How would you feel if you bought this bike? *Important Update*

zippytech
11/16/2019 1:56am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2019 1:57am
Why was the hole drilled in the cylinder? Is that a special breather hole?
Tbteam
11/16/2019 5:04am
zippytech wrote:
Why was the hole drilled in the cylinder? Is that a special breather hole?
I’ve actually given this some thought. If you were going to do Nitrous, would you add a fitting there? I’m thinking go cart application? Whatever, water under the bridge.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
11/16/2019 5:11am
So if the seller said he refunded some money and the shipping/brokerage costs, what is the buyer actually out? If it's $3,000 Cdn then that is actually only about $2,200 Usd. That's not the end of the world and it's not the point in selling a bike in good faith.

Tbteam
11/16/2019 5:20am
Ramrod wrote:
So if the seller said he refunded some money and the shipping/brokerage costs, what is the buyer actually out? If it's $3,000 Cdn then that is...
So if the seller said he refunded some money and the shipping/brokerage costs, what is the buyer actually out? If it's $3,000 Cdn then that is actually only about $2,200 Usd. That's not the end of the world and it's not the point in selling a bike in good faith.

$3,000US plus $3,600 in parts.

I had a very pleasant conversation with Derek yesterday evening. He called me, just FYI. I honestly believe that he had very limited info on what he was selling me. When you run a fair sized shop, and you hold things for years, you may be unaware of what the true condition of a bike might be. I’m sure that this will all be worked out in some way.

Yes, the bike was a total POS when received and a true disappointment to me, but it will be brought back to life soon.

Thanks again to everyone here for the support.

The Shop

yak651
Fantasy
214th
11/16/2019 5:35am Edited Date/Time 11/16/2019 5:37am
Ramrod wrote:
So if the seller said he refunded some money and the shipping/brokerage costs, what is the buyer actually out? If it's $3,000 Cdn then that is...

Tbteam wrote:
$3,000US plus $3,600 in parts. I had a very pleasant conversation with Derek yesterday evening. He called me, just FYI. I honestly believe that he had...

I had a very pleasant conversation with Derek yesterday evening. He called me, just FYI. I honestly believe that he had very limited info on what he was selling me. When you run a fair sized shop, and you hold things for years, you may be unaware of what the true condition of a bike might be. I’m sure that this will all be worked out in some way.

Yes, the bike was a total POS when received and a true disappointment to me, but it will be brought back to life soon.

You sound like a great person, can see why you have been successful in life. Hope your project turns out great and sorry if any of my post on this subject added negativity to the situation.
Badd127
Fantasy
2195th
11/16/2019 5:43am
Ramrod wrote:

Tbteam wrote:
$3,000US plus $3,600 in parts. I had a very pleasant conversation with Derek yesterday evening. He called me, just FYI. I honestly believe that he had...

I guess you learn a lesson about buying bikes, and he hopefully learnt a lesson about selling bikes. Good luck with the rebuild.
We all learnt that blowing up someone's phone is the preferred form of revenge.
Fox88
Fantasy
22nd
11/16/2019 6:32am
sorry for your struggles, but the sentence about removing everything without tools was pure comedy!
Monk
11/16/2019 9:19am
Man, OP you have some thick ass skin to go through what your going through....Can I donate a couple bucks to see this build come through? I'm currently in the process of doing a resto-mod on a 93 CR250 so these models have a special interest in my heart
Tbteam
11/16/2019 9:52am
Monk wrote:
Man, OP you have some thick ass skin to go through what your going through....Can I donate a couple bucks to see this build come through...
Man, OP you have some thick ass skin to go through what your going through....Can I donate a couple bucks to see this build come through? I'm currently in the process of doing a resto-mod on a 93 CR250 so these models have a special interest in my heart
Ha! Thanks. I’m good. It will be running and ready to race by the end of the week, I’m hoping.
11/16/2019 10:18am
Shitty situation but look at it as an opportunity to have a bad ass build thread.
Ramrod
Fantasy
1751st
11/16/2019 11:21am
Monk wrote:
Man, OP you have some thick ass skin to go through what your going through....Can I donate a couple bucks to see this build come through...
Tbteam wrote:
Ha! Thanks. I’m good. It will be running and ready to race by the end of the week, I’m hoping.
Can’t wait to see it back up to standards MC would approve of!
mxracer71
Fantasy
2442nd
11/16/2019 12:19pm
Man that sucks, you have to remember...This is vital all you have to do is unleash the dogs and that guy is going to wish he never sold that bike to you, just saying.....
ledger
11/16/2019 5:45pm
Gotta say...you have held your composure well. Hopefully we can see a few pic's of the bike after... you do what you do. Still...a very cool bike, and always will be.
Moto520
11/16/2019 8:53pm
Keep us posted on the rebuild. Hopefully something good will com from this. I get the utter disappointment over everything else.
11/17/2019 4:20am
Tbteam wrote:
1996 “McGrath replica”. Supposedly gone through and displayed for five years. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/11/14/384939/s1200_EF334F05_2EA3_4452_838D_4B11CAEB1D2E.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/11/14/384940/s1200_B5952A4E_7511_4333_9EC6_F6A3E04540B6.jpg[/img] Looks ok in the crate when it arrives. Then you notice a hole...
1996 “McGrath replica”. Supposedly gone through and displayed for five years.

Looks ok in the crate when it arrives. Then you notice a hole drilled into the intake chamber of the piston with JB Weld weeping out of it.

So you contact the seller. He agrees to buy a used cylinder. Ok.

Then you decide you better take a good look at the bike. You find:

No air filter. Or filter cage.

No fuel tank strap.

