I did it. Cut the cord.

kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
Edited Date/Time 8/27/2016 6:54pm
Ive been saying that I was going to cut the cord over and over. Welp, I turned my shit in Wednesday. First, Im in a unique position that my cable company is a co-op (I know) with fiber optic, underground cable. When you call, a human answers and you actually get to know the other person. Never loose TV (for that matter, all lines are underground, like electricity. Numerous tornados tends to get better planned services). The service was great, but expensive.

Anyway, have Netflix, Amazon, and Vue. Watched the races today and had fewer issues than in the past. Only thing I regret is not doing it earlier and saving money a long time ago.
|
Travis_Hudson
Fantasy
1089th
8/27/2016 7:03pm
I have thought about doing this also........but fml my wife likes reality tv.
3rdgearpinned
8/27/2016 7:22pm
I called and asked time warner where I turn my boxes in. I was ready to cut that crap. Have cable, phone and Internet for $220 per month. She said "let me see if there is a promotion for you" 3 minutes later, it was $165 for all that. Guess I'll be keeping it till the "promotion" runs out lol
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/27/2016 7:23pm
Thats the beauty of Vue. You get live TV. 3 packages to choose from. I bet you would get the channels she wants for the reality stuff.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/27/2016 7:26pm
My bill was $200 for cable and internet, plus about $20 for both Amazon and Netflix, $220. Now its $90 for internet, netflix, amazon, and live TV with Vue.

The Shop

newmann
8/27/2016 7:27pm
About the only reason I have cable is for the MX coverage and it's so spotty and shitty that it's not worth what I pay. You would think it's the 1990's all over again. I hear Y2K is going to f' up a lot of stuff, sure hope my computer is compatible.Laughing
Brokelegmtn
8/27/2016 7:28pm
I cut it in may and restart the first week of January.
If Supercross wasn't live I wouldn't even bother with the disease.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
8/27/2016 7:32pm
kzizok wrote:
Thats the beauty of Vue. You get live TV. 3 packages to choose from. I bet you would get the channels she wants for the reality...
Thats the beauty of Vue. You get live TV. 3 packages to choose from. I bet you would get the channels she wants for the reality stuff.
We just picked up playstation Vue as well. We got the $35/month package. It's fantastic, we love it. Has all of the good channels we actually watch, plus all the sports channels - and we can watch all the races live. It also includes FS1 and FS2. Vue + Netflix + off air HD antenna = never needing cable or Sat again......

If you own Directv stock, I'd dump it.
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/27/2016 7:32pm Edited Date/Time 8/27/2016 7:33pm
newmann wrote:
About the only reason I have cable is for the MX coverage and it's so spotty and shitty that it's not worth what I pay. You...
About the only reason I have cable is for the MX coverage and it's so spotty and shitty that it's not worth what I pay. You would think it's the 1990's all over again. I hear Y2K is going to f' up a lot of stuff, sure hope my computer is compatible.Laughing
I was the same. Cable for MX. But Vue has NBCSN, Fox regional sports channels, FS1,FS2, all the ESPN's, and bein sports.

Live outdoors and live supercross.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
8/27/2016 7:33pm
I cut it in may and restart the first week of January.
If Supercross wasn't live I wouldn't even bother with the disease.
PlayStation Vue via Roku - You get live TV including FS1 and FS2. $35/month
kzizok
Fantasy
2034th
8/27/2016 7:41pm
Im no IT guy by any stretch but the streaming races today went soo much better. The cable company I had does not connect via co-ax. All services connect through ethernet connection. So all data goes through the same ethernet cable. I cant help but wonder that without cable TV data going through that same cable, that there was less competing data, Thus, freeing more space?
Detroit Dick
8/27/2016 7:49pm
Can someone clue me in how to do this? Haven't had cable in years, how do I get MX/SX?
MX45
8/27/2016 9:00pm
How do you guys in USA watch 2nd motos live without a cable sub and login?
stremme12
Fantasy
3693rd
8/27/2016 9:13pm
kzizok wrote:
Im no IT guy by any stretch but the streaming races today went soo much better. The cable company I had does not connect via co-ax...
Im no IT guy by any stretch but the streaming races today went soo much better. The cable company I had does not connect via co-ax. All services connect through ethernet connection. So all data goes through the same ethernet cable. I cant help but wonder that without cable TV data going through that same cable, that there was less competing data, Thus, freeing more space?
You probably have fiber to the home that converts to Ethernet at the house. I doubt you will be able to tell a difference. Depending on what equipment they use it could be 100mbps or 1gb speed on the Ethernet.
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
8/27/2016 9:22pm
Can someone clue me in how to do this? Haven't had cable in years, how do I get MX/SX?
1) You have to have internet - I'm assuming you do.

