I disagree...

Pdub
Edited Date/Time 1/22/2012 10:46am
Which probably doesn't surprise most of you. But I disagree with the conventional wisdom about moto TV. Shenzi mentioned something in another thread that I wanted to pick up on.

I have been a proponent of live TV coverage for our sport for a long time, and I am glad to see that it has finally arrived, but I'm not happy about it entirely because I feel the "second moto only" format shortchanges the viewer and signals that the network is not convinced that airing moto is a good business decision.

I disagree with the producers attempts to "explain" the sport to those unfamiliar with the sport. If you're interested, you'll do your own research to learn more; if you're not interested, a dumbed-down explanation is not likely to change that.

I disagree with the borrowed-from-other-sports "color analyst and play-by-play" announcer set-up. In fact, I disagree with the notion that a voice has to be heard at all times. I disagree that it's the announcer's job to get the audience excited. That's the sport's job! For example, during that amazing first 450 moto at Red Bud, the announcers at times seemed to get caught up in providing "color" (recapping Short's and Townley's previous seasons) while neglecting to describe the awesome action that was unfolding. One may argue that they don't need to describe what everyone can plainly see. If that's the feeling, then I rest my case...

Now before anyone starts to think this is just a complaining thread, let me assure you that I think this season's media mix is the best it's ever been. Think about it: the U.S. Nationals available WORLDWIDE on the internet in real time for free! And other media outlets like Transworld are allowed to include video coverage in their reporting. All of that is positive movement in the right direction.

So hopefully, one day, we'll see U.S. MX covered with the same respect and professionalism as pro football: live coverage of the entire event from beginning to end.
|
CamP
7/8/2010 11:50am
The first moto coverage on Allisports has been excellent, but the TV coverage gets a C. Too much fluff and not enough racing.
7/8/2010 12:15pm
CamP wrote:
The first moto coverage on Allisports has been excellent, but the TV coverage gets a C. Too much fluff and not enough racing.
I agree. I would be happy to watch both motos on Alli.

The NBC broadcasts are horrible.
jimid553
7/8/2010 12:32pm
I agree that the show needs work. I can't think of another sport that would dumb down the broadcast for a "new" fans benefit? I think people would be more inclined to watch something that looks polished and professional. I for one don't really care if people watch....I liked it better when my riding buddies and I were the only ones who cared what color the 88' CR's were going to be.
ocscottie
7/8/2010 12:34pm
jimid553 wrote:
I agree that the show needs work. I can't think of another sport that would dumb down the broadcast for a "new" fans benefit? I think...
I agree that the show needs work. I can't think of another sport that would dumb down the broadcast for a "new" fans benefit? I think people would be more inclined to watch something that looks polished and professional. I for one don't really care if people watch....I liked it better when my riding buddies and I were the only ones who cared what color the 88' CR's were going to be.
you should see/hear the F1 broadcasts when they air on FOX instead of Speed...uuuggh.

The Shop

7/8/2010 12:55pm
jimid553 wrote:
I agree that the show needs work. I can't think of another sport that would dumb down the broadcast for a "new" fans benefit? I think...
Baseball, basketball, and football all dumb down the broadcasts and do the explaining thing. They explain plays, rules, etc..
tiddlermx23
7/8/2010 1:33pm
I agree with everything you said in your post! Sometimes they really do need to be quiet and let the bikes do the talking! and why not have it like moto gp or superbike and have it with two 1 hour slots for each race?
level
7/8/2010 1:35pm
Pdub wrote:
Which probably doesn't surprise most of you. But I disagree with the conventional wisdom about moto TV. Shenzi mentioned something in another thread that I wanted...
Which probably doesn't surprise most of you. But I disagree with the conventional wisdom about moto TV. Shenzi mentioned something in another thread that I wanted to pick up on.

I have been a proponent of live TV coverage for our sport for a long time, and I am glad to see that it has finally arrived, but I'm not happy about it entirely because I feel the "second moto only" format shortchanges the viewer and signals that the network is not convinced that airing moto is a good business decision.

