Husky, KTM, or GasGas 350?

mikejones202
Fantasy
3184th
Edited Date/Time 4/13/2022 9:57am
Thinking of going back to a 350 here lately as I am currently on a Yamaha 250f. Will be riding 30+ B classes this year and I'm of smaller stature so a 450 is a no go for me. Between those 3, which one is the better pick? I see reviews all over the place so just looking for some insight from a contingency stand point and bike stand point.

Note: I've owned a 17 KTM 350 and a 19 Husky 350
|
soggy
Fantasy
3846th
1/10/2022 10:51am
If your shorter you might like the husky since it’s 10mm lower front and rear. Other then that I would go for the GG. And use the money saved on suspension set up. The GG sounds like the most forgiving of the group.

For me personally I’d go GG, ktm, husq in that order. But I’m 6ft and don’t think I’d like the lower suspension as much.
MXer391
1/10/2022 11:26am
Get whatever one you can find. I have a Gas Gas coming but they're aren't many left, if any, of the orange or white flavor.
1/10/2022 11:33am
Thinking of going back to a 350 here lately as I am currently on a Yamaha 250f. Will be riding 30+ B classes this year and...
Thinking of going back to a 350 here lately as I am currently on a Yamaha 250f. Will be riding 30+ B classes this year and I'm of smaller stature so a 450 is a no go for me. Between those 3, which one is the better pick? I see reviews all over the place so just looking for some insight from a contingency stand point and bike stand point.

Depends what you want. KTM and Husky are pretty similar minus the 10MM drop on the husky. I personally wasn't a huge fan of the husky feel compared to the KTM. KTM just felt better to me. I haven't ridden the GasGas but it will be more mellow compared to the other two in stock form. If you are going to do some mods that is fine, but if you want to race as is, get KTM or Husky. My next bike will be a GasGas because I like to upgrade stuff anyway so might as well have the lower OTD price.

The Shop

TeamGreen
1/10/2022 11:59am
Doesn't the GasGas MC350F run the same "10mm lower" set-up as the Husky?
mikejones202
Fantasy
3184th
1/10/2022 12:29pm
Thinking of going back to a 350 here lately as I am currently on a Yamaha 250f. Will be riding 30+ B classes this year and...

Depends what you want. KTM and Husky are pretty similar minus the 10MM drop on the husky. I personally wasn't a huge fan of the husky...
Depends what you want. KTM and Husky are pretty similar minus the 10MM drop on the husky. I personally wasn't a huge fan of the husky feel compared to the KTM. KTM just felt better to me. I haven't ridden the GasGas but it will be more mellow compared to the other two in stock form. If you are going to do some mods that is fine, but if you want to race as is, get KTM or Husky. My next bike will be a GasGas because I like to upgrade stuff anyway so might as well have the lower OTD price.

this was kind of my thoughts as well....the only downside I see with the gas gas is contingency, but I don't think i'll make an extra 1k in contingency to offset that difference. Not having a map switch doesn't really affect me as much and from what I am hearing, the triple clamps are better on the gas gas compared to ktm/husky
Ryan625
1/10/2022 12:30pm
TeamGreen wrote:
I don’t believe so. It’s a strange combination of some of the different items offered between the two other brands. They also have a bit cheaper spec rims, not the top did or excels. Also cast triple clamps.

I believe KTM suspension settings but overall it’s just a softer platform from the start geared at a more entry level rider. They want to keep the KTM the “racer” and the Husky as their more “premier” offering.

I went GasGas because I like red bikes. But mines also far from stock because I decided to see if spending the money on cones is worth it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

mikejones202
Fantasy
3184th
1/10/2022 12:30pm
Moto520 wrote:
KTM.....
what makes you say that? looking for some reasoning as I have had the KTM and Husky
mikejones202
Fantasy
3184th
1/10/2022 12:36pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Ryan625 wrote:
I don’t believe so. It’s a strange combination of some of the different items offered between the two other brands. They also have a bit cheaper...
I don’t believe so. It’s a strange combination of some of the different items offered between the two other brands. They also have a bit cheaper spec rims, not the top did or excels. Also cast triple clamps.

