Hymas, Ryder D, Deegan

str8line
When are these guys making their pro debut? I thought I saw that Deegan was doing Red Bud. I got to wondering because I was thinking about guys who won their first pro race. Tomac and Barcia were the last guys weren't they? Hymas looks like he just might have the speed to be the next guy to do it, would be incredible against this field.
|
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
5/17/2022 8:25am
I thought I heard Hymas might do a few nationals this year but not 100% sure
Skerby
5/17/2022 8:28am
Barcia went 9-3 at his first outdoor national, 2009 glen helen. He just led most of the 1st and 2nd moto. Tomac was the real deal but fell apart after the 4th moto of the season.

Super unlikely to ever happen again.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
5/17/2022 9:03am
soggy wrote:
I thought I heard Hymas might do a few nationals this year but not 100% sure
He'll do the last four after LL's.
ML512
Fantasy
54th
5/17/2022 9:08am
str8line wrote:
When are these guys making their pro debut? I thought I saw that Deegan was doing Red Bud. I got to wondering because I was thinking...
When are these guys making their pro debut? I thought I saw that Deegan was doing Red Bud. I got to wondering because I was thinking about guys who won their first pro race. Tomac and Barcia were the last guys weren't they? Hymas looks like he just might have the speed to be the next guy to do it, would be incredible against this field.
Eli Tomac is the only one who won an outdoor national on his pro debut.

James Stewart was close but got second on his pro debut, but that was in Supercross.

The Shop

scootch
5/17/2022 9:37am
It’s too damn bad these kids can’t make their pro debut in a 125 feeder class. It clearly works for MXGP
DC
5/17/2022 9:47am
Skerby wrote:
Barcia went 9-3 at his first outdoor national, 2009 glen helen. He just led most of the 1st and 2nd moto. Tomac was the real deal...
Barcia went 9-3 at his first outdoor national, 2009 glen helen. He just led most of the 1st and 2nd moto. Tomac was the real deal but fell apart after the 4th moto of the season.

He melted down in the Texas heat in the second moto at Freestone (second round) and wasn't the same for the rest of that summer...

DC
Racer X

DC
5/17/2022 9:49am
str8line wrote:
When are these guys making their pro debut? I thought I saw that Deegan was doing Red Bud. I got to wondering because I was thinking...
ML512 wrote:
Eli Tomac is the only one who won an outdoor national on his pro debut. James Stewart was close but got second on his pro debut...

James Stewart was close but got second on his pro debut, but that was in Supercross.
Marty Smith, Hangtown 1974, but then again it was the first-ever 125 National!

Brad Lackey also won his first outdoor national, 1972 Cal Expo 500 National.

Carry on.

DC
Racer X
ML512
Fantasy
54th
5/17/2022 9:54am
str8line wrote:
ML512 wrote:
Eli Tomac is the only one who won an outdoor national on his pro debut. James Stewart was close but got second on his pro debut...

DC wrote:
Marty Smith, Hangtown 1974, but then again it was the first-ever 125 National! Brad Lackey also won his first outdoor national, 1972 Cal Expo 500 National...
Marty Smith, Hangtown 1974, but then again it was the first-ever 125 National!

Brad Lackey also won his first outdoor national, 1972 Cal Expo 500 National.

Carry on.

DC
Racer X
Was Lackey’s pro debut on the 500? I didn’t know how to classify Marty’s since it was the first ever but I didn’t have a clue in Lackey’s result.
gt80rider
5/17/2022 9:55am
Seems hard to tell about deegan... wasn't the original plan to run b in 22 and a in 23 with pro in 24 when he's 18? His lap times seem solid indoors and out, but hope he doesn't move up until he is truly ready...
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
5/17/2022 10:38am
Back to the OP question, I heard Ryder D say in a Swap Moto interview that the plan is to do the last few nationals after LLs, assuming he's healthy and does well at LL. They don't seem to be in any hurry to move him up.

You have to also look at who's moved up lately and done really well? I bet the way things have gone for high-profile riders like Jett Reynolds, Levi Kitchen and Max Vohland has given a few teams reason to hit the brakes a bit on moving up.
GG121
5/17/2022 11:10am
gt80rider wrote:
Seems hard to tell about deegan... wasn't the original plan to run b in 22 and a in 23 with pro in 24 when he's 18...
Seems hard to tell about deegan... wasn't the original plan to run b in 22 and a in 23 with pro in 24 when he's 18? His lap times seem solid indoors and out, but hope he doesn't move up until he is truly ready...
They will def move him up too soon. He seems really good at supercross, I wonder if he could go pro at Anaheim next year
TriRacer27
Fantasy
44th
5/17/2022 12:40pm
gt80rider wrote:
Seems hard to tell about deegan... wasn't the original plan to run b in 22 and a in 23 with pro in 24 when he's 18...
GG121 wrote:
They will def move him up too soon. He seems really good at supercross, I wonder if he could go pro at Anaheim next year
Part of that equation is that Star lost all of their championship contenders after this year. So far they only have Kitchen and Thrasher.
dboivin
5/17/2022 1:02pm
Skerby wrote:
Barcia went 9-3 at his first outdoor national, 2009 glen helen. He just led most of the 1st and 2nd moto. Tomac was the real deal...

