How will Covid affect the 2021 SX Championships?

DonM
A few riders have admitted they recently have had/tested positive for Covid with another top contender posting a cryptic tweet hinting that he has it now....it’s probable that Covid will play a part in these championships possibly beginning this weekend...
|
motomike137
1/13/2021 6:33am
It sucks but it is a likely reality. Hopefully we don't get to the end of this series with question marks hanging over it because rider x missed races. If I was one of these guys I would be literally living in a bubble with massive protocols around who I come in contact with. Fingers crossed!
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/13/2021 6:37am
Are you talking about this:

I think it's more of a joke than anything.

As far as how it'll affect the championship, no different than a rider missing a round because of getting sick from food poisoning, the flu, a minor injury, etc.

Ferrandis had it, so did Tickle.

The Shop

LungButter
1/13/2021 6:41am
Some guys are gonna miss races because of it for sure. It’s happened in basically every other sport.
DonM
1/13/2021 6:45am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Are you talking about this: 2020 Yelp reviews are irrelevant. You can’t taste shit when you got covid— Jason Anderson (@elhombre_21) January 12, 2021 I think...

As far as how it'll affect the championship, no different than a rider missing a round because of getting sick from food poisoning, the flu, a minor injury, etc.

Troll also had it...Hope that Anderson’s tweet is a joke....a positive test will more than likely take them out for more than one race with 3 races in a week at some rounds...
SCC
1/13/2021 6:48am
Privateer wins the title lol
neysbo
1/13/2021 6:53am Edited Date/Time 1/13/2021 6:55am
-MAVERICK- wrote:
Are you talking about this: 2020 Yelp reviews are irrelevant. You can’t taste shit when you got covid— Jason Anderson (@elhombre_21) January 12, 2021 I think...

DonM wrote:
Troll also had it...Hope that Anderson’s tweet is a joke....a positive test will more than likely take them out for more than one race with 3...
Troll also had it...Hope that Anderson’s tweet is a joke....a positive test will more than likely take them out for more than one race with 3 races in a week at some rounds...
The difference is that with a positive COVID test, you can feel fine and they will not let you race. With the flu or minor injury the rider still has the ability to decide on his own if he wants to try and race or not.

It seems that for this year they should consider counting the best 14 of 16 races if COVID ends up affecting a lot of riders.

AE448
1/13/2021 6:59am
These guys have got to knuckle down with their bubbles and limit their contact with anyone else outside of that. We've already seen F1 drivers, moto GP riders etc. miss races because of catching Covid. This season it could well be the difference between winning the championship and losing it (Jorge Prado case in point).
peltier626
1/13/2021 7:01am
Hopefully it doesn't. Something needs to be in place though. Look at the reschedules and player substitutions in foolsball and other sports. Upsets will happen. As they say "stamp it".
CPR
1/13/2021 7:24am
Besides Tickle and Ferrandis, have any others had it?
Prado said it affected his aerobic fitness longer term.
DonM
1/13/2021 7:27am
CPR wrote:
AMart has had it
-MAVERICK-
Fantasy
3739th
1/13/2021 7:29am
CPR wrote:
I wouldn't be surprised if more riders had it, but we didn't hear about it simply because they weren't bigger names.

Alex Martin had it (mentioned above).
Spudinki45
Fantasy
2988th
1/13/2021 7:30am
If I were these riders I'd be taking as much precautions as possible. Wouldn't want to throw away my whole season over a positive test I know I could've avoided even of it doesn't affect me.
MyBobbym
1/13/2021 7:58am
DonM wrote:
A few riders have admitted they recently have had/tested positive for Covid with another top contender posting a cryptic tweet hinting that he has it now....it’s...
A few riders have admitted they recently have had/tested positive for Covid with another top contender posting a cryptic tweet hinting that he has it now....it’s probable that Covid will play a part in these championships possibly beginning this weekend...
Adversely, I'd say. 😁
crt32
1/13/2021 8:39am
Are there standards on the test? I.e the number of cycles ran? PCR vs Rapid? It is an important topic that teams and supercross should not overlook and a great opportunity for journalist to report the process to the fans. It is not as simple as just positive/negative like many believe.
DonM
1/13/2021 9:22am
crt32 wrote:
Are there standards on the test? I.e the number of cycles ran? PCR vs Rapid? It is an important topic that teams and supercross should not...
Are there standards on the test? I.e the number of cycles ran? PCR vs Rapid? It is an important topic that teams and supercross should not overlook and a great opportunity for journalist to report the process to the fans. It is not as simple as just positive/negative like many believe.
My understanding is that they are PCR and everyone will be tested days before and if anyone tests positive on the team then the rider/team will not be allowed to race.
MX304
Fantasy
3763rd
1/13/2021 12:46pm
CPR wrote:
Cooper Webb most llikely had it at the start of last season.
hamncheeze
1/13/2021 1:12pm
CPR wrote:
MX304 wrote:
Cooper Webb most llikely had it at the start of last season.
Or the particularly infectious B-influenza that was circulating in winter of 2019/20 in the northern hemisphere....
sandtrack315
1/13/2021 1:16pm
If you follow pro-racers on social media, you know they are not the most covid-cautious group of people. At the same time, even in "hot-spot" places, only 1 in 25 to 50 people have it at a given time. Maybe it won't impact the championship at all, or maybe we will have multiple top riders get it. It's all probabilistic.

I am looking forward to most of the 2021 sport seasons, where athletes are vaccinated and the teams play every game with a full roster. Supercross is a bit early for riders to be getting vaccinated, but I would not be surprised if a factory team was able to get their hands on a few doses for riders. I work at a hospital and am still waiting for mine, but I work in a lab, not with patients.

I will say it's odd that riders can't race with covid. The chances of them giving it to another rider or staff on the track is close to zero. The odds of them infecting the entire team and staff chatting in the semi is basically guaranteed.
Jeff alessi
1/13/2021 1:54pm Edited Date/Time 1/13/2021 2:22pm
Non of you understand what’s going on, alot of riders have gone out of there way to go and make sure they do get it! And this is because, once you have it, you do not have to take another test for a further 90 days. So a lot of riders either had it or made a way to look like they have had it and already did the procedure.
mxjeff575
1/13/2021 2:56pm
Non of you understand what’s going on, alot of riders have gone out of there way to go and make sure they do get it! And...
Non of you understand what’s going on, alot of riders have gone out of there way to go and make sure they do get it! And this is because, once you have it, you do not have to take another test for a further 90 days. So a lot of riders either had it or made a way to look like they have had it and already did the procedure.
I was wondering this. Understanding that covid affects some people really bad, in general, young healthy people have very mild symptoms. Once you've had it you have immunity for a while (timeframes vary and are still being learned but i've read everything from 3 months to many years). I could see where having it in December would be an advantage going into the season. I had it in November, mild symptoms, and mentally it is nice to know i don't have to worry about it for a while.
I also wonder, vaccines are being given, how much money would it take to get the vaccine (if that's even possible to divert a dose). My wife works at a hospital and has already gotten the vaccine.
EngIceDave
1/13/2021 2:56pm
With the super tight schedule and mid week races, a positive test can have you miss almost half the season
DonM
1/13/2021 3:11pm
Found it interesting that Eli and Ken took a private plane together to Houston today...probably to stay away from traveling crowds...
ocscottie
1/13/2021 3:32pm
DonM wrote:
Found it interesting that Eli and Ken took a private plane together to Houston today...probably to stay away from traveling crowds...
Thats an interesting duo, good on them.

Post a reply to: How will Covid affect the 2021 SX Championships?

The Latest