I spoke with my tools/ build thread

Jharper
Edited Date/Time 3/18/2020 9:48pm
UPDATED PICS ON PAGE TWO!

So I finally finished building my CR250AF project. It’s a 1998 CR250 engine in a 2017 CRF 450 frame. It’s been a lot of fun and a real learning experience. There’s so much that goes into these things. Just when I think I’ve got everything, I realize I’m missing a bolt or a spring. I went through everything today and tightened all the bolts and such, then I rode it on it’s maiden voyage. It’s so light and powerful, I really missed the feel of a two stroke.

Anyway, if anyone is interested I’ll post pics from throughout the build and how it started etc. Mike at M works did the frame and did a terrific job. He also fabricated the SS Airbox.

I still need to cut down the subframe bolts and adjust the chain and some other minor things, but it was a blast to start and ride it. It took quite a few parts and quite a bit of doing, so I guess I spoke with my tools AND my wallet on this one.

|
jeffro503
5/27/2019 4:54pm
Very nice man! I take it you may have a build thread going for this? hard to tell from this pic , but it looks like a clean conversion and you matched things up well. That 2 stroke motor looks very nice in that frame indeed! Ride report to follow I hope!
Jharper
5/27/2019 5:00pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Very nice man! I take it you may have a build thread going for this? hard to tell from this pic , but it looks like...
Very nice man! I take it you may have a build thread going for this? hard to tell from this pic , but it looks like a clean conversion and you matched things up well. That 2 stroke motor looks very nice in that frame indeed! Ride report to follow I hope!
Thanks Jeffro!

I had a thread prior to starting, but I didn’t actually start a build thread. I just wanted people’s opinions on whether to make it look like my 450 or keep it stock looking. I think this was the way to go. If there’s an interest I’ll definitely post pics of the build throughout. I had a lot of minor little issues as I went. I’ll be sure to post a ride review too once I take it to the track. Unfortunately, all I got to do today was rip it up and down the street.

The engine fit spectacularly in the frame. The biggest issue I had/have is electrical. I’m going to have to lengthen the kill switch wire and get some zip ties for the rest of it now. The guy how sold me the engine on eBay sold me mismatched wiring and CDI and stator etc. So I spent quite a bit of time and money ordering three different sets of of electronics to get it right.

Anyway, I’m going to try and 3D print a mount to hold the CDI in place where I’ve got it, which I’ll post here too.
jeffro503
5/27/2019 5:09pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Very nice man! I take it you may have a build thread going for this? hard to tell from this pic , but it looks like...
Jharper wrote:
Thanks Jeffro! I had a thread prior to starting, but I didn’t actually start a build thread. I just wanted people’s opinions on whether to make...
Thanks Jeffro!

I had a thread prior to starting, but I didn’t actually start a build thread. I just wanted people’s opinions on whether to make it look like my 450 or keep it stock looking. I think this was the way to go. If there’s an interest I’ll definitely post pics of the build throughout. I had a lot of minor little issues as I went. I’ll be sure to post a ride review too once I take it to the track. Unfortunately, all I got to do today was rip it up and down the street.

The engine fit spectacularly in the frame. The biggest issue I had/have is electrical. I’m going to have to lengthen the kill switch wire and get some zip ties for the rest of it now. The guy how sold me the engine on eBay sold me mismatched wiring and CDI and stator etc. So I spent quite a bit of time and money ordering three different sets of of electronics to get it right.

Anyway, I’m going to try and 3D print a mount to hold the CDI in place where I’ve got it, which I’ll post here too.
Yeah for sure man , post a dang build thread! These conversion build's are always something that are extremely informative / just cool to see type builds. I mean I have a short ( not really a build thread ) for my 18' TC 250. Which was basically just a tear down , grease , with a few mods and it's not even in the same ball park as what you have accomplished. These AF build's have always been super cool for me ( and I'm sure many other's ). So heck yeah.....fill us in! It looks awesome so far!
p3fab
5/27/2019 7:35pm
Sick bike! Need more pics!

