Husky Tx 300i vs Fx 350

Edited Date/Time 6/16/2022 6:18pm
Hey guys I’m looking at getting a new bike finally, having a hard debate between the ‘22 tx300i and fx350. I’m coming off a Rmz450 but have ridden two strokes all before my 450, so either or will be night and day difference just seeing what pros and cons people have on both bikes. Thanks!
|
swordfish
9/9/2021 9:13am
Hey guys I’m looking at getting a new bike finally, having a hard debate between the ‘22 tx300i and fx350. I’m coming off a Rmz450 but...
Hey guys I’m looking at getting a new bike finally, having a hard debate between the ‘22 tx300i and fx350. I’m coming off a Rmz450 but have ridden two strokes all before my 450, so either or will be night and day difference just seeing what pros and cons people have on both bikes. Thanks!
Really depends what you ride. I went from a 4 stroke to a TX because I was riding more technical stuff. If I rode more MX/GP or GNCC stuff I would have stayed on a thumper.
JoeWV
9/9/2021 11:33am Edited Date/Time 9/9/2021 11:34am
Couldn’t agree more with Swordfish. I’ve had both and both are great bikes, but the 300 shines more in the technical/tight terrain. I now have a 300 xcw for the trails/single track and a ex350f for racing gncc/enduros/gp’s. Yes, you could do it all with either, but having both is awesome.
Spooner
9/9/2021 12:13pm
Another TX300i owner and it flat out rules. Maybe in open desert type stuff the 350 would be better but for technical trails nothing touches the TX. I rode a buddies 350 back to back last year and it felt like it had a rag in the air box and it took way more effort to loft the front over a log or rock. The FI is just icing on the cake. I will say you will need to back out the power valve a bit to get it to not fall on its face in the high revs but otherwise it runs amazing.
asmith214x
Fantasy
3900th
9/9/2021 12:18pm
As a guy who owns a TX300 and a gasgas EX350F the verdict is….

