I can't see... Contacts??

BeachMX
7/10/2020 9:24pm Edited Date/Time 7/13/2020 5:24pm
Hey everyone.

What do you guys with bad eye sight do? Recently back in the sport after a long hiatus, I have tried to ride with contacts, but they dry out really bad and are basically worthless in half a lap. I have pretty much just been riding with nothing, but once it gets dark(Perris last night), it gets really bad, and I can't see anything.

What do you guys do? Maybe some goggles that don't flow air as good, thus not dry out the contacts? I have Armegas right now.

Thanks for the input!!
|
KTMBRO362
Fantasy
3215th
7/10/2020 9:28pm
Maybe try some different brands, and use the daily ones, mine dry out a bit but not really a problem, I just rip them out as soon as I’m done
mike117
7/10/2020 9:31pm
BeachMX wrote:
Hey everyone. What do you guys with bad eye sight do? Recently back in the sport after a long hiatus, I have tried to ride with...
Hey everyone.

What do you guys with bad eye sight do? Recently back in the sport after a long hiatus, I have tried to ride with contacts, but they dry out really bad and are basically worthless in half a lap. I have pretty much just been riding with nothing, but once it gets dark(Perris last night), it gets really bad, and I can't see anything.

What do you guys do? Maybe some goggles that don't flow air as good, thus not dry out the contacts? I have Armegas right now.

Thanks for the input!!
I had LASIK done about a year ago. But I always rode with contacts before (glasses didn't fit right under the goggles, other issues). The contacts I wore for years were the Acuvue daily disposables, and I never had any issues with those, maybe give those a shot.
BeachMX
7/10/2020 9:31pm
KTMBRO362 wrote:
Maybe try some different brands, and use the daily ones, mine dry out a bit but not really a problem, I just rip them out as...
Maybe try some different brands, and use the daily ones, mine dry out a bit but not really a problem, I just rip them out as soon as I’m done
Yeah, mine are flopping around in my eye within a lap... feel like they're coming out!
BeachMX
7/10/2020 9:34pm
BeachMX wrote:
Hey everyone. What do you guys with bad eye sight do? Recently back in the sport after a long hiatus, I have tried to ride with...
Hey everyone.

Thanks for the input!!
mike117 wrote:
I had LASIK done about a year ago. But I always rode with contacts before (glasses didn't fit right under the goggles, other issues). The contacts...
I had LASIK done about a year ago. But I always rode with contacts before (glasses didn't fit right under the goggles, other issues). The contacts I wore for years were the Acuvue daily disposables, and I never had any issues with those, maybe give those a shot.
How did the LASIK work out for you? I have considered that in the past. I can't see close at all, and my distance vision is also a bit lame, but the depth perception is true if that makes sense.

The Shop

-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
7/10/2020 9:40pm
mike117 wrote:
I had LASIK done about a year ago. But I always rode with contacts before (glasses didn't fit right under the goggles, other issues). The contacts...
Same story here. I wore the Acuvue for years and never really had a problem with them. Just make sure to bring your solution along with an extra pair in case you drop/lose one.

I had laser surgery (Intralase SBK) done January 2015 and still have perfect vision. A little bit of ghosting, but not bad.

It was expensive to get done, but the only regret is not having it done sooner.
mike117
7/10/2020 9:59pm
BeachMX wrote:
How did the LASIK work out for you? I have considered that in the past. I can't see close at all, and my distance vision is...
How did the LASIK work out for you? I have considered that in the past. I can't see close at all, and my distance vision is also a bit lame, but the depth perception is true if that makes sense.
Satisfied with it so far... like you, my close up vision was going to crap. I'm in my 40s; when I wore my contacts, small print (menus, books, etc. became almost impossible). They did what they call "blended LASIK"- one eye for faraway, one eye for near. No more trouble with reading things up close.
Bennett59
7/10/2020 10:16pm
BeachMX wrote:
Hey everyone.

Thanks for the input!!
I run acuve oaysis contacts and Bio True solution seems to be the best combo for me, been wearing contacts for almost 10 years. My only issue with night riding and contacts the lights tend to give slight glimmer for me. If it’s really hot out and I’m sweating bad after I pull off the track I try not to rub my eyes to bad or to hard or you can accidentally make them slide around a little and cause discomfort. My brother just started wearing some and no issues but he has the 1 day use ones.
ElliotB16
7/11/2020 4:19am
LASIK for sure. I wore glasses from 6 y/o to 18 and contacts for few years after that. It’s been so nice not having to deal with the hassle anymore. Worth every penny
AxlBundy
7/11/2020 4:53am
Ive never had an issue related to my contacts. if yours are drying out, maybe its something your eyes will adjust to eventually. I had to stop wearing contacts fulltime when I started cubical work staring at a computer all day. Now when I go to contacts on the weekend when I ride, it takes awhile to adjust (doc says its because of the difference in the contact shaping your eye for correction vs a lens in glasses an inch away).

