Hypothetical MXGP question for US fans

Prejump
With all the recent posts ref the MXON, something that's come up a fair bit is the general decline of interest in motocross in the US. SX is now the priority for teams, riders, sponsors etc.

My question is, if say Tomac, or Dungey (came out of retirement) & announced they were going to campaign for a world MXGP title in 2018, went 1-1 at the opening 4 rounds & developed a commanding league in arguably the deeped 450 class available.

Would anyone care ?

Would a US rider bringing home a World MX title matter to anyone ?

Would it help put MX back on the map & make motocross more relevant again in US?

I just wonder if your elite staying national has made MX a bit stale.

Thoughts please
|
ATKpilot99
8/19/2017 12:00pm
Of course . MXGP interest was through the roof when RV raced and he wasn't dominating.
tcallahan707
8/19/2017 12:03pm
Of course we would care. Not only would we care simply because we are fans of the rider, but we would definitely care to see how they stack up against the world. And you can bet your ass you'd hear about if a US rider put the hammer to the best MXGP has to offer on their turf. What it wouldn't do is make MXGP more important than the Nationals.

I also don't know where this talk came from of the US not giving a shit about the Nationals or MXON.
8/19/2017 12:05pm
Prejump wrote:
With all the recent posts ref the MXON, something that's come up a fair bit is the general decline of interest in motocross in the US...
With all the recent posts ref the MXON, something that's come up a fair bit is the general decline of interest in motocross in the US. SX is now the priority for teams, riders, sponsors etc.

My question is, if say Tomac, or Dungey (came out of retirement) & announced they were going to campaign for a world MXGP title in 2018, went 1-1 at the opening 4 rounds & developed a commanding league in arguably the deeped 450 class available.

Would anyone care ?

Would a US rider bringing home a World MX title matter to anyone ?

Would it help put MX back on the map & make motocross more relevant again in US?

I just wonder if your elite staying national has made MX a bit stale.

Thoughts please
There isn't a decline in motocross interest. Supercross just steals some of the crowd. Most families would rather sit in a stadium in the cool night air than spend all day in the heat at a national. MXGP crowds are bigger because you don't have supercross. Believe me, if you give families a choice, they pick supercross every time. A rider going to MXGP wouldn't get more people to nationals. We still love the great outdoors however it's just easier on the family at supercross.
8/19/2017 12:16pm
Of course it would be massive news; within the moto community. No MXdN storyline would have enough relevance in current events reach and actually attract new people to the sport. Make no mistake - pride and enthusiasm for MXdN is still of huge importance here; but motor racing in general just doesn't have the same "draw" or general public admiration/appreciation here in the Stars that it does elsewhere around the globe (from what I can tell anyways)

The Shop

Motofinne
8/19/2017 2:12pm
The name is everything. USA have 2 riders in MX2 and that hasn't brought any attention from USA to the GPs.

Charbouneu and Weltin even less since they are "only" in EMX250(the toughest "amateur" class in the world).

Put Barcia on Everts factory Suzuki team and people from USA will pay more attention.

DonM
8/19/2017 2:19pm
Motofinne wrote:
The name is everything. USA have 2 riders in MX2 and that hasn't brought any attention from USA to the GPs. Charbouneu and Weltin even less...
The name is everything. USA have 2 riders in MX2 and that hasn't brought any attention from USA to the GPs.

Charbouneu and Weltin even less since they are "only" in EMX250(the toughest "amateur" class in the world).

Put Barcia on Everts factory Suzuki team and people from USA will pay more attention.

Hasn't brought any attention....come on...sounds like your opinion and not fact...This site and RacerX have both upped their game in covering the GP's and I would bet that their are more subscribers to MXGP-TV from the US than previous years...but hey whatever
Motofinne
8/19/2017 2:22pm
Motofinne wrote:
The name is everything. USA have 2 riders in MX2 and that hasn't brought any attention from USA to the GPs. Charbouneu and Weltin even less...

DonM wrote:
Hasn't brought any attention....come on...sounds like your opinion and not fact...This site and RacerX have both upped their game in covering the GP's and I would...
Hasn't brought any attention....come on...sounds like your opinion and not fact...This site and RacerX have both upped their game in covering the GP's and I would bet that their are more subscribers to MXGP-TV from the US than previous years...but hey whatever
Well i haven't noticed any major increase in interest from US fans, i might be wrong though?

DonM
8/19/2017 3:29pm
Motofinne wrote:

DonM wrote:
Hasn't brought any attention....come on...sounds like your opinion and not fact...This site and RacerX have both upped their game in covering the GP's and I would...
Motofinne wrote:
Well i haven't noticed any major increase in interest from US fans, i might be wrong though?

Don't base your opinion on what a few people on Vital say....because most of us don't base our opinion on GP's because of what MXGeoff and MCcread spew...I love watching the GP's and I watch it to see what the young Americans can do and I hope Bud Kawi and other teams continue to bring young Americans over it's great watching them develop
Motofinne
8/19/2017 3:32pm
DonM wrote:
Motofinne wrote:

DonM wrote:
Don't base your opinion on what a few people on Vital say....because most of us don't base our opinion on GP's because of what MXGeoff and...
Don't base your opinion on what a few people on Vital say....because most of us don't base our opinion on GP's because of what MXGeoff and MCcread spew...I love watching the GP's and I watch it to see what the young Americans can do and I hope Bud Kawi and other teams continue to bring young Americans over it's great watching them develop
I'm glad to hear that, i just feel like a guy like Covington is under the radar. He has been really good this year after a few rough races in the beginning!

Sanayei has also had a decent rookie season.
Mit12
8/19/2017 3:39pm
Motofinne wrote:
I'm glad to hear that, i just feel like a guy like Covington is under the radar. He has been really good this year after a...
I'm glad to hear that, i just feel like a guy like Covington is under the radar. He has been really good this year after a few rough races in the beginning!

Sanayei has also had a decent rookie season.
For me the 250gp series is not something that excites me at all. The age point out system makes the championship a joke. As for Covington, he is the only reason I even look at the 250 points.
500guy
8/19/2017 3:41pm
ATKpilot99 wrote:
Of course . MXGP interest was through the roof when RV raced and he wasn't dominating.
Yes but it was only through the roof on Current fans it was just a shift it didn't mean anything in the grand scheme of growing the overall fan base.
early
Fantasy
2231st
8/19/2017 4:48pm
Interest spiked big time when RV went there. Damn shame how it ended up. Interest is still higher than it was before with higher competition in the 450s. If Covington was in the championship hunt he might get more attention.
500guy
8/19/2017 4:51pm
early wrote:
Interest spiked big time when RV went there. Damn shame how it ended up. Interest is still higher than it was before with higher competition in...
Interest spiked big time when RV went there. Damn shame how it ended up. Interest is still higher than it was before with higher competition in the 450s. If Covington was in the championship hunt he might get more attention.
Covington would have to win at Supercross for many years to spark interest like RV did.

Supercross is the biggest fan base
8/19/2017 5:31pm
I'm really glad RV went there as that's why I started watching it, I haven't stopped since. Bought the package each year now. When my wife is watching housewives I watch the races.

Post a reply to: Hypothetical MXGP question for US fans

The Latest