You’re gonna have to get both they are the two greatest bikes ever made

The Shop

ama530
9/9/2021 1:34pm
I also came off an RMZ450 after racing mx for many years. Joined the right side of the force and went to the woods. I have a FX350 and a buddy of mine has a TX300. If you want to do tighter trails and hard enduro stuff stick with the TX. Open flowing trails, GNCC, or mx track days are better suited for the FX. I have issues with my bike flaming out once in a while in tight rocky stuff at very low rpm. The TX is more at home there. If you run more open terrain, the FX will be your best friend. If you're coming off the RMZ you might miss the engine breaking on the TX. Especially on downhill sections.
DYE
9/9/2021 6:49pm Edited Date/Time 9/9/2021 8:55pm
I have a 21 350 and a buddy has a 21 300. Very similar speeds, Vet B and Senior A. In a 2 hr hare scramble we finish within minutes apart. We switched bikes on a practice track one day. We both said it was the fastest we’d ridden all day. I never thought I’d be good enough to notice to better flick ability of the 2 strokes as much as I did, but I’d never ridden two modern purpose built bikes back to back like that. It was immediately noticeable the advantages in the tight stuff, I felt like I could ride it so fast and smooth. He talked about loving the instant power my 350 had. When I saw him at the next race we both said we couldn’t stop thinking about the others bike lol. I don’t think you can go wrong with either. I absolutely love my 350, and love that 3hunny. They both outshine each other in different spots but both great overall bikes. I’m hoping to have both in the stable by next year.
9/9/2021 7:12pm
Hey guys I’m looking at getting a new bike finally, having a hard debate between the ‘22 tx300i and fx350. I’m coming off a Rmz450 but...
Unless you are riding only technical trails, stay away from TPI.
Spooner
9/9/2021 7:34pm
Why?
9/9/2021 7:48pm
Spooner wrote:
Why?
TPI is nothing like your typical two stroke with a carb, they are amazing for tight and slow, but suffer for anything open or moto. I took a shot on a 2020 250xc as I wanted E-start and instantly regretted it as there was a huge hole in the mid causing you to have to shift like a 125. I had my ECU flashed, added and RK head and adjusted the PV. Still hated it and sold it at 40hrs. Ive had many two strokes though and was looking for you classic two stroke power delivery. Hard no for me.
dcg141
9/9/2021 8:18pm
TPI is nothing like your typical two stroke with a carb, they are amazing for tight and slow, but suffer for anything open or moto. I...
TPI is nothing like your typical two stroke with a carb, they are amazing for tight and slow, but suffer for anything open or moto. I took a shot on a 2020 250xc as I wanted E-start and instantly regretted it as there was a huge hole in the mid causing you to have to shift like a 125. I had my ECU flashed, added and RK head and adjusted the PV. Still hated it and sold it at 40hrs. Ive had many two strokes though and was looking for you classic two stroke power delivery. Hard no for me.
The thing is the 250 and 300 are so different, so very different. Ride them back to back.
austin_bo
Fantasy
228th
9/9/2021 8:36pm
My brother has a TX300i and I have a 350 XC-F, so I’ve ridden both quite a bit. My consensus aligns with what’s already been said: the TX shines in tight and technical trail because it’s torquey and near impossible to stall, while the 350 is perfect for GNCC type terrain. However, I have no problem navigating tight stuff with my 350 - it just requires a bit more clutch work. I think a 350 with an auto rekluse would give you the best of both worlds, but I’m privy to 4 strokes. You can’t lose either way.
swordfish
9/10/2021 4:03am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2021 4:05am
Spooner wrote:
Why?
TPI is nothing like your typical two stroke with a carb, they are amazing for tight and slow, but suffer for anything open or moto. I...
Lol that’s total BS. The bike has super smooth power and the mid to top flat out rips. Add a pipe and it’s even more potent. Not sure what was wrong with your bike but the newest OEM mapping is great. Not lean, plenty of oil. Set the PV to one turn in from flush and go. A 250TPi with a head and tune will smoke a stock 300.
9/10/2021 4:55am
Loving my tx300i moto conversion!
Vet expert level rider and its awesome!
Madmax31
Fantasy
83rd
9/10/2021 7:51am
rodspindel wrote:
Loving my tx300i moto conversion! Vet expert level rider and its awesome! [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/09/10/509406/s1200_20210902_192938.jpg[/img]
Loving my tx300i moto conversion!
Vet expert level rider and its awesome!
Can you give some details on what you did for moto. Of course, I can see 19" wheel and FMF system.
Broseph
9/10/2021 8:02am
Spooner wrote:
Why?
swordfish wrote:
Lol that’s total BS. The bike has super smooth power and the mid to top flat out rips. Add a pipe and it’s even more potent...
Lol that’s total BS. The bike has super smooth power and the mid to top flat out rips. Add a pipe and it’s even more potent. Not sure what was wrong with your bike but the newest OEM mapping is great. Not lean, plenty of oil. Set the PV to one turn in from flush and go. A 250TPi with a head and tune will smoke a stock 300.
Biggest issue with TPI is that no two bikes run the same. I wouldn’t doubt Crossbar’s bike ran just as he described.
swordfish
9/10/2021 8:15am
swordfish wrote:
Lol that’s total BS. The bike has super smooth power and the mid to top flat out rips. Add a pipe and it’s even more potent...
Broseph wrote:
Biggest issue with TPI is that no two bikes run the same. I wouldn’t doubt Crossbar’s bike ran just as he described.
That’s just silly man. The only real variance is the PV position and the optimal position based on dyno testing is 1 full turn in from flush. As long as the CCP sensor is good there is no reason why they would work different. They run the same components and ECU. You might see a slight variance with the stock head but that’s the case on any 2 stroke regardless of brand or type of fuel delivery.
Broseph
9/10/2021 8:35am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2021 8:44am
swordfish wrote:
Broseph wrote:
swordfish wrote:
That’s just silly man. The only real variance is the PV position and the optimal position based on dyno testing is 1 full turn in from...
That’s just silly man. The only real variance is the PV position and the optimal position based on dyno testing is 1 full turn in from flush. As long as the CCP sensor is good there is no reason why they would work different. They run the same components and ECU. You might see a slight variance with the stock head but that’s the case on any 2 stroke regardless of brand or type of fuel delivery.
What makes your TPI experience correct but mine and Crossbar’s wrong? I’m happy your bike runs well, but don’t discredit others because of this.

