I messed up and need advice!!

UpperDeckKid
Edited Date/Time 11/20/2020 11:23am
Never owned a Dirtbike before, rode them a handful of times throughout my life. Owned street bikes and harleys for years until I got married and had kids. I have never been to the desert to go camping and ride bikes but always have wanted to. Therefore I bought my youngest daughter a 50 quad my wife a quad and myself a 2020 CRF450R. The 450 is where I fucked up lol. I have never rode anything that fast in my life!! I just bought it yesterday ripped it around my block 2-3 times and I’m having total buyers remorse. The amount of power and speed it has is gnarly. I’m here to ask what should I do? I know I’m dumb I know I should have done more research instead of impulse buy. I have rode a 17 Yamaha 250 and didn’t think much of it and between my previous owned r6 and r1 and the fact I’m 6’1” 220lbs the 450 would have been perfect. But after the first ride around the block I think I’m gravely mistaken. Should I keep it and just try to ease into it? Should I cut my losses and sell the bike? Should I trade it in for something smaller? If I trade it will I lose my ass even more rather than selling it? Any input as appreciated.... and I again I realize I’m a dumbass for not thinking about this stuff before hand just asking for advice to minimize damage to myself lol
|
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3730th
11/19/2020 8:18am
Good thing Ryno doesn't post here...

Sell it and get a smaller bike. You'll lose money, but I think you'll lose more if you trade it in. Who knows, talk to your dealer and see what they say. I'm sure they'll work with you to get you on a smaller bike.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
767th
11/19/2020 8:26am
Realistically, you could probably have the ECU remapped for easier riding. Remember you also have Different maps on that bike to change between. I think Map 3 is the mild map on your bike.

Is a new 450 a good first time bike for someone? No, not usually. It can be made better for you though. If you're looking for someone to ride with and help teach you, do not hesitate to reach out to me. I live locally and would love to help you and your family out.
FeetUp
11/19/2020 8:26am
Some manufactures are using basically the same chassis on their 250F and 450F. You should be able to change the engine map on your 450 to mirror that of a 250, or even 350 giving you quite a range to tune the power down to whatever you feel comfortable with.
ccullins
11/19/2020 8:28am
Good thing for you is you bought a bike that’s in short supply and you haven’t taken it in the dirt yet. I wouldn’t put any time on it or get it dirty. Sell it as basically a new bike. Yes your going to lose money, but there should be a decent amount of people who can’t find a 2020 CRF 450 who want one, so it shouldn’t be as much. I just wouldn’t waste time messing with a bike you don’t like.

A 450 might not be too much, just need the right 450. Maybe a CRF 450x (not RX) or a Yamaha WR 450 or any of the true Enduro bikes. They are a lot mellower and I assume your not racing MX?

The Shop

walent215
11/19/2020 8:30am
Riding that bike on the pavement will not be the same as riding it in the dirt....you are going to have a signifcant amount of wheelspin in the dirt taking away some of that crazy amount of power and "feel" that your getting riding down the street. Granted , the 450s are alot of power but not too much in the desert setting. . If your strictly riding in the desert id say to go ahead with your plans and take the trip with the family and ride it for the weekend and give yourself some time to get used to it. You will at this point take a bath on a trade-in anyhow and i feel riding the 450 would be best suited for your desert riding plans.
APLMAN99
11/19/2020 8:31am
Weld the tail pipe 80% shut and stuff shop rags in your airbox......!!!!

Falcon
Fantasy
798th
11/19/2020 8:31am
1) Be prepared to lose your ass if/when you sell. That's a given.
2) Decide if your safety is worth the loss (I would say so, because what's money if you kill yourself on the 450?)

-However-

3) Before you make your decision, think about things you can do to slow the machine down. Have you thought about taller gearing? A flywheel weight? A used rear tire? A slow-turn throttle cam? Retarding the timing or using a different ignition map? There are lots of things you can do to mellow out the power until you get used to it. You may want to ride it nice and easy for a while until you get used to the bike's capabilities.