Oops! Cracked piston.

No bearings in the top shock mount.

Wait! Forget about the shock bearings. The rear shock has a bit of a problem.

Complete tear down. Bad bearings. Missing seals.

Cracked and chipped gears.

Couldn’t save the shock pivot. So corroded and locked up, it was unusable.

Want more?

The DEP pipe is off the wrong bike.

No rim locks installed.

Power valve bolt threaded in half way.

No clamps holding on either side of the carb

No nut on front motor mount

Wrong front disk protector. Fell off.

No radiator mount bushings.

Spokes on both wheels are loose. Wheels aren’t trued.

Every bolt on the bike was finger tightened or just barely tighter. I removed most things without tools.

So far, I’m out about an additional three grand over the cost of the bike.

Ultimately, after refunding some importing fees, the seller has stopped replying to my messages. Lesson learned. I jumped way too fast on this one. Thank God for eBay and Rocky Mountain ATV.
Did you buy it via pay pal? If you did, you are golden. They can withhold payment and you return the bike
500guy
11/17/2019 6:27pm
Did you buy it via pay pal? If you did, you are golden. They can withhold payment and you return the bike
So you have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know -
mikec265
11/17/2019 6:44pm
Schuster187 you are a scumbag.

When I was 12 I got screwed by a scumbag like you on my first bike that I bought with money I worked for. They only thing going for you here is you didn't screw a kid over, but I imagine at some point you probably have.

And before I forget, you are a scumbag!
MX558
11/17/2019 8:22pm
mmcmx wrote:
Something similar hapened to me with a couple Montesa Cappra I bought. I didn't know some people restore "just for show". Now I know.
There is a guy on the east coast that does that very thing . They look amazing and are shit when they arrive . A couple of my friends got screwed by him
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
11/18/2019 4:02am
Flatliner wrote:
I’d send it back, absolutely.

That’s blatant theft.
100% agree. What about "buyers remorse" i would go to court over this purchase. Blatant theft.
Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
11/18/2019 4:06am
https://hondamx.ca

HOME

Honda Canada GDR Fox Racing is the official factory Honda racing effort in Canada which is operated by Schuster Motorsports Inc. The team has been operating since the 2010 season and our riders for 2018 are Colton Facciotti (MX1) and Dylan Wright (MX2)

Boomslang
Fantasy
548th
11/18/2019 4:09am
Something ain't right about this whole deal....it smells...

Looby321
11/18/2019 4:46am
Alright, ya’ll beating a dead horse. We know the deal was sour af for the buyer, we know that the seller is an asshat. The silver lining is that the buyer actually has the funds in order to restore this bike to its former glory and hopefully we can all see the transformation via this thread. Good on you OP, for going about it the way you did, I respect that.
O&GDriller
11/18/2019 7:27am
I'd feel like a dumb ass if I had bought that without doing my due diligence. I've been a dumb ass having made similar "poor" purchases. FWIW, you asked...
Tbteam
11/18/2019 12:53pm
I wanted to let everyone here know recent developments with the bike and my interactions with the seller. I think that after a thread like this is out there for a while that I need to really be forthright with the outcome.

I've had a few conversation with Derek over the past week. During this time, not only has he been very accommodating and truthful, he has never once given me the impression that he knew of the deficiencies of the bike, nor did he ever lead me to believe that it was my problem and he was unwilling to figure things out.

As is the case with most Canadian people that I have done business with during my life, (there's been quite a few), Derek has been open and honest about this entire thing. And let me say clearly that we didn't "make a deal" contingent on me coming on here and saying nice things about him or his business.

I've been hard to reach over the past few days, but Derek made sure that I knew that he was making every effort to talk to me and work everything out to my satisfaction, which we did this afternoon. Without going into details, I think he has been very fair to me. He even offered a full refund including shipping back to Canada. I'm too far down the rebuild road, but that was a stand up thing to do.

Here's what really caught me by surprise... after we came to and agreement on what I would be happy with, and after we sort of "shook hands" over the phone, he said, "now that we have that all worked out, let me ask you one more thing." Derek then went on to ask me if there was ANYTHING else that he might do for me to make me happy. He offered to have me as a guest to their Canadian national, he offered to have me and a friend come up and basically be VIP guests and have bikes to ride and a real red carpet deal at Gopher Dunes. I didn't ask for anything, he offered because he felt terrible about what I'd experienced. I honestly don't know if I'll be able to take advantage of his offer, but I'd sure love to. I grew up near Buffalo, about an hour and a half away.

In the middle of all this drama last week, one of his immediate family members had major surgery. Serious stuff. Derek remembered that he needed to do something for me while he was at the hospital and sent funds to my PayPal, just so I would know that he hadn't forgotten.

All in all, the bike will get rebuilt within the next week or two. All new stuff and it will be great. Regardless, I have to say I'm really impressed with the actions that Derek took to make sure that I felt better about this deal. I can honestly say that he's a good guy, with a good heart. End of story.

Look for a new thread dealing with the rebirth of the McGrath bike. Thanks.

Mark
Moto520
11/18/2019 1:53pm
Nice to hear that this worked out. I'm here for the build thread from this point on.
philG
11/18/2019 2:23pm
Its not what you do wrong, its how you deal with putting it right.. Sounds like this has a good outcome, props to the seller for straightening it out.

Now lets see the finished bke
GODZILLA
11/18/2019 2:36pm
Still can't figure out how you can ignore everything that's wrong about one of your bikes, even if it's showroom only...
And I sure would be curious to know who put the bike together...
Oh well...

Post a reply to: How would you feel if you bought this bike? *Important Update*

The Latest