How well does powdercoat hold up on AL frames?

Pirate421
Edited Date/Time 2/11/2019 3:08pm
I have always been partial to and preferred the stocker is better/cleaner look, but recently, have been kicking around the idea of pc my YZ250 AL frame. For those who have done it, does it hold up well to abuse? Is there any special methods or tricks to apply the pc to Aluminum vs a steel frame? Any bad or good experiences? Thanks here’s the two bikes that have really kicked this off for me

|
BobPA
2/10/2019 1:56pm Edited Date/Time 2/10/2019 2:08pm
I would worry about charging your phone first.

PC holds up fine for aluminum, Just take it to a reputable PC shop.

The Shop

2/10/2019 2:10pm
BobPA wrote:

The right shop will know how to prep the frame. Thats the key i think. As long as it sticks well, will be as good as steel.
2/10/2019 2:12pm
I hard anodized my frame and swingarm and it’s held up great over the last few years
Looby321
2/10/2019 2:21pm
BobPA wrote:

Also, turn off your location bud....big brother is tracking you! I’ve had good luck with the powder coat on my ‘05 yz125 I had. Back then I had frame guards and grip tape applied liberally along the frame so my boots wouldn’t rub it off, looked nice for a couple years. Had a good skid plate to protect against roost....upstate NY tracks are pretty rocky.
Pirate421
2/10/2019 2:28pm
Thanks guys feel free to post some picks of how your bikes came out or any nice examples!
HazemG
2/10/2019 7:03pm
Anyone else I can ignore other than those who were already kind enough to write a thoughtful answer?
KDXGarage
2/10/2019 10:02pm
Look around the internet to find the few "after" pictures where the bike has been ridden 50 hours.

There are 1,000,000 "fresh from the oven" powder coated pictures, but VERY FEW showing how well it held up to normal abuse.
NoMuff2Tuff
2/11/2019 3:05am
The prep work is most important also the quality of powder. You want to make sure you use the right media to blast the part, it should feel rough and scratchy so the powder has something to bite into once it melts and cures. I've had plenty parts powder coated over the years and from experience a part blasted with a smoother media like glass bead can and will chip. Personally I will glass bead blast the part first to remove anything on the surface to get it clean then re-blast it with black aluminum oxide 50-100 grit at lower pressure just to get the right surface texture then clean it with acetone. Never had a chipping issue this way on steel or aluminum. No matter what powder coated parts on a motocross bike will get scratched up and dull from roost and whatever else is thrown at it. I've used the blue color polishing bar dissolved in mineral spirits to help remove some of the scratching, dullness and bring back the luster. Hope this helps!!
rbspecial138
Fantasy
955th
2/11/2019 11:29am
Okay to start off, My frame, swingarm, subframe and motor mounts are all powder coated black... My best advice is definitely to get as full coverage of a 'mx-style' plastic skidplate because it is going to prevent chipping the longest. My skidplate wore off the powdercoat where it rubbed the frame pretty quick, so it looks like shit without it, but it looks pretty good with the skidplate on. I would also definitely recommend frame guards/grip tape, and clear vinyl wherever you rub the bike. My next piece of advice is that anything that flexes (Motor Mounts) or has a hole in it, (Subframe Mounting Points) is going to be the first to start to chip. I also would recommend not powdercoating your swingarm because adjacent to each weld, where it flexes the most, will begin to flake off in that area. The bottom of the swingarm also looks pretty ragged after 60+ hours. This is just my experience, and I'm sure different bikes have different tendencies to wear areas more or less quickly than others.
Adam43
2/11/2019 11:56am
Looks fine on a garage queen, otherwise don't bother.
MOTORSPORTFOX
2/11/2019 2:24pm
I've been doing it for a few years on my bikes using a slightly textured powdercoat, with great luck. Pre-heating the frame helps. Skid plate and frame grip tape doesnt hurt to protect it from normal wear and tear.

newmann
2/11/2019 2:35pm
I have had aluminum hubs, engine cases, misc. small parts and even magnesium components powder coated and it has all held up excellent for many years. Any legitimate powder coating company should know what is required to give you a satisfactory finish. The only thing preventing me from putting it on vintage race bike frames (steel) is that if and when future repairs are needed it is always easier to remove automotive paint than it is to remove powder. Tough stuff, it is. Once it is powder coated, there really is no turning back. You can have it powder coated again in the future, but it will never be back to a nice brushed aluminum frame again.
FahQ
2/11/2019 2:53pm
The real question is... does it protect it from lime damage?
Powder coat will hold up better than raw aluminum, or anodized aluminum
Pirate421
2/11/2019 3:06pm
Thanks for all the responses so far. Lots of good info and things to take into consideration. Another thing I’ve been throwing around, and I know I’ll sound crazy, but I’ve been thinking of buying a new spare frame. I’d like to keep this bike for a long time and new frames aren’t too expensive so I could pc one and then have a clean stock frame as a choice later on down the road. I rebuilt a 1989 cr250 and one of the things I wish I could have had was a clean new frame to work with. Who knows how much longer these yz’s will be made for.

If I did order another frame, I’ve heard that the dealer can’t stamp the vin without sending the neck of the old frame out. This way there aren’t two titled frames with the same vin, which make sense I guess. Anyone have any experience with this? I don’t want to buy used frames because you never know what you’ll get, stripped bolt holes, dents cracks, etc

Post a reply to: How well does powdercoat hold up on AL frames?

The Latest