If you just can't come to terms with the bike though, don't feel bad about jettisoning it. Sell it on Facebook or something and get as much as you can for it, then start over. I did that in 1998 on an RM250 that I just did not like. Went back to a YZ125 for a few seasons and then moved up again a little later.
skeef
Fantasy
1421st
11/19/2020 8:32am
I agree with mav, sell it private party, while the market is still hot. If you are only trail riding with the family maybe look at a cross country/off-road bike. Like a WR250, CRF250X, better gear ratio for cruising. Also having a kick stand is a life saver when you have young kids in the desert. Especially with a 50cc quad you could be having to get off your bike to pull her out of sand etc.

kNewc
11/19/2020 8:39am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 8:39am
If you are not planning on Moto I think a very mild ECU mapping and maybe a larger front sprocket/smaller rear sprocket would super mellow that thing out for desert rides and such. Sounds like you have experience with powerful bikes, but it also sounds like money isn't a huge issue... That being said, I have a 450 and just recently got a new 250f, and I'm not sure I'll get a 450 again lol
yz133rider
11/19/2020 8:40am
Post it in the sale page for trade for a like new 250f wait for a fair deal and just make the trade.

Should be easy enough honestly.
Dimblewambie
11/19/2020 8:53am
Did you buy it from a dealer? Either you put out an extreme amount of self confidence buying a 450R or the salesman is a dickhead, probably both. Given you’re planning on just doing desert riding I would look into getting a RX or X model anyways, will be far better suited for desert riding and going slow.

Like already mentioned, demand is high so I dont think you’ll totally lose your ass selling private party or put it out there for trade for a 250 R/X/RX.
mxb2
11/19/2020 8:56am
Did you buy it from a dealer? Either you put out an extreme amount of self confidence buying a 450R or the salesman is a dickhead...
Did you buy it from a dealer? Either you put out an extreme amount of self confidence buying a 450R or the salesman is a dickhead, probably both. Given you’re planning on just doing desert riding I would look into getting a RX or X model anyways, will be far better suited for desert riding and going slow.

Like already mentioned, demand is high so I dont think you’ll totally lose your ass selling private party or put it out there for trade for a 250 R/X/RX.
Not the salesmans fault,. He is there to sell product. Research before you spend 10k. That being said, take the loss. Buy a new leftover 250f or 350. Those will be cheaper anyway.
11/19/2020 9:03am
I say ride it. Just because it has X amount of power doesn't mean you have to use X amount of power. You control how much you twist the throttle.
Stick that bitch in 4th gear and lug it around.
Camp332
11/19/2020 9:05am
Listen Bro, balls of your feet, point your toes in, squeeze the bike with your legs, unlock your hips, elbows up, look ahead, use serious throttle control, and learn to ride it. Or sell for a loss, and get a 250F and do the same things mentioned above.
Moto520
11/19/2020 9:11am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 9:12am
You would be best suited to a 250F. But....just ride the 450F and take it easy. Don't go crazy off the jumps and, with your street bike background, you should be ok IMO. Only you know if you can trust your brain to stay out of trouble. Ride extra cautiously and stay present
TXDirt
11/19/2020 9:14am
Something more manageable like this would have been better for a beginner.

TeamGreen
11/19/2020 9:17am
As others have said...

Re-map it for smoother power delivery/less power and take your time learning to ride -carefully-. I like the suggestion of installing a 14 tooth sprocket on the front and maybe a 48 tooth in the rear to help flatten out the power surge; but, technically make the bike "faster" (Increases top speed; but, smooths out/slows down the rapid accelaration...a little bit).

Being 200#/6'1' is an advantage.
Being smart enough to say,"Damn! This thing is QUICK!" is ALSO a good thing.

With the other experience you've had riding bikes on the street, you already know how to be careful & pay attention to what's going on around you; so, take it easy & just be careful. Maybe find a friends that rides moto and mybe get some trail or track time in with some coaching. Yes, there are "tracks" that're good for learning on & there are some pretty damn good riding coaches out there.

Look up USMCA (US Motorcycle Coaching Association) for a list of instructors. There are more than a few that can help with some basics that will teach you how to NOT get into to trouble...starting with telling your right wrist that "smooth is smart"!

https://usmca.org

Good luck and I'll see ya out in the Dez.

