How to replace strap holder on Fox Instinct?

Edited Date/Time 3/14/2018 2:14pm
So I've had 2 little crashes a few weeks ago and when I got off the track I noticed one of the strap holders on my Fox Instincts was broken. You get replacement ones in the box when you buy a set of boots so I already have the part but I can't seem to get it in. I've been trying to put pressure on it but the thing just won't go in. Anyone who has done this before and knows there's some kinda technique to it?

The boot:

Strap holder I'm trying to get in the boot:

|
newmann
3/12/2018 3:36pm
I installed mine a year or so ago. Can't remember what the trick was. But, I did it so it should be easy for you!

Can you warm the boot with a hair dryer (or carefully with a heat gun) to make it a little more pliable? I think I remember cussing a little, That always helps.
bmartens
3/12/2018 5:40pm
I've had that happen on one of mine. I believe I pressed it in from the backside.
3/13/2018 12:12am
bmartens wrote:
I've had that happen on one of mine. I believe I pressed it in from the backside.
Yea, from the backside is the only way to do it. But the hole is just so freakin tight.

The Shop

Tuna
3/13/2018 5:38am
I use a heat gun or hair dryer. Works perfect every time.
3/14/2018 10:48am Edited Date/Time 3/14/2018 10:56am
newmann wrote:
I installed mine a year or so ago. Can't remember what the trick was. But, I did it so it should be easy for you! Can...
I installed mine a year or so ago. Can't remember what the trick was. But, I did it so it should be easy for you!

Can you warm the boot with a hair dryer (or carefully with a heat gun) to make it a little more pliable? I think I remember cussing a little, That always helps.
Cussing wasn't the problem, believe me....
The material on the top around the fox logo is pretty stiff. I can try to heat it up a little bit I guess.

EDIT: I got er done. Don't know how I did it, but it's in. Dang, I better not break any of those anymore.
newmann
3/14/2018 2:14pm
newmann wrote:
I installed mine a year or so ago. Can't remember what the trick was. But, I did it so it should be easy for you! Can...

Cussing wasn't the problem, believe me.... The material on the top around the fox logo is pretty stiff. I can try to heat it up a...
Cussing wasn't the problem, believe me....
The material on the top around the fox logo is pretty stiff. I can try to heat it up a little bit I guess.

EDIT: I got er done. Don't know how I did it, but it's in. Dang, I better not break any of those anymore.
The original ones on my boots that broke did not have the Fox logo on them. The replacements however did. Guessing they improved it after a few complaints.
ferrellmc
4/8/2023 8:47am
bmartens wrote:
Yea, from the backside is the only way to do it. But the hole is just so freakin tight.

I know this is an old topic but I was successful by inserting into the backside, start inserting on the side that is toward the buckle, add some WD-40. Place a small screw driver into the back part away from the buckle and get the plastic piece "seated" at the buckle side, from there some leverage will stretch the opening enough for it to snap in. 

swordfish
4/8/2023 10:00am

Worst boots I've ever owned. Absolute junk. Sorry I'm no help.

Well thanks for the awesome contribution to the thread😂🤦‍♂️

swordfish
4/8/2023 10:27am
bmartens wrote:
ferrellmc wrote:
I know this is an old topic but I was successful by inserting into the backside, start inserting on the side that is toward the buckle...

I know this is an old topic but I was successful by inserting into the backside, start inserting on the side that is toward the buckle, add some WD-40. Place a small screw driver into the back part away from the buckle and get the plastic piece "seated" at the buckle side, from there some leverage will stretch the opening enough for it to snap in. 

A hair dryer is all the heat you need to slip it on.

ferrellmc
4/9/2023 5:52am

My only issue besides losing a strap is the pressure it puts on my ankles (size 9). I tried padding, extra socks, neoprene ankle wraps, nothing worked until I cut two pieces of wood about 4" and put it across the ankle area in the boