I finally can say, "I spoke with my wallet."

thatguy
I've been lurking here for years, but rarely post. I can't tell you how many times I've drooled over the beautiful bikes from the members here.

I just bought my first ever new bike today. Got a sweet deal on a left over 2016 RMZ450.

I've never rode a bike with air forks before and it's been years since I've ridden. Any advice for an initial setup for a 200lb beginner/intermediate rider?

Thanks in advance and as petty as it may sound, I'm STOKED to be able to make one of these posts FINALLY. Haha

|
2/1/2017 4:10pm
Nice buy. I've been thinking about buying a new bike myself. Always been a Yamaha guy but the KXF and RMZ are catching my eye.
GuyB
Fantasy
988th
2/1/2017 4:17pm
Nothing quite like a fresh bike going home with you.
RD757
2/1/2017 4:19pm
Not too bad of a truck eitherWhistling

The Shop

DA498
2/1/2017 4:23pm
Awesome! Sweet combo you have. Have fun and be safe!

I'm old!
smoothies862
Fantasy
676th
2/1/2017 4:29pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2017 4:30pm
hardest part is not looking in the mirror all the way home.set it stock and break it in. might take awhile to get the feel back and let the bike settle in.take your time and have fun. change that oil.
TXDirt
2/1/2017 4:33pm
Not too many things better then loading up that brand new fresh bike! Congrats!

Break'er in nice and easy...
thatguy
2/1/2017 4:45pm
Thanks guys! I appreciate the advice. The last bike I bought a few years back put a sour taste in my mouth after the previous owner "prettied up" a clapped out bike. Gonna treat this one well and hopefully she lasts me a long time.
mxb2
2/1/2017 4:52pm
thatguy wrote:
I've been lurking here for years, but rarely post. I can't tell you how many times I've drooled over the beautiful bikes from the members here...
I've been lurking here for years, but rarely post. I can't tell you how many times I've drooled over the beautiful bikes from the members here.

I just bought my first ever new bike today. Got a sweet deal on a left over 2016 RMZ450.

I've never rode a bike with air forks before and it's been years since I've ridden. Any advice for an initial setup for a 200lb beginner/intermediate rider?

Thanks in advance and as petty as it may sound, I'm STOKED to be able to make one of these posts FINALLY. Haha

Congrats, nice. Rmz could use a revalve and make sure rear spring is good for your weight. Set sag. . A pipe really wakes that bike up and some t4 if you keep ignition stock.
EastFlorida
2/1/2017 4:57pm
Woo Hoo! Good for ya!

I feel sorry for the lady at home tonight!
2/1/2017 6:35pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2017 6:36pm
Youll love that bike! I just got my new leftover 2014 rmz450 yesterday, and after my first big ride today I can tell you unequivocably that I am no longer of the "4 strokes blow and 2 strokes rule" opinion. Just an absolute rush of butter smooth, total traction power. I also can feel absolutely zero engine braking so it still feels 2 stroke-like to me. I am so in love with hiw awesome the rmz450 is and you will be too.
305FC250
2/1/2017 7:33pm
Sick truck. Sick bike, congrats. Nothing like rolling your brand new bike out of the showroom.
Grieby54
2/1/2017 8:16pm
Congrats. Like mxb2 said, get the suspension over to your favorite tuner. The RMZ has a pretty rigid chassis and the forks come very stiff stock.

Other things to do when you get to it.
- Ignition remap from www.themotolab.com
- Pipe
- Oversized front rotor

They're great bikes.
2/1/2017 8:27pm
thatguy wrote:
I've been lurking here for years, but rarely post. I can't tell you how many times I've drooled over the beautiful bikes from the members here...

Nice bike. Show us more photos/angles of your truck please. That's a sweet cummins and I'm wondering what lift and size tires/wheels you are running.
sumdood
Fantasy
1282nd
2/1/2017 9:21pm
Congrats ! Nothing better than a brand new bike Cool
mxb2
2/1/2017 9:23pm
Grieby54 wrote:
Congrats. Like mxb2 said, get the suspension over to your favorite tuner. The RMZ has a pretty rigid chassis and the forks come very stiff stock...
Congrats. Like mxb2 said, get the suspension over to your favorite tuner. The RMZ has a pretty rigid chassis and the forks come very stiff stock.

