I really try to support my local dealer.

newmann
Edited Date/Time 10/28/2015 3:05pm
I will even gladly pay more(within reason ) to support a local business as I am one myself. But they sure do make it hard. I'm getting this little YZ60 crated up and ready to ship to a fellow Vitard and wanted to make she was all fresh and ready. Pulling the carb to make sure the jets are good and clean since it has been sitting so long but the fuel line has hardened up from age. So off to the local all inclusive 50,000 square foot all bike lines mega mall for some fresh fuel hose. Figured I would grab a few feet of each and restock my home supply. Well, as luck would have it they had none. They don't even stock it. They order it as needed per application. Yes I was dumbfounded as well as disappointed.

So now I'm off to place an online order for some proper motorcycle fuel line, and whatever else I need to stock up on.
|
Tracktor
10/27/2015 10:06am
Napa has it...........
10/27/2015 10:15am
My local dealer doesnt even carry jets. I love what they said "why have jets everything is fuel injected"
dl117
Fantasy
2587th
10/27/2015 10:19am
we have a farm store in town that i jsut buy 25' rolls at....dealer has it sometimes but it is double the price for the same hose.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
10/27/2015 10:24am
Sounds about right. I worked at a smaller shop for 4 years and we made sure we always had at least 50 ft of it at all times because no one else would carry it. Same with jets. How many off-road bikes still have carbs? A few come to mind. We probably sold 2-5 pilot jets a day.

The Shop

10/27/2015 11:46am
Just order it from the shop and go get it in 2 days....
They shouldn't have a problem getting parts. That's stupid on their part.
NATEP231
10/27/2015 11:55am
My favorite one was when the local Harley shop decided to take on being a Yamaha dealer too. I went in for a 19" rear tube and a chain. He instantly went to the micro fish to order me a OEM Yamaha rear tube and chain. I said no no no here hand me the parts unlimited book and I'll gladly show you what you need to stock for your dealership. Needles to say it was the last day I was in that shop
10/27/2015 12:06pm
1. He will order online and most likely buy extra things with online retailer than he originally planned because he is already placing an order and the online store has most EVERYTHING.

2. He will get it to his door.

3. He will not have to catch the call or message from the shop that his fuel line is in.

4. He will not have to drive back to said dealership to pick up aforementioned part.

5. He can see the part on his screen instead of trusting and make sure it is the color, size, etc he wants before placing order.

I ran a Remote Control car "dealership" a few years ago. Learned the ropes on parts ordering, what to stock, how to price to stay competitive with online, how to match their inventory.

Summation? You are stuck with old shit you have to discount, you have to buy in a certain amount to get started, your inventory will never match online, you can't drop ship to their door, and you have to deal with people in person in a world that only knows how to relate virtually.

Time bomb. Tick. Tick.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
10/27/2015 12:11pm
My local shop is moving across town!
gt80rider
10/27/2015 1:23pm
It is impossible to carry every single part, I get it. What I don't get is when dealers don't stock the essentials like fuel line, grip glue, etc. If u r motorcycle dealer, that is your flipn job.

Last spring I was due for new boots and helmet, two things I refuse to buy on line. I wear a 13 boot and a xxl helmet. I live in a large metro. Not one dealer n a 90 minute radius of my house had even one boot or helmet that would even fit me, let alone the brand I wanted or anything to compare to. Fuckn dealers have row after row of ten grand side by sides but not one helmet or boot in my size? Facepalm
Trav138
10/27/2015 2:07pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2015 2:07pm
1. He will order online and most likely buy extra things with online retailer than he originally planned because he is already placing an order and...
1. He will order online and most likely buy extra things with online retailer than he originally planned because he is already placing an order and the online store has most EVERYTHING.

2. He will get it to his door.

3. He will not have to catch the call or message from the shop that his fuel line is in.

4. He will not have to drive back to said dealership to pick up aforementioned part.

5. He can see the part on his screen instead of trusting and make sure it is the color, size, etc he wants before placing order.

I ran a Remote Control car "dealership" a few years ago. Learned the ropes on parts ordering, what to stock, how to price to stay competitive with online, how to match their inventory.

Summation? You are stuck with old shit you have to discount, you have to buy in a certain amount to get started, your inventory will never match online, you can't drop ship to their door, and you have to deal with people in person in a world that only knows how to relate virtually.

Time bomb. Tick. Tick.
well said
Also,
If you can find a dealership that is involved in local mx or ax that isn't to far, they usually carry the mx essentials at least.... sometimes lol
Frodad78
10/27/2015 2:13pm
North Texas guys are pretty lucky to have a parts shop in Bates Cycle Parts. Those guys carry everything and the shop has a ton of history hanging in the rafters. From old bikes to a pretty sweet Supercross Jersey collection dating way back. For me its like the 90s all over again, I can get 2 stroke jets, plugs and silencer packing over the counter! haha
10/27/2015 3:09pm
You people want to see your local parts dealer starve?!! Lol. Just kidding. F**k local dealerships and their shitty parts dept.
RPM68
10/27/2015 3:18pm
Newman, what store did you go to?
peelout
10/27/2015 3:18pm
my KTM shop wanted to charge me like $8 for a fuel line... i bought 4 feet of it at a local hose shop for about three fiddy
peelout
10/27/2015 3:20pm
dl117 wrote:
we have a farm store in town that i jsut buy 25' rolls at....dealer has it sometimes but it is double the price for the same...
we have a farm store in town that i jsut buy 25' rolls at....dealer has it sometimes but it is double the price for the same hose.
how much goddamn hose do you need bro?!
reded
10/27/2015 4:09pm
gt80rider wrote:
It is impossible to carry every single part, I get it. What I don't get is when dealers don't stock the essentials like fuel line, grip...
It is impossible to carry every single part, I get it. What I don't get is when dealers don't stock the essentials like fuel line, grip glue, etc. If u r motorcycle dealer, that is your flipn job.