On KTM talk, the crankcase pressure sensor thread alone is 72 pages long. Maybe drop in over there and tell them they’re silly and the only real variance is the pv adjuster?
9/10/2021 8:41am
swordfish wrote:
Broseph wrote:
So far I've had kb5 revalve the suspension for moto. Installed a stock 450f tank. the pipe and silencer and yes a 19 inch rear along with the factory edition front to match it.
Until I put the pipe on it did have a pronounced burble in the mid range. But now it's good. Still not perfect but very good. More of an audible thing than performance now. It doesn't sound crisply jetted but damn it runs! When the pro circuit pipe shows up I'll try that and then make a decision If I need/want head or ecu mods. It's so close now im thinkin probably not. With a touch more tweeking.
Pv currently set at 1.5 turns in from flush didn't wanna mess with it on a race day which is all I've had since the fmf pipe arrived. Build thread in builds section also if your interested 🤷‍♂️
swordfish
9/10/2021 9:00am Edited Date/Time 9/10/2021 9:05am
Broseph wrote:
swordfish wrote:
That’s just silly man. The only real variance is the PV position and the optimal position based on dyno testing is 1 full turn in from...
Broseph wrote:
What makes your TPI experience correct but mine and Crossbar’s wrong? I’m happy your bike runs well, but don’t discredit others because of this. On KTM...
What makes your TPI experience correct but mine and Crossbar’s wrong? I’m happy your bike runs well, but don’t discredit others because of this.

On KTM talk, the crankcase pressure sensor thread alone is 72 pages long. Maybe drop in over there and tell them they’re silly and the only real variance is the pv adjuster?
Pretty sure I mentioned CCP sensor and I’m very familiar with the thread as I’ve contributed quite a few posts and case studies of failures most likely due to the CCP sensor overfueling when it fails or degrades. I work with two tour companies that run 15 to 20 new TPi’s that log over 200 hours per season on new hardware yearly. They are just not seeing these differences in performance bike to bike. So I’m not doubting your personal experience but it’s far far far from the norm when you look at the overall number of bikes sold. People like to bitch about TPi’s when they have issues just like anything. Majority of owners are happy and don’t have major issues. If you’re bike has a bad sensor, replace it with a new one like you would do any other sensor or component on a machine that fails. It’s not rocket science.
9/10/2021 9:26am
Oh yeah and threw the at81 combo as far as I could and mounted up mx53 front and mx33 rear. Even went big on the rear with a 120/90 19
swordfish
9/10/2021 9:27am
rodspindel wrote:
Oh yeah and threw the at81 combo as far as I could and mounted up mx53 front and mx33 rear. Even went big on the rear...
Oh yeah and threw the at81 combo as far as I could and mounted up mx53 front and mx33 rear. Even went big on the rear with a 120/90 19
That AT81 front deserves to be thrown in a furnace.
Broseph
9/10/2021 9:28am
swordfish wrote:
Broseph wrote:
What makes your TPI experience correct but mine and Crossbar’s wrong? I’m happy your bike runs well, but don’t discredit others because of this. On KTM...

swordfish wrote:
Pretty sure I mentioned CCP sensor and I’m very familiar with the thread as I’ve contributed quite a few posts and case studies of failures most...
Pretty sure I mentioned CCP sensor and I’m very familiar with the thread as I’ve contributed quite a few posts and case studies of failures most likely due to the CCP sensor overfueling when it fails or degrades. I work with two tour companies that run 15 to 20 new TPi’s that log over 200 hours per season on new hardware yearly. They are just not seeing these differences in performance bike to bike. So I’m not doubting your personal experience but it’s far far far from the norm when you look at the overall number of bikes sold. People like to bitch about TPi’s when they have issues just like anything. Majority of owners are happy and don’t have major issues. If you’re bike has a bad sensor, replace it with a new one like you would do any other sensor or component on a machine that fails. It’s not rocket science.
I’m not saying your experience is wrong either. Just saying don’t call others experience “bs” or “silly”.