I disagree with the producers attempts to "explain" the sport to those unfamiliar with the sport. If you're interested, you'll do your own research to learn more; if you're not interested, a dumbed-down explanation is not likely to change that.

I disagree with the borrowed-from-other-sports "color analyst and play-by-play" announcer set-up. In fact, I disagree with the notion that a voice has to be heard at all times. I disagree that it's the announcer's job to get the audience excited. That's the sport's job! For example, during that amazing first 450 moto at Red Bud, the announcers at times seemed to get caught up in providing "color" (recapping Short's and Townley's previous seasons) while neglecting to describe the awesome action that was unfolding. One may argue that they don't need to describe what everyone can plainly see. If that's the feeling, then I rest my case...

Now before anyone starts to think this is just a complaining thread, let me assure you that I think this season's media mix is the best it's ever been. Think about it: the U.S. Nationals available WORLDWIDE on the internet in real time for free! And other media outlets like Transworld are allowed to include video coverage in their reporting. All of that is positive movement in the right direction.

So hopefully, one day, we'll see U.S. MX covered with the same respect and professionalism as pro football: live coverage of the entire event from beginning to end.
Have to agree with everything you said. Was pretty much annoyed by not showing first moto's. I mean it's the Speed channel. They have plenty of repeats. Surely they can show 2 hours of MX. Also, I thought the same thing when they talk and there is action going on. I think you hit the nail on the head.

On another note I really don' like Emig. He drags on and don't really like what he has to offer for the most part.
redalert144
Fantasy
3087th
7/8/2010 2:08pm
I am hoping that one day we can have a slitely tape delayed 1st moto of the 250 and 450 classes and then have both 2nd motos live! if anything tho, just tape delay the 1st 450 moto and show the 2nd live.

good post btw P-Dub
iudi2006
Fantasy
312th
7/8/2010 2:13pm
CamP wrote:

I agree with you guys. I'd rather watch both motos on Alli. Especially since you can just hook up your laptop to the TV.
oldx
7/8/2010 2:18pm
I agree with Pdub and CamP
DC
7/8/2010 2:18pm
Thanks for the input, I will pass it along. But here's something funny: All three shows -- NBC, Speed and Allisports.com -- come of the same TV truck, with the same production crew. Why are they different? Because NBC wants more general than Speed, and Allisports.com knows it's going to core motocross fans all over the world!

DC
MX Sports
MrMJS
7/8/2010 2:22pm
Id like to see better camera angles, I remember a few years ago at one of the X Games events how great of a job they did with angles.. it really makes a difference.
7/8/2010 2:22pm
99% of the TV viewership has never been on a bike and has no clue what's happening other than some guys flying around a track. You absolutely have to gear it toward the average Joe.

My uncle barely knows what a dirt bike is. When I mentioned I was racing at Vegas Supercross (amateur day) his eyes lit up and he was like-- "oh I saw that on TV!" He immediately had a clue about what it was all about. TV is huge for that.
Racer92
7/8/2010 2:24pm
Good stuff Pdub, as usual you make lots of sense.
txmxer
7/8/2010 2:24pm
CamP wrote:

especially when the first 3 minutes of the broadcast are other sports updates. We lose enough of the show without that.

jbomx363
7/8/2010 2:26pm
Some of the things are simple.

Let the RIDERS AND TEAMS KNOW that there will be an interview FORMAT CHANGE.

Erin (ugggh) will ask about the race stuff so that the rider can actually talk about what was going on for them while racing, then after that will offer a "WHO WOULD YOU LIKE TO THANK" question so that the riders have a chance to speak openly without feeling rushed to get in their sponsors. It can't take long for a few questions and one of them at the end a "THANKS" question right? Of course, this would also mean that Erin (uggh) would have to come up with some meaningful question besides the "what does that mean to you" nonsense.

I've got more.. but that's a simple one to fix.

