Husqvarna FE 501/S

JAFO92
Edited Date/Time 3/24/2022 5:59am
Anyone have any experience with this bike? They are very spendy, but the videos Ive seen on past models are very positive and not sure how much they have changed for '22.

|
Broseph
3/15/2022 10:44am
JAFO92 wrote:
Anyone have any experience with this bike? They are very spendy, but the videos Ive seen on past models are very positive and not sure how...
Anyone have any experience with this bike? They are very spendy, but the videos Ive seen on past models are very positive and not sure how much they have changed for '22.

Remove all the street stuff, uncork the intake and exhaust, Vortex ECU, replace the fork internals, revalve the suspension, and you have one of the best offroad bikes ever made.

Or keep it as-is and enjoy a light, torquey 40hp dual-sport.

Great bikes either way.
JAFO92
3/15/2022 11:13am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2022 12:06pm
Broseph wrote:
Remove all the street stuff, uncork the intake and exhaust, Vortex ECU, replace the fork internals, revalve the suspension, and you have one of the best...
Remove all the street stuff, uncork the intake and exhaust, Vortex ECU, replace the fork internals, revalve the suspension, and you have one of the best offroad bikes ever made.

Or keep it as-is and enjoy a light, torquey 40hp dual-sport.

Great bikes either way.
Thank you for the input.

I had shoulder surgery a year ago tomorrow and for that reason my MX days are over. But seeing Alphs thread about a D/S just got me jonesing for something again. As I alluded to in Alphs thread, I owned a DRZ400S about a decade ago but IMHO that thing is too heavy and needs a 6th gear. That Husky sure looks intriguing for something to ride in my rural area to check cows and look after hay pasture with. Being legal on the roads in between and could hit trails on the weekend with friends at the National Forest.
LungButter
3/15/2022 11:17am
How do the prices compare between the Husky and Beta?

The Shop

fullfloater
Fantasy
10th
3/15/2022 11:22am Edited Date/Time 3/15/2022 11:22am
Beta looks trick. It's a good pic angle because it almost hides the mirrors but still -- makes the Husky look like a DRZ. Even the cows would be impressed.
Ob917
3/15/2022 11:29am
That reed block they put in the 501 air boot is ridiculous , pulling it out makes the biggest difference
3/15/2022 11:46am
Beta looks trick. It's a good pic angle because it almost hides the mirrors but still -- makes the Husky look like a DRZ. Even the...
Beta looks trick. It's a good pic angle because it almost hides the mirrors but still -- makes the Husky look like a DRZ. Even the cows would be impressed.
There is no doubt the Betas are much sexier bikes, especially the street legal models. With the said, the OP lives in Texas and I think he might be able to get a regular FE 501 plated and just put a tiny blinker kit on it? If yes, that would be a better option than the S model.

I'm in CA and it was a no brainer to buy a Beta. No uncorking required like the KTM/Husky and I used the extra money to buy goodies for the bike.

JAFO92
3/15/2022 12:11pm
Ob917 wrote:
That reed block they put in the 501 air boot is ridiculous , pulling it out makes the biggest difference
Could you elaborate on that please? Ive read something about a fussy air sensor on the newer 501s that wasnt on the <=2019, do you know anything on that point?

jbrownmxr
3/15/2022 12:13pm
I’ve a 2016 501S. I love the bike. When I got it Husqvarna didn’t offer a 450. If I was getting new I’d op for that over the 501. Having said that it’s an awesome bike. You’ll love it. I agree with above. Uncork it, respiring it, pull all the BS off.

JAFO92
3/15/2022 12:15pm

Black Diesel Bomber wrote: I think he might be able to get a regular FE 501 plated and just put a tiny blinker kit on it? If yes, that would be a better option than the S model.

You kinda lost me on this part, can you explain again?