Using a single use accuview oasis contact. They actually make alot of sense when you are only wearing them 4x a month or whatever. I carry spare contacts and glasses like my life depends on it knowing if I would have an issue, not being able to see is one hell of a disability trying to drive home.
WhiteTaco
7/11/2020 5:17am
I wore contacts racing/riding for most of my life. They usually gave me problems at some point but I was wide eyed and not blinking. The intensity of the start of a race made me not blink for quite a while, then when I did the contact was dry and would fold up. Googles are designed to maximize airflow to prevent fogging and this airflow dries them out.

I had lasik last November. Mono-vision. One eye for close vision one for far. The first two weeks I thought I had made a mistake. Now I just see and don’t even think about it. The brain adjusted.

Went to the lake last weekend. Swimming and being able to see at the same time....
Wish I had gone this route a long time ago.
Slaughter612s
Fantasy
189th
7/11/2020 6:28am
BeachMX wrote:
Hey everyone.

Thanks for the input!!
mike117 wrote:
X2 with this. I had LASIK done 1.5 months ago and it’s been life changing is an understatement. Everyone is diff but to me it was worth the investment multiple times over.
CR92
7/11/2020 6:42am
So, I use to have a real problem with them drying out, too. One thing I changed that helped a lot was my goggle lenses. I found the way the normal lenses let the air in was drying my contacts out.
I'm running 100% goggles and decided to try out their vented lense, it's a night and day difference. The vented ones seem to air the goggle out and let them breathe with out the air blowing in my eyes and drying my contacts out.
If you're planning to continue wearing contacts, and not go with an option like lasik, I'd give a vented lense from your goggle of choice a try. Just my $.02.
Whatever the choice, glad to see another person back on the bike! Enjoy!
7/11/2020 7:00am
I could never get used to contacts. I've been using a prescription goggle insert for years with no issues. All you need is your prescription (make sure you have the pupilary distance on there too).

Looks like the company is still around https://rxgoggles.com/

They have different adapters for different goggle brands. I've used the Oakley one and never had any distortion issues.

Run a mirrored lens if you don't want to look like Bubbles.
7/11/2020 7:16am
My prescription is -7.25 in one eye and -7.50 in the other and you call yours "bad eyes"??? LOL..

I use Accuvue Oasys with BioTrue and am good for a day of riding/racing.

I'd like to get Lasik, but I just haven't gotten around to getting it done. Nearest good Dr is 3 hours away and I just haven't pulled the trigger on it yet.
WW444
7/11/2020 7:28am
Contacts weren't for me so I've wore glasses under my goggles for years now and haven't had any problem. But that all comes down to the glasses,goggles and helmet fitment. You have to find what feels the best for you. I wear my old pair of ray bans, fox v3 and 100% goggles and it works for me. I tried that goggle insert and Hated it! They were so far away from my eyes it was like looking down a hallway with a magnifying glass.
kb228
7/11/2020 7:34am
I use contacts. Before you put them on, put your solution in the “bowl” of the lens and it will keep them hydrated better. I used biofinity lenses and bio true solution.
bvm111
7/11/2020 7:37am
as said above, I only wear contacts when riding and put fresh daily acuvue moist contacts in prior to leaving to the track. I put rewetting drops in the cooler and when i come off the track I use those and prior to going back out and rarely have an issue. when i’m done riding i wash my hands off and pull them out and put my glasses on for the drive home. i do bring an extra set just in case, it’s triple digits now in the desert southwest and sometimes shit happens and one comes out later in the day... or i just use it as a sign I should pack up!

mxryan25
7/11/2020 8:10am
Electrical tape along the top foam vents, leave the bottom open helps a bit
gt80rider
7/11/2020 8:19am
I run old school prescription glasses w otg goggles.... Best compromise for me....
BeachMX
7/11/2020 9:13am
Thanks for all the great feedback!! You guys rock!

Sounds like LASIK is the way to go.. I'm going to look into it. Until then, I will try the Acuvue moist with a vented lens. I figure some of the issue is me not blinking enough, and "Wide-eyed" open due to my lack of riding over the past few years! Deer in the headlights status!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3682nd
7/11/2020 9:23am
BeachMX wrote:
Thanks for all the great feedback!! You guys rock! Sounds like LASIK is the way to go.. I'm going to look into it. Until then, I...
Thanks for all the great feedback!! You guys rock!

