How was WW Ranch in Person and any Attendance Estimates?

6/24/2019 3:30pm Edited Date/Time 6/26/2019 2:56pm
Sorry if this was already covered, did not see it if it was. The racing was great, but it looked like actually seeing much of anything in person would have been very difficult, between the flattish track and completely flat viewing areas, tall banners and lack of many grandstands. The track was actually really fun to watch (on TV).

Anyone know if they plan to go back to Florida next year?
|
77Moto
6/24/2019 3:41pm
I wish they told the gate amount and dollar amount like most boxing and MMA promotions do at the beginning of every post presser.

And they normally tell what the estimated PPV Numbers are until they get the final figures. Plus they disclose all the winnings and bonuses as well as how many medical transports there were, even before the interviews start.

NateDawg
6/24/2019 3:41pm
I was there and sitting in what I would say was a very good spectator spot and the viewing was still garbage... It's just completely flat and the track is ever elevated above the surrounding area in a lot of places.

My main take away from going was that it's an awesome facility with a track that I very much want to ride. But as a spectator it wasn't worth going IMO.
kkawboy14
6/24/2019 3:51pm
I could see half the track perfectly from the side I was on and when I went to the other side you could see that half of the track perfectly fine.

Looked like 30,000 people to me.

The big jumps need to be on the outside of the track in 2 different areas. Then you could see the whole track from either end
6/24/2019 4:06pm
Like I said in my review thread, I don't care all that much about seeing the whole track as I'm going to watch it later. I do agree that the view in person is not all that great, but I will tell you this...Junior will fix it... somehow.

The Shop

clem
6/24/2019 4:08pm
It seemed like at least 20k people there. The place is very nice and large. Looking at the sat map, I figured parking would be between the main road and the track but it was further out in the cow pastures that included land mines! They did offer shuttles which was a plus. The spectating portion was not good, Freestone was better.
I would like to know how much of an emphasis DC puts on the spectating aspect of a national track since there are better tracks in the south for that. Not trying to put WW down at all the place is awesome.
KennyT
Fantasy
479th
6/24/2019 4:17pm
Always seem to be comments about “seeing the whole track” It’s a National,
Good luck with that. For the past 40 years I’ve been hiking National tracks to get to see different sections, it’s just what is normally required. You want to see the whole track then you go to a SX
Mr. Info
6/24/2019 4:21pm
You ask questions you will never get an accurate count. There are paying customers and comp customers and paid but no show so just figure they had a lot of people and if they don't say they are moving the race it was a success.
kawa38
6/24/2019 4:22pm Edited Date/Time 6/24/2019 4:24pm
Had a blast, viewing from the WW club wasn’t great. Site map when I got the tickets showed it on other side if I had known I’d have got something diff. Only real complain was the food . For 400 a ticket I would have expected food all day . Our tent was out before we got there. On a side note the a/c was great
kawa38
6/24/2019 4:23pm
6/24/2019 4:26pm
Track was awesome. Like most everything TV doesn’t do it justice. Parking was great and no major delays getting in and out of the facility. I was also impressed with the overall event organization - as good as it gets IMO.

But, viewing wasn’t very good at all. Maybe even terrible. Most viewing areas you could only see one or two sections of the track - for reasons mentioned above. I paid the $400 for Ranch Club VIP - partly for preferred viewing area and partly for A/C tent and I’m glad I did for the A/C but the viewing area sucked bad. I ended up roaming around the track all 4 motos. I would watch 2 laps in each section and then move to another section. And then come back to the tent in between motos to cool down and get some water.