That Beta is frickin' gorgeous !
JAFO92
3/15/2022 12:17pm
jbrownmxr wrote:
I’ve a 2016 501S. I love the bike. When I got it Husqvarna didn’t offer a 450. If I was getting new I’d op for that...
I’ve a 2016 501S. I love the bike. When I got it Husqvarna didn’t offer a 450. If I was getting new I’d op for that over the 501. Having said that it’s an awesome bike. You’ll love it. I agree with above. Uncork it, respiring it, pull all the BS off.

Why would you chose the 450 ? Weight ?
G-man
3/15/2022 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2022 12:26pm
That is the bike our friends bought for our GREAT friend Don who died of cancer. Sad
I never rode it but a couple of them did and they said it was SLOW compared to their 500 KTM EXC's.
I'm sure with time and $$ it can be uncorked.

https://www.vitalmx.com/forums/Moto-Related,20/Motorcycle-Friends-are-t…

And once you join the DUAL SPORT revolution you will wonder what took you so long! Smile

G-man
3/15/2022 12:56pm
Oh and because Husky changes a few things to differentiate them from. KTM (carbon fiber subframe) they also changed the FLAWLESS clutch design of the orange bike by changing the slave cylinder down by the engine.

They had a recall, but twice it had issues and the clutch was gone.
Broseph
3/15/2022 1:30pm
G-man wrote:
Oh and because Husky changes a few things to differentiate them from. KTM (carbon fiber subframe) they also changed the FLAWLESS clutch design of the orange...
Oh and because Husky changes a few things to differentiate them from. KTM (carbon fiber subframe) they also changed the FLAWLESS clutch design of the orange bike by changing the slave cylinder down by the engine.

They had a recall, but twice it had issues and the clutch was gone.
They’re on Braktec components now. Shouldn’t be a problem.
3/15/2022 2:46pm
JAFO92 wrote:
Black Diesel Bomber wrote: I think he might be able to get a regular FE 501 plated and just put a tiny blinker kit on it...

Black Diesel Bomber wrote: I think he might be able to get a regular FE 501 plated and just put a tiny blinker kit on it? If yes, that would be a better option than the S model.

Well, I live in California which is the absolute worst state for emissions. It's very risky to get away with plating a bike that's illegal for highway use here. I've seen it done, and also seen guys get AZ plates, but I wanted to be completely "legal" so I don't get messed with while riding down by the beach in the summer traffic.

If Texas is anything like Arizona, you can probably get just about any bike plated, including two strokes if you want. With that said, I would find out if you can plate an FE 501 in Texas and just throw a blinker kit on it. The blinker kit with one removable mirror in your backpack and you will be truly "legal" in TX. This would be much better than buying the S model that's completely choked up from the factory. The S models have all the emissions garbage on them. My friends street legal KTM 350 sounds and feels like an XL 100 in it's bone stock form compared to my Beta.

Beta has not had to deal with the strict regulations that bigger companies are faced with, so the the Betas arrive much more of a "race ready" bike than the choked up KTM/Huskys. Not sure how long this will last before they crack down on them, but all you need to do on the Beta is the get race map installed and you are good to go. No screwing around with all the other garbage.

My friend just bought a new 6 Days KTM and he's going through the motions to uncork it. It currently runs like shit so I'm not sure what's wrong. On the other hand, my brother went through the trouble to uncork his KTM 500 and his bike is an absolute fire breather, but it was not easy or cheap to get there.

In your case I would start with the FE 501 and plate that. If you can't do that then look at Beta if you want performance off the showroom floor with least amount of hassle. Or, last resort would be to buy the S model and spend the time and money to uncork it.
Broseph
3/15/2022 2:53pm
JAFO92 wrote:
Black Diesel Bomber wrote: I think he might be able to get a regular FE 501 plated and just put a tiny blinker kit on it...

Well, I live in California which is the absolute worst state for emissions. It's very risky to get away with plating a bike that's illegal for...
Well, I live in California which is the absolute worst state for emissions. It's very risky to get away with plating a bike that's illegal for highway use here. I've seen it done, and also seen guys get AZ plates, but I wanted to be completely "legal" so I don't get messed with while riding down by the beach in the summer traffic.