I believe KTM suspension settings but overall it’s just a softer platform from the start geared at a more entry level rider. They want to keep the KTM the “racer” and the Husky as their more “premier” offering.

I went GasGas because I like red bikes. But mines also far from stock because I decided to see if spending the money on cones is worth it. 🤷🏻‍♂️

That thing is so sick. I had cones on my husky and the reason I went away from it was cause I could never get em dialed in correctly. I think if I do any suspension stuff again if I get one would be kyb conversion....I rode my yz with bone stock suspension all last season and loved it better then my $3500 cones lol
Hammer 663s
1/10/2022 12:40pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Ryan625 wrote:
I don’t believe so. It’s a strange combination of some of the different items offered between the two other brands. They also have a bit cheaper...

That thing is so sick. I had cones on my husky and the reason I went away from it was cause I could never get em...
That thing is so sick. I had cones on my husky and the reason I went away from it was cause I could never get em dialed in correctly. I think if I do any suspension stuff again if I get one would be kyb conversion....I rode my yz with bone stock suspension all last season and loved it better then my $3500 cones lol
Then you would love an MC350 with the MX Tech Lucky Carbons and some MX Tech shock upgrades. That would be sweet and still get you in near Husky MSRP.

Mike
Ryan625
1/10/2022 12:40pm
TeamGreen wrote:
Ryan625 wrote:

That thing is so sick. I had cones on my husky and the reason I went away from it was cause I could never get em...
Thanks man, appreciate it!

This will be my first time with cones, I never could get the AER on my 2017 TC250 (two stroke 🤟) to where it didn’t jar my wrists unless I landed everything perfectly.
Tanner and JMC is a WP guru and is helping me dial in the suspension. I’m running the stock shock as he said for what he can do with it, the Traxx isn’t a big enough difference unless I didn’t care about the budget. Basically if you got the money then do it lol
Ryan625
1/10/2022 12:42pm
Ryan625 wrote:

Then you would love an MC350 with the MX Tech Lucky Carbons and some MX Tech shock upgrades. That would be sweet and still get you...
Then you would love an MC350 with the MX Tech Lucky Carbons and some MX Tech shock upgrades. That would be sweet and still get you in near Husky MSRP.

Mike
Hammer, the other setup I was considering was the carbons with a National shock. If I don’t mesh with the cones I still may 🤷🏻‍♂️
Hammer 663s
1/10/2022 12:45pm
Ryan625 wrote:
Hammer, the other setup I was considering was the carbons with a National shock. If I don’t mesh with the cones I still may 🤷🏻‍♂️
I understand (mostly from Vital!) that the CVs can be tricky to setup and also have short maintenance intervals (as low as 10 hours?). So far my Luckies have needed nothing other than oil changes (every 15 hours on the forks for me) and that's an easy 1 hour job. I get the shock done every 50-ish hours or so. Personally the Nat shock is way overkill for me. I'm not fast enough to need it.

Hammer 663s
Ryan625
1/10/2022 1:00pm
Ryan625 wrote:
I understand (mostly from Vital!) that the CVs can be tricky to setup and also have short maintenance intervals (as low as 10 hours?). So far...
I understand (mostly from Vital!) that the CVs can be tricky to setup and also have short maintenance intervals (as low as 10 hours?). So far my Luckies have needed nothing other than oil changes (every 15 hours on the forks for me) and that's an easy 1 hour job. I get the shock done every 50-ish hours or so. Personally the Nat shock is way overkill for me. I'm not fast enough to need it.

Hammer 663s
I believe that those service intervals are more geared towards the Jett Lawrence’s than the 30+ B rider lol
I’m curious to see, but my buddy at JMC doesn’t BS me so I trust what he tells me 🤷🏻‍♂️
1/10/2022 1:08pm
Ryan625 wrote:

Damn, that is a beauty. Well done Sir! I love my '19 350SFX but she aint that!!
Hi Side
1/10/2022 1:41pm
Husky especially if you're shorter. I have a '19 TC125, 20' FC450 and '21 FC250 and I can tell you the 10mm makes a difference on the '21.
Moto520
1/10/2022 1:49pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2022 1:52pm
Moto520 wrote:
KTM.....
what makes you say that? looking for some reasoning as I have had the KTM and Husky
I bought one in September! I think there are more KTM's sold than Husky or GG. Because of this.....there would be more aftermarket parts readily available for the KTM. The information with the aftermarket companies is more tailored to KTM. More plastic available for KTM. Easy to get stock parts and generally in stock from the bigger companies.

