Husky Clutch Install Question

Dude Abides
Ready to replace my FC 350 clutch with a Rocky Mountain Unit - I have replaced plenty of clutches in my life but this one has me stumped. Seven plates came out and I installed seven plates - but the last plate there is no room on the basket ?
Seven fibers right ?
What am I doing wrong ?
Yes -- they are fitted on the basket properly.
Thanks for the advice in advance.
|
ge217
9/25/2022 7:07pm
Ready to replace my FC 350 clutch with a Rocky Mountain Unit - I have replaced plenty of clutches in my life but this one has...
Ready to replace my FC 350 clutch with a Rocky Mountain Unit - I have replaced plenty of clutches in my life but this one has me stumped. Seven plates came out and I installed seven plates - but the last plate there is no room on the basket ?
Seven fibers right ?
What am I doing wrong ?
Yes -- they are fitted on the basket properly.
Thanks for the advice in advance.
If the new stack of plates and metals together is just a hair bigger in clutch pack width then the old one. You have them in the wrong slot.
Shapi
9/26/2022 3:23pm
Check the bottom of pressure plate and bottom of the clutch basket. Metals suck in real hard and can be difficult to tell if you have the last metal disc out ot not. I often need a pick to tell if it is basket or disc...
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
9/27/2022 4:58pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2022 4:59pm
Shapi wrote:
Check the bottom of pressure plate and bottom of the clutch basket. Metals suck in real hard and can be difficult to tell if you have...
Check the bottom of pressure plate and bottom of the clutch basket. Metals suck in real hard and can be difficult to tell if you have the last metal disc out ot not. I often need a pick to tell if it is basket or disc...
There should be fibers on the outsides, the metal plates shouldn’t be against the pressure plate or inner hub.

langhammx
Fantasy
455th
9/27/2022 5:01pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2022 5:03pm
Measure the thickness of old plates and new plates, chances are you may have the wrong plates or the aftermarket ones are incorrect ?

I’d stay with OEM or Hinson plates, if I were you. I’ve never had good luck with aftermarket clutch plates, but that’s just me…

You might try the “Technical Help” forum on here for mechanical stuff, there are some good guys posting on there.
KTMTALK is a really good forum for all things KTM/ Husky and GasGas as well

The Shop

DaBaum44
9/27/2022 5:16pm
Shapi wrote:
Check the bottom of pressure plate and bottom of the clutch basket. Metals suck in real hard and can be difficult to tell if you have...
langhammx wrote:
There should be fibers on the outsides, the metal plates shouldn’t be against the pressure plate or inner hub.

My 21 KTM 350 is metal plates against the pressure plate and inner hub. The thinnest plate goes on the very bottom and the very top. I would imagine it is the same as a Husky 350. The top metal plate is typically stuck to the pressure plate when I remove my clutch pack.
langhammx
Fantasy
455th
9/27/2022 5:24pm
DaBaum44 wrote:
My 21 KTM 350 is metal plates against the pressure plate and inner hub. The thinnest plate goes on the very bottom and the very top...
My 21 KTM 350 is metal plates against the pressure plate and inner hub. The thinnest plate goes on the very bottom and the very top. I would imagine it is the same as a Husky 350. The top metal plate is typically stuck to the pressure plate when I remove my clutch pack.
Really ?? So there’s 9- metals and 8- fibers ?
Well, I stand corrected and apologize

I haven’t had to put a clutch in any of my KTM’s yet, so I was not aware. That strange, but I suppose the hub and pressure plate will last longer.

I can see this being his problem then, as you had suggested, if he wasn’t counting the plates coming out of it, versus the new ones.
Shapi
9/27/2022 5:51pm
Shapi wrote:
langhammx wrote:

Pretty sure. NOW, one thing I just thought of and my apologies, but we run Rekluse torque drive set-ups and they are metals...I'll recheck and reconfirm
Dude Abides
9/27/2022 5:56pm
Thank You Guys so much. I am re-installing now...I will update later.
Does the thick fiber one go in first or last btw ?
sandman768
9/27/2022 5:58pm Edited Date/Time 9/27/2022 5:58pm
Thin metals first & last, fibers should all be the same, as others have stated, sometimes the thin metals stick to pressure plate & center hub, make sure they are removed.
TK40_FC
9/27/2022 6:22pm
Not sure if you are aware but when you put the center ring on that secures the spring, there are three sets of marks on it. I , II, III. Make sure your first fastener goes through the "II" hole, which will ensure your spring is flat across the plane when all fasteners are tight. The spring shouldn't be concave or convex.

The purpose of the other marks is to make adjustments as the fibers wear to keep the spring flat, or so Ive read.
Dude Abides
9/27/2022 6:46pm
Done.
My dumb ass had two metal plates stuck together.....after changing about 50 clutches on 2-strokes you would think I know better....thanks fellas.
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
9/27/2022 9:14pm
Shapi wrote:
langhammx wrote:

Shapi wrote:
Pretty sure. NOW, one thing I just thought of and my apologies, but we run Rekluse torque drive set-ups and they are metals...I'll recheck and reconfirm
We had those on my son's 2017 350. 12 plates vs 7 plates. I believe, because the plates are thinner they don't have enough contact area on the pins. The result was a few of the pins broke and scattered metal through the bottom end. Had to pull the whole engine apart and replace all the bearings. Because the stock plates are thicker, the pressure is spread over a larger area and there's less chance of damaging the pins.
TM
FGR01
Fantasy
1222nd
9/27/2022 9:36pm
langhammx wrote:

Shapi wrote:
ToolMaker wrote:
We had those on my son's 2017 350. 12 plates vs 7 plates. I believe, because the plates are thinner they don't have enough contact area...
We had those on my son's 2017 350. 12 plates vs 7 plates. I believe, because the plates are thinner they don't have enough contact area on the pins. The result was a few of the pins broke and scattered metal through the bottom end. Had to pull the whole engine apart and replace all the bearings. Because the stock plates are thicker, the pressure is spread over a larger area and there's less chance of damaging the pins.
TM
ToolMaker
Fantasy
762nd
9/27/2022 9:52pm
Shapi wrote:
ToolMaker wrote:
We had those on my son's 2017 350. 12 plates vs 7 plates. I believe, because the plates are thinner they don't have enough contact area...
TM
FGR01 wrote:
Yeah, we just went back to stock KTM parts and no more issues.
TM
dl117
Fantasy
2577th
9/28/2022 9:23am
I had the same problem doing a clutch in my sons 21 125, couldnt for the life of me figure it out.....asked another husky dad and he told me about the thin plates on outside and inside, and also starting with a steel.

Post a reply to: Husky Clutch Install Question

The Latest