How would you feel if you bought this bike? *Important Update*

11/15/2019 12:24pm Edited Date/Time 11/15/2019 12:25pm
SLOWTIME wrote:
He “let it go” for $3000. Laughing
So fucking generous giving back $800 on a $4,400 ass raping. Thank goodness there's still some understanding people like this gentleman left in the world. It gives me hope that one day I can be taken advantage of as well.
snackfedbear
11/15/2019 12:28pm
I honestly can't believe people don't get a video of the bike running first. It's 2019 and we have robots in our pockets for that
SEE ARE125
11/15/2019 12:50pm
Chance1216 wrote:
Turn off his water meter at the box and fill it with concrete. That's how mad I'd be. When the city has to take a backhoe...
Turn off his water meter at the box and fill it with concrete. That's how mad I'd be. When the city has to take a backhoe and rip the box out and he gets handed the bill, he'll know how you felt
langhammx wrote:
I like your style ! B
I have a guy who burned me and I post ads all the time giving away free pumpkins at Halloween and turkeys at thanksgiving also trees...
I have a guy who burned me and I post ads all the time giving away free pumpkins at Halloween and turkeys at thanksgiving also trees at Christmas. His phone is always lit.
Same here, but I make an ad for free chickens and write the whole thing in Spanish. He doesn’t have a clue what the callers want.
zippytech
11/15/2019 12:51pm
I just cannot believe any one would sell a bike like this. That bike is the kinda junk you sell for a few hundred bucks for parts.By the time he gets it in riding condition he will have 4000 in parts.

The Shop

2F4A
11/15/2019 1:00pm
I am the person that sold Mark the bike. A buddy of mine just called me a few minutes ago to check this thread out. I...
I am the person that sold Mark the bike. A buddy of mine just called me a few minutes ago to check this thread out. I have had it since approximately 2012-2013 sitting in a shop on display.

We did the deal over the phone and email a month or two ago. A price of $4400 was agreed upon. He wasn't satisfied with the bike when it arrived so in the last couple of weeks I sent him a $400 refund, followed by another $400 refund a week later. I also ate the import/broker costs for him. After refunding him I have let the bike go for a total cost of $3000. I do believe I have done my best to make it right with Mark, he obviously feels differently and that is fair too. I do have a fair bit more money into the bike myself than what I it sold for.

I have sold other items through Vital in the past and I have bought many items through Vital as well, all without any issues. If any of you feel that the $3000 I received for the bike is unfair you are welcome to shoot me an email.

derek@hondamx.ca
You should take your piece of crap back from the guy who bought it from you. If this would happen in the dutch motocross community you would be done, finished for ever.

Sort it out with the guy.
brocster
11/15/2019 1:00pm
Shiester187. A hole drilled in the side of the cylinder with JB weld dripping out of it doesn’t fit in your museum eh? I am sure you “conveniently” left that out of the photos too??? What a shitty move. You are a man of motorcycles and knew this was a POS and failed to disclose that. In my eyes that is scum of the earth. Where the eff are your morals??? Ask yourself one question. Would you have sold that bike in that condition to any friend or relative of yours for $4000 and never said one ill thing about it?

Note to self: even shitty people have nice garages full of nice motorcycles
Flatliner
11/15/2019 1:02pm
I’d send it back, absolutely.

That’s blatant theft.
seth505
Fantasy
1271st
11/15/2019 1:03pm
Just chiming in with my 2cents...if I paid "only" $3,000 for that bike I'd still advertise your number for having free pumpkins and turkeys!
SLOWTIME
11/15/2019 1:28pm
To the Sheisty guy; would you feel comfortable purchasing the bike as it sits for $3000?
Tbteam
11/15/2019 2:23pm
To wrap things up, let me just say this... Derek is a nice guy and I'm pretty sure that he has guys in his shop that he thought were going through the bike before it left (or even when he first purchased the bike?) It was mentioned at sale time that the bike would be gone over. I'm guessing it wasn't.

Here's my bottom line: I'm a very fortunate person. I can take a pounding on this bike and learn a great deal from the experience. My buddy, Eric, and I are literally examining every square inch of this thing and making it new. When it's done, it won't be worth anywhere near what i have in it, but it will be correct and should scream.

We actually began the rebuild process today. I've already received the suspension back, and now I'm waiting on a few new parts to arrive to complete the bike.

Am I upset? Sure. Am I going to go apeshit and burn someone down for it? Nah. It's not worth the negativity in my life.

