I disagree with Racer X re: Monster Cup mainstream coverage

Related:
Create New Tag

10/16/2018 5:13 PM

Racer X said this in the "Let Tomac Bye" piece they just posted: "For Monster Energy Kawasaki, having Tomac win the million is a huge coup and great marketing tool. That headline will blast to mainstream media and get traction because of the million-dollar prize."

This is where I think the current thinking in the industry goes wrong. We don't need game-show gimmicks and thrown races in a corporate love fest. The modern media consumer is a more sophisticated beast and knows the difference between competition and reality TV. I think that for any non-moto fan watching an event sponsored by Monster Energy in which one Monster-sponsored rider hands the win to another Monster-sponsored rider and a fan holding a can of Monster, it's obvious it's just a promotional event, not a real competition. That is extremely harmful to the sport's legitimacy, rather than enhancing it. And as of Tuesday, I see exactly one "mainstream" article, in which Autoweek pretty much ridiculed the whole thing as a curiosity, far from a legitimate sport. We just took the whole sport down a notch to please the green Monster, and who cares if it helps their marketing? Does anybody think this event is going to inspire USA Today to run a piece?

https://autoweek.com/article/other-motorsports/questions-linger-eli-tomac-wins-2018-monster-energy-cup-las-vegas

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

10/16/2018 5:15 PM

in the world of today's news, with politics, trump, MLB PlayOffs, NFL season in full swing, the return of NBA, College Football, Hurricane Michael, the economics, the trigger happy Saudis, do they really believe that main stream media cares about the MEC? Oblivious!

|

"What are you waiting for? You're faster than this. Don't think you are, know you are. Come on."

10/16/2018 5:18 PM

WGAF ?
Really... does this stuff change anyone’s life in the slightest ? Too many threads started to say the same shit over and over.

|

10/16/2018 5:19 PM

The subtext of this, is Monster has taken control of the entire sport. After watching the MXDN and Monster Cup I had seen so many Monster logos I felt as ill as if I had just shotgunned one of the things. (Cue industry person to lecture me how I don't know that what is good for Monster is good for us all, as we all hold hands and Monster Energy's success propels us into the future).

|

It's impossible for a corporation or government to love you or care about you.

10/16/2018 5:22 PM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

The subtext of this, is Monster has taken control of the entire sport. After watching the MXDN and Monster Cup I had seen so many Monster logos I felt as ill as if I had just shotgunned one of the things. (Cue industry person to lecture me how I don't know that what is good for Monster is good for us all, as we all hold hands and Monster Energy's success propels us into the future).

Yeah, I don’t like that part either, but it’s not going to change. And when they (Monster), decide to pull out, where does this leave our sport ? They are holding the cards... like it or not, it’s true !!

|

10/16/2018 7:02 PM

I tried their drink once to get into an SX pits for free.
I could only tolerate three sips.
And the smell.
Whenever I smell it, I still get quesy
How do they stay in business.
Eventually, we are going to have to part ways.

|

Avoiding JS7 threads since 3/7/17.

10/16/2018 8:57 PM

As long as Monster is pumping money into the sport they should reap the benefits after all that is the point, get a return on their investment.

|

Ed Johnson

10/16/2018 8:58 PM

10000hrs wrote:

I tried their drink once to get into an SX pits for free.
I could only tolerate three sips.
And the smell.
Whenever I smell it, I still get quesy
How do they stay in business.
Eventually, we are going to have to part ways.

I tried Coffee a few times and felt the same way, How the hell does Starbucks stay in business?

|

Ed Johnson

10/16/2018 9:30 PM

How many outside of core moto fans even watched it?
And how many people of the exactly one mainstream media outlets that the OP sites did people actually read? Most cars guys would pass right over an article with anything about a dirt bike race.
If you don't like the taste don't drink it.I don't drink it but I sure do like that they pump tons of money into our sport when most big companies don't even think about our niche sport.

|

10/16/2018 9:37 PM

Just stop watching and stop posting. It will do you some good. You already linked to that article in another thread. I honestly hope you find some peace with all this.

|

10/16/2018 10:03 PM

NorCal 50+ wrote:

Racer X said this in the "Let Tomac Bye" piece they just posted: "For Monster Energy Kawasaki, having Tomac win the million is a huge coup and great marketing tool. That headline will blast to mainstream media and get traction because of the million-dollar prize."

This is where I think the current thinking in the industry goes wrong. We don't need game-show gimmicks and thrown races in a corporate love fest. The modern media consumer is a more sophisticated beast and knows the difference between competition and reality TV. I think that for any non-moto fan watching an event sponsored by Monster Energy in which one Monster-sponsored rider hands the win to another Monster-sponsored rider and a fan holding a can of Monster, it's obvious it's just a promotional event, not a real competition. That is extremely harmful to the sport's legitimacy, rather than enhancing it. And as of Tuesday, I see exactly one "mainstream" article, in which Autoweek pretty much ridiculed the whole thing as a curiosity, far from a legitimate sport. We just took the whole sport down a notch to please the green Monster, and who cares if it helps their marketing? Does anybody think this event is going to inspire USA Today to run a piece?

https://autoweek.com/article/other-motorsports/questions-linger-eli-tomac-wins-2018-monster-energy-cup-las-vegas

Man let it go already. Who cares if USA Today writes a piece on moto. No one picks that magazine up to read about motocross. Like langhammx said there are enough threads on this topic already. Go rant about it there...... Some more

|

10/16/2018 10:32 PM
Edited Date/Time: 10/16/2018 10:34 PM

If they changed the format they could eliminate any thoughts of anyone dropping anchor in the future. How about something like 3 moto's that pay 200K for first, 75K for 2nd, and 25K for 3rd. Win all 3 and get an extra 100K. Savatgy had nothing to lose. How is what happened any different than someone throwing a fight ? I know 98% of the population doesn't care but I don't to want to see a guy take a dive, I want to see a race !, I WANT MY WAR !! laughing
Photo

|