If Texas is anything like Arizona, you can probably get just about any bike plated, including two strokes if you want. With that said, I would find out if you can plate an FE 501 in Texas and just throw a blinker kit on it. The blinker kit with one removable mirror in your backpack and you will be truly "legal" in TX. This would be much better than buying the S model that's completely choked up from the factory. The S models have all the emissions garbage on them. My friends street legal KTM 350 sounds and feels like an XL 100 in it's bone stock form compared to my Beta.

Beta has not had to deal with the strict regulations that bigger companies are faced with, so the the Betas arrive much more of a "race ready" bike than the choked up KTM/Huskys. Not sure how long this will last before they crack down on them, but all you need to do on the Beta is the get race map installed and you are good to go. No screwing around with all the other garbage.

My friend just bought a new 6 Days KTM and he's going through the motions to uncork it. It currently runs like shit so I'm not sure what's wrong. On the other hand, my brother went through the trouble to uncork his KTM 500 and his bike is an absolute fire breather, but it was not easy or cheap to get there.

In your case I would start with the FE 501 and plate that. If you can't do that then look at Beta if you want performance off the showroom floor with least amount of hassle. Or, last resort would be to buy the S model and spend the time and money to uncork it.
Seems like a good plan, but the non-s model is just as choked up. Same reeds in the intake and everything. Really the only difference is dirt tires and no turn signals or mirrors.
3/15/2022 2:57pm
JAFO92 wrote:

Well, I live in California which is the absolute worst state for emissions. It's very risky to get away with plating a bike that's illegal for...

Broseph wrote:
Seems like a good plan, but the non-s model is just as choked up. Same reeds in the intake and everything. Really the only difference is...
Seems like a good plan, but the non-s model is just as choked up. Same reeds in the intake and everything. Really the only difference is dirt tires and no turn signals or mirrors.
Really? I thought it was only the S model that had the emissions crap on it, oh well my bad.

OP, take a look at the Betas and you just might like them. They also have the option of a 350, 390, and 430 which all have different character.
gt80rider
3/15/2022 2:59pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2022 3:00pm
Stock the ktm and husky are gutted thanks to gov regs.... very little power... same can be said about the 450l... both bikes come with roughly the same power of an old school drz.. and the 450l runs like complete crap through the low end and loves to die at the worst possible time.... . the beta though, isn't handcuffed like the others... if u really want power and a ktm... jump to the 690 or 701... both of those are 70 plus hp
JAFO92
3/15/2022 4:40pm
Awesome info you guys, thanks for taking time to help me on this.
3/15/2022 5:41pm
I bought a 501s last year and I'm definitely a fan of the bike. There's lots of chatter on Thumpertalk about mods for these things, but probably some of the best overall info/discussion is on Dirt Bike's website. They've done pretty decent tests and shootouts on the DP ranges, and are now also into various build-out projects. Pretty well everything for the KTM works on the Husky and visa versa. I'm also a fan of Mike at Tacomoto in Vegas - check out his site and in particular his videos - straight info and lots of details.

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/ktm-500exc-dual-sport-project-by-tacomoto-…

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/off-road-testing-ktm-500-dual-sport-mods-k…

https://dirtbikemagazine.com/fmf-husky-501-dual-sport-the-wrap/

My bike has most of the common mods and will get the ECU/Air boot/slip-on treatment in the next few weeks. I understand the best results come from doing all three at once, so that's what I will try.

Around here, there's this:

https://www.vitalmx.com/videos/features/Dual-Sport-to-Motocross-2022-Hu…

And here's my scoot as it sits today:

Yup, nothing like spending a bunch of crazy money on a motorcycle only to spend a bunch more crazy money on that motorcycle after we get it home...

