Huge Changes to the Sport, MX Sports and Feld Combine Forces, New Races and Championships, Bigger Purses, and More...

ML512
Fantasy
45th
Edited Date/Time 8/5/2022 11:09am

Feld Motor Sports and MX Sports Pro Racing Partner to Form the SuperMotocross World Championship
Race Purse Increased to Sport’s Richest - $10 Million

PALMETTO, Fla./MORGANTOWN, W.Va., (August 2, 2022) – Feld Motor Sports, Inc. and MX
Sports Pro Racing today jointly announced a partnership that will see the formation of the
SuperMotocross World Championship. Under this new alliance, the two companies will work
together to grow both, Supercross and Motocross, creating a new championship platform that
will reward the sport’s best athletes with a $10 million purse - the richest offering in either
sports’ history.

Starting in 2023, the professional racing season will expand and culminate with the
SuperMotocross World Championship on Saturday, October 14 at the Los Angeles Memorial
Coliseum in Los Angeles, California.

“With the creation of the SuperMotocross World Championship, we are taking a significant step
towards growing the sport into a series that will be better suited for the expanding global
marketplace and its impact on our fans and sponsors,” said Kenneth Feld, Chair and CEO of Feld
Entertainment, Inc. “As media and technology continue to evolve, SuperMotocross will be able
to capitalize on these innovations to reach new audiences and grow exponentially in the
coming years.”

The Monster Energy AMA Supercross Championship and the Lucas Oil Pro Motocross
Championship will both continue to crown their own champions at the conclusion of their
respective series’. Afterwards, the top 22 250cc athletes and the top 22 450cc athletes in
combined Supercross and Pro Motocross points will qualify to compete in the two
SuperMotocross Playoff Rounds and World Championship round for the SuperMotocross #1
plate and sport’s richest payout.

“We are celebrating 50 years of American Motocross this season and the creation of the
SuperMotocross World Championship and working in unison with Supercross may be one of the
most significant changes the sport has ever undertaken,” said Carrie Coombs-Russell, Chief
Executive Officer, MX Sports Pro Racing. “This collaboration will create the only off-road racing
series on the planet that provides a fully supported infrastructure, from amateur development
to the professional ranks for global competitors to race on the world’s most challenging and
demanding tracks.”

All seven of the primary original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) – KTM, Husqvarna, GASGAS,
Kawasaki, Honda, Yamaha, and Suzuki, are excited about this new partnership and are fully
committed to competing with their race teams. Factory-supported racing efforts have been the
backbone of professional racing in the United States for more than five decades. Their
commitment ensures that the highest level of racing competition will continue in Supercross,
Pro Motocross and throughout the SuperMotocross Playoffs and World Championship.

“The creation of the SuperMotocross World Championship is the biggest and most positive step
to ever happen in our sport,” said Roger De Coster – Director of Motorsports, KTM Group North
America. “Supercross and Motocross racing in the U.S. is very strong right now and this
investment from Feld Motor Sports and MX Sports Pro Racing will bring the next generation of
fans to motorcycling.”

"The SuperMotocross World Championship is an important and necessary step forward for our
sport,” stated Chris Brull, Kawasaki Vice President of Marketing and Racing. “The collaboration
between Feld Motor Sports and MX Sports Pro Racing further strengthens Kawasaki's
commitment to this new world championship and to the already well-established and
successful Supercross and Motocross championships."

The SuperMotocross World Championship will combine both disciplines of Supercross and Pro
Motocross introducing a unique and distinct form of racing called SuperMotocross, hence
becoming a new discipline for the sport. Custom-designed tracks will be built to showcase this
new style of racing. World-class venues will allow room to integrate the best track designs from
Supercross, Pro Motocross and now SuperMotocross, finally providing a stage where the sport’s
ultimate debate can be decided – who is the best in the world and ultimately crowning a new
overall champion.

“As a manufacturer, it's great to see two of our valued partners collaborating to bring
something new to our sport,” said Brandon Wilson, Manager of Racing and Experiential
Marketing, Honda Power Sports and Products. “Considering that this has been in the works for
more than two years, we are excited to now finally be able to share this significant news. The
SuperMotocross World Championship is going to add a lot of intrigue for everyone.
Fans will have more opportunities to see their favorite riders and the most competitive racing, plus
we'll now see who the best overall rider is.”

