I miss the Golden State Nationals

AZ35
Fantasy
550th
12/4/2021 6:05pm
I only ever raced 1 Trans-Cal in 1984 at Indian Dunes, and 1 GSN at Sunrise in 1987. 125cc Int.

Jeff Matiesevich (sp?) won my class in 1984, and James Dobb won it in 1987 (on a Cagiva). I was nowhere near either of them, but pretty cool that both would go on to long pro careers. I actually felt like I rode well at both events, but got completely smoked every moto. Different level of talent.

Those races were almost like LL or mini O's today in talent, but they happened numerous weekends every year not just 1 week.

If I recall correctly, in 1987 at Sunrise there were 3 divisions (all full gates) of the 125 INT class. Most of the non-pro classes were multiple divisions there were so many riders.
a22
12/4/2021 6:46pm Edited Date/Time 12/4/2021 6:56pm
AZ35 wrote:
I only ever raced 1 Trans-Cal in 1984 at Indian Dunes, and 1 GSN at Sunrise in 1987. 125cc Int. Jeff Matiesevich (sp?) won my class...
I only ever raced 1 Trans-Cal in 1984 at Indian Dunes, and 1 GSN at Sunrise in 1987. 125cc Int.

Jeff Matiesevich (sp?) won my class in 1984, and James Dobb won it in 1987 (on a Cagiva). I was nowhere near either of them, but pretty cool that both would go on to long pro careers. I actually felt like I rode well at both events, but got completely smoked every moto. Different level of talent.

Those races were almost like LL or mini O's today in talent, but they happened numerous weekends every year not just 1 week.

If I recall correctly, in 1987 at Sunrise there were 3 divisions (all full gates) of the 125 INT class. Most of the non-pro classes were multiple divisions there were so many riders.
Wasn't it Mike Healey on the Cagiva who won in 87 the GSN?
I maybe wrong though as Dobb I think was also on Cagiva that year aged 15- maybe he did go over and do that race as you say.
Remember around that time there was the bar banging between Healey on the Cagiva and Larry Brooks- Brooks landed on Healeys shoulder over a jump and Mike was abit pissed over the incident. Think the next year Mike came good and won it- was great racing- love watching these old races- so cool!

Edit- just saw 125 Int class you state- so I'm probably getting muddled up with the 125 Pro's.
Interesting how Dobby was there- would have been just 15 years old on the Cagiva- think he had a works ride with Cagiva then but never liked the bike too much. Was great rivalry here between Dobb and Paul Malin- they had some great races for years, ever since very young. Wasn't much to choose between either of them, both very fast.
wpark89
12/4/2021 7:05pm
Doug Dubach won the 87 GSN series in the 125 class on a Cagiva. Cagiva advertised the championship and uses pics of Healey so most think he won.

Yes…Dobb came over from the UK and raced the Intermediate Class. Used to be lots of Euros training for the GPs in California for the winter. Great era of racing….like was mentioned earlier when you would have multiple divisions! Miss it.
a22
12/4/2021 7:17pm
Interesting how DD won the 125cc- yes Mike would have been 250cc anyway on the Cagiva and Dobb would have been 125cc as said.
Something about those times and also the racing of the later 1990's- I love watching Healey/ Bobby Moore/ Trampas Parker/ Donny Schmit / Mike Brown when they did the GP's. Was others also who came over and did quite good- Bader Manney/ Dean Matson and probably more but cannot quite remember all the names.... anyway back to GSN thread...

The Shop

AZ35
Fantasy
550th
12/4/2021 7:36pm
AZ35 wrote:
I only ever raced 1 Trans-Cal in 1984 at Indian Dunes, and 1 GSN at Sunrise in 1987. 125cc Int. Jeff Matiesevich (sp?) won my class...

a22 wrote:
Wasn't it Mike Healey on the Cagiva who won in 87 the GSN? I maybe wrong though as Dobb I think was also on Cagiva that...
Wasn't it Mike Healey on the Cagiva who won in 87 the GSN?
I maybe wrong though as Dobb I think was also on Cagiva that year aged 15- maybe he did go over and do that race as you say.
Remember around that time there was the bar banging between Healey on the Cagiva and Larry Brooks- Brooks landed on Healeys shoulder over a jump and Mike was abit pissed over the incident. Think the next year Mike came good and won it- was great racing- love watching these old races- so cool!

Edit- just saw 125 Int class you state- so I'm probably getting muddled up with the 125 Pro's.
Interesting how Dobby was there- would have been just 15 years old on the Cagiva- think he had a works ride with Cagiva then but never liked the bike too much. Was great rivalry here between Dobb and Paul Malin- they had some great races for years, ever since very young. Wasn't much to choose between either of them, both very fast.
Yes it was 125 INT. Mike Healey was already racing pro SX in 1985 (Suzuki). But he had some great Cagiva seasons a few years later.

And yes I recall him being very young, and from England, so the accent and all created much hype within our group of average AZ locals. Cagiva was also a very obscure brand (especially in the USA) so the young teenage English "factory supported" Cagiva rider smoking our class was very memorable at the time.
a22
12/4/2021 7:56pm Edited Date/Time 12/5/2021 9:34am
AZ35 wrote:
Yes it was 125 INT. Mike Healey was already racing pro SX in 1985 (Suzuki). But he had some great Cagiva seasons a few years later...
Yes it was 125 INT. Mike Healey was already racing pro SX in 1985 (Suzuki). But he had some great Cagiva seasons a few years later.

And yes I recall him being very young, and from England, so the accent and all created much hype within our group of average AZ locals. Cagiva was also a very obscure brand (especially in the USA) so the young teenage English "factory supported" Cagiva rider smoking our class was very memorable at the time.

Just found this from that very race...
hahah same as Wpark89- same article from MXA but some other riders from the event.

Yes possibly good to have questioned Dobb's amateur status, given that he was sort of a 'works rider' since aged about 8 !! Well suppose he wasn't a 'proper' works rider aged 8 but was talented fast kid whom Factories may have well been interested in/ and were. Suppose that doesn't count though and he was only 15 years old at the time of the GSN.

Think in 1989 or 1990, just abit older- on a 250cc he raced an open class National here against Dave Thorpe(x3 World Champion) on a 500cc and suchlike high competition... Dobb surprisingly won that meeting on his smaller bike and young age. Thorpe I recall gave him some praise for being so young and winning- surprised in some respects Dobb did not do better in the States than he did in the 1990's.
STLSharky
12/5/2021 6:33am
Bry145 wrote:
Is local moto dead? We had a booming scene here in District 5 back in the late 90s and early 2000s. We had to qualify for...
Is local moto dead?

We had a booming scene here in District 5 back in the late 90s and early 2000s.

We had to qualify for 125C back then.

Any chance of getting local moto back to where it was? Or have demographics and economics changed, leaving many unable or unwilling to participate?

Hey the pro practicer scene is amazing

Post a reply to: I miss the Golden State Nationals

The Latest