I need some help chooseing my next bike!!

Related:
Create New Tag

11/25/2018 4:37 PM

I’m 15 years old and last summer I worked a summer job and saved up enough money to buy a blown 2014 Crf250r that was cheap to fix which caused me to end up with a clean 250f. I did 2 races at one of my local tracks in beginner class and I got 2 3rds. I went to a mx school now and I’m probably a mid to back of the pack c rider. I also bought a clapped 05 yz125 for $400 and I’m gonna flip it because it’s too sketchy to race.

What I really need help with is should I sell both of these bikes I own and get a nice 125? I wanna race a class with kids around my age. I can handle the 250f power it’s just the weight. It’s pretty heavy for me. I’m 5’9” and 135 pounds. I need help! 125 or keep my 250f!?

|

11/25/2018 4:47 PM

Sounds like money is a primary concern. I’d recommend finding a decent 125. They’re cheaper to maintain. Good luck.

|

11/25/2018 4:52 PM

Possibly you are answering your own question. Given what you have said I would agree that a 125 maybe the way to go. Sounds like you have some mechanical skills already which is very cool and as said 125 in theory cheaper to maintain. You can probably build abit more confidence on the 125 and have some great fun at the sametime.
Have fun and goodluck young fella!smile

|

Always was an excellent rider ...... at crashing usually

Moto Aspes, you know you want one

11/25/2018 4:55 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/25/2018 5:03 PM

Justin345 wrote:

Sounds like money is a primary concern. I’d recommend finding a decent 125. They’re cheaper to maintain. Good luck.

Yes. My mom and dad won’t buy me anything Super expensive because they’re apparently broke. My 250f is worth more than my dads daily driver lol. They helped out a little bit and are supportive. I paid for my bike most of the parts and all of my gear. They did buy me cheap bikes when I was younger but the big bikes are too expensive for them at the moment. So that’s why I worked last summer.

|

11/25/2018 4:59 PM

a22 wrote:

Possibly you are answering your own question. Given what you have said I would agree that a 125 maybe the way to go. Sounds like you have some mechanical skills already which is very cool and as said 125 in theory cheaper to maintain. You can probably build abit more confidence on the 125 and have some great fun at the sametime.

Yeah my dad works as a full time mechanic and he could never keep me out of the garage when I was little. I rebuilt my 250f myself. All it needed was just a seized lower rod bearing. Replaced all of the screens, relief valve, piston, and obviously crank. I’m constantly in trouble for losing all of the tools in are garage. Lol. Thanks for the reply!

|

11/25/2018 5:00 PM

Keep the Honda 250f. Sell the Yz125 and Invest in suspension set up for you and do a topend on the 250f you already have. Those are good bikes.

|

11/25/2018 5:07 PM

JWACK wrote:

Keep the Honda 250f. Sell the Yz125 and Invest in suspension set up for you and do a topend on the 250f you already have. Those are good bikes.

Yeah I like the bike and it’s fully rebuilt but it’s pretty heavy for me plus I don’t wanna race the 250c class with all the 20 year olds because I’m scrawny and easy to beat in a bar battles.

|

11/25/2018 5:07 PM
Edited Date/Time: 11/25/2018 5:08 PM

a22 wrote:

Halaburda120 wrote:

Yeah my dad works as a full time mechanic and he could never keep me out of the garage when I was little. I rebuilt my 250f myself. All it needed was just a seized lower rod bearing. Replaced all of the screens, relief valve, piston, and obviously crank. I’m constantly in trouble for losing all of the tools in are garage. Lol. Thanks for the reply!

Its cool you have learnt this stuff so young, impressive- guess your Pops taught you alot. Wish when I was a youngster I had the skill and desire to do the same but I only did basic stuff and let me Dad do the rest (and pay for things!) Credit to you for working hard and saving money to fund things for yourself. Yes- money can be hard for alot of us but even if you and your family don't have so much free cash then all these skills will compensate for that- being able to do all this stuff yourself. Not only that you wont forget the skills and it will serve you well in the future- fixing your cars and bikes I expect in years to come. Well done.

|

Always was an excellent rider ...... at crashing usually

Moto Aspes, you know you want one

11/25/2018 5:10 PM

a22 wrote:

Halaburda120 wrote:

a22 wrote:

Its cool you have learnt this stuff so young, impressive- guess your Pops taught you alot. Wish when I was a youngster I had the skill and desire to do the same but I only did basic stuff and let me Dad do the rest (and pay for things!) Credit to you for working hard and saving money to fund things for yourself. Yes- money can be hard for alot of us but even if you and your family don't have so much free cash then all these skills will compensate for that- being able to do all this stuff yourself. Not only that you wont forget the skills and it will serve you well in the future- fixing your cars and bikes I expect in years to come. Well done.

