Husqy Airbox

Related:
Create New Tag

9/22/2017 4:01 PM

I know KTM has the vent come in from the side of the airbox, but I hear that the Husqy airbox is essentially sealed. How does the bike get enough airflow to be almost the same exact power as the KTM? Not talking about where holes are drilled into the airbox aftermarket, how does the stock box flow and why did they go this route?

|

9/22/2017 4:05 PM

If you listen to the Keefer Tested podcast about his shootouts he's doing this week almost all the riders (at least on the first day podcast, haven't got to the second day yet) said the Husky has noticeably less bottom end than the KTM. So the power isn't really the same.

|

9/22/2017 4:26 PM

The KTM has an opening on the number plate side that allows more air in, the Husky is one piece number plate.

Drilling holes would help, getting the two stroke cage helps and if you have Tokyo mods remap your stock ignition you won't have a problem with bottom end.

|

9/22/2017 5:04 PM
Edited Date/Time: 9/22/2017 5:13 PM

You can pull the side cover and drill as many holes as you'd like in the airbox without jacking up the looks of the bike. Toolless side cover removal is a bonus!

|

9/22/2017 7:39 PM

And you can still holes into the rt side of the airbox too.. quicker throttle response is the gain.

|

9/22/2017 8:02 PM

Has anyone pics of the drilled Air box rather than the side plates?

Anyone notice the us factory husky 250 has drilled side panel, but the 450 does not?

|

9/22/2017 9:20 PM

Bruce372 wrote:

Has anyone pics of the drilled Air box rather than the side plates?

Anyone notice the us factory husky 250 has drilled side panel, but the 450 does not?

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

9/22/2017 9:21 PM

Im just asking where the air gets into the airbox from. Supposedly it is completely sealed. Do they just figure that itll get in there somehow lol? The honda, kawi, and suzuki have the triangle cut outs, the ktm has the slice on the number plate, the husky has....nothing?

|

9/22/2017 9:25 PM

Seems sketchy to drill holes in a plastic subrame that supports all the weight and force, no?

|

9/22/2017 9:37 PM

yamahamx wrote:

Seems sketchy to drill holes in a plastic subrame that supports all the weight and force, no?

Didn't drill into the actual subframe, I just drilled the battery tray/cover that just sits over subframe. This trey thing also clips the side panels on and also isn't used to support weight other than a battery if used.

|

9/22/2017 9:48 PM

drt410 wrote:

Im just asking where the air gets into the airbox from. Supposedly it is completely sealed. Do they just figure that itll get in there somehow lol? The honda, kawi, and suzuki have the triangle cut outs, the ktm has the slice on the number plate, the husky has....nothing?

It's not literally sealed

|

9/22/2017 10:14 PM

Going to try and post this. Yes....you can still both sides and there is a ton of improvement. Why Husky seals that airbox so tight , I have no idea. My 125 breathes very well now.

Photo

Photo

Photo

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

9/22/2017 10:17 PM

Btw....I'm actually amazed how clean my filter stays , even on real dry , dusty days.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

9/23/2017 6:48 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

Going to try and post this. Yes....you can still both sides and there is a ton of improvement. Why Husky seals that airbox so tight , I have no idea. My 125 breathes very well now.

Photo

Photo

Photo

Is it worth drilling those holes?

Just got myself a TC125 -16 and maybe i should do some holes too

|

9/23/2017 10:32 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

Photo

Photo

Photo

bmklegenden wrote:

Well...the guy who tore down my bike and did all the work was a mechanic for the TLD team for about 3 years. He got all the info from the motor guys there. They mainly deal with 4 strokes but have played around quite a bit with the 2 strokes as well. I definitely know she's breathing well now , and like I was saying...even with all those holes the filter stays pretty dang clean.

|

9/23/2017 10:48 AM

I use window screen glued on the inside to keep big dirt chunks out.
Photo
Photo

|

9/23/2017 11:00 AM

jeffro503 wrote:

Photo

Photo

Photo

bmklegenden wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:

Well...the guy who tore down my bike and did all the work was a mechanic for the TLD team for about 3 years. He got all the info from the motor guys there. They mainly deal with 4 strokes but have played around quite a bit with the 2 strokes as well. I definitely know she's breathing well now , and like I was saying...even with all those holes the filter stays pretty dang clean.

Yikes, as many of those subframes as I watched A-Ray break...those holes scare me a bit...

But I know who did the work you're talking about and he would have the correct info. I'm just curious how often the Husky team is replacing these subframes for their race bikes...

|

9/23/2017 11:10 AM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Photo
Photo

That's trick as fuck. Badass

|

Alright Lunger, Let's Do It

9/23/2017 11:27 AM

ML512 wrote:

Yikes, as many of those subframes as I watched A-Ray break...those holes scare me a bit...

But I know who did the work you're talking about and he would have the correct info. I'm just curious how often the Husky team is replacing these subframes for their race bikes...

I was wondering that too when I first looked at it , but I guess there is no real structural integrity in that outer plastic piece. The holes aren't really drilled in the subframe itself , they are just on that plastic piece. So far she's holding up good.

|

9/23/2017 12:34 PM

jeffro503 wrote:

ML512 wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:

I was wondering that too when I first looked at it , but I guess there is no real structural integrity in that outer plastic piece. The holes aren't really drilled in the subframe itself , they are just on that plastic piece. So far she's holding up good.

Oh wow Jeffro, that thing is sick!!! I'll bet she rips

|

9/23/2017 1:22 PM

ML512 wrote:

jeffro503 wrote:

ob wrote:

Oh wow Jeffro, that thing is sick!!! I'll bet she rips

Yeah she rips pretty dang good for a 125. If I end up keeping it , I'll wait until I throw a top end in it and I'll end up getting some motor work done. Thought I might sell it to help fund a new 350 , but I may just keep it and get the 350 anyways.

|

9/23/2017 1:27 PM

CarlinoJoeVideo wrote:

Photo
Photo

Really cool idea joe, I was thinking of doing something similar with foam but this looks cool.

Since a panel is easily replaced, I am staying this route vs drilling the actual bike.

Also, don't forget you only need a few holes before it won't make a difference. You can still as many holes as you want but the carb or throttle body controls how much air goes through the engine and it's not like many of the bikes see wide open for that long.

|