MotoX85
This is ridiculous, getting so sick of modern day television
|
Excaliburbmx
7/23/2016 6:30pm
I can see them showing up to the checkers but all the after stuff come on
RMZ#
7/23/2016 6:50pm
NBCsports knew they can run over 12 min before the start of the moto. 3 min of Kyle Busch is worth 6 hrs of moto in the Advertising world.

It all worked out.
7/23/2016 6:56pm
I think Kyle Bush was the kid in middle school who got his ass kicked by all the cool kids.
RMZ#
7/23/2016 7:12pm
I think Kyle Bush was the kid in middle school who got his ass kicked by all the cool kids.
Have you seen his wife???? He is the cool kid now.

Klye Busch won the game!!!!

And they say money can't buy you happiness!!

The Shop

(((what)))
7/23/2016 7:53pm
If you say things like that, people may accuse you of potentially being the "cool kid" who peaked in middle school.
7/23/2016 8:09pm
KB is the most talented stockcar driver of this era. But I do see your point, he looks like a dweeb.
7/23/2016 8:13pm
RMZ# wrote:

She's baaaaad
BAMX
7/23/2016 10:22pm
When a local motocross race puts thousands of people in the stands each week like dozens of local stock cars races do, you can come back and complain. Motocross is a blip on the radar compared to NASCAR.
B Gotti
Fantasy
4205th
7/23/2016 10:57pm
If they would have switched over you would be bitching about the commercials.
pbody
Fantasy
320th
7/23/2016 11:10pm
What's funny is the number of fans at Indy to watch the Xfinity race today....probably more at Washougal. The chase format is killing ticket sales and tv ratings.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
726th
7/24/2016 5:40am
Yes, they should piss off the real money maker so they
can go out of business and not broadcast anything. Wink
TM
7/24/2016 6:16am
pbody wrote:
What's funny is the number of fans at Indy to watch the Xfinity race today....probably more at Washougal. The chase format is killing ticket sales and...
What's funny is the number of fans at Indy to watch the Xfinity race today....probably more at Washougal. The chase format is killing ticket sales and tv ratings.
This. Those grandstands were EMPTY! Granted it was the second fiddle series, but they were racing in front of empty seats.
Tpog496
7/24/2016 6:41am
I thought it was a good xfinity race. That being said I wished they had more time to explain the tinted lense thing during the race.
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
7/24/2016 8:43am
And now he makes 30 mil a year and has a smoking hot wife. All this by being able to drive a car in a circle!

He is one of the best drivers I've ever seen and I've been following auto racing once the 60's
MotoX85
7/24/2016 9:10am
BAMX wrote:
When a local motocross race puts thousands of people in the stands each week like dozens of local stock cars races do, you can come back...
When a local motocross race puts thousands of people in the stands each week like dozens of local stock cars races do, you can come back and complain. Motocross is a blip on the radar compared to NASCAR.
I've been to Nas dork races, on pit wall, have family that's a crew chief, they barely fill the stands except at the bigger races like Daytona, talledega. All the others barely have anyone show up. Most people watch on TV and that's where all their money comes from is sponsors and tv deals. Chicago couple years back barely had 10000, let's not talk about Gateway in St Louis, I think the local high school football game had more.

But I get your point
MotoX85
7/24/2016 9:11am
All the others that I've been, sorry, forgot you had to be extremely literal or the Internet loser police will correct you and call you every name in the book
7/24/2016 9:40am
RMZ# wrote:

TripleFive wrote:
[img]https://samanthabusch.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/fcl.jpg[/img] She's baaaaad

She's baaaaad
I bet he hits that as hard as he hits his opponents into the wall.
USMCMXer
7/24/2016 3:08pm
I was annoyed at first as well. Then it cut right to the start and we were all spared another track map, green arrow cruise around a poor representation of the actual track, and some random commercials. The kissing of the bricks and checking out Mrs Busch was better than the aforementioned mx show events, so no biggie here.
MotoX85
7/24/2016 4:34pm
That is true, we didn't miss any moto
Sully
7/24/2016 4:53pm
pbody wrote:
What's funny is the number of fans at Indy to watch the Xfinity race today....probably more at Washougal. The chase format is killing ticket sales and...
This. Those grandstands were EMPTY! Granted it was the second fiddle series, but they were racing in front of empty seats.
Doesn't Indianapolis Motor Speedway have seating for 300,000 people, or something like that? With that many seats, there could have been 70,000 spectators and the place would still look empty. There isn't a motocross race in the world that brings in that many people.
burn1986
Fantasy
3311th
7/24/2016 6:30pm
Yep, she's pretty cute:
7/24/2016 8:09pm
pbody wrote:
Ha! The Chase format is not at all what's killing NASCAR attendance.

