maybe he will be 100% by October.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

7/3/2018 1:32 PM

hamncheeze wrote:

I started a similar thread last night. No one wants to believe that Ferrandis might be the best guy on a 250 in the world at the moment. He's that good IMO. He'd smoke Jonass or Prado, and after coming back from injury he's showing great speed and fitness. I'm willing to bet he scores the most points in the final 6 rounds of the season. And at MXoN he covers any American. Plessinger IMO is a big risk at MXoN. His starts are very inconsistent and the pressure is going to be immense. I'd take Amart as he already has a couple under his belt.

Tomac and Musquin are basically a wash in MX1. Eli's starts are a serious concern for MXoN, while Marvin is a consistently great starter. So that leaves one of Barcia/Baggett/Anderson up against Febvre/Paulin, both of whom are superb when they race MXoN. I'd take Barcia, he gets good starts and is an absolute fighter. Plus he's had great MXoN rides in the past.

It's very close, but right now if everyone is healthy I give the edge to France. Home track is important, but it's MXoN and strange things happen. If the USA has Tomac and Plessinger in the team bad starts are probable.

I won't really argue about Dylan. Amart seems noticeably faster but can't stay off the ground. Factor in Dyan is prob still finding his groove coming back from an injury. But no way is Tomac and Marvin a wash. Just look at the results. While not consistent Tomac's starts aren't awful. He can also seeming throw down laps 2sec.faster than anyone at will if he needs to. On a normal race day the only way Moose can beat Eli is hoping he has a bad day. France is gonna make the US work for it that's for damn sure

|

7/3/2018 1:33 PM

France is gonna sign up with a team consisting of a washed up bmx rider. A enduro rider that’s preparing for Paris-Dakar and a rallycross racer... and still win it..

|

7/3/2018 1:34 PM

“I think”....? smile

|

7/3/2018 1:45 PM

I like pulp but you can’t stamp the win. I mean shit when was the last time we won . 2011 right? France is gonna be tough to beat

|

7/3/2018 2:14 PM

WhatsStoppingU wrote:

I could see France snubbing Marvin again. Or Ferrandis as well. They’ve shown a disdain for what they consider to be expats.

No way, not on US soil. Ferrandis is a no brainer nor is Musquin. This guys are already on US soil so low cost for the french federation. Team France will be (bare injuries of course) Ferrandis + Musquin + Febvre or Paulin.
And on homesoil, the team USA will always be the team to beat.

|

7/3/2018 2:14 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2018 2:32 PM

wideopen198 wrote:

Too bad Vlaanderen rides for South Africa since beginning of this season.... at least in the results. Don't know if he can just switch it up when it's MXON time? Because Pootjes isn't fast enough.

he has a dutch passport and dutch racing license and has raced before for the netherlands .. i think he would be by far the best choice at the moment

Team orange is going for Gold this time , after 2 second places :-) with a bit of luck its possible

|

the funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realise it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it

7/3/2018 2:21 PM

Looking at the big MX teams in terms of countries this year, US, France, Germany, Belgium, UK, this has to be one of the best years for overall talent that we have seen in a long time. So many times one or two countries have stacked teams and the rest do what they can. It should be an exciting one this year.

|

7/3/2018 2:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2018 2:29 PM

cbuehler767 wrote:

I won't really argue about Dylan. Amart seems noticeably faster but can't stay off the ground. Factor in Dyan is prob still finding his groove coming back from an injury. But no way is Tomac and Marvin a wash. Just look at the results. While not consistent Tomac's starts aren't awful. He can also seeming throw down laps 2sec.faster than anyone at will if he needs to. On a normal race day the only way Moose can beat Eli is hoping he has a bad day. France is gonna make the US work for it that's for damn sure

AMart vs. Dylan, I mean Dylan has 2 moto wins and an overall in 3 races back. Alex has none all season. I don't think Alex had moto 2 at Muddy Creek sewn up either, Ferrandis was coming fast. And in moto 2 at Southwick Ferrandis was faster, quite a bit fasterr, once he moved into 3rd. Speed wise I think he has Alex covered going forward, and for as fast as Alex has been of late it has been at the expense of his consistency.

http://racerxonline.com/2018/07/03/sign-of-the-lap-times-southwick

As for the big boys, I mean in the context of MXoN Marvin and Eli are a wash. If they both ride MX1 I could seem them swapping out moto scores. Again, massive variables at MXoN with the starts, which rider the nation selects to get the early gate pick, etc, etc. And seems to me at High Point both motos and moto 1 at Southwick, Marvin was pretty competitive.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

7/3/2018 2:36 PM

Eli is blazing fast, and with a decent start I see him battling Herlings and Caroli battling Marvin.

