I need a permit to haul my bike in a truck in CA??

NorCal 50+
I came to California with my RM250 and have been attempting to dissect the regulatory requirements. It's a trip, bro.
[a nod to the other thread where people gave me some great riding area info).

I see this:
Racing Motorcycles (CVC §38088)
OHV motorcycles used solely in organized racing or competitive events on a closed course such as speedways, racetracks, or defined routes of travel (on or off highway) cannot be registered. However, they may be issued a permit for a fee that allows transportation to/from course events. A closed course is not available for vehicle access by the general public other than event participants (CVC §38014). The permit is a sticker that must be mounted on the vehicle in a clearly visible location and remains valid until the vehicle is sold or dismantled.

I have heard about people being pulled over for not having vent hoses on their gas cans in their trucks. In 40 years of motocross I have never heard anything about needing a permit to carry a dirt bike in a truck.
Now, before this devolves into a "Commiefornia" bashing session- I have lived all over the world, and [Northern] California is the greatest and most amazing place I have ever lived. By far.

|
cali11
9/5/2017 5:42pm
Lived here in Calif for 45 years & have never heard of such BS.
captmoto
9/5/2017 5:46pm
Technically all vehicles need a permit to be moved on the highway. I have bikes that aren't registered. Never been stopped with them in the truck or bike hauler. Now, the free staters that are glad they don't have to register a bike are pretty much out of luck when they don't have a title to report a theft. I suppose a cop could ask and could get pretty shitty if he wanted to but most likely would only use no registration to stack charges on someone. It's just a fix it ticket anyway.
FWYT
9/5/2017 5:48pm
Have lived in San Diego all my life and have never heard of anyone getting hassled for this. Doesn't surprise me that it is on the books but I have never heard of it being enforced.

The Shop

9/5/2017 5:49pm
I've never had a problem. I've only lived here for a year though. I've heard that you could get in trouble for riding in the desert without one of those stickers. Im not totally sure if I will get one if I ever ride in the desert.
loftyair
9/5/2017 5:52pm
They ' may be issued a permit for' may be, as in maybe? Nice and clear, sounds like typical bs.
NorCal 50+
9/5/2017 5:56pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2017 5:57pm
I've never had a problem. I've only lived here for a year though. I've heard that you could get in trouble for riding in the desert...
I've never had a problem. I've only lived here for a year though. I've heard that you could get in trouble for riding in the desert without one of those stickers. Im not totally sure if I will get one if I ever ride in the desert.
I am not sure if you are talking about green and red stickers, but this is totally different.
It's freaking bizarre- it's right there on the main page for anybody that wants to research OHV usage:
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/dmv/?1dmy&urile=wcm:path:/dmv_content_en/…

To top it off- I am having trouble finding the title to my bike. I am wondering how that is going to turn out.
Cancerman
9/5/2017 5:57pm
I think you might be seeing something that might have to do with the Green sticker / Red sticker program. The Red sticker is for closed course events, but cannot ride in BLM open land / desert(s) (that's the green sticker). I'm guessing, I've been out of Cali since the mid 90's.
downard254
9/5/2017 6:01pm
I wonder if they are talking about some sort of permit that allows the vehicle to be ridden, not hauled, to an OHV area.
NorCal 50+
9/5/2017 6:05pm
Cancerman wrote:
I think you might be seeing something that might have to do with the Green sticker / Red sticker program. The Red sticker is for closed...
I think you might be seeing something that might have to do with the Green sticker / Red sticker program. The Red sticker is for closed course events, but cannot ride in BLM open land / desert(s) (that's the green sticker). I'm guessing, I've been out of Cali since the mid 90's.
You don't need a red/green sticker to race moto on private tracks, right? I have never seen a sticker on a moto bike in a magazine.
What about Hangtown, which is a moto track but part of a state facility? This shit is incredibly confusing. And my suspicion is the person that will know the least-- works at the DMV.