“As the current and reigning champion in both Supercross and Motocross, we’re extremely
proud to have earned those titles battling the best competition on the planet,” said Derek
Brooks, Yamaha Motorcycle Product Line Manager. “The SuperMotocross World Championship
is a unique, yet also natural next step for the sport as we work together to highlight the
immense talent of the athletes who compete on our class-leading product.”

Feld Motor Sports and MX Sports Pro Racing have worked together previously on industry
related initiatives, none more significant than joining forces in the early days of the pandemic
to save motorcycle racing in the United States. Both companies will continue to work together
in a collaborative effort to continue growing the sport both domestically and abroad. Bringing
together the leadership experience of both organizations and creating a unified rule book will
ensure consistency across the series for both athletes and teams. Their combined marketing
and operational expertise will strengthen and grow fan engagement through integrated media,
promotional, sponsorship and activation programming across the racing season.

“We are inspired to see this new partnership and the creating of the SuperMotocross World
Championship,” said Chris Wheeler, Motorsports Manager for Suzuki Motor USA, LLC. “Suzuki is
looking forward to racing in this new championship and competing at the highest level in
Supercross, Motocross, and now the SuperMotocross World Championship.”

The 2023 Monster Energy AMA Supercross Championship schedule will be announced in the
coming weeks, followed by the 2023 Lucas Oil Pro Motocross Championship, sanctioned by
AMA Pro Racing schedule. Dates and venues for the upcoming SuperMotocross World
Championship and additional details will be announced later in the year. For updates and all the
latest news please make sure to visit SupercrossLIVE and Pro Motocross.
|
ElliotB16
8/2/2022 7:10am
SuperMotocross!!

How much thought was put into that name 😂
nskerb
8/2/2022 7:17am
ElliotB16 wrote:
SuperMotocross!!

How much thought was put into that name 😂
Massive missed opportunity to call it megacross.
J. Sloan
8/2/2022 7:18am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2022 9:01am
Sounds like they don't want to lose riders to the WSX. This all seems very exciting, but hopefully the SuperMotocross World Championship combine indoor and outdoor racing, and not just weird outdoor type tracks at stadiums.

And if they are gonna call it a World Championship, hopefully the races expand the globe and are not just in North America.
prozach
8/2/2022 7:18am
Pretty awesome! To bad the last two SX champions are SX only now. Hopefully this helps to change their and future rider's mind!s Even though winning the sx championship would still give you enough points to be top 22 mx/SX combined probably and therefore qualify for the SuperMotocross championship.

The Shop

GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
8/2/2022 7:18am
FIM already going to work on the SuperDuperMotocross World Championship
Wil Denis
8/2/2022 7:20am
The super motocross name sounds like it’s out of a cheesy low budget film
Juck
Fantasy
309th
8/2/2022 7:20am
So since it's a world championship, what are the chances of a round outside of the USA (excluding the odd sx round in Canada)?

1%? 2%? Maybe even 3%?
bultokid
8/2/2022 7:23am
Love it...that's a master brake check move on WSX here in States
Hudd_421
8/2/2022 7:24am
OMG "SuperMotocross"?!?! Shows how out of touch these promotors are...good god Grinning

This is the most reactionary BS to World Supercross, and it totally exposes them. Thank god for WSX, only took a reasonable opponent to completely expose these American promotors.

So much mention of "growing the sport" however, will this include any changes is how they work with team sponsors and make private teams able to effectively market? Will anything outside of the status quo actually change? Do they really think fans care about a "supermotocross" grand national champion? (Look the 80's were cool, but no one want's the grand national champion thing back...).

I guess upping the purse is a positive, so that's a good thing atleast...
Richy
8/2/2022 7:26am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2022 7:31am
Super Cowboy Hot Dog Rocketship American SuperMotocross Number One...

Kind of funny to see the effort they could have put in, but wouldn't until WSX spooked them.

I may have missed it, does this have any effect (for the better, hopefully) on payouts for privateers / guys outside the top 10?

Also disappointed at decreasing outdoors, but I'd far sooner see this change than lose the outdoors as we know it all together after an SX Vs WSX debacle, as the Nationals is still my personal favourite racing by a long shot.
Not-a-Fan
8/2/2022 7:33am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2022 7:34am
Im with Richy, wsx indeed has them so spooked they are willing to pay the riders now.