However looking at how things are going this year, chances are Eli does not get a good start, so he has to battle back, which he has shown he can do. Though if Marv and Caroli is ahead of him, he will be a fight to get past them, as it seems to always be a fight to get past them. Keep in mind I have not even mentioned Roczen.

If Herlings is up front and Tomac is fighting back from a bad start, good by Herlings. If Marvin is up chasing Herlings, or even leading him and Tomac is battling back, then those two may very well just put such a gap that there is no catching them with out a very high risk of going down.

|

7/3/2018 2:39 PM

Will MXoN be on the metal starting grate? If so that might help the Tomac starts? Unless his outdoor starts are not as good because of the bike setup differences between SX and MX.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

7/3/2018 2:40 PM

wideopen198 wrote:

Not sure if Musquin will be in. I think they will go with Febvre and Paulin if they don't get injured. Ferrandis will for sure be in though if he keeps this going. Since Paturel moved up.

Remember that MXoN is in Red Bud and Marvin/Dylan have more experience with this track than others(Paulin/Fevbre).
That speaks for US based riders.

|

18 Yamaha YZ450F
94 Honda CR 500
90 Honda CR 500
81 Yamaha SR 500
68 BSA Thunderbolt
69 Triumph Tiger 100

7/3/2018 2:48 PM

True David, and I am taking that in to account. The key factor is 3 riders consistantly finishing higher than the others. Do I think French riders will win every race? No, but they do not need to. Can Eli win his two races, he can, it will be tough with Herlings there and home field will help.

Will the other 2 US riders win their races? We do not know who they will be, but out of who is left after Tomac I will say no, no chance. Will they come in Second..unlikely. The key thing is to bench race those on the course and see where we think the US riders will end up compared to the other riders, especially the French team. I think Tomac scores the lowest (which is best in this regards) and in the other two classes the French riders finish consistently lower than the other 2 US riders.

|

7/3/2018 2:53 PM

hamncheeze wrote:

AMart vs. Dylan, I mean Dylan has 2 moto wins and an overall in 3 races back. Alex has none all season. I don't think Alex had moto 2 at Muddy Creek sewn up either, Ferrandis was coming fast. And in moto 2 at Southwick Ferrandis was faster, quite a bit fasterr, once he moved into 3rd. Speed wise I think he has Alex covered going forward, and for as fast as Alex has been of late it has been at the expense of his consistency.

http://racerxonline.com/2018/07/03/sign-of-the-lap-times-southwick

As for the big boys, I mean in the context of MXoN Marvin and Eli are a wash. If they both ride MX1 I could seem them swapping out moto scores. Again, massive variables at MXoN with the starts, which rider the nation selects to get the early gate pick, etc, etc. And seems to me at High Point both motos and moto 1 at Southwick, Marvin was pretty competitive.

Ya to my eye Amart has more pure speed but does that really mean anything but you can't stay off the ground?

|

7/3/2018 2:56 PM

All I know for sure is that I want to see a five-way battle between Herlings, Tomac, Cairoli, Marvin, and Kenny.

|

7/3/2018 3:29 PM
Edited Date/Time: 7/3/2018 3:31 PM

Is Zach out for MXDN? I think Anderson is in. Anderson beat everybody (including 84) a couple years ago on a track he'd never raced. And Eli is fine, even with a bad start.

If we show up with 3, 21, and 16 it's game over.


No shade to OP. France is legit (and by the way, has 5x less people to choose from than we do).

|

7/3/2018 3:37 PM

If the race was anywhere but the US, I'd agree. The race being at Red Bud makes it a fairly even contest IMO.

|

7/3/2018 3:38 PM

kage173 wrote:

Is Zach out for MXDN? I think Anderson is in. Anderson beat everybody (including 84) a couple years ago on a track he'd never raced. And Eli is fine, even with a bad start.

If we show up with 3, 21, and 16 it's game over.


No shade to OP. France is legit (and by the way, has 5x less people to choose from than we do).

Two guys that aren't even racing. How do you take Anderson over Barcia? He's not done much at all outdoors. Barcia has won on a 450 at MXdN also.

|