Attendance seemed really good, but I have no way to estimate it.
6/24/2019 4:30pm
KennyT wrote:
Always seem to be comments about “seeing the whole track” It’s a National, Good luck with that. For the past 40 years I’ve been hiking National...
Good luck with that. For the past 40 years I’ve been hiking National tracks to get to see different sections, it’s just what is normally required. You want to see the whole track then you go to a SX
There are a good number of national tracks where you can see 90% of the track from many locations (Hangtown, Thunder Valley, High Point, etc.) That is part of the advantage of having some natural elevation to work with I suppose. Still seems like it was a great event, setting aside the tough weather conditions
AngryBear
6/24/2019 4:33pm Edited Date/Time 6/24/2019 4:35pm
KennyT wrote:
Always seem to be comments about “seeing the whole track” It’s a National, Good luck with that. For the past 40 years I’ve been hiking National...
true. but there is more variance to it than outdoors = hard and sx = easy

1) see the whole track from one spot

2) ability to see multiple sections and have some ability to follow a race

3) sit in front of one turn/table/etc, thats your racetrack

flat tracks offer up #3

troy. freestone. etc. great racing. poor in person spectating.

none of this matters if TV viewership takes precedent over facility attendance. if attendance matters, seemingly it would...
JustMX
6/24/2019 4:37pm
KennyT wrote:
You make a good point.

The only place you can see more than about 60% of the track at redbud is the top row of the bleachers by the monzi wall.

People talk about kenworthy's fondly, but it really sucked for spectating.

Hell, budd's creek is arguably the most spectator friendly track in the entire series and the crowd there has been falling off every year.
clem
6/24/2019 4:40pm
Like I said in my review thread, I don't care all that much about seeing the whole track as I'm going to watch it later. I...
Like I said in my review thread, I don't care all that much about seeing the whole track as I'm going to watch it later. I do agree that the view in person is not all that great, but I will tell you this...Junior will fix it... somehow.
I'm sure that he could do somthing similar to an outdoor pavilion by digging another pond and using that dirt. The area closest to the tree line opposite from the starting gate would probably be a good spot.
oceantrav
6/24/2019 5:06pm
They posted 19,500 fans attended I think
6/24/2019 5:19pm
oceantrav wrote:
They posted 19,500 fans attended I think
That seems about right. When I finally met Guy B., I asked him what he thought. I mean, he goes to every national every year. He felt like it was less than 20,000. I'm only certain that it was more than 15,000.
DB97
6/24/2019 5:32pm

6/24/2019 5:42pm
DB97 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/24/356455/s1200_Screenshot_2019_06_24_20_31_57.jpg[/img]

Thanks for that. I'll be returning next year. They so improved the entrance/exit situation that it's an easy decision. I don't know about doing $500 tickets again, but probably $300 or $400. The air conditioning is worth it.

Would also like to give props to the GP guys. That ticket was $400 and the seating and food were a tad better. Don't know who they hired to cater that, but that food was top line. I like the way they gave us access behind the start. That was very cool. Plus, the GP riders just strolled through there. I got to chat with Febrve when he just walked on by smiling.
DB97
6/24/2019 5:44pm
DB97 wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/06/24/356455/s1200_Screenshot_2019_06_24_20_31_57.jpg[/img]

Thanks for that. I'll be returning next year. They so improved the entrance/exit situation that it's an easy decision. I don't know about doing $500 tickets...
Thanks for that. I'll be returning next year. They so improved the entrance/exit situation that it's an easy decision. I don't know about doing $500 tickets again, but probably $300 or $400. The air conditioning is worth it.

Would also like to give props to the GP guys. That ticket was $400 and the seating and food were a tad better. Don't know who they hired to cater that, but that food was top line. I like the way they gave us access behind the start. That was very cool. Plus, the GP riders just strolled through there. I got to chat with Febrve when he just walked on by smiling.
Took me 1:15 to get out of the parking lot lol. Didnt move for an hour then out in 15 not sure why.
6/24/2019 6:22pm
DB97 wrote:

Thanks for that. I'll be returning next year. They so improved the entrance/exit situation that it's an easy decision. I don't know about doing $500 tickets...

