I guess we'll find out who's in the booth for SX this Saturday

NorCal 50+
12/17/2018 2:17pm
Vitards are tougher than s 2 dollar steak
Tell me about it- they are all over Ralph like a hare krishna on an airport traveler!

I say put red arrow in the booth. He's been pounding out laps on the track previews forever- give him a shot.
GODZILLA
12/17/2018 2:26pm
Man, I wish you all could understand french and listen to what we've got here.

Different channels and commentators for US SX, outdoor MX, MXGP or french MX, and they almost ALL suck real bad save for one or two. Some of them don't have a clue what or who they're talking about, seems like they've seen their first race a month ago.

I bet you'd never complain about Sheheen and Emig EVER.
Superdave19
12/17/2018 2:41pm
Daniel Blair does a great job- Insightful, good rider viewpoint. He'd be good paired up with JW
12/17/2018 3:05pm
I don't understand all the hate for Ralph, I mean I prefer Weege but I never find myself noticing that either are better at the job than the other. Maybe I don't pay enough attention, I'm not sure.

Kind of unrelated but has anyone seen or heard if they will be having the Race Day Live still? That'd be a huge disappointment to me if not, I look forward to Race Day Live every Saturday, it's a staple of the SX races for me at this point.

The Shop

12/17/2018 3:11pm
Ralph is the voice of supercross.. it wouldn’t be the same without him!
GODZILLA
12/17/2018 3:23pm
Daniel Blair does a great job- Insightful, good rider viewpoint. He'd be good paired up with JW
Am I the only one to dislike his segments? He talks and talks and talks and just bores me to death.
ti473
12/17/2018 3:34pm
Breaking news: Brett Michaels drops his new single "get your ride on part 2" which will be used as intro for supercross all through '19
krypto71
12/17/2018 3:48pm
I'm good with Emig but if he is out bring back Denny.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
12/17/2018 4:01pm
peelout wrote:
my guess is Supercross Logo is going to be the new talent this year

That was the plan, but he's got a little #metoo issue they weren't able to resolve in time for the preview show
tkimb
12/17/2018 4:57pm
Ralph is just annoying. His voice, his shouting of random words in a sentence, he picks one thing and repeats it over and over every single race, regularly makes mistakes, so many little things.

Yeah I couldn't do it but there are people that can. And just because he "is" supercross and loves motor sports etc. doesn't mean he's good at it.
AzTrooper
12/17/2018 5:21pm
Im pretty sure I remember seeing a Tweet from Matthes last week answering a question about it saying it could possibly be Ralph and a guest color commentator each week such as RC.MC,Langston etc. He didnt "Stamp it" though. It kind of looked like it was something he had heard/rumor but nothing solid.
John.
downard254
12/17/2018 5:23pm
I once took a piss standing next to Larry Huffman in the VIP restroom after the last race in Fulton County Stadium. Not that this applies to the basis of this thread, but I thought is was a cool enough experience to share.Cool

Plus Larry Huffman was pretty excited while announcing back in the ‘80’s.
zehn
12/17/2018 5:39pm
Sick
GTCD15317
12/17/2018 6:23pm
Ralph is good at what he does. And with that being said. I dont care what or how much he kowns about the sport. It's time for some new (younger) blood in the booth.
Knobbyjake
12/17/2018 6:34pm
I don't know which is worse, trying to listen to Ralph or trying to listen to the Monday Night Football crew with Witten and booger Sick .
Natester551v
12/17/2018 6:49pm
downard254 wrote:
I once took a piss standing next to Larry Huffman in the VIP restroom after the last race in Fulton County Stadium. Not that this applies...
I once took a piss standing next to Larry Huffman in the VIP restroom after the last race in Fulton County Stadium. Not that this applies to the basis of this thread, but I thought is was a cool enough experience to share.Cool

"He's all over him like Russian radiation"....or..."he's all over him like a dog on a piece of meat!!!"....

Gotta love Larry Huffman - he was frickin' awesome.

Although nothing holds a candle to Eckman/Bailey....

The main gripe I have with Ralph is that he has a shrill, high-pitched voice that I find about as much fun as a jock strap full of thumb tacks....
Indy mxer
12/18/2018 5:57am
I like Ralph and Fro. Yeah they make a few mistakes. But NFL announcers do as well.
Twigster
12/18/2018 6:09am
downard254 wrote:
I once took a piss standing next to Larry Huffman in the VIP restroom after the last race in Fulton County Stadium. Not that this applies...

"He's all over him like Russian radiation"....or..."he's all over him like a dog on a piece of meat!!!".... Gotta love Larry Huffman - he was frickin'...
"He's all over him like Russian radiation"....or..."he's all over him like a dog on a piece of meat!!!"....

Gotta love Larry Huffman - he was frickin' awesome.

Although nothing holds a candle to Eckman/Bailey....

The main gripe I have with Ralph is that he has a shrill, high-pitched voice that I find about as much fun as a jock strap full of thumb tacks....
Grew up watching SX on videos with LH doing the commentary, always made it entertaining and a good laugh.