DC wrote:
He melted down in the Texas heat in the second moto at Freestone (second round) and wasn't the same for the rest of that summer... DC...
He melted down in the Texas heat in the second moto at Freestone (second round) and wasn't the same for the rest of that summer...

DC
Racer X

yeah the heat was bad that year. remembrer him getting heat exhaustion and did not recover well.
Stuntman949
5/17/2022 1:48pm
gt80rider wrote:
GG121 wrote:
We'll get there when its time
5/17/2022 3:24pm
scootch wrote:
It’s too damn bad these kids can’t make their pro debut in a 125 feeder class. It clearly works for MXGP
You know DC saw this, lol.

DonM
5/17/2022 3:25pm
Deegan is a year behind Ryder and Hymas....always has been
SEEMEFIRST
5/17/2022 5:34pm
Skerby wrote:

DC wrote:
He melted down in the Texas heat in the second moto at Freestone (second round) and wasn't the same for the rest of that summer... DC...

DC
Racer X

dboivin wrote:
yeah the heat was bad that year. remembrer him getting heat exhaustion and did not recover well.
That was brutal.
My truck thought it was 140 degrees when we were leaving.
I know it wasn't right, but it summed up the day.
5/17/2022 7:09pm
gt80rider wrote:
I believe he will do b class this year and a next as you said, but he will race some nationals after(or maybe even before) LL.
nrosso391
Fantasy
2829th
5/20/2022 5:48am
Hymas is by FAR the fastest of these names right now. DeSanFransisco needs some more speed and Deegan needs to grow a little, get smarter on the bike, less mistakes, and blitz the whoops.
Zoom
5/20/2022 6:34am
I think Hymas has the most upside too. Along with his pro speed he already has that pro smoothness. If I had to compare him to a successful pro, it would be Dungey.
5/20/2022 8:30am
gt80rider wrote:
Can someone explain these classes? Why is a super hyped factory rider racing B class instead of A? Genuine question.
Dirt.Squirt
5/20/2022 8:42am
gt80rider wrote:
Can someone explain these classes? Why is a super hyped factory rider racing B class instead of A? Genuine question.
Nobody knows.
Racerman967
5/20/2022 9:42am
gt80rider wrote:
Because he has a lot of promise and you want to lock him up. this isn't that uncommon, most just don't have a youtube page with 1.2 million subscribers
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
5/20/2022 10:27am Edited Date/Time 5/20/2022 10:32am
There is a progression in amateur racing. Most kids start on a 50cc motorcycle, then progress to a 65, then a 85, and then a supermini. From supermini kids have 3 choices: (1) race schoolboy/125, (2) skip schoolboy and advance to B class, or (3) skip schoolboy and B class and advance to A class. Deegan was racing a supermini last year, and he elected to skip schoolboy and instead advance himself to B class. RC and Stewart are the only riders I can think of that went from mini bikes straight to A class.

I will also add if Deegan progresses quickly on the 250f and appears to be a transcendent talent, he can skip the A class next year and go straight to pro. That is what happened with Dungey and Tomac.
str8line
5/20/2022 10:36am
Zoom wrote:
I think Hymas has the most upside too. Along with his pro speed he already has that pro smoothness. If I had to compare him to...
I think Hymas has the most upside too. Along with his pro speed he already has that pro smoothness. If I had to compare him to a successful pro, it would be Dungey.
He looked about as smooth and as fast as the top pro's to my eyes. Anyone remember how his lap times compared?
lestat
5/20/2022 11:52am
GrapeApe wrote:
There is a progression in amateur racing. Most kids start on a 50cc motorcycle, then progress to a 65, then a 85, and then a supermini...
There is a progression in amateur racing. Most kids start on a 50cc motorcycle, then progress to a 65, then a 85, and then a supermini. From supermini kids have 3 choices: (1) race schoolboy/125, (2) skip schoolboy and advance to B class, or (3) skip schoolboy and B class and advance to A class. Deegan was racing a supermini last year, and he elected to skip schoolboy and instead advance himself to B class. RC and Stewart are the only riders I can think of that went from mini bikes straight to A class.

I will also add if Deegan progresses quickly on the 250f and appears to be a transcendent talent, he can skip the A class next year and go straight to pro. That is what happened with Dungey and Tomac.
Isn’t Viney racing A this year after supermini last year ?
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
5/20/2022 12:35pm Edited Date/Time 5/20/2022 2:03pm
GrapeApe wrote:
There is a progression in amateur racing. Most kids start on a 50cc motorcycle, then progress to a 65, then a 85, and then a supermini...

lestat wrote:
Yeah.

Edit: Racing the 1st round of the Pro Nationals next weekend. #943 Honda.
DonM
5/20/2022 1:59pm
gt80rider wrote:
Because he just moved up to 250's and the other two have been on 250's for a year longer than him...but you would have know that if you would have read through this thread....
GrapeApe
Fantasy
551st
5/20/2022 2:27pm
GrapeApe wrote:

lestat wrote:
Don't know, never heard of him.
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
5/20/2022 2:41pm
GrapeApe wrote:

lestat wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
Don't know, never heard of him.
He beat Deegan straight up in a supermini moto last summer at Loretta's.

Canadian now living in Murrieta. He trains with Ryno.

Post a reply to: Hymas, Ryder D, Deegan

The Latest