DB97 wrote:
Took me 1:15 to get out of the parking lot lol. Didnt move for an hour then out in 15 not sure why.
Really? We stayed and watched the 450 podium and casually strolled back to our cars and got out on Otis Road in 15 minutes. But we went north to Georgia. I gather you went left back towards Jacksonville. I can see where that would get jacked up at Beaver Street and Chaffee.
DB97
6/24/2019 6:26pm

DB97 wrote:
Really? We stayed and watched the 450 podium and casually strolled back to our cars and got out on Otis Road in 15 minutes. But we...
Really? We stayed and watched the 450 podium and casually strolled back to our cars and got out on Otis Road in 15 minutes. But we went north to Georgia. I gather you went left back towards Jacksonville. I can see where that would get jacked up at Beaver Street and Chaffee.
Got stuck in the lot for an hour was smooth sailing once we got onto Otis. I left after the last moto and just walked normal.
6/24/2019 6:30pm
Probably was an accident up the road on Beaver and Chaffee. Gone by the time you got there.
McG194
6/24/2019 6:35pm
I camped there starting Thursday and stayed all weekend. I have nothing but rave reviews for the people and facility. Sure it is flat and they could use more stands and possibly some video screens but I'm sure all that will come in time.

What I do know is people were driving by every hour it seemed to dump the trash barrels out which there seemed to be 1 per every 2 campsites. The porta johns were plentiful and they were cleaning them often. The camp site looked like a freaking golf course the grass was so nice. Every employee or track worker I asked a question of was helpful and no one had an asshole attitude.

As much better this race was than the MXGP I can't wait to see how they do next year.

My only beef and it's a minor one is the cell signal sucked balls. Should have some wi-fi so we can post on social media to help promote the race.
Motohead279
6/24/2019 7:24pm
DB97 wrote:

DB97 wrote:
After getting there at 8:30 and baking all day, I wanted to beat the traffic jam and left halfway through the last moto.

As far as attendance I was saying it seemed there were more people at the GP in 2017 than there were at the national.
ML512
Fantasy
36th
6/25/2019 4:34am
My guess from being on site was 18,000...so at least I was close to their estimated number. I hear dover the weekend they have a three year contract for the race, I’m curious how the weather and turnout would be if it was late in the season.
6/25/2019 4:56am
ML512 wrote:
My guess from being on site was 18,000...so at least I was close to their estimated number. I hear dover the weekend they have a three...
My guess from being on site was 18,000...so at least I was close to their estimated number. I hear dover the weekend they have a three year contract for the race, I’m curious how the weather and turnout would be if it was late in the season.
It's that hot May-October 31, so it wouldn't matter where it falls in the schedule. It's still hot.
biscuit11
6/25/2019 5:05am

DB97 wrote:
After getting there at 8:30 and baking all day, I wanted to beat the traffic jam and left halfway through the last moto. As far as...
After getting there at 8:30 and baking all day, I wanted to beat the traffic jam and left halfway through the last moto.

As far as attendance I was saying it seemed there were more people at the GP in 2017 than there were at the national.
I felt the opposite. There seemed to be a ton more people at the national. If it would have been the gp layout with 1 tunnel there would have been no more room in infield to walk.
ktmfun219
Fantasy
486th
6/25/2019 5:48am
Having attended well over 25 Nats starting with Trans Am events you know my age. I am not a complainer yet responding to the OP question with our experience at WW Ranch.

Positive

1. Access to interstate- best I have experienced.
2. Lodging- cheap, cheap at $65 a night.
3. General facility layout- awesome

Negative

1. GA tickets- internal track viewing is poor at 40%. Once the allowed EZ ups were assembled at internal fence lines viewing went to shit.
2.Lack of available food and fluids. National fast food vendor had zero fluids available at 1 PM. Closed on Sunday.
3.Zero large scale mist stations available for spectators. Amazing safety factor.
4. Staff UTV employees used and blocked the spectator walk through tunnels every 15 minutes. Unacceptable safety.

Summary- WW ranch next year- will NOT attend

Bring back Muddy Creek. We will drive 2-3 hours further to multiple Nats.
motomike137
6/25/2019 6:09am Edited Date/Time 6/25/2019 6:09am
KennyT wrote:
This is my opinion as well. I expect to move around and watch from different vantage points. I never had a problem with Troy Ohio either. I would spend all day watching from different spots. I enjoy doing that rather than just being in one spot all day. Now we have the added luxury of the large screens at some venues, maybe they can afford to add a couple of those to their budget before next year.

Post a reply to: How was WW Ranch in Person and any Attendance Estimates?

The Latest