NorCal 50+
9/5/2017 6:08pm
downard254 wrote:
I wonder if they are talking about some sort of permit that allows the vehicle to be ridden, not hauled, to an OHV area.
I thought about that too- but there is no way I can get a sticker that allows me to rip my RM on public roads to a race in CA. I am pretty convinced of that.
downard254
9/5/2017 6:28pm
downard254 wrote:
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I thought about that too- but there is no way I can get a sticker that allows me to rip my RM on public roads to...
I thought about that too- but there is no way I can get a sticker that allows me to rip my RM on public roads to a race in CA. I am pretty convinced of that.
I kind of figured that was a pretty big stretch too, but thought it might be a variation of it. No way it can be to haul you bike on a trailer or truck. No way.
RandyS
9/5/2017 6:43pm
If your bike has a green or red sticker that's all you need. If it doesn't that moving permit thing has been on the books for a long time. I have never heard of anyone getting written up for not having it, but I do remember hearing people that had some kind of certificate of origin on race bikes that they kept with them. You shouldn't need it unless a Placer Sherrif pulls you over. Those MFers will write up as much as they can think of, Placer County is run on speeding tickets.
SEE ARE125
9/5/2017 6:45pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2017 6:46pm
downard254 wrote:
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I thought about that too- but there is no way I can get a sticker that allows me to rip my RM on public roads to...
downard254 wrote:
I kind of figured that was a pretty big stretch too, but thought it might be a variation of it. No way it can be to...
I kind of figured that was a pretty big stretch too, but thought it might be a variation of it. No way it can be to haul you bike on a trailer or truck. No way.
I thought the same and assumed maybe it applied to riding a street bike to a track(road course, drag strip), but then I re-read it and noticed it applied to OHV motorcycles. Weird.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
9/5/2017 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2017 6:50pm
Here you go- $30.00 yr
http://ohv.parks.ca.gov/?page_id=25669

I get one of these for my bikes that I don't have registered. I use them on "my cousins bikes from Nevada", when I "borrow" them. wink-wink... Wink

9/5/2017 6:50pm
The gas can thing is real. Must be a ca stamped approved gas can. If you ride on public lands, you will need a green sticker red is ok during the gall and winter months. Chp can check your mx vin if they suspect you are a crackhead. My bikes are not registered and never been checked. Gas can deal is real
NorCal 50+
9/5/2017 7:20pm
RandyS wrote:
If your bike has a green or red sticker that's all you need. If it doesn't that moving permit thing has been on the books for...
If your bike has a green or red sticker that's all you need. If it doesn't that moving permit thing has been on the books for a long time. I have never heard of anyone getting written up for not having it, but I do remember hearing people that had some kind of certificate of origin on race bikes that they kept with them. You shouldn't need it unless a Placer Sherrif pulls you over. Those MFers will write up as much as they can think of, Placer County is run on speeding tickets.
Thanks Randy. But most moto-only guys don't have red or green sticker, right? All these guys risk a ticket driving to the track? Now that I can't find my title I am contemplating the nightmare of rebuilding my RM and not being able to ride it. Hopefully I can get a replacement title.
Xeno
9/5/2017 7:26pm
Any dirt bike with a VIN and a CA title will get either a red or green sticker. This "Racing Motorcycle" permit would apply to works frames that don't have a VIN.
Since the permit is only to transport the bike on the highway- it's a moot exercise because I can tell you from first-hand experience that works race bikes are transported inside a locked van where nobody can see them
RandyS
9/5/2017 7:32pm
RandyS wrote:
If your bike has a green or red sticker that's all you need. If it doesn't that moving permit thing has been on the books for...
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Thanks Randy. But most moto-only guys don't have red or green sticker, right? All these guys risk a ticket driving to the track? Now that I...
Thanks Randy. But most moto-only guys don't have red or green sticker, right? All these guys risk a ticket driving to the track? Now that I can't find my title I am contemplating the nightmare of rebuilding my RM and not being able to ride it. Hopefully I can get a replacement title.
GV DMV is pretty easy to re title a bike, you just need to tell them a good story. Being from out of state there shouldn't be any problem. Once I had to get a cert of origin from Yamaha for a YZ400 that I bought from out of state so I don't know if all out of state bikes have to do that or not. But all the manufacturers used to have a dedicated person in So Cal that handles that. They'll create a title and you can do whatever you want from there. Green is 02 and older, red is 03+. Around here it's worth it to have the sticker, you can be at Mammoth Bar in 30 minutes, pay $5 do a moto or two and be back home in 2 hours. And there's some pretty cool semi secret spots around here that you need to try before you say nothing but track.
kkawboy14
9/5/2017 7:46pm
Sounds like one of those laws they pull out when they need a reason to hassle somebody!
NorCal 50+
9/5/2017 7:54pm
RandyS wrote:
NorCal 50+ wrote:
Thanks Randy. But most moto-only guys don't have red or green sticker, right? All these guys risk a ticket driving to the track? Now that I...
RandyS wrote:
GV DMV is pretty easy to re title a bike, you just need to tell them a good story. Being from out of state there shouldn't...
GV DMV is pretty easy to re title a bike, you just need to tell them a good story. Being from out of state there shouldn't be any problem. Once I had to get a cert of origin from Yamaha for a YZ400 that I bought from out of state so I don't know if all out of state bikes have to do that or not. But all the manufacturers used to have a dedicated person in So Cal that handles that. They'll create a title and you can do whatever you want from there. Green is 02 and older, red is 03+. Around here it's worth it to have the sticker, you can be at Mammoth Bar in 30 minutes, pay $5 do a moto or two and be back home in 2 hours. And there's some pretty cool semi secret spots around here that you need to try before you say nothing but track.
That's a relief. I've been down to the DMV for my truck and they are chill. My bike is 13 years old so hopefully they won't care that much. Lemme know when you pull that YZ out of the cobwebs! I freaking love this area- unreal.
BAMX
9/5/2017 7:59pm
Cancerman wrote:
I think you might be seeing something that might have to do with the Green sticker / Red sticker program. The Red sticker is for closed...
The difference between Green and Red sticker has only to do with emissions. You can ride with either a green or a red sticker on Public lands. The color indicates special conditions. In general the deserts and most public land can be used year around with a green sticker bike. They can be used from October to May with a Red sticker. There are some places that allow Red stickers during the summer but not at ton.
KirkChandler
Fantasy
278th
9/5/2017 8:06pm
kkawboy14 wrote:
Sounds like one of those laws they pull out when they need a reason to hassle somebody!
This.

