I like Tomac even more now.

Drtbykr
4/29/2019 3:46pm
Me too. But I would have liked him if he had of punted Webb 2.
So interesting how different personalities affect their riding.
Webb would punt him without blinking.

Fun to watch, he goes so damn fast. That’s entertainment worth paying for.

Hope he goes 24-0 and everyone chills.
CivBars
4/29/2019 3:53pm
Drtbykr wrote:
Me too. But I would have liked him if he had of punted Webb 2. So interesting how different personalities affect their riding. Webb would punt...

When I was watching him behind Webb I couldn't help but to think if Webb doesn't lay up, Tomac will have the perfect opportunity to spice things up!
4/29/2019 4:30pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2019 4:31pm
If there’s one thing that’s true, it’s that folks on vital love Eli.
There's also a decent chunk of people on here who seem to dislike the guy for whatever reason. I'd say Tomac is easily the most criticized rider on this forum. This weekend is a great example, he got third beating some of the main title contenders and yet there isn't four different threads about how those guys choked or threw it away all season.

The Shop

kpiper
4/29/2019 4:51pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2019 4:51pm
If there’s one thing that’s true, it’s that folks on vital love Eli.
There's also a decent chunk of people on here who seem to dislike the guy for whatever reason. I'd say Tomac is easily the most criticized...
There's also a decent chunk of people on here who seem to dislike the guy for whatever reason. I'd say Tomac is easily the most criticized rider on this forum. This weekend is a great example, he got third beating some of the main title contenders and yet there isn't four different threads about how those guys choked or threw it away all season.
No kidding, you are 100% correct! The guy crashes in the whoops, gets up and still almost wins yet people say, "What is wrong with him?" (goes down twice and still gets 3rd)

Pretty crazy. BB4 fell. ZO16 messed up. MM crashed in turn one. KR rode around again. JS17 down again. Where was Bogle and Seely? Ok, hmmm, wonder what is wrong with Tomac??? Smile

It may just be me but I do think the cheering is loudest when ET is passing people. And maybe when he goes down too but that is part of swinging for the fences.
DPR250R
4/29/2019 4:57pm
There's also a decent chunk of people on here who seem to dislike the guy for whatever reason. I'd say Tomac is easily the most criticized...
It was the same with other riders. Dungey used to get shit for making things boring for example.
4/29/2019 5:13pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2019 5:14pm
Never been one of my favorite riders...but they guy can ride. If only he could keep his head on straight. ILike him much more when he let's his guard down.....the laughing at himself on the podium was great.
BobbyLight
4/29/2019 5:23pm Edited Date/Time 4/29/2019 5:28pm
I've never been a tomac fan when it comes to racing, just because I am/was a dungey/roczen/webb fan, and he has always been the one guy who could beat them so it was just a conflict of interest. But I will say, when he is on he rides the shit out of a dirt bike and its amazing to watch. Also, he seems like a really good person. At muddy creek 2016 he came out after the second moto and took the time to sign autographs/take pics with every single one of his fans standing around his tent. I may not pull for him in races over some others, but I'd grab a beer with him anyday. Off topic but Zacho is also a really cool dude and at the same race gave me a front fender off his race bike, signed it, and had an actual (not mindless) conversation with me for a solid 5 minutes.
beandip
4/29/2019 7:32pm
DF313 wrote:
I like to be entertained, Eli entertains. James Stewart entertained, I don't care about championships to either of their names. The things that get remembered and...
I like to be entertained, Eli entertains. James Stewart entertained, I don't care about championships to either of their names. The things that get remembered and talked about again and again are the races where they did amazing things. I cannot recall a single race of some of the past champions as being exceptionally exciting to watch them in. Eli is always (almost always) fun to watch, even Cooper web has been exciting this year in some races. If Eli never wins a supercross title I'll still remember several specifics races of his career as being awesome. I can't say that about Ryan Dungey though, no disrespect to him.
Minneapolis in ‘13, really...outdoors, etc
Tarz483
Fantasy
583rd
4/30/2019 9:19am
DF313 wrote:
I like to be entertained, Eli entertains. James Stewart entertained, I don't care about championships to either of their names. The things that get remembered and...
I like to be entertained, Eli entertains. James Stewart entertained, I don't care about championships to either of their names. The things that get remembered and talked about again and again are the races where they did amazing things. I cannot recall a single race of some of the past champions as being exceptionally exciting to watch them in. Eli is always (almost always) fun to watch, even Cooper web has been exciting this year in some races. If Eli never wins a supercross title I'll still remember several specifics races of his career as being awesome. I can't say that about Ryan Dungey though, no disrespect to him.
beandip wrote:
Minneapolis in ‘13, really...outdoors, etc
Dungey Really Came around the last couple years , right before the Neck injury, He was the man to beat and had a lot of good exciting rides imo
kpiper
4/30/2019 9:47am
WCRider wrote:
Already a legend of the sport.
True!

And no one even commented on he had a good start last weekend too!

If the guy got starts like Webb did this year he probably would be leading or close. Good starts bring you good luck.

Bad starts have been Tomac's biggest hindrance in his career. The truly great riders all learned how to start well every time.
4/30/2019 9:53am Edited Date/Time 4/30/2019 9:54am
kpiper wrote:
True! And no one even commented on he had a good start last weekend too! If the guy got starts like Webb did this year he...
True!