Now, that being said, if I was a 20 year old kid and this represented a few years of savings, I'd be on a plane.

Thanks everyone for your perspective. I'll post some pics when we're done.

P.A. The Scalvini pipe that I got is trick!
11/15/2019 2:25pm
brocster wrote:
Shiester187. A hole drilled in the side of the cylinder with JB weld dripping out of it doesn’t fit in your museum eh? I am sure...
Shiester187. A hole drilled in the side of the cylinder with JB weld dripping out of it doesn’t fit in your museum eh? I am sure you “conveniently” left that out of the photos too??? What a shitty move. You are a man of motorcycles and knew this was a POS and failed to disclose that. In my eyes that is scum of the earth. Where the eff are your morals??? Ask yourself one question. Would you have sold that bike in that condition to any friend or relative of yours for $4000 and never said one ill thing about it?

Note to self: even shitty people have nice garages full of nice motorcycles
I'm torn. He owned it for 7 years and either:

a) did what you said

or,

b) owned it for SEVEN years as a glorified paperweight and NEVER started it or realized there was anything wrong with it. This would be even less forgiving IMO.
BobbyM
11/15/2019 2:34pm
Tbteam wrote:
To wrap things up, let me just say this... Derek is a nice guy and I'm pretty sure that he has guys in his shop that...
To wrap things up, let me just say this... Derek is a nice guy and I'm pretty sure that he has guys in his shop that he thought were going through the bike before it left (or even when he first purchased the bike?) It was mentioned at sale time that the bike would be gone over. I'm guessing it wasn't.

Here's my bottom line: I'm a very fortunate person. I can take a pounding on this bike and learn a great deal from the experience. My buddy, Eric, and I are literally examining every square inch of this thing and making it new. When it's done, it won't be worth anywhere near what i have in it, but it will be correct and should scream.

We actually began the rebuild process today. I've already received the suspension back, and now I'm waiting on a few new parts to arrive to complete the bike.

Am I upset? Sure. Am I going to go apeshit and burn someone down for it? Nah. It's not worth the negativity in my life.

Now, that being said, if I was a 20 year old kid and this represented a few years of savings, I'd be on a plane.

Great answer from a great mx guy.
Doddy
11/15/2019 2:42pm
I am the person that sold Mark the bike. A buddy of mine just called me a few minutes ago to check this thread out. I...
I am the person that sold Mark the bike. A buddy of mine just called me a few minutes ago to check this thread out. I have had it since approximately 2012-2013 sitting in a shop on display.

We did the deal over the phone and email a month or two ago. A price of $4400 was agreed upon. He wasn't satisfied with the bike when it arrived so in the last couple of weeks I sent him a $400 refund, followed by another $400 refund a week later. I also ate the import/broker costs for him. After refunding him I have let the bike go for a total cost of $3000. I do believe I have done my best to make it right with Mark, he obviously feels differently and that is fair too. I do have a fair bit more money into the bike myself than what I it sold for.

I have sold other items through Vital in the past and I have bought many items through Vital as well, all without any issues. If any of you feel that the $3000 I received for the bike is unfair you are welcome to shoot me an email.

derek@hondamx.ca
Scumbag.
Uncle Tony
11/15/2019 2:44pm
Tbteam wrote:
To wrap things up, let me just say this... Derek is a nice guy and I'm pretty sure that he has guys in his shop that...

BobbyM wrote:
Great answer from a great mx guy.
Yup dude has integrity, right on brother
11/15/2019 2:50pm
The saying putting lipstick on a pig has never been more true. That thing is beyond clapped. Crazy how some cosmetic items and pictures taken at the correct angles can be very deceiving.
Tracktor
11/15/2019 3:42pm
Bike in pic has rim locks. So either removed before sending or different bike possibly?......
aeffertz
11/15/2019 3:54pm

derek@hondamx.ca
Doddy wrote:
Scumbag.
Yeah definitely seems like he Conveniently left out some important details knowing the bike wouldn’t be looked at in person before the sale.

Since the OP isn’t that upset, no reason to escalate things but man... That seller is a shady character.
cable
11/15/2019 4:17pm
Id like to know how he bent a shock shaft!
Adam43
11/15/2019 4:33pm
I wonder how the seller feels about this post receiving more online engagement than his teams 250 championship?

Reputations take years to build and moments to destroy.
shiftmx_22
Fantasy
629th
11/15/2019 4:58pm
aeffertz wrote:
Yeah definitely seems like he Conveniently left out some important details knowing the bike wouldn’t be looked at in person before the sale. Since the OP...
Yeah definitely seems like he Conveniently left out some important details knowing the bike wouldn’t be looked at in person before the sale.