The Shop

zippytech
5/28/2019 5:15am
Did you use the stock 98 carb? If so what jets are in it?

thanks
7eleven
5/28/2019 6:47am
I had one of those '98 250's and Mitch from PC worked my cylinder, it was the fastest 250 i've ever had. The bike didn't handle that well, but boy could i get starts!
I think you've built yourself a nice little monster! Nice work.
Jharper
5/28/2019 6:55am
Hey everyone. I’ve gone through my phone and gotten a ton of pics throughout the build. I’m going to try and post them all with some explanations on my lunch break.

The carb on the bike is a PWK airstriker. I jetted it based on recommendations that came with the carb. I paid an extra $20 or so to get extra jets and needles. I can tell you what I’ve got in that, it if helps. The stock carb was absolute garbage and no matter what caused it to run super rich and bog. I still have the one I pulled off it.

I will say that the PWK is fantastic when I’m riding it, but I can’t get it to idle for shit right now. I’ve played with it, but perhaps I need to mess with it a bit more. I’m definitely no jetting expert. It was 100 degrees here yesterday too, so that and the humidity played a part I’m sure.

I will have lots more pics of both sides of the bike ASAP. I brought it to work so I can measure some stuff for the CDI Mount. It’s of the same side, but hopefully this will hold you over for now.

And yes. I’m originally from Georgia. I’m addicted to sweet tea.

Jharper
5/28/2019 6:58am
7eleven wrote:
I had one of those '98 250's and Mitch from PC worked my cylinder, it was the fastest 250 i've ever had. The bike didn't handle...
I had one of those '98 250's and Mitch from PC worked my cylinder, it was the fastest 250 i've ever had. The bike didn't handle that well, but boy could i get starts!
I think you've built yourself a nice little monster! Nice work.
It’s definitely got the power I was hoping for. I went all out in terms of carb, reeds, pipe etc. I put a gnarly pipe on it because I’ve always liked the hit it has in the bottom end. It’s great for ramps. I know I know. Nobody on vital likes FMX 😂 luckily, this bike is impossible to cut grab holes on so I won’t be burnt at the stake.
H4L
5/28/2019 7:13am
I've been contemplating doing a similiar build with a modern 17-18 AF CRF450r chassis. Do you have any experience with riding a 3rd gen AF CR2 ? If so, I'd interested in hearing a ride report between the 2 once you get some seat time.
Do you know the weight of the bike ? Thnxz..
Jharper
5/28/2019 7:30am
H4L wrote:
I've been contemplating doing a similiar build with a modern 17-18 AF CRF450r chassis. Do you have any experience with riding a 3rd gen AF CR2...
I've been contemplating doing a similiar build with a modern 17-18 AF CRF450r chassis. Do you have any experience with riding a 3rd gen AF CR2 ? If so, I'd interested in hearing a ride report between the 2 once you get some seat time.
Do you know the weight of the bike ? Thnxz..
Hmmmm good question. I don’t know the weight of the bike. We don’t ship anything over 100 pounds, so I don’t have a scale to weigh it unfortunately. I’d be very curious of that myself. Once I’ve ridden it for real, I’ll let you guys know. I’m planning to ride it back to back with my 2018 450 and compare. I may even throw the ohlins on this just so it’s a fair comparison.
Jharper
5/28/2019 11:17am
Okay, I'm going to try and do this in sections so it makes sense because I can't remember all the steps I took.

The way this started is that I was looking for some dubya wheels gently used on eBay for my 2018 CRF 450. I ended up finding a 2017 rolling chassis for cheap. It was too good to pass up, and being that I had an extra set of suspension coming for my 2018, I offered the guy $2500.00 for the whole thing without forks or a shock. He accepted.

Jharper
5/28/2019 11:30am
As soon as I ordered the rolling Chassis I contacted Mike at M workx to get pricing on the frame adjustment and started looking for engines. I ended up finding a 1998 (I was looking for a 2001) for cheap that was in good running condition. I ordered it on eBay and then played the hurry up and wait game until the bike arrived.