My favourite was "on him like a Hari Krishna on an airport traveller".
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
12/18/2018 7:25am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2018 7:26am
Emig will NOT be back in the booth.
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
12/18/2018 7:34am
langhammx wrote:
What?? Who are they putting in the booth??
ATKpilot99
12/18/2018 7:37am
langhammx wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
Al Michaels and Jackie Stewart.
jeffro503
12/18/2018 7:43am
langhammx wrote:
mattyhamz2 wrote:
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Al Michaels and Jackie Stewart.
My guess would be Dunge. I think that's what they were trying to prep him for last season. I could be wrong , but it kinda makes sense.
flatout111
12/18/2018 7:46am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2018 7:52am
So, Matthes said last night that he thinks Ralph will be making the move from FS1 to NBC for SX and Will Christien will take Jenny's place. Ralph is a pro and I like him a lot but yeah, I know some don't like him but we could do MUCH worse, trust me. Will is excellent. I was hoping for Kristin Beat but Will does a fine job as well. He said not sure who will be on as analyst. Sounds like it won't be Fro, though.

I'm glad Ralph will be back but I do hope he has a really great analyst to go along side him. I love Fro but he was no where near Bailey. I like GL too but still, just like Fro, no one touches Bailey. So I'm hoping Ralph, who can be very good, has a strong partner. It will help the entire presentation. And having a competent pit reporter will be good as well and Will is just that.
clinthadwin
12/18/2018 8:07am
Ya'll are crazy...Don't you all just mute the race and blare "Kickstart My Heart" at full volume on repeat for 3 hours every Saturday like I do?
flatout111
12/18/2018 8:56am Edited Date/Time 12/18/2018 8:58am
Ya'll are crazy...Don't you all just mute the race and blare "Kickstart My Heart" at full volume on repeat for 3 hours every Saturday like I...
Ya'll are crazy...Don't you all just mute the race and blare "Kickstart My Heart" at full volume on repeat for 3 hours every Saturday like I do?
Broadcasting and commentating is actually very important to me, personally, in all sporting events. I had some broadcasting schooling as well as even did some local events at one stage in my life. To me, a good or bad presentation can make or break an event. And no, I don't just want to hear just the engines. Not when watching on TV. Even at a Pro National I take my little radio to listen to the race call.

2 things determine the quality of the broadcast. Budgets and production choices/direction. Pro Motocross does an excellent job. Weege and GL are both very good and knowledgeable. I do think that even they aren't perfect though as, at times, they seem to be trying to much to make it more exciting than it actually is. That is one of my few complaints with the Outdoors presentation. But hey, that's part of their job. Ralph seems to cater too much to the new fans and I would prefer a more traditional race call like the Eckman voiceovers on ESPN. But again, the cater to newbies is his directive from his bosses. But SX needs to stop focusing so much on showing the fans having "fun", the terrible Twitter segment and the non SX related sponsor segments. Yes, I know it is a show but it is, first and foremost, a sport. Treat it as a serious sport.

To some, presentation doesn't matter. And that's fine. To me, it does. A good example of how a great presentation can make a difference would be in NHL Hockey. Watch a broadcast on FS1 or NBC from the States. Then watch Hockey Night in Canada. HNIC is the pinnacle of presentation and is significantly better in every way from commentators, on ice interviews, camera angles, statistic overlays and overall production.

It does make a difference.
clinthadwin
12/18/2018 9:07am
Ya'll are crazy...Don't you all just mute the race and blare "Kickstart My Heart" at full volume on repeat for 3 hours every Saturday like I...
flatout111 wrote:
Broadcasting and commentating is actually very important to me, personally, in all sporting events. I had some broadcasting schooling as well as even did some local...
Broadcasting and commentating is actually very important to me, personally, in all sporting events. I had some broadcasting schooling as well as even did some local events at one stage in my life. To me, a good or bad presentation can make or break an event. And no, I don't just want to hear just the engines. Not when watching on TV. Even at a Pro National I take my little radio to listen to the race call.

2 things determine the quality of the broadcast. Budgets and production choices/direction. Pro Motocross does an excellent job. Weege and GL are both very good and knowledgeable. I do think that even they aren't perfect though as, at times, they seem to be trying to much to make it more exciting than it actually is. That is one of my few complaints with the Outdoors presentation. But hey, that's part of their job. Ralph seems to cater too much to the new fans and I would prefer a more traditional race call like the Eckman voiceovers on ESPN. But again, the cater to newbies is his directive from his bosses. But SX needs to stop focusing so much on showing the fans having "fun", the terrible Twitter segment and the non SX related sponsor segments. Yes, I know it is a show but it is, first and foremost, a sport. Treat it as a serious sport.

To some, presentation doesn't matter. And that's fine. To me, it does. A good example of how a great presentation can make a difference would be in NHL Hockey. Watch a broadcast on FS1 or NBC from the States. Then watch Hockey Night in Canada. HNIC is the pinnacle of presentation and is significantly better in every way from commentators, on ice interviews, camera angles, statistic overlays and overall production.

LMAO.

*woosh*
Trudare69
12/18/2018 9:15am
flatout111 wrote:
Broadcasting and commentating is actually very important to me, personally, in all sporting events. I had some broadcasting schooling as well as even did some local...

** Boom Goes The Dynamite **

Post a reply to: I guess we'll find out who's in the booth for SX this Saturday

The Latest