Since the OP isn’t that upset, no reason to escalate things but man... That seller is a shady character.
Interestingly the seller is the owner/manager of Canada’s factory supported Honda team (GDR Honda).
McDuff
11/15/2019 5:13pm
What does GDR stand for, God Damn Ripoff?
11/15/2019 7:18pm
Tbteam wrote:

My vote for post of the year.
Markout
11/15/2019 7:35pm
If I was the OP I'd send this thread to Honda Canada and ask them how they can partner with a shyster like this? Maybe Honda would throw in a few parts to take the sting out of this rebuild? The seller should at least be flipping the bill for the parts.
OP stated the bike was suppose to be gone over by the sellers guys before it shipped, I hope these aren't the guys building the race bikes.
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
11/15/2019 8:56pm
langhammx wrote:
I like your style ! B
I have a guy who burned me and I post ads all the time giving away free pumpkins at Halloween and turkeys at thanksgiving also trees...
I have a guy who burned me and I post ads all the time giving away free pumpkins at Halloween and turkeys at thanksgiving also trees at Christmas. His phone is always lit.
SEE ARE125 wrote:
Same here, but I make an ad for free chickens and write the whole thing in Spanish. He doesn’t have a clue what the callers want.
Years ago a buddy of mine created a app for his phone that would use different numbers and send an endless string of text messages to another phone. He got screwed over by someone and put it to good use. The guy had tens of thousands of messages reading something along the lines of "stealing is wrong, don't do it". Shut the phone off and the texts would be there waiting for it to be turned back on. ...

He tried switching phone numbers but my buddy happened to work at a cell phone store and so just looked up the account and did it again. Laughing Eventually the thief made good and magically the text messages stopped.

Free chickens in spanish? Good lawd, you guys are awesome!!!!LaughingLaughing
milamcreek
11/15/2019 9:57pm

derek@hondamx.ca
So what you are saying is by you having more into the bike, you absolutely knew the condition of it when shipped. Man that is messed up.
You know by selling this patched up bs you put people's lives in danger. These are my brothers and should be yours as well, but I guess money drives your conscience asshole.
Larry Shirey
Athens TX
11/15/2019 10:21pm
It looks like the bike came from a major collection or a restoration shop based on the bike with the bikes in the background. Any heads up on who it was so no one else gets burned? This was a con.
olddude
11/15/2019 10:38pm
Tbteam wrote:
1996 “McGrath replica”. Supposedly gone through and displayed for five years. [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/11/14/384939/s1200_EF334F05_2EA3_4452_838D_4B11CAEB1D2E.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/11/14/384940/s1200_B5952A4E_7511_4333_9EC6_F6A3E04540B6.jpg[/img] Looks ok in the crate when it arrives. Then you notice a hole...
1996 “McGrath replica”. Supposedly gone through and displayed for five years.

Looks ok in the crate when it arrives. Then you notice a hole drilled into the intake chamber of the piston with JB Weld weeping out of it.

So you contact the seller. He agrees to buy a used cylinder. Ok.

Then you decide you better take a good look at the bike. You find:

No air filter. Or filter cage.

No fuel tank strap.

Oops! Cracked piston.

No bearings in the top shock mount.

Wait! Forget about the shock bearings. The rear shock has a bit of a problem.

Complete tear down. Bad bearings. Missing seals.

Cracked and chipped gears.

Couldn’t save the shock pivot. So corroded and locked up, it was unusable.

Want more?

The DEP pipe is off the wrong bike.

No rim locks installed.

Power valve bolt threaded in half way.

No clamps holding on either side of the carb

No nut on front motor mount

Wrong front disk protector. Fell off.

No radiator mount bushings.

Spokes on both wheels are loose. Wheels aren’t trued.

Every bolt on the bike was finger tightened or just barely tighter. I removed most things without tools.

So far, I’m out about an additional three grand over the cost of the bike.

Ultimately, after refunding some importing fees, the seller has stopped replying to my messages. Lesson learned. I jumped way too fast on this one. Thank God for eBay and Rocky Mountain ATV.
So pissed off that I would quote a bunch of pictures! For No Fucking reason!
Sorry TB that sucks
Spooner
11/16/2019 1:27am
It’s easy to see who has class and who doesn’t by this thread.

Post a reply to: How would you feel if you bought this bike? *Important Update*

The Latest