2) Go to Walmart and buy a Roku - I recommend a Roku 2 or higher

3) Go to: https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/
and sign up for a plan - We like the $35/month plan

4) Download the PlayStation Vue App on your Roku and sign into your Vue account

5) Start watching live TV
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
8/27/2016 9:25pm
MX45 wrote:
How do you guys in USA watch 2nd motos live without a cable sub and login?
promotocross.com OR

Watch on the NBCSN App if you have a subscription - we have a Vue subscription which allows us to login
Bennett59
8/27/2016 11:05pm
You guys can also get a Nvidia Shield, Amazon fire stick or TV, or jail break a Apple TV box. Download app Kodi there's AMA racing program on it can watch sx/mx live and can watch all TV shows you want
jeffro503
8/27/2016 11:50pm
Playstation vue question : How does a person get their local channels?
10000hrs
8/28/2016 3:55am
jeffro503 wrote:
Playstation vue question : How does a person get their local channels?
Not that it would work for you ... our internet provider offers a roku app that gives us 13 local hd channels for $13/ month.

as an aside, we live 7 miles from the nearest town and 1/2 mile from the nearest neighbor. One day a telephone repair
guy knocks on the door and asks " How would you like high speed fiber optic service?" Wife says "How much?"
Guy says "Free. Obama stimulus money for rural folk modernization"

ok, sign us up! 18 mbs. cable company says you only need 5 mbs for tv.
8/28/2016 5:16am
Man some of you guys are getting shafted. Cable and 30mb internet for under $40 a month.
TXDirt
8/28/2016 7:25am
Get an Amazon Fire Box. They have more apps available and you can do more then with a Roku. Amazon Fire is built on Android while Roku is built on a closed propriety code base called BrightScript.

Anyways, I recall you can enter your zip code somewhere at PlayStation VUE and it will tell you what local channels they carry in your area. I get all my local channels where I'm at.

I cut the cord a few months ago and couldn't be happier. Download the NBC Sports app to your fire box and login using your VUE credentials. You could watch practice and all 4 Motos live in HD. It's been great.

I have the $55 dollar a month package at VUE and they just added NFL Network. Not sure if it's part of any other package yet but it's now available.

Also, you can get a Amazon Fire Box for $15 off for a limited time.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazon-Fire-TV-Streaming-Media-Player/dp/B00U3FP…
jeffro503
8/28/2016 8:44am
TXDirt wrote:
Get an Amazon Fire Box. They have more apps available and you can do more then with a Roku. Amazon Fire is built on Android while...
Get an Amazon Fire Box. They have more apps available and you can do more then with a Roku. Amazon Fire is built on Android while Roku is built on a closed propriety code base called BrightScript.

Anyways, I recall you can enter your zip code somewhere at PlayStation VUE and it will tell you what local channels they carry in your area. I get all my local channels where I'm at.

I cut the cord a few months ago and couldn't be happier. Download the NBC Sports app to your fire box and login using your VUE credentials. You could watch practice and all 4 Motos live in HD. It's been great.

I have the $55 dollar a month package at VUE and they just added NFL Network. Not sure if it's part of any other package yet but it's now available.