If the guy got starts like Webb did this year he probably would be leading or close. Good starts bring you good luck.

Bad starts have been Tomac's biggest hindrance in his career. The truly great riders all learned how to start well every time.
I disagree that tomac's starts are to blame for his year - his crashes and poor rides have had more to do with it.
He's been in the thick of things for consistent podiums nearly all year - and threw away quite a few.

Webb on the other hand has had a few bad starts and incredible rides up towards the front.

BUT - I totally agree the truly greats have all been consistently awesome starters. It's weird that way - not only are they always nearly the fastest - but they are also top starters.

brian852
Fantasy
4019th
4/30/2019 10:27am
Drtbykr wrote:
Me too. But I would have liked him if he had of punted Webb 2. So interesting how different personalities affect their riding. Webb would punt...

mx 219
Fantasy
974th
4/30/2019 10:34am
Drtbykr wrote:

CivBars wrote:
When I was watching him behind Webb I couldn't help but to think if Webb doesn't lay up, Tomac will have the perfect opportunity to spice...
When I was watching him behind Webb I couldn't help but to think if Webb doesn't lay up, Tomac will have the perfect opportunity to spice things up!
That's not who Eli is though.

Don't think for a second that Webb wouldn't take out Eli if roles were reversed though. They spoke about it in the post race interviews, but I'd bet good money if roles were reversed Webb would have already tried taking Eli out multiple times..if he could catch him.
mx 219
Fantasy
974th
4/30/2019 10:38am
kpiper wrote:
True! And no one even commented on he had a good start last weekend too! If the guy got starts like Webb did this year he...
True!

I disagree that tomac's starts are to blame for his year - his crashes and poor rides have had more to do with it. He's been...
I disagree that tomac's starts are to blame for his year - his crashes and poor rides have had more to do with it.
He's been in the thick of things for consistent podiums nearly all year - and threw away quite a few.

Webb on the other hand has had a few bad starts and incredible rides up towards the front.

BUT - I totally agree the truly greats have all been consistently awesome starters. It's weird that way - not only are they always nearly the fastest - but they are also top starters.

4 bad rides come to mind

12, 6, 6 and the race where he was battling for the lead and faded to 4th. The 12th he crashed and the anchor came out. 6th's aren't the end of the world, but obviously not great.

I agree with kpiper, Eli's biggest issue, maybe more so than setup was his piss poor starts most of the season.
591MX
4/30/2019 10:52am
As a Tomac fan it’s frustrating that he doesn’t have a sx championship on the big bikes yet but when he’s on, the guy is an absolute beast. The whole reason I became a fan in the first place is simply for the raw speed that he can display when he’s feeling it. What other current US riders can win a moto by a minute or come from 20 seconds back to win in the last 10 minutes? I have huge respect for him and can’t help but appreciate the talent it takes to do that in a field where everyone on the gate is talented and incredibly fast. Indoors or out, that guy is fun to watch when he’s in beast mode.
CivBars
4/30/2019 11:08am
Drtbykr wrote:

CivBars wrote:
When I was watching him behind Webb I couldn't help but to think if Webb doesn't lay up, Tomac will have the perfect opportunity to spice...
mx 219 wrote:
That's not who Eli is though. Don't think for a second that Webb wouldn't take out Eli if roles were reversed though. They spoke about it...

Don't think for a second that Webb wouldn't take out Eli if roles were reversed though. They spoke about it in the post race interviews, but I'd bet good money if roles were reversed Webb would have already tried taking Eli out multiple times..if he could catch him.
I'm excited to see what next week has it store!
fourfourone
4/30/2019 11:09am
Drtbykr wrote:

CivBars wrote:
mx 219 wrote:
That's not who Eli is though. Don't think for a second that Webb wouldn't take out Eli if roles were reversed though. They spoke about it...

While Webb is aggressive I don't think Red bull would want their clean image tarnished by some hot head repeatedly trying to punt the #1 guy off the track.
kpiper
4/30/2019 11:44am
I disagree that tomac's starts are to blame for his year - his crashes and poor rides have had more to do with it. He's been...

You are right, this year has not been all bad starts but it is not like he has started well either. A couple of his wins he came from 12th or 13th on the start. Who does that??? Great fun to watch though!

I meant more his career has been hampered by consistently being a bad starter.

And if he really wants to win a SX title he will have to learn to be a good starter. Too many bad things happen when you are not out front plus it is way harder physically and mentally.
deluxeman
4/30/2019 7:05pm
davistld01 wrote:
Eli is at his best when he's pissed. There is a brutality to the way he attacks a track when he's there to prove something. Sad...
Eli is at his best when he's pissed. There is a brutality to the way he attacks a track when he's there to prove something. Sad that this year he waited too long. All he proved this year was that he didn't have what it took to win the championship. He only got second place by doing his "Ryan Dungey" imitation, and manage points to stay in the top-3.
The only thing he managed this season, is he managed not to win the championship again.......
Ozy
5/4/2019 6:13pm
Every time they get ready to drop the gate, if Eli is on the line, he's the rider I hope will win the race.

To me his skills are in league with the likes of McGrath, Reed, Windham, Stewart, Villomoto. Eli ain't lacking skill, maybe a few poor decision and some better luck

Post a reply to: I like Tomac even more now.

The Latest