If you have this conception that the Chase has hurt regular season racing, you're a fool.
BAMX
7/24/2016 8:51pm
pbody wrote:
TripleFive wrote:
Ha! The Chase format is not at all what's killing NASCAR attendance. If you have this conception that the Chase has hurt regular season racing, you're...
Ha! The Chase format is not at all what's killing NASCAR attendance.

If you have this conception that the Chase has hurt regular season racing, you're a fool.
The Chase is one of many factors that has hurt NASCAR although certainly not the only factor
My top reasons:
1. The Chase, for some of us, the fact that you have a season champion based off of a few race shootout is just stupid and make the whole thing a joke.
2. Drivers being picked through nepotism instead of driving ability (it seems like every young driver is related to a team owner or driver)
3. High ticket prices
4. Changing focus from it being a race experience into it being a consumer shopping experience
5. Getting rid of short tracks that have exciting races in favor of fancy new 2 mile tracks that are boring.

7/24/2016 9:03pm Edited Date/Time 7/24/2016 9:25pm
BAMX wrote:
The Chase is one of many factors that has hurt NASCAR although certainly not the only factor My top reasons: 1. The Chase, for some of...
The Chase is one of many factors that has hurt NASCAR although certainly not the only factor
My top reasons:
1. The Chase, for some of us, the fact that you have a season champion based off of a few race shootout is just stupid and make the whole thing a joke.
2. Drivers being picked through nepotism instead of driving ability (it seems like every young driver is related to a team owner or driver)
3. High ticket prices
4. Changing focus from it being a race experience into it being a consumer shopping experience
5. Getting rid of short tracks that have exciting races in favor of fancy new 2 mile tracks that are boring.

I've watched NASCAR since birth. Used to be a spotter on a local Late Model team. I absolutely love the sport.

The reasons for low attendance, from my perspective, is primarily related to numbers 3, 4, & 5 on your list. In particular #5.

In the late 90's - early 00s NASCAR was BOOMING. The sport gained a lot of investment from outside sponsors. Big money developers invaded the sport and started building "cooking-cutter" 1.5mi tracks, and jacking the ticket prices up. The economy tanked and we're left with a sport that looks very little like its roots. Short track racing, beating and banging, tempers flaring --- that's the heart of NASCAR. It's not downforce, splitters, competition cautions, or the "lucky dog."

Before NASCAR switched to the Chase format thirteen years ago, the champion was determined before the last race, often with a few weeks left in the series. Often times it wasn't the driver with the most race wins, but simply the guy who finished in the top 5 - 10 most often. Accordingly, the championship really didn't mean shit, excitement-wise, to me. It was just an afterthought compared to the race each week.
pbody
Fantasy
320th
7/25/2016 11:32am Edited Date/Time 7/25/2016 11:58am
TripleFive wrote:
I've watched NASCAR since birth. Used to be a spotter on a local Late Model team. I absolutely love the sport. The reasons for low attendance...
I've watched NASCAR since birth. Used to be a spotter on a local Late Model team. I absolutely love the sport.

The reasons for low attendance, from my perspective, is primarily related to numbers 3, 4, & 5 on your list. In particular #5.

In the late 90's - early 00s NASCAR was BOOMING. The sport gained a lot of investment from outside sponsors. Big money developers invaded the sport and started building "cooking-cutter" 1.5mi tracks, and jacking the ticket prices up. The economy tanked and we're left with a sport that looks very little like its roots. Short track racing, beating and banging, tempers flaring --- that's the heart of NASCAR. It's not downforce, splitters, competition cautions, or the "lucky dog."

Before NASCAR switched to the Chase format thirteen years ago, the champion was determined before the last race, often with a few weeks left in the series. Often times it wasn't the driver with the most race wins, but simply the guy who finished in the top 5 - 10 most often. Accordingly, the championship really didn't mean shit, excitement-wise, to me. It was just an afterthought compared to the race each week.
Agree with you, and a slightly different interpretation on your last paragraph....

I have no problem with the champion being decided with a few races to go, so classic points format is good for me. My interest is in the week-to-week, hard-nose, aggressive racing of everyone racing for the best finish possible..... putting the best stuff they had into the car every week in order to find something to get better for the next race and all the races after that, not just for one of the final 10 races of the year.....seeing who can find something in themselves or their car and get a run going to chase points down and vie for a championship.