Whoa! I didn't know the Amazon Fire could get the Vue app! I didn't want to buy a PS4 because I don't console game , but was going to pick one up so I could get the Vue app. Glad you mentioned this. I think I need to cut the cord with Direct TV too.
Radical
Fantasy
2360th
8/28/2016 12:36pm
I cut the cable about 5 years ago. I can't justify $80 / month for the cable plan that includes MX / SX.
I buy the fastest internet Time Warner offers for $60 / month (300Mbps/25Mbps) which is great since I usually work from home.

VUE sounds great! I'll be looking into to it right away.
I believe my new LG TV has VUE built in.
jeffro503
8/28/2016 12:36pm
Oh man....so i just committed! I went to best buy just to look at the Amazon fire and a good hd antenna for my local channels. The guy there was super cool! He not only matched the price of $85.00 on the box but then threw in the rocketfish hd antenna for an extra $15.00!! Going to get this all setup , use this week to get it dialed....then I'm turning in my direct tv stuff!!
TXDirt
8/28/2016 2:05pm
jeffro503 wrote:
Oh man....so i just committed! I went to best buy just to look at the Amazon fire and a good hd antenna for my local channels...
Oh man....so i just committed! I went to best buy just to look at the Amazon fire and a good hd antenna for my local channels. The guy there was super cool! He not only matched the price of $85.00 on the box but then threw in the rocketfish hd antenna for an extra $15.00!! Going to get this all setup , use this week to get it dialed....then I'm turning in my direct tv stuff!!
Depending on where you live you will get all your local channels through VUE. I didn't need an antenna at all. I get most local channels in HD through VUE.

I cut my directv service a few months ago and haven't looked back. Wish I did it sooner.

The wife and I actually like the VUE guide layout as well. It takes getting used to but we both love it now.
TXDirt
8/28/2016 2:08pm
TXDirt wrote:
Get an Amazon Fire Box. They have more apps available and you can do more then with a Roku. Amazon Fire is built on Android while...

jeffro503 wrote:
Whoa! I didn't know the Amazon Fire could get the Vue app! I didn't want to buy a PS4 because I don't console game , but...
Whoa! I didn't know the Amazon Fire could get the Vue app! I didn't want to buy a PS4 because I don't console game , but was going to pick one up so I could get the Vue app. Glad you mentioned this. I think I need to cut the cord with Direct TV too.
VUE is awesome on Fire box. Works great! I cut my directv a few months ago. Wish I had done it sooner. This is definitely the future of TV.
yak651
Fantasy
214th
8/28/2016 2:08pm
Following, looking to do this in the next month or so. Unlimited data internet was supposed to be installed this week but the installer schedule was screwed up, so now scheduled for Friday. Only 6MPS, so hopefully fast enough, we do the free trials and if works good DirectTv is going bye bye....
Roostermx58
8/28/2016 2:21pm
I tried to cut my DirectTV when I saw the posts about VUE a couple weeks ago and called to tell DirectTV to turn off my service. They said they would send me a prepaid box to send back my stuff. They called back 3 days later and offered a deal. $41 for 150 channels, 200 visa gift card, free showtime/starz/cinemax/showtime, free nfl sunday ticket, and then they came out to redirect my satellite cause I was having issues. I am on another 12 month contract. So I stayed but was ready to switch.

VUE is nice as they offer a 7 day free trial and actually signed up for a month.I was using it thru the PS4 and a Amazon Fire Stick. As mentioned above, good deal on the Fire Box right now. You can also get showtime for another 10 or so bucks a month thru VUE.

So all in all, Im getting basically the same service with movies and Sunday ticket for the same price. I just have to worry about the dish cutting out during storms :/
TbonesPop
Fantasy
405th
8/28/2016 5:27pm
TXDirt wrote:

NFL Channel comes with the $35/month package too. Just got added.

Post a reply to: I did it. Cut the cord.

The Latest