Hydrophobic spray and Motocross

8/13/2017 11:23am Edited Date/Time 8/14/2017 10:52am
I noticed that some riders were able to keep their front number plates really clean compared to others this weekend. Here is a screen shot from the start of 250 Moto 2 but I seem to remember Dean Wilson also having a clean front plate. I was wondering if anyone knew if guys were using some sort of hydrophobic spray, and if so, what are the chances of using that stuff on goggles? Reckon it would be the next development in goggle technology?

|
8/13/2017 11:23am

For those who have never heard of hydrophobic spray.
MotoMo165
8/13/2017 1:34pm
Need heard of this stuff before, but noticed the riders front plates. Figured they were using some thing like this. Why not put this shit underneath your fenders too? Haha. Cool video
JustMX
8/13/2017 2:49pm
Pam cooking spray, silicone, wd 40, they all keep gunk from sticking.

As far as Goggle lens treatment, I know a lot of guys that used rain-x on the old super hard jones goggles. Worked pretty good on them. If I remember right it didn't work so good on Scott and smith goggles. Never did try it on the lexan lens. About the time those lens became common stackable tear offs and roll offs came out.
JRT812
8/13/2017 3:21pm
Interesting stuff and it would be a game changer.

The Shop

Mr. Ted
Fantasy
1673rd
8/13/2017 3:39pm
JustMX wrote:
Pam cooking spray, silicone, wd 40, they all keep gunk from sticking. As far as Goggle lens treatment, I know a lot of guys that used...

As far as Goggle lens treatment, I know a lot of guys that used rain-x on the old super hard jones goggles. Worked pretty good on them. If I remember right it didn't work so good on Scott and smith goggles. Never did try it on the lexan lens. About the time those lens became common stackable tear offs and roll offs came out.
Rain-X is not suitable for plastic. It would be great if you could use it though...
Kanewel433
8/14/2017 8:48am
That's an astute observation, and as others mentioned, cooking spray, WD40, vaseline, etc, works well on the bike but isn't used often on goggle lenses. I actually looked into this as a business venture a little while ago. As you might know, tear offs are banned in most Australian areas due to farmers complaints about their livestock ingesting the used tear offs.

In the US, they obviously haven't banned them, but they may eventually.

I personally thought that having decomposable tear-offs would be an interesting concept. A company back in 2011 gave it a try, and made their OT's from a sugar composite, but they weren't completely transparent, and after 3-4 TO's stacked up, they became really hazy and limited the rider's vision. They went out of business around 2012 as best as I could tell. I have no education pertaining to materials science or engineering, so then I thought about sourcing an existing technology from another company, and licensing it as a motocross goggle application. There's a company founded by some MIT (Massachusetts institute of technology) students called LiquiGlide. They started out by making a clear film that goes on the inside of ketchup bottles, and have a huge licensing contract with Heinz. Basically, nothing sticks to it at all, and I thought that they might be open to a conversation about expanding beyond food containers, and into other markets. Despite multiple attempts to contact them, and applying for several jobs there, they have never responded to my outreach. I genuinely think that this would be a groundbreaking improvement to the sport, and rider safety, but don't seem to have enough clout for them to take notice.

Here's a link to their YouTube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxyCLoYfexo

tickleme20
8/14/2017 9:53am
Kanewel433 wrote:
That's an astute observation, and as others mentioned, cooking spray, WD40, vaseline, etc, works well on the bike but isn't used often on goggle lenses. I...
That's an astute observation, and as others mentioned, cooking spray, WD40, vaseline, etc, works well on the bike but isn't used often on goggle lenses. I actually looked into this as a business venture a little while ago. As you might know, tear offs are banned in most Australian areas due to farmers complaints about their livestock ingesting the used tear offs.

I personally thought that having decomposable tear-offs would be an interesting concept. A company back in 2011 gave it a try, and made their OT's from a sugar composite, but they weren't completely transparent, and after 3-4 TO's stacked up, they became really hazy and limited the rider's vision. They went out of business around 2012 as best as I could tell. I have no education pertaining to materials science or engineering, so then I thought about sourcing an existing technology from another company, and licensing it as a motocross goggle application. There's a company founded by some MIT (Massachusetts institute of technology) students called LiquiGlide. They started out by making a clear film that goes on the inside of ketchup bottles, and have a huge licensing contract with Heinz. Basically, nothing sticks to it at all, and I thought that they might be open to a conversation about expanding beyond food containers, and into other markets. Despite multiple attempts to contact them, and applying for several jobs there, they have never responded to my outreach. I genuinely think that this would be a groundbreaking improvement to the sport, and rider safety, but don't seem to have enough clout for them to take notice.

Here's a link to their YouTube video - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yxyCLoYfexo

This is completely fascinating. If this moisture-repellant compound you speak of works to keep goggles clear w/o tear-offs, that would be an incredible game changer. Keep reaching out, perhaps mention the idea to goggle manufacturers, too. I bet an up and coming company would jump to check it out. It could solve a big problem. In 2017, the best riders in the world shouldn't have to be throwing off their goggles in the middle of the race.
DTR830
Fantasy
1131st
8/14/2017 10:52am
I noticed that some riders were able to keep their front number plates really clean compared to others this weekend. Here is a screen shot from...
I noticed that some riders were able to keep their front number plates really clean compared to others this weekend. Here is a screen shot from the start of 250 Moto 2 but I seem to remember Dean Wilson also having a clean front plate. I was wondering if anyone knew if guys were using some sort of hydrophobic spray, and if so, what are the chances of using that stuff on goggles? Reckon it would be the next development in goggle technology?

There is many different types of hydrophobic applications. You can use a ceramic coating as you would on plastic trim for automobiles. I use a synthetic sealant on my wheels.
JustMX
8/14/2017 2:34pm
Kanewel433 wrote:
That's an astute observation, and as others mentioned, cooking spray, WD40, vaseline, etc, works well on the bike but isn't used often on goggle lenses. I...

tickleme20 wrote:
This is completely fascinating. If this moisture-repellant compound you speak of works to keep goggles clear w/o tear-offs, that would be an incredible game changer. Keep...
This is completely fascinating. If this moisture-repellant compound you speak of works to keep goggles clear w/o tear-offs, that would be an incredible game changer. Keep reaching out, perhaps mention the idea to goggle manufacturers, too. I bet an up and coming company would jump to check it out. It could solve a big problem. In 2017, the best riders in the world shouldn't have to be throwing off their goggles in the middle of the race.
Don't know if goggle companies would be that interested.

Don't they make a good bit of coin off tear offs and scratched lenses?

Would probably have to be a separate entity selling the coating.
305FC250
8/14/2017 6:35pm
JustMX wrote:
Pam cooking spray, silicone, wd 40, they all keep gunk from sticking. As far as Goggle lens treatment, I know a lot of guys that used...

I've tried all those things and my bike is still caked in dirt when I come off the track and no easier to clean than if I go without it.

Post a reply to: Hydrophobic spray and Motocross

The Latest