Thank you!

|

11/25/2018 5:22 PM

Give the 250F a little more time. You are at an age where you could hit a growth spurt and then wish for the torque of a 4 stroke. Since you just started you are a little intimidated on the track. Racing is always going to be a little more stressful than practicing. You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders, maybe you just need to be a little more patient. I thing good things will come to you.

|

The older I get, the faster I was.

11/25/2018 5:37 PM

Nothing to add in regards to bikes but I'll say that you're already more mature and have more initiative than a lot of other kids your own age so that alone is a win.

Keep up the good work.

|

"Sorry Goose, but it's time to buzz the tower."

11/25/2018 5:52 PM

captmoto wrote:

Give the 250F a little more time. You are at an age where you could hit a growth spurt and then wish for the torque of a 4 stroke. Since you just started you are a little intimidated on the track. Racing is always going to be a little more stressful than practicing. You seem like you have a good head on your shoulders, maybe you just need to be a little more patient. I thing good things will come to you.

That’s mainly what I was thinking. My 250 needs nothing so I’ll just save my money and put it towards parts. Thank you for the advice and reply.

|

11/25/2018 5:56 PM

Id definitley sell them both and get a cleaner 125 or 250. Less headaches amd more riding with a cleaner low hours bike

|

11/25/2018 5:58 PM

-MAVERICK- wrote:

Nothing to add in regards to bikes but I'll say that you're already more mature and have more initiative than a lot of other kids your own age so that alone is a win.

Keep up the good work.

Thank you!

|

11/25/2018 6:00 PM

yz133rider wrote:

Id definitley sell them both and get a cleaner 125 or 250. Less headaches amd more riding with a cleaner low hours bike

The 250 I have blew up around 45 hours and it was trail rode. I only put 20 hours on the bike since the full rebuild.

|

11/28/2018 10:54 AM

Halaburda120 wrote:

Let it be known "around town" that you are spinning wrenches and you could probably keep making some decent cash here and there. Shops are a PITA to get work done now days, I know of a lot of guys looking for a good local mechanic that isn't based out of a huge dealership. Heck, even if you just change tires you could probably make some decent scratch on the side.

Oh and, if you are low on funds (like pretty much every teenager), go with the smoker, they are simply cheaper to keep running long term, but more difficult to go fast on.

|

www.bettercallsaul.com
Die Antwoord

12/1/2018 5:45 AM

Keep the Honda and start working out and eating everything in sight, you will be glad you kept the Honda over a 125 trust me.

|

12/1/2018 6:29 AM

At your age, size and ability, you’ll learn much more and become a much better rider by spending time on a 125. Sell the 250F and either fix up the YZ125 or get another one.

|

12/1/2018 7:10 AM

Is the 125 sketchy because it’s a pile of crap, or is that type of power sketchy to you?

|

12/1/2018 9:34 AM

Keep the 250f!

|

12/2/2018 8:10 AM

JWACK wrote:

Halaburda120 wrote:

Yeah I like the bike and it’s fully rebuilt but it’s pretty heavy for me plus I don’t wanna race the 250c class with all the 20 year olds because I’m scrawny and easy to beat in a bar battles.

Being your age and "scrawny" too, I'd sell both and go for a 2006 or up YZ125, At 17 you can still build up the cardio and fitness to ride a 125 balls to the wall and you're most likely at a good weight to ride one, I'm 17, 135 pounds, 6'2 and my KTM 125s have no problem pulling me around even in the deep sand here in FL.

Cool to see another teenager on here who knows their shit and doesn't wanna just wheelie a dirt bike up and down the road, moto will teach you a lot of valuable lessons in life and give you many benefits and skills off the bike.

You could most likely sell the 250F for around $2500-$3000 around here, use that cash to buy a 2006+ YZ125 and then sell your other YZ and use that cash to put into upgrades/or things that the bike needs mechanically.

|

Unleaded tastes a little tangy. Supreme is kinda sour, and diesel tastes pretty good.