This is all I can think of now
cameron96
8/2/2022 7:35am
Felds enjoyed a monopoly on SX for many years. Looks like with the coming competing series, field has decided to play ball. Competition among series may be a great thing for our sport as a whole!
DKmxFAN
8/2/2022 7:35am
This mean we can watch motocross again? Or supermotocross?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
8/2/2022 7:36am
Got questions? We'll be interviewing Prater and DC about this news in about three hours.
Not-a-Fan
8/2/2022 7:39am
Jordan421 wrote:
Can too many series be a bad thing?
Not to me. I'm just poking at them cause its sad that it takes the idea of loosing their golden goose egg to (potentially) treat their riders fairly, or at least just listen to what they actually feel they needed all this time.
GrapeApe
Fantasy
760th
8/2/2022 7:39am
ML512 wrote:
Got questions? We'll be interviewing Prater and DC about this news in about three hours.
When Feld cut ties with the FIM was this already in the works? It seems like the FIM would have been a road block to any cooperation with MX Sports.
Rotaholic
8/2/2022 7:43am
What ironic timing, all those riders and teams must feel shafted. Where was this money when geico and JGR folded. I'm now rooting for team WSX, go the under dog.
TXDirt
8/2/2022 7:44am
Do not. I repeat. Do not let DC have anything to do with the streaming strategy.

That is all. Thank you.
colintrax
Fantasy
2342nd
8/2/2022 7:45am
ML512 wrote:
Does this mean we'll get the same TV package for both series? And more specifically, will Feld be in charge of making the TV deals?
Gary Duck
8/2/2022 7:45am
Reminds me of my son that doesn't touch a toy for months/years and couldn't possibly care less about it until the moment his sister finds it in the bushes of the backyard.

"Waaaahhhh.... MOM, DAD!!!! SHE HAS MY SUPERMOTOCROSS AND I WANT IT BACK!!!!!!!"

This shit should've happened 25yrs ago.
gt80rider
8/2/2022 7:45am Edited Date/Time 8/2/2022 7:49am
seems incredibly desperate...

not a good sign....

and that name straight up sucks...

after actually reading the release.... ya.... my already low opinion dropped considerably.... are they trying to kill the entire sport off???? have the factory teams said "heck yes we have tons of extra cash and we will support this!!"... have the riders said "heck yes, i can't wait to do even more races in the off season"....?????????

RonSkj
Fantasy
131st
8/2/2022 7:46am
Will it be live on MavTv ?
ML512
Fantasy
45th
ML512 wrote:
GrapeApe wrote:
When Feld cut ties with the FIM was this already in the works? It seems like the FIM would have been a road block to any...
When Feld cut ties with the FIM was this already in the works? It seems like the FIM would have been a road block to any cooperation with MX Sports.
Correct. I was told earlier this year, shortly after SX Global was announced, that there was a bigger reason for the Feld separation and according to two OEM sources...they were approached on a rough idea of this in the early stages of 2021.
goinrcn44h
Fantasy
788th
ML512 wrote:
Why did it take a 50 years and only after there was true competition to their abundant revenue stream did they finally decide that paying their riders their worth?
8/2/2022 7:47am
Gary Duck wrote:
Reminds me of my son that doesn't touch a toy for months/years and couldn't possibly care less about it until the moment his sister finds it...
Reminds me of my son that doesn't touch a toy for months/years and couldn't possibly care less about it until the moment his sister finds it in the bushes of the backyard.

"Waaaahhhh.... MOM, DAD!!!! SHE HAS MY SUPERMOTOCROSS AND I WANT IT BACK!!!!!!!"

This shit should've happened 25yrs ago.
Well said, lol…
Jordan421
Fantasy
2594th
8/2/2022 7:47am
Jordan421 wrote:
Can too many series be a bad thing?
Not-a-Fan wrote:
Not to me. I'm just poking at them cause its sad that it takes the idea of loosing their golden goose egg to (potentially) treat their...
Not to me. I'm just poking at them cause its sad that it takes the idea of loosing their golden goose egg to (potentially) treat their riders fairly, or at least just listen to what they actually feel they needed all this time.
But what will happen to like the British series, Canadian triple crown, Australia SX, ect? Will rider start leaving these series and slowly kill them off?
goinrcn44h
Fantasy
788th
8/2/2022 7:48am
ML512 wrote:
Will the riders/teams still have to pay their way in to put on a show for the series?

Post a reply to: Huge Changes to the Sport, MX Sports and Feld Combine Forces, New Races and Championships, Bigger Purses, and More...

The Latest