Last spring I was due for new boots and helmet, two things I refuse to buy on line. I wear a 13 boot and a xxl helmet. I live in a large metro. Not one dealer n a 90 minute radius of my house had even one boot or helmet that would even fit me, let alone the brand I wanted or anything to compare to. Fuckn dealers have row after row of ten grand side by sides but not one helmet or boot in my size? Facepalm
Dealerships stock what sells, nowadays dirtbikes and fuel line ain't selling.
wsc96
Fantasy
451st
10/27/2015 4:20pm
peelout wrote:
how much goddamn hose do you need bro?!
Lots of goddamn hoes!
mb60
10/27/2015 4:26pm Edited Date/Time 10/27/2015 4:27pm
Frodad78 wrote:
North Texas guys are pretty lucky to have a parts shop in Bates Cycle Parts. Those guys carry everything and the shop has a ton of...
North Texas guys are pretty lucky to have a parts shop in Bates Cycle Parts. Those guys carry everything and the shop has a ton of history hanging in the rafters. From old bikes to a pretty sweet Supercross Jersey collection dating way back. For me its like the 90s all over again, I can get 2 stroke jets, plugs and silencer packing over the counter! haha
I stopped in a shop a couple of weeks a go. Had the music going and utv and street bikes lined the front and sides. Walked in and man MX gear everywhere, I asked the guy behind the counter if they carried shock oil. He looked at me like he had never heard of it. Asked me what kind of bike I had and told him mx bike. Nope did not have it but he could get it. LOL

Headed straight to Bates.
MR. X
10/27/2015 6:56pm
There is a guy around here that ran the parts department for as long as i can remember , he worked for a kawi dealer and stocked alot of the odds and ends stuff that you just may need , he left and went to a polaris/yamaha dealer and kept the parts stock the same way , it was really good until he went back to the kawi dealer and now the yamaha/polaris dealer has to order everything unless you want neons for a crotch rocket or a stupid mohawk for your helmet. A good , knowledgeable parts guy can do wonders for a shop.
j368
10/27/2015 7:07pm
I've got a great Honda dealer that I buy almost everything from. In return they give me a lot of help too. You gotta build the relationship. Look at the 1st line for the price they gave me on a Bell Moto 9 flex.

bonseff
10/27/2015 7:45pm
I am dumbfounded as well as disappointed in this post. Get your ass to Home Depot and get a fuel line for 54¢ and quit shitting on dealerships. Your fuel line purchase at a dealership is wasting everyone's time.

Sincerely,
me, 25yrs ago when I worked for a shop. And also today, too.
Steadman
10/27/2015 8:03pm
bonseff wrote:
I am dumbfounded as well as disappointed in this post. Get your ass to Home Depot and get a fuel line for 54¢ and quit shitting...
I am dumbfounded as well as disappointed in this post. Get your ass to Home Depot and get a fuel line for 54¢ and quit shitting on dealerships. Your fuel line purchase at a dealership is wasting everyone's time.

Sincerely,
Thank you. I was trying to find the words for the original post. You nailed it.
newmann
10/27/2015 8:16pm
bonseff wrote:
I am dumbfounded as well as disappointed in this post. Get your ass to Home Depot and get a fuel line for 54¢ and quit shitting...

Sincerely,
Steadman wrote:
Thank you. I was trying to find the words for the original post. You nailed it.
Laughing You two better get back to polishing your ATV LED light bars.
cable
10/27/2015 8:17pm
$60 to mount tires!
APLMAN99
10/27/2015 8:19pm
Imagine going to your local body shop and they don't stock fenders or bumpers for a Toyota Camry. It's the best selling car (pickups excluded) in America, so I'm sure there's plenty of them damaged each week. Why in the world wouldn't a body shop keep those spares on hand?
bonseff
10/27/2015 8:28pm
I love how dude stipulates he is prepared to support a shop "within reason." Yet his guiding argument is lack of dirtbike fuel hose inventory.
ilovetacos
10/27/2015 8:41pm
newmann wrote:
I will even gladly pay more(within reason ) to support a local business as I am one myself. But they sure do make it hard. I'm...
I will even gladly pay more(within reason ) to support a local business as I am one myself. But they sure do make it hard. I'm getting this little YZ60 crated up and ready to ship to a fellow Vitard and wanted to make she was all fresh and ready. Pulling the carb to make sure the jets are good and clean since it has been sitting so long but the fuel line has hardened up from age. So off to the local all inclusive 50,000 square foot all bike lines mega mall for some fresh fuel hose. Figured I would grab a few feet of each and restock my home supply. Well, as luck would have it they had none. They don't even stock it. They order it as needed per application. Yes I was dumbfounded as well as disappointed.

So now I'm off to place an online order for some proper motorcycle fuel line, and whatever else I need to stock up on.
I would still rather walk in to a shop and order fuel line rather than order on line. If you shopped there enough they will value you your needs more.

The problem most motocrossers are so F'n cheap ! when I worked the parts counter all i heard was " do I get discount ? " and they hardly bought anything , they usually came in for what they forgot to get online.

Moto Mofo
10/27/2015 8:47pm
I had the same problem last year when trying to buy fuel line from a shop in North Texas. I wish I still had a good local shop worth supporting.

Post a reply to: I really try to support my local dealer.

The Latest