Other things to do when you get to it.
- Ignition remap from www.themotolab.com
- Pipe
- Oversized front rotor

They're great bikes.
Or a vortex ECU,. Motostuff 280 blade , and braided line ,. Good fuel. Haha, my fmf hits harder than my yosh did.
jeffro503
2/1/2017 9:25pm
That's awesome man! Nothing like a new freshie to put in the shop! So you're in Corvallis......if you feel like some track time , come meet me , JW , Bronwyn and a bunch of other cool badass people at Albany this spring! Always a fun time! Congrats on the new bike my man!
Tad450
2/1/2017 9:34pm
I had a 2015 and it was very good. The motors power delivery is near perfect.
You will probably read suggestions all over on the forks. I'm 195 and ran 148psi in inner, 158 in balance, and 0 in outer. Ran the forks at 10mm up in clamps. I did have ENZO revalve front and rear and it did help some. If you are a beginner you should not need a revalve until you start pushing the suspension. Like stated above make sure you have the correct spring rate and set the sag.
I had an FMF full exhaust and it ran fine without a remap. Over sized front rotor is a good idea too.
urbanlift707
2/1/2017 9:35pm
Nice rides, I have a 15. I found the stock forks/suspension to be pretty bad, sent it to FC and it's honestly some of the best stuff I've ever ridden now. My PC pipe also made an incredible difference, I'd get a oversized front brake before a pipe though, that and suspension and your set!
Bruce372
2/1/2017 11:21pm
Congrats dude, it's a great bike for sure.

I've got a bunch of hop up parts for sale, message me
Motofinne
2/1/2017 11:32pm Edited Date/Time 2/1/2017 11:33pm
I would spend some money on the front brake and get the suspension set up for your weight. And get a air fork pump if you didn't get one with the bike!

The good thing for an RMZ owner is that there are lots of used parts available for relatively small amounts of money. I think someone in the bazaar had a mint set of A60/Talon Carbon wheels for only 600 bucks a few weeks ago.
Bruce372
2/1/2017 11:44pm
Motofinne wrote:
I would spend some money on the front brake and get the suspension set up for your weight. And get a air fork pump if you...
I would spend some money on the front brake and get the suspension set up for your weight. And get a air fork pump if you didn't get one with the bike!

The good thing for an RMZ owner is that there are lots of used parts available for relatively small amounts of money. I think someone in the bazaar had a mint set of A60/Talon Carbon wheels for only 600 bucks a few weeks ago.
Exactly, most hop up parts from 2008 and new will fit the 2015.
thatguy
2/2/2017 8:38am
Thanks for the advice! I haven't been on a bike in years and I like to lift weights, so that's a terrible recipe for some arm pump. lol suspension is the first on my list. Good call with bringing it to a tuner, as I have no idea what to do.
thatguy
2/2/2017 8:39am
jeffro503 wrote:
That's awesome man! Nothing like a new freshie to put in the shop! So you're in Corvallis......if you feel like some track time , come meet...
That's awesome man! Nothing like a new freshie to put in the shop! So you're in Corvallis......if you feel like some track time , come meet me , JW , Bronwyn and a bunch of other cool badass people at Albany this spring! Always a fun time! Congrats on the new bike my man!
Thanks for the invite. Unfortunately, I'm back in the Redding, CA area. I went to college in Corvallis about 4-5 years ago and moved home. I've always wanted to ride up there. If I come visit some friends, I might take you up on that offer, if it's still available.
thatguy
2/2/2017 8:43am
thatguy wrote:

Nice bike. Show us more photos/angles of your truck please. That's a sweet cummins and I'm wondering what lift and size tires/wheels you are running.
I just got in done a few weeks ago and haven't had any good pics because of the rain. If you wanna PM me, I'll shoot you my number and send some pics.

I have a Pro Comp 6" coil over kit. I wish I would've splurged for the extra shocks in the front, as it's really rigid on bumpy roads. Rides like a dream on the highway. Ha. 20X12 -44 Hostile Gauntlets and 37X13.5R20 Toyo M/Ts. I need to trim a little bit because there's some rubbing at full lock in reverse.

Thanks for the compliments.

Post a reply to: I finally can say, "I spoke with my wallet."

The Latest