Sounds like LASIK is the way to go.. I'm going to look into it. Until then, I will try the Acuvue moist with a vented lens. I figure some of the issue is me not blinking enough, and "Wide-eyed" open due to my lack of riding over the past few years! Deer in the headlights status!
Lasik is definitely the way to go if you're a candidate. In the meantime you definitely need to blink more. I had one pop out once because they were getting dry from not blinking enough. Keep your eyes lubricated, blink more and you should notice a significant difference.
otg042
7/11/2020 10:40am
I put my contacts in really wet. I put a couple drops of Pure Moist in the cup of the contact and also wet my fingers that'll be touching the contact. It'll take 10 min or so once the contact is in to seat and dry out. I can still see but my eyelid is wet as is the surrounding area of my eye. I take the Pure Moist with me when I ride, put a few drops in my eyes as needed, I usually don't need to. After I'm done riding I'm usually done with the contacts and put on my glasses. Wind and dust is tough on contacts.

As soon as I qualify for Lasik surgery I'll be doing it, I don't care what it costs. If you add up all the money I've spent on glasses over the years, Lasik surgery is a bargain.
logan_140
7/11/2020 11:49am
bvm111 wrote:
as said above, I only wear contacts when riding and put fresh daily acuvue moist contacts in prior to leaving to the track. I put rewetting...
as said above, I only wear contacts when riding and put fresh daily acuvue moist contacts in prior to leaving to the track. I put rewetting drops in the cooler and when i come off the track I use those and prior to going back out and rarely have an issue. when i’m done riding i wash my hands off and pull them out and put my glasses on for the drive home. i do bring an extra set just in case, it’s triple digits now in the desert southwest and sometimes shit happens and one comes out later in the day... or i just use it as a sign I should pack up!

I wear contacts all the time (daily total 1’s) do the same thing as you. Except I also re use my contacts for a week or 2. Can get way more out of them than just 1 day.
Bennett59
7/11/2020 12:08pm
bvm111 wrote:
as said above, I only wear contacts when riding and put fresh daily acuvue moist contacts in prior to leaving to the track. I put rewetting...

logan_140 wrote:
I wear contacts all the time (daily total 1’s) do the same thing as you. Except I also re use my contacts for a week or...
I wear contacts all the time (daily total 1’s) do the same thing as you. Except I also re use my contacts for a week or 2. Can get way more out of them than just 1 day.
Same here 6 month supply last me a year if you take care of them they last
reded
7/11/2020 12:41pm Edited Date/Time 7/11/2020 12:42pm
I’ve been wearing contacts for 30yrs and never a problem. Hell I’ve ridden without goggles at times with no issues other than extreme dust.

For those of you who have done LASIK, how old were you when you got it done? I’m nearing 50 and wondering if it’s even worth it now but would like to ditch the contacts.
garagedog
Fantasy
802nd
7/11/2020 12:55pm
I use contacts just for riding on the weekends. No issues with Oakley goggles.

At first I tried the 1 close up, 1 distance and that combination was not good for me. Depth perception was way off.

I went to just distance only and its great (Acuvue Oasys with HydraLuxe, 1 day).

I cant use them when cycling, the wind makes them blur out (astigmatism).
G-man
7/11/2020 12:58pm
Yup I too have been wearing contacts for 40 years while riding. I'm so old I used to wear the old gas permeable Rigid lenses they were very uncomfortable and I've had them pop out going down Carlsbad's freeway you want talk about a thrill ride! Woohoo

I have been turned down for getting lasik so I still have to wear my contacts when I ride and yes dust can be an issue what I do as far as goggles:
I get the Oakley sand goggle which has a dense foam to help keep the dust out of my eyes and it also helps from them drying out due to excessive air getting thru.

Only downside is if it's humid out or after rain sometimes they can fog up so you have to vent them but after a rain sometimes I'll use a different goggle as I don't need to worry about dust.

chump6784
7/11/2020 2:45pm
When I first started wearing contacts I could ride with them without any real problem, sometimes they would dry out but I could blink them back into place. Eventually it got to the point where contacts just didn't work for me.

I now wear glasses and don't have any issues. I run a smaller plastic frame pair of glasses with a Bell helmet and Oakley O2 goggles as they have a cut out on the side of the fame to allow for glasses. Also the lenses in my glasses are transitions so they tint in bright conditions and go light in dark conditions. The only time I ever have a problem is slow trails when my glasses will fog up due to lack of airflow.
7/11/2020 4:53pm
I use monthly contacts and haven't had any issues. With a two stroke when you first get on the gas they will rattle a little bit but after they settle in and are good to go lol.

Post a reply to: I can't see... Contacts??

The Latest