Hypothetically... The white smoke could've been avoided.

Related:
Create New Tag

1/5/2019 9:12 PM

In the 250 lcq.

I question whoever made that decision.

Unless, it was something other than a clutch issue like they reiterated a couple times.

If it we're just a clutch issue, they should've just rebuilt the clutch. But nope, gotta put a whole new motor in which clearly left more room for error.

Thoughts?

|

1/5/2019 9:21 PM

How were they supposed to know the new motor was going to blow? They played it safe after burning up the 1st one and got unlucky.

|

1/5/2019 9:22 PM

Highly doubt the original problem was a clutch issue. Sure didn't look that way...

|

James

1/5/2019 9:24 PM

I was in the pits and walked by the team during this decision. All the professional mechanics were stressing out because none could get cell reception to call Meister from VitalMX msg board to get his professional consulting. They decided to do the idiotic thing and swap an engine rather than wisely replace a bunch of parts internally and hope nothing go wrong!

And what a horrible decision it was. Upon walking back by after the race the team manager was handing out loaded pistols to all team members.

I put some of this blame on you.

|

-'09 KX500AF

- '19 KX450F

1/5/2019 9:26 PM

My first thought was that a hose didn't get snugged up. Highly doubtful a fresh motor would blow in a couple laps.

I'm purely going off the fact that they kept saying clutch issue. However, what could've caused what we saw? A broken plate? Then again, if a piece of plate was missing, I suppose that could warrant a fresh motor..

Just creating conversation other than all the people bitching about Ricky in the booth. (Who seems to be doing a fine job btw).

|

1/5/2019 9:27 PM

I'm sure the engine builder will be getting a thumbs down

|

1/5/2019 10:57 PM

Poor Mitchell Harrison. Rode well enough to earn national number 35 last year. Still quite young. Ends up on shitty 2nd-tier team and his bike can't do more than 4 laps of racing all night. Good thing it did not grenade on a jump face.

|

Old MXer turned Superfan.

1/5/2019 10:59 PM

JBernard_401 wrote:

I was in the pits and walked by the team during this decision. All the professional mechanics were stressing out because none ...more

Check. Mate. Sir.

|

1/5/2019 11:03 PM

JBernard_401 wrote:

I was in the pits and walked by the team during this decision. All the professional mechanics were stressing out because none ...more

Why would cell reception be bad there?

|

1/5/2019 11:13 PM

Might have been the piston return spring...fuck! Who knows!?!?!

|

1/5/2019 11:20 PM

Are you sure they did an engine swap? i find it hard to beleive.

|

1/6/2019 12:42 AM

Meister wrote:

My first thought was that a hose didn't get snugged up. Highly doubtful a fresh motor would blow in a couple laps.

I'm ...more

So instead you bitch about them changing the whole motor when none of us know what the real problem was. Ralph and Ricky said the clutch but they were only guessing...

|

1/6/2019 2:12 AM

uk125250 wrote:

I enjoyed that reply

|

1/6/2019 5:15 AM

hamncheeze stated, "Ends up on shitty 2nd-tier team and his bike can't do more than 4 laps of racing all night."

I think it has much more to do with the ridiculously outdated "Double-Displacement" Rule being part of the problem. 250cc four-strokes are time bombs, expensive to modify, and complex to repair between races.
A 125cc two-stroke may not have broke, and dissolving "double-displacement" might actually fix what is wrong with motocross and supercross at the same time.

|

1/6/2019 7:19 AM

Pardon my questioning almighty vital God's. Wouldn't want there to be any discussion other than the same 5 subjects.

|

1/6/2019 7:32 AM

GangGreen wrote:

hamncheeze stated, "Ends up on shitty 2nd-tier team and his bike can't do more than 4 laps of racing all night."

I think it ...more

Newmann?

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

1/6/2019 7:34 AM

JBernard_401 wrote:

uk125250 wrote:

Because it was raining, duh.

|

1/6/2019 7:42 AM

ricky and ralph werent guessing i dont think. they said something in the broadcast about the team having on going issues with the clutch. not sure about the LCQ, but they said the bike started smoking on the line. not good.

|

1/6/2019 7:48 AM

Soggy, don't waste your time thinking logically. Doesn't work around here.

|

1/6/2019 7:54 AM

Blair talked to the Team manager and reported what he said during the broadcast. The Team said it was a clutch issue and that they were fighting it all day.

|

1/6/2019 8:02 AM

So heart breaking for Harrison. Just glad to see it seized in the corner...could of ended tragic.

|

1/6/2019 8:40 AM

JBernard_401 wrote:

Wait! JB is saying that they swapped an "engine"? Meister was talking about swapping "motors". Was it an electric bike or not? Are electric bikes now legal? And, are electric bikes now running clutches? This is confusing.

|

1/6/2019 8:46 AM

Mitchell Harrison easily deserves a better racing program. Maybe not Factory quite yet, but better. Its going to be a long season if the teams amateur mechanics don't figure out what they're doing.

|

1/6/2019 9:11 AM

JBernard_401 wrote:

uk125250 wrote:

It's a Feld issue, so you have to use their cell phone network. They literally control EVERYTHING at these events. Blame Feld...

|

1/6/2019 9:16 AM

ktm300hater wrote:

I'm sure the engine builder will be getting a thumbs down

That's fkng hilarious!

|

1/6/2019 9:56 AM

he ripped that heat start. hopefully he has a better rd 2. doubt it was a clutch that warranted an engine swap

|

If I'm healthy enough to complain. I shouldn't be complaining.

1/6/2019 10:07 AM

So much cynicism in one place. And people think the offseason is bad.

The Dumbgeon is calling...

|

1/6/2019 10:08 AM

did they actually do a motor swap or nah? i find it hard to beleive they did a motor swap! if they did do a motor swap, the engine builder is not having a good monday.

|

1/6/2019 12:58 PM

Pretty sad this made it to the dumbgeon. If it weren't for people being douche bags, this post contained legitimate questions.

|

1/14/2019 2:26 PM

Should be under warranty no?

|