Also another way to tax visitors to the state.

You do not need a red/green sticker to ride at a non California Off Highway Vehicle Park. So you can ride Glen Helen or Milestone, buddy's back yard track, etc. but Hangtown is technically at Prairie City OHV and it's controlled by state rangers, so a Red/Green sticker is required.
Katoomey
9/5/2017 8:29pm Edited Date/Time 9/5/2017 8:41pm
the permit is to actually allow street use for the vehicle, so it doen't need to be hauled to the track or special event, like a car show.
RandyS
9/5/2017 9:02pm
NorCal 50+ wrote:
RandyS wrote:
GV DMV is pretty easy to re title a bike, you just need to tell them a good story. Being from out of state there shouldn't...
NorCal 50+ wrote:
That's a relief. I've been down to the DMV for my truck and they are chill. My bike is 13 years old so hopefully they won't...
That's a relief. I've been down to the DMV for my truck and they are chill. My bike is 13 years old so hopefully they won't care that much. Lemme know when you pull that YZ out of the cobwebs! I freaking love this area- unreal.
If you love this wait until it's normal again. This has been the worst summer that just about everyone I know can remember. I have family that has been here since the late 60s, and it has never been like this. There have been years where we never turned on the AC, It has run 24/7 for the last 2 1/2 months. And today, rain and humid???? Not normal at all.
CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2361st
9/5/2017 11:09pm
I've only been in CAa few years and never had them registered or stickered. I ride/race all the major tracks in CA, I wouldn't worry too much about it. The only special thing is a spark arrestor when I ride OHV parks in the winter.
9/5/2017 11:40pm Edited Date/Time 9/6/2017 1:35am
NorCal 50+ wrote:
I came to California with my RM250 and have been attempting to dissect the regulatory requirements. It's a trip, bro. [a nod to the other thread...
I came to California with my RM250 and have been attempting to dissect the regulatory requirements. It's a trip, bro.
[a nod to the other thread where people gave me some great riding area info).

I see this:
Racing Motorcycles (CVC §38088)
OHV motorcycles used solely in organized racing or competitive events on a closed course such as speedways, racetracks, or defined routes of travel (on or off highway) cannot be registered. However, they may be issued a permit for a fee that allows transportation to/from course events. A closed course is not available for vehicle access by the general public other than event participants (CVC §38014). The permit is a sticker that must be mounted on the vehicle in a clearly visible location and remains valid until the vehicle is sold or dismantled.

I have heard about people being pulled over for not having vent hoses on their gas cans in their trucks. In 40 years of motocross I have never heard anything about needing a permit to carry a dirt bike in a truck.
Now, before this devolves into a "Commiefornia" bashing session- I have lived all over the world, and [Northern] California is the greatest and most amazing place I have ever lived. By far.

First off: just sticker the thing so you can ride it on public land. You're in Grass Valley, the best stuff around there is public, and I recall you talked about riding areas you want to hit up in another post, and all were red/green sticker.

Secondly, the transport laws you are talking about are for on the road. Basically it's saying you can't ride your nsr500 to the race, even if the race is on a real road. Not really a dirt bike in the pickup issue.
7GP
9/6/2017 12:02am
About 15-20 years ago my family was given a ticket for "transporting an unregistered vehicle on public roads". It's the only time I've ever heard of it. It was an old KX60 that hadn't been registered for a while. We brought it to a CA state park and the rangers wouldn't let us ride it because it didn't have a spark arrestor. The bike didn't have a reg sticker on it so they ran the vin. Since we had hauled it there and it was not currently registered...ticket.
1HRCrider
9/6/2017 1:18am
My guess would be if you have a Red or a green sticker you are fine. Probably referring to a roadracer or hill climber. Something that is not registered at all, you will probably need this transport sticker. Just a way for big Government to get $$$ from you.
ob
9/6/2017 8:04am
If you are coming to ride moto at moto tracks you don't have to worry about a thing.

Post a reply to: I need a permit to haul my bike in a truck in CA??

The Latest