JPT
7/8/2010 2:28pm
Even if they have to do highlights of one of the moto's they could show a lot more if they cut out even half of the fluff. The first moto of last weeks race had a lot of battling going on and they spent maybe a minute on it.
txmxer
7/8/2010 2:32pm
JPT wrote:
Even if they have to do highlights of one of the moto's they could show a lot more if they cut out even half of the...
Even if they have to do highlights of one of the moto's they could show a lot more if they cut out even half of the fluff. The first moto of last weeks race had a lot of battling going on and they spent maybe a minute on it.
Smart man. They could do 5 minutes of highlights and cut a TON of fluff.

The track map is necessary IMO. Like to see the layout. And then the helmet cam after the track map. I'd also take a helicopter shot following a rider around the track to get a feel for the flow.

Minimize interviews unless it's something really important.
Hut
7/8/2010 2:34pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2010 2:36pm
oldx wrote:
I agree with Pdub and CamP
Same here, good posts.

The first moto coverage online has been excellent lately.
Hank_Thrill
7/8/2010 2:53pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2010 3:02pm
Here's what I want Mr. Coombs.

No more hi-definition motocross, I'm tired of it! I no longer have 20/20 vision, so spare the sponsors the dime and use standard definition, because it makes no difference to me, visually, on my tiny little picture box. Please, air the races a week, or perhaps a month, after they happen, and combine all four motos of the day into a single hour of programming. No more live coverage. And please fire the entire announcing staff, and rehire them with washed up golf journalist. I also want the production crew to film everything with black and white cameras from the 1950's. Color television is over-rated, plus my television only displays in black and white anyways.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
7/8/2010 3:11pm
The broadcast schedule last weekend had me seriously winded. The 1st moto video was live on the net, then I had to walk to the living room to catch the 2nd 450 moto live on NBC, and then I had to walk all the way back to my office to listen to the 2nd 250 moto.

I felt like some sort of traveling moto-gypsy.
7/8/2010 3:13pm
disbanded wrote:
The broadcast schedule last weekend had me seriously winded. The 1st moto video was live on the net, then I had to walk to the living...
The broadcast schedule last weekend had me seriously winded. The 1st moto video was live on the net, then I had to walk to the living room to catch the 2nd 450 moto live on NBC, and then I had to walk all the way back to my office to listen to the 2nd 250 moto.

Buy a laptop and save your energy and breath.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
7/8/2010 3:26pm
I tried to, but my wife almost bit my hand off.
DanDunes818
7/8/2010 3:34pm
disbanded wrote:
The broadcast schedule last weekend had me seriously winded. The 1st moto video was live on the net, then I had to walk to the living...

i feel your pain brother...
txmxer
7/8/2010 3:58pm
disbanded wrote:

beer and bathroom breaks.
Hut
7/8/2010 4:02pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2010 4:03pm
You might need to get one of those PC trash cans to cool off between motos in the hall way. Smile
ocscottie
7/8/2010 4:11pm
It was only a few short years ago that all everyone complained about was the nats being on OLN, and at times having to wait over a month to see the races because of TDF coverage.

Let see, now we have live webcasts, live on network television, next day 250 class (remember having to wait until Tuesday and them being broadcast at strange times during the day)

Can it still improve? yes, but it has come a long way in a short time and i think it can only get better.
disbanded
Fantasy
1676th
7/8/2010 4:13pm
disbanded wrote:

txmxer wrote:
beer and bathroom breaks.
The two go hand in hand don't they?
WhipMeister
Fantasy
4434th
7/8/2010 5:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/8/2010 5:03pm
When you add material to reach out to newbie fans, you're going to bore the hard-core fan. The reason you do it? Because the hard-core fan is going to watch it no matter what (and bitch about it later). The newbie needs some hand-holding to get the hook set. I'm ok with anything designed to broaden the appeal of the sport because I understand how that will help everyone involved..

Post a reply to: I disagree...

The Latest