Say a driver is doing great in points and now they have a wreck caused by someone else in one of the 3-race qualifier rounds, then your chance at the championship just took a huge hit. Ability to move on was just removed from the driver's and team's hands. Luck becomes too big of a player in the chase format.

I view the best racer of the year the one who can handle any track thrown at them, not necessarily the one who gets several ones at a specific type of track. And sure, a champion might end the season without the most wins, but that is series championship racing. Same goes for any sport; best record-holding NFL team may not win the Super Bowl.

Since the championship is no longer determined so much by the week-to-week racing, people wait until the Chase starts and then start paying attention. So sure, the last 10 races have great attendance and viewership, but the remaining 26 races are hurt drastically.

There is a reason that NASCAR stopped releasing attendance numbers in 2012.

Am I the only one that feels this way about the chase format...no. Do others feel the same way as I do...yes. The big question is how many? 10%? 20%? Let''s go conservative....if there's a 10% reduction in fandom due to chase format, then there you have the 10% reduction that's in line with ISC ticket sales, as well as weekly TV ratings. To compound that, you take a 10% drop in talk around the water-cooler and the opportunity to grab new fans just decreased as well. Until something changes, the decrease will compound and continue.

Per ISC "Ticket sales at International Speedway Corporation (ISC) tracks dropped 8.3% from March through May, but company executives don't expect that trend to continue through the end of the year. The ISC 2016 second quarter financial results include NASCAR weekends at six tracks - Phoenix, Auto Club (California), Martinsville, Talladega, Richmond and Kansas - as well as motorcycle events at Daytona and an IndyCar race at Phoenix. The IndyCar race was a new event, signaling that the NASCAR events had a bigger drop than 8.3% in ticket sales."
"The average ticket price for a Sprint Cup ticket bought at its six races from March through May was $72.09, down 3% from a year ago."

Furthermore, from Forbes: "During NASCAR’s heyday in the mid-2000’s, coverage regularly drew Nielsen ratings in the mid-to-high 4-range. In 2005, for example, TNT coverage topped out at a 4.7, and that number has steadily declined in the decade since."

What year did the chase format start? 2004. The public gave NASCAR 2 years under the Chase format before they realized it wasn't for them and they started tuning out.

In 2014, NASCAR adjusted the chase format to put more importance on race wins rather than points earned. 2.5 seasons later, still no increase in attendance or viewership.

This is why I am worried if the chase format comes to SX.
TXDirt
7/25/2016 11:53am
I turned my DirecTV on and saw the same Nascar stuff. Started to get a little pissed.... then I thought to myself, what am I doing? I have another way to watch the races.... and it's a better way actually.

Get an Amazon Fire TV box for anywhere between $40-$99. Connect this device to your TV using HDMI cable. Connect it to the internet either wireless or with Ethernet cable.

Next, download the NBC Sports App to the Amazon box. You do have to verify that you have a cable tv subscription to login to the NBC Sports app. So use your DirecTV, Comcast, Verizon login etc.

Now you are watching all 4 motos live in HD. You can even watch practice in the morning!! This is especially helpful since DirecTV does not carry MAVTV in HD at all.

Cool, now you just watched all 4 motos in HD. Now what?

Now go cancel your DirecTV, Comcast, U-Verse account and signup for PlayStation VUE and save yourself quite a bit of money.

Good. Now you signed up for VUE. Go to your Amazon box and download the PlayStation VUE app and start watching LIVE TV at a much lower cost. Yes, you can still DVR your shows.

And yes, when the next race rolls around you can verify your account on the NBC Sports app using your Play Station View credentials.

Last but not least... go have a beer. Hug your wife and kids and promise never to give your money to DirecTV again.

Signed,

Former DirecTV customer and now full time cord-cutter.
FastGzus
7/25/2016 11:58am
Just turn right occasionally for god sakes Woohoo
7/25/2016 2:52pm
Ultimately the main reason for the downturn is gate prices, they need to reduce the podium drivers prize money to subsidise the the car park, gates and food/ drink vendors.
This would increase numbers and ultimatly increase overall profits.

A day out at the races, any form of races, is a massive investment for a family.

Its not like these drivers really need all that money.

Same goes for the motocross as well.
Old-Man
7/25/2016 3:56pm
MotoX85 wrote:
This is ridiculous, getting so sick of modern day television
Said the same about disco and Rap but Disco faded and... well....... Rap just grew.
And how about these rap songs that put down and disgrace white people but white rappers or singers in general can't do the same in their music?

Post a reply to: I am so sick of NAS-DORK

The Latest