Manny

ps-The 450R is a LOUD bike. I'd get a quieter exhaust system to make it a bit quieter for off-roading.
spimx
11/19/2020 9:22am
Mapping and exhaust and don't sell it
APLMAN99
11/19/2020 9:24am
Did you buy it from a dealer? Either you put out an extreme amount of self confidence buying a 450R or the salesman is a dickhead...

mxb2 wrote:
Not the salesmans fault,. He is there to sell product. Research before you spend 10k. That being said, take the loss. Buy a new leftover 250f...
Not the salesmans fault,. He is there to sell product. Research before you spend 10k. That being said, take the loss. Buy a new leftover 250f or 350. Those will be cheaper anyway.
Can you imagine how most of the folks here would complain about a salesman trying to "qualify" them to determine if there were capable of buying a bike?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The indignation would be epic!
numbers
11/19/2020 9:25am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Good thing Ryno doesn't post here... Sell it and get a smaller bike. You'll lose money, but I think you'll lose more if you trade it...
Good thing Ryno doesn't post here...

Sell it and get a smaller bike. You'll lose money, but I think you'll lose more if you trade it in. Who knows, talk to your dealer and see what they say. I'm sure they'll work with you to get you on a smaller bike.
This. Get a 250f. Just get what ever bike you get parts for close. Have fun be safe.
byke
11/19/2020 9:31am
TXDirt wrote:
Something more manageable like this would have been better for a beginner. [img]https://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/Classic/kawasaki-Kx500-94-01.jpg[/img]
Something more manageable like this would have been better for a beginner.

Haha, exactly what came to mind as well. Younger folks may not remember, but new riders went through the exact same thing back in the smoker days. They figured that 125's were for kids, 250's were okay, but pretty much aaaaaaaall the bigger dudes went straight to the 500. For years there were always a several "like new kx/cr 500, just needs a rear fender" for sale in cycle trader and the local paper.

There was a dude across the street at had a cr500 and I used to pester him to go riding. The this was in the mid-90's and his was a mid 80's that looked like new. It always tripped me out, because I thought his bike was cool and he was like eeeeehhhhh not really into it. Finally he caved and we hit the local spot. He basically did the most noob version of Stewart's infamous Daytona crash. He's running up to this jump and is on the gas a little too much and lofts the front wheel, then shuts it down just as the wheel crests the top of the jump. Of course he endo's his brain out. He was a pretty round fellow too, hit the deck like a bag of rocks on some hardpack. Couldn't breath for a bit and went home. I'm 99% certain he never rode that thing again.
moto67e
Fantasy
2724th
11/19/2020 9:31am
On the right hand side of the handlebar there is a twisty thing. This is what controls the speed you want to go. Use it accordingly.

mxb2
11/19/2020 9:38am

mxb2 wrote:
Not the salesmans fault,. He is there to sell product. Research before you spend 10k. That being said, take the loss. Buy a new leftover 250f...
APLMAN99 wrote:
Can you imagine how most of the folks here would complain about a salesman trying to "qualify" them to determine if there were capable of buying...
Can you imagine how most of the folks here would complain about a salesman trying to "qualify" them to determine if there were capable of buying a bike?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!

The indignation would be epic!
Crazy idea,. Ride or research one before spending 10k.
Deadric
Fantasy
4135th
11/19/2020 9:41am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 9:44am
yz133rider wrote:
Post it in the sale page for trade for a like new 250f wait for a fair deal and just make the trade. Should be easy...
Post it in the sale page for trade for a like new 250f wait for a fair deal and just make the trade.

Should be easy enough honestly.
This is my suggestion also. If your market where you are is even remotely like it was in MN this year you can probably find a straight up trade pretty easy.

There are ways to tame a 450 a bit as others have suggested but if youre truly just scared to ride the thing just go a different route and get a smaller bike. Youre supposed to have fun while riding, not worrying about your biking killing you.
hubbardmx50
11/19/2020 10:05am
If you’re interested in selling it let me know. My dad is currently on a 2015 and wants to upgrade to a 2020. Did you buy it new? You’re located in Santa Clarita?
Motox627!
11/19/2020 10:41am
Just ride it and ease into it. I about shit the first time i rode my 450 at the track and now i absolutely love it. Just because it has a shit ton of power doesn't mean you need to use it all...….

In related news, that's pretty rad you can just go drop 10k on something before even looking into it Cool
fourfourone
11/19/2020 11:01am
How is he to big if the bikes are the same size?.... Most modern 250s will carry 200 pound person around the track no problem.
dcg141
11/19/2020 11:06am Edited Date/Time 11/19/2020 11:10am
I think you should try and sell it and get an enduro model of any kind. I say this only because given the market right now you most likely will not take a big hit and you will so much more enjoy the correct bike. Modern 450 MX bikes are a handful for less experienced riders as you have already found out.

Post a reply to: I messed up and need advice!!

The Latest