95% of the parts are the same......splitting hairs at this point.

The KTM is better set up for aggressive racing. The sub-frame is a better design on the KTM. The wheels are easy to break on the KTM so i can't imagine going down in wheel quality like on the GG.

I'm tall so a shorter bike does not appeal to me.

I like the map switch and use it often.

There's more KTM dealers in my area. There's no reason NOT to go with KTM.
gristle568
1/10/2022 2:05pm
What are people paying for them? Im starting to look for one and id prefer the husky but any of the three would be fine, im just curious what decent deal would be? i know the ktm and husky would be more than a gasgas.
TeamGreen
1/10/2022 2:07pm
Husky FC350 $10,199
KTM SX350F $10,099
GG MC350F $ 9,299 (notable difference, to me, is the Map Switch that you can get for $150, so: $9,449)

I'd take the better looking red one on have $800-900 in my pocket. Oh, and, after listening to Ping and Kurt? NO! I don't need the cool guy triple clamps...or...haven't you noticed what they've been saying about the GasGas's forgiving nature?
Ryan625
1/10/2022 2:49pm
I paid 10,800 OTD but I also didn’t register it so no ORV tabs for me.
Spooner
1/10/2022 4:11pm
I didn’t realize the GG was a grand less. I am waiting for the ‘23 TBI woods bikes to release and I might have to go red if that’s the case.

Are the cases different on the GG’s? To me they look to be more of a raw finish when I see them at the local shops that have two flavors of austrian bikes.
gristle568
1/11/2022 12:08pm
I got quoted 11k otd on a ktm from my closest ktm dealer and 10200otd from a gasgas dealer about 2 hours away. These bikes are kinda hard to come by in my area. I wanted a husky but there are none to be found without driving far.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
1/11/2022 12:33pm
I understand (mostly from Vital!) that the CVs can be tricky to setup and also have short maintenance intervals (as low as 10 hours?). So far...

Hammer 663s
I’ve had several sets of Cone Valves from PowerBand and could not be happier. Not sure why some (Mostly Brent) seem to think that they are hard to set up…. I’ve had zero issues and service them every 30-40 hours. 50+ Vet rider
Ryan625
1/11/2022 12:41pm

Hammer 663s
langhammx wrote:
I’ve had several sets of Cone Valves from PowerBand and could not be happier. Not sure why some (Mostly Brent) seem to think that they are...
I’ve had several sets of Cone Valves from PowerBand and could not be happier. Not sure why some (Mostly Brent) seem to think that they are hard to set up…. I’ve had zero issues and service them every 30-40 hours. 50+ Vet rider
This response makes me happy. And as stated, I have nothing but confidence in my local WP guy. He’s factory WO certified and has wrenched for some big names
hylo
1/11/2022 12:46pm Edited Date/Time 1/11/2022 12:50pm

Hammer 663s
They can be quirky to set up yes. They will also have a stiffer feel than a standard AER 48, but nothing is impossible and you might end up with some seriously good settings. But you have to try and fail some. The clickers do exactly the same as any other suspension set - the stiffen or loosen stuff.

As for service intervals, the shock manual states first time service at 20 hours and every 40th hour after that. The forks says first service after 10 hours and every 40th hour after that.

With that being said, I’ve never had a a set of CVs or Trax shock that last as long as the recommended service interval states. Usually after 15-20 hours I need to change the oil and dust seals. Its a damn shame since the CVs and trax shock work so good when properly set up.
Ryan625
1/11/2022 12:49pm
My plan is to service them and have them completely gone through at the end of every season. I’m 34 and don’t ride as much as I would like to

Post a reply to: Husky, KTM, or GasGas 350?

The Latest