LoudLove
3/15/2022 5:51pm
Buy a used DR650, curse its anemic power and complete lack of rebound damping, and rejoice at the spare $10K in your pocket. A year or two later, sell it for what you paid, THEN dump big bucks into a Euro-Pimpin’ ride.
KTM831
3/15/2022 6:09pm
Subscribed. I am in the same boat here. Had a couple DRZ400SM’s and although it’s cool to have a simple bulletproof carbed bike I am in the market for a modern version that has more power and EFI. Attracted to the KTM & Husky because I have a 450SXF-FE and it’s been solid. However the Beta is interesting.
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
3/15/2022 6:23pm
I bought a 501s last year and I'm definitely a fan of the bike. There's lots of chatter on Thumpertalk about mods for these things, but...
I bought a 501s last year and I'm definitely a fan of the bike. There's lots of chatter on Thumpertalk about mods for these things, but probably some of the best overall info/discussion is on Dirt Bike's website. They've done pretty decent tests and shootouts on the DP ranges, and are now also into various build-out projects. Pretty well everything for the KTM works on the Husky and visa versa. I'm also a fan of Mike at Tacomoto in Vegas - check out his site and in particular his videos - straight info and lots of details.

My bike has most of the common mods and will get the ECU/Air boot/slip-on treatment in the next few weeks. I understand the best results come from doing all three at once, so that's what I will try.

Yup, nothing like spending a bunch of crazy money on a motorcycle only to spend a bunch more crazy money on that motorcycle after we get it home...

Do the 501 and 501S have all the same EPA/DOT/Smog crap on them? Stock, are they the same exact power output? I noticed the S weighs like 8 pounds more. Is that all just turn signals and speedo?

I ask because in AZ it is easy to street legal any dirt bike. I was hoping to avoid all the DOT/EPA/SMOG crap by getting the 501 instead of the 501S.
Broseph
3/15/2022 7:24pm Edited Date/Time 3/15/2022 7:28pm
I bought a 501s last year and I'm definitely a fan of the bike. There's lots of chatter on Thumpertalk about mods for these things, but...

FGR01 wrote:
Do the 501 and 501S have all the same EPA/DOT/Smog crap on them? Stock, are they the same exact power output? I noticed the S weighs...
Do the 501 and 501S have all the same EPA/DOT/Smog crap on them? Stock, are they the same exact power output? I noticed the S weighs like 8 pounds more. Is that all just turn signals and speedo?

I ask because in AZ it is easy to street legal any dirt bike. I was hoping to avoid all the DOT/EPA/SMOG crap by getting the 501 instead of the 501S.
Basically, yes.

Still worth it in my opinion. That offroad motor is sweeet once it’s uncorked. Lugs like an XR down low and is right there with the 450SXF on top.
dcg141
3/16/2022 8:20am
Finding a 500 of any brand right now is going to be hard.
3/16/2022 8:30am
dcg141 wrote:
Finding a 500 of any brand right now is going to be hard.
Do you have any beta 500s in stock or on the way? You sell all these brands correct?

So the KTM 500 EXC-F and the KTM 500 XCF-W are the exact same bikes except for the blinkers, tires, and lights?

And same with the Husky 501 and 501 S?

I thought the street versions were more choked up but it sounds like they are the same with the only difference being blinkers, lights, and tires. If yes, even more reason to get a Beta.
dcg141
3/16/2022 8:50am Edited Date/Time 3/16/2022 8:56am
Do you have any beta 500s in stock or on the way? You sell all these brands correct? So the KTM 500 EXC-F and the KTM...
Do you have any beta 500s in stock or on the way? You sell all these brands correct?

So the KTM 500 EXC-F and the KTM 500 XCF-W are the exact same bikes except for the blinkers, tires, and lights?

And same with the Husky 501 and 501 S?

I thought the street versions were more choked up but it sounds like they are the same with the only difference being blinkers, lights, and tires. If yes, even more reason to get a Beta.
I have 2 more coming but I have a list of names. I do have a 350 Race on the floor. I’m sold out of KTM and Husky 500’s. EXC and XCF-W are more or less the same. The biggest difference is you get the MAP switch with the W. Its green sticker emissions legal and the EXC is EPA emissions legal. So the MAPs are different.

Post a reply to: Husqvarna FE 501/S

The Latest