Proof of what I’m saying is right in this thread. Four guys sharing TPI experience:

Crossbar: huge hole in midrange power
Swordfish: runs perfect
Rodspindel: midrange burble
Broseph: lean surging idle, stall prone, no bottom end power

They’re not all the same.
swordfish
9/10/2021 9:39am
Broseph wrote:

swordfish wrote:
Pretty sure I mentioned CCP sensor and I’m very familiar with the thread as I’ve contributed quite a few posts and case studies of failures most...
Broseph wrote:
I’m not saying your experience is wrong either. Just saying don’t call others experience “bs” or “silly”. Proof of what I’m saying is right in this...
I’m not saying your experience is wrong either. Just saying don’t call others experience “bs” or “silly”.

Proof of what I’m saying is right in this thread. Four guys sharing TPI experience:

Crossbar: huge hole in midrange power
Swordfish: runs perfect
Rodspindel: midrange burble
Broseph: lean surging idle, stall prone, no bottom end power

They’re not all the same.
Yes silly was a bad choice. I wouldn’t say mine runs perfect. The CCP sensor is starting to slowly degrade but I have 3 spares. I think perception is tough between people that may feel things differently. I have the luxury of riding a lot of the bikes new in stock form and they run pretty similar. As similar as a fuel injected 4 stroke when sensors are in good working order, PV positions are the same and the Air screw is set properly.
9/10/2021 9:41am
rodspindel wrote:
Oh yeah and threw the at81 combo as far as I could and mounted up mx53 front and mx33 rear. Even went big on the rear...
swordfish wrote:
That AT81 front deserves to be thrown in a furnace.
I think it really depends on what terrain people are riding. The AT81 is a very popular tire choice where I'm from. I use them myself and other than the rear wearing down a little quicker than I'd like, I have zero complaints.

Getting this thread back on track. I agree with those above who lean towards a 2T for technical single track and a 4T for more open trails, tracks etc.
LungButter
9/10/2021 9:49am
I don't have much to add other than whatever one you end up with is very likely to be a bad ass dirt bike to rip around.
Jeff_Brines
9/10/2021 9:58am
Just wanted to chime in here. I help out at Silber, we do performance flashes for the TPI stuff (we offer a full tuning suite if you want to monkey around yourself.). I can vouch for the whole "differential bike to bike" thing.

There are a few catalysts to this that can be fixed (eg, CCPS being dirty, defective, PV settings etc) but some of them seem to have to do more with quality control somewhere in the system (fuel delivery being slightly different bike to bike).

More or less, they do rip. I'm a huge fan. But as insane as it sounds, it does feel as though no two bikes feel the same.
langhammx
Fantasy
581st
9/10/2021 10:04am
I think it really depends on what terrain people are riding. The AT81 is a very popular tire choice where I'm from. I use them myself...
I think it really depends on what terrain people are riding. The AT81 is a very popular tire choice where I'm from. I use them myself and other than the rear wearing down a little quicker than I'd like, I have zero complaints.

Getting this thread back on track. I agree with those above who lean towards a 2T for technical single track and a 4T for more open trails, tracks etc.
I agree on the tire as well… I have tried just about every tire on the market and the AT81 isn’t a bad choice, IMO
I use the Goldentyre’s quite a bit, but just mounted up a few IRC fronts and rears. Going to try their Gummy front and rears on my 300. I put the M5B front and rear on my 500, which is a great tire for where I’m riding this time of year.