12/2/2018 9:32 AM

You're already figuring that the 125 might be easier to flick around and have fun on. That's the advantage of being the size & weight that you're at.

Sounds like you could sell both of your bikes and get a newer, fresher and faster 125.

Go for it & have fun with your next project.

|

I ripped a start from Egypt and I was happy about that.

12/2/2018 9:52 AM

First off I have to say I'm impressed with your maturity level & having to pay for the bikes as well as work on them. I can relate coming from being financially disadvantaged as a youngster. You're learning valuable lessons at an early age that books can't teach you.
At your age & size my vote would go to a newer 125 2t due to the ease of maintenance plus cost. As you get more experience on the 125 it will teach good technique & corner speed. After a couple of yrs. of riding you'll have better skill & more than likely be in a better financial situation to upgrade to a newer 250f. What ever you decide to do have fun & stay safe.. cool

|

Speak softly and carry a big stick.

12/2/2018 10:04 AM

Halaburda120 wrote:

I’m 15 years old and last summer I worked a summer job and saved up enough money to buy a blown 2014 Crf250r that was cheap to fix which caused me to end up with a clean 250f. I did 2 races at one of my local tracks in beginner class and I got 2 3rds. I went to a mx school now and I’m probably a mid to back of the pack c rider. I also bought a clapped 05 yz125 for $400 and I’m gonna flip it because it’s too sketchy to race.

What I really need help with is should I sell both of these bikes I own and get a nice 125? I wanna race a class with kids around my age. I can handle the 250f power it’s just the weight. It’s pretty heavy for me. I’m 5’9” and 135 pounds. I need help! 125 or keep my 250f!?

Curious to see some photos of both options: the 14' 250F an the 05' 125. While the 250F feels heavy now, it's certainly something you'll grow in to. Plus, that generation CRF (14'-17') has a lighter handling feel than other 250F's of the era; could be a great base and you already know it's mechanical condition (parts are also cheap for repairs and with other CRF riders moving to the new 18+ platform you can score some good take-off deals).

How sketchy is this YZ125? That's essentially the same frame/engine as a brand new 19', minus suspension and plastics which you can upgrade fairly easily. They're a bulletproof design, engine-wise, once you replace the shift stopper on the 2005 (https://thumpertalk.com/forums/topic/512858-replace-your-shift-stopper/). If you're interested in becoming a better rider, it's hard to beat the lessons a 125 2T can instill at your age. You'll also be able to handle any mechanical issues seeing that you already went through a 250F; working on a YZ125 is a cake-walk in comparison.

Either way, you're asking the right questions and way ahead of the curve, Kudos! Being comfortable tinkering on your own bikes is not only valuable, financially, but personally rewarding and confidence inspiring cool

|

12/11/2018 3:00 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/15/2018 8:50 AM

|

12/11/2018 3:02 PM

CG118 wrote:

Is the 125 sketchy because it’s a pile of crap, or is that type of power sketchy to you?

It’s a pile of poo...condition wise.

|

12/15/2018 8:49 AM

JWACK wrote:

Halaburda120 wrote:

Rickyisms wrote:

Being your age and "scrawny" too, I'd sell both and go for a 2006 or up YZ125, At 17 you can still build up the cardio and fitness to ride a 125 balls to the wall and you're most likely at a good weight to ride one, I'm 17, 135 pounds, 6'2 and my KTM 125s have no problem pulling me around even in the deep sand here in FL.

Cool to see another teenager on here who knows their shit and doesn't wanna just wheelie a dirt bike up and down the road, moto will teach you a lot of valuable lessons in life and give you many benefits and skills off the bike.

You could most likely sell the 250F for around $2500-$3000 around here, use that cash to buy a 2006+ YZ125 and then sell your other YZ and use that cash to put into upgrades/or things that the bike needs mechanically.

I really wanna keep the 250 because I do feel confident on it and I’m not that one kid on the track going super slow barely hitting the jumps and not holding their line. I feel comfortable riding right beside other riders. How much more does a 125 teach me over my 250? I was on a 125 about a year ago but I only went to the track like once or twice a month. I love the 250. If the 125 teaches me much more than my 250 I might just get both. What’s your guys opinion?

|