Once it showed up, I looked at the engine and frame and shot pictures over to Mworkx. The engine picture was me showing the electrical and pointing out that there's no connection for the Carb, which apparently doesn't matter according to the internet (thanks Vital! )

Jharper
5/28/2019 11:43am
So I gathered all of the stuff that I needed and shipped it off to get the Y added and the tank changed, and airbag fabricated.

When Mike was done, he shot me some photos of the completed products prior to shipping, and everything looked great.

Jharper
5/28/2019 11:45am
The shock itself was built from my stock 2018 shock with like 2 hours on it, and an older 250F shock. I don't remember exactly what he did, but it was to keep from having to squat the shock down like some builds did to make it fit. Mine is fully functioning.

Jharper
5/28/2019 11:50am
The bottom part of the tank took some extra time because it was outsourced. Mike's original guy got the dimensions wrong 3 times before he found someone else to do it for him. It was worth it and turned out extremely well. Definitely worth the wait.

I of course ordered an OEM petcock online along with an OEM gas line etc. Lots of parts (even bolts and nuts) I went OEM with because I really wanted it to look and feel as if Honda had produced a New Gen 250.

Jharper
5/28/2019 12:08pm
During the wait for this to get shipped back (DAMN YOU UPS) I received my Ohlins suspension and some trick Carbon Fiber stuff from P3Carbon; Thanks P3! They hooked me up, and decided to go ahead and get the forks swapped over as well and get the 450 looking good. Sorry I'm fuzzy on the details, but I think I shipped Mike my stock shock and had a borrowed one on the 450 at the time. I did full Ohlins on the 450 and I know the stock 2018 450 suspension is on the build. Anyway, here's some photos of the stuff. For those of you with a keen eye. YES Ohlins stickers were off center AF from the factory. Super nice person named Casey on facebook support for them sent me a bunch of new ones right away when I sent him my photos.

I ended up not using the P3 shroud extenders on the 450 because they require riveting and I already had graphics ( I also received two lefts the first time lol) , so I decided to get Throttle Jockey to help me with some custom graphics and put them on the blank shrouds for this build instead. I like the tank cover the most, and I want to put it on the smoker, but I'm debating whether that's better than leaving it stock looking. Thoughts on that?

Below are the graphics I drew up vs. what Throttle Jockey came back with and printed. DAMN those guys are good! haha

Jharper
5/28/2019 12:41pm
The first thing I did when I received the frame back was obviously to work on it all night after first making sure the engine fit in the frame. I was so excited to get it done. Little did I know, I had a long road ahead of me. haha

Then we got to the first issue. I was missing the shock bolt. Not only that, I was missing tons. I started myself a list, this being the first of many things I was missing.

Jharper
5/28/2019 12:49pm
For the time being, I ended up putting one of those huge zip ties from the airport ( the kind delta zips your bag with when you fly with firearms) through the eye of the shock so I could keep going with the build in the meantime. I was just checking fitment anyway as I knew there were other parts I was gonna need. I didn't have the right exhaust ( the one in the pictures is the wrong year (came with engine) and would not line up.

Jharper
5/28/2019 12:55pm
After a wait, I got my FMF gnarly exhaust and silencer and my PWK Airstriker carb. I did the jetting and installed everything, but I had some issues with alignment. As it turned out, Mike had forgotten to put the threads in the frame for the pipe mount and putting on the exhaust before the silencer just doesn't work with the build.

Anyway Mike walked me through everything and even offered to pay to ship the frame back to him. Rather than doing that he opted to pay for the rivnut kit himself and sent it to me lightening fast with instructions on how to do it. Truth be told I was pretty anxious about drilling into my motorcycle frame, but it was actually super easy and I got it right first try. These pics show my alignment issues which of course were all resolved by just putting the silencer in it's mounts first.

Jharper
5/28/2019 12:56pm
Here it is all done up. One single pump with the tool and it was perfectly in.

Jharper
5/28/2019 1:07pm
I really wanted to do a stock pipe because I thought it would look better with the look of the bike, but I couldn't find any that weren't rusted to shit or dented beyond belief. Shortly after I ordered the FMF a buddy sent me a facebook marketplace link for one in perfect condition. Now that I have it on the bike, I'm sold on keeping it this way though.

I didn't get pics doing the carb or the reeds, but below are a couple more issues I ran into.
1. the subframe bolts are way long and actually hit the shock and the airboot. Mike cut some down and sent them to me along with another special bolt that I lost. All out of his own pocket.

2. I found out that the electrical I got with the engine on eBay was not as described and it had already been so long that there was no way to dispute it, so I had to just buy the entire electrical system stator and all again. After doing that, the next system was a dud and didn't work. I didn't know until I got the bike together at which point, it was again too late Sad

3. Because of this electrical fiasco, the mount that was fabricated for the CDI did not work. I just set it inside between the tank and airbag for the maiden voyage, but I have drawn up a part for this in solidworks and I'm going to either 3D print it or try and get someone to fabricate it for me. I went ahead and put that in here too so you can see the work involved.

4. The kickstart is loose. Not sure if it hits because it's old and loose or if it's just too tight next to the frame, but that's on my list of parts along with some other bolts and the spring for the brake lever as well as the bolt for the chain roller that fell out during maiden voyage. Apparently I didn't tighten everything DOHHH.

So, All in all, I'm about 98% done with the build and I will post a ride report when I can. When I unload it today to put it up, I will take pics of it 360º around for your viewing pleasure.

Jharper
5/28/2019 1:44pm
Here are a few. I’m gonna wait about an hour to take it out. It’s blazing hot outside today in Florida.

Jharper
5/29/2019 6:57am
Looks like the part is the proper size. I just need someone to make it in metal... or maybe I’ll just use the 3D print and see how it holds up

Tenacious P
5/31/2019 9:37pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2019 9:39pm
Wow man looks great! You’ll like that motor, I have a ‘96 and I think it’s the same engine until 2000. Absolutely gnarly power mid and top. I want to see how the stock pipe looks on it, at least for a nice photo shoot before you muddy her up.
shuggs
6/1/2019 1:53am
CDI mount looks perfect to me. Photo shoot of finished bike THEN ride report please

Great work
6/1/2019 5:44am
I have a 2017 CR 500AF that is absolutely awesome. Had a real hard time with the airbox (stayed with stock style shock). Ended us getting a custom carbon fiber one from Italy. Absolutely love the bike! Great build!!!
Jharper
6/1/2019 9:25am
Thanks everyone! I’ve been working on it some more today. I got the CDI Mount in and it fits properly. I did break a chunk off the back forcing the CDI into it. Originally I was going to go metal and figured I’d bend that top tab. Anyway, it didn’t really hurt it at all functionality wise, so no big deal.

I really wish I had a stock pipe for photos, but I don’t. My guy did tell me about the carbon fiber ones in Italy and he has recently made one the same style in metal, but unless I decide to go with kit suspension I’m happy with this for now. The added benefit is that it’s keeping me from cutting up the airbox for grab holes 😂 I’ve been itching to ride ramps on it. i really am only missing the return spring for the rear brake on the bike and then she’s ready to rip.

Would love to see the 500AF build!

Oh and I believe the engine is the same from like 94-01. Supposedly the best year. It definitely rips. I owned a million yz 250s, but I never had a cr 250, so I can’t really compare. I had tons of Cr 125s and such, but I just never owned a CR 250. Always wanted one though!
Jharper
6/1/2019 9:30am
Here’s the stuff I did today. The kill switch wire wasn’t even close to long enough, so I took it to work and solved that problem. Then I installed the CDI and buttoned up to silencer. Some of you may have noticed in previous photos it was just hanging. My dumbass broke off the custom mount over tightening it. Mike hooked me up with another and the shortened subframe screws.

Jharper
6/16/2019 9:02am
Worked on getting the frame and engine looking good for a bit yesterday. Scotch brite does the trick

Before

After

Post a reply to: I spoke with my tools/ build thread

The Latest