I’m fortunate to be able to have a XCW300 and an EXC500 for my OffRoad bikes. I have a SXF350 for the track and love it. I’ll never own another 450 for the track.
I’ll also say that when I replace the EXC500, I’ll likely get the EXC350 next time around.
You can’t go wrong with the 300 or 350, but they each shine in their own ways….
If I was to own one bike, it would be an EXC350.
9/11/2021 11:59am Edited Date/Time 9/11/2021 12:05pm
Spooner wrote:
Why?
swordfish wrote:
Total BS? I disagree, and my TPI didn't have a burble, they just have a flat spot. I had Silber flash the ECU, installed and RK head and FMF silencer and adjusted the PV. Still hated it.Ive had a few bikes in my time, not like I'm pulling this out of my....

2021 KTM 450SXF - 2020 KTM 690r Enduro - 2020 KTM 250xc TPI - 2018 CRF 450r - 2017 KTM 450SXF - 2017 KTM 250SX - 2013 KXF450 - 2015 KTM 500EXC - 2013 KTM 250SX - 2012 KXF250 - 2011 RMZ250 - 2011 KTM 250SX - 2010 KTM 450SXF - 2008 KTM 200XC - 2008 KTM 250SX 2006 KTM 300XCW - 2006 Sherco 300 Trials - 2003 RM250 - 2001 RM125 - 1992 RMX250 - 1991 RM125 - 1990 RM125 - 1989 KX80 - 1985 KX80 - 1986 XR80
agn5008
Fantasy
256th
9/12/2021 5:17am
swordfish wrote:
Total BS? I disagree, and my TPI didn't have a burble, they just have a flat spot. I had Silber flash the ECU, installed and RK...
Total BS? I disagree, and my TPI didn't have a burble, they just have a flat spot. I had Silber flash the ECU, installed and RK head and FMF silencer and adjusted the PV. Still hated it.Ive had a few bikes in my time, not like I'm pulling this out of my....

2021 KTM 450SXF - 2020 KTM 690r Enduro - 2020 KTM 250xc TPI - 2018 CRF 450r - 2017 KTM 450SXF - 2017 KTM 250SX - 2013 KXF450 - 2015 KTM 500EXC - 2013 KTM 250SX - 2012 KXF250 - 2011 RMZ250 - 2011 KTM 250SX - 2010 KTM 450SXF - 2008 KTM 200XC - 2008 KTM 250SX 2006 KTM 300XCW - 2006 Sherco 300 Trials - 2003 RM250 - 2001 RM125 - 1992 RMX250 - 1991 RM125 - 1990 RM125 - 1989 KX80 - 1985 KX80 - 1986 XR80
Same here with my 2022 300 XC. It’s got a flat spot in the mid and a major burble. I turned the PV out and it seemed to help the burble a little. It still has that flat spot in the mid though. And it doesn’t idle for shit. It blows my mind that KTM can’t sell a f*ucking $11,000 product and have it idle properly. Instead, I have to go out and buy a $30 idle screw and dick around a couple hours putting it in. The major benefit to having TPI was supposed to be that I wouldn’t have to mess with the carb to get it to run right. With what these bikes cost these days they should truly be “ready to race.” Or at least “ready to ride without stalling constantly.”

I too have owned a ton of new dirt bikes. If I had to guess, probably 25+ Brand new bikes. This BS ain’t right. I wanted to go with a new Beta or Sherco but all the dealers I contacted wanted over $12k OTD for them. F that. I just wanna ride my damn bike like the good old days. Throw my gear on, fill the tank and off I go.

Technology is getting better but it’s probably not “better” for us simpletons who just wanna ride a dirt bike and have a good time.

I don’t know why I just went on this rant. I love my new XC 300 overall. It just angers me that I have to mess around with it to get it good. I’m not expecting it to be great. I just want to ride it 🤷‍♂️
hellion
9/12/2021 6:29am
If you decide to go with the 300, you might wait for a 23’ as they’re moving away from the tpi and going to a throttle body injection, even on the SX model. I’ve got a few friends with tpi’s and two run good, one runs like crap and it’s been through the service dept at three ktm dealers with no solution. Hopefully the new injection system is more consistent, reliable, and combines the better attributes of fi with the power character of a good running carbed bike.

Post a reply to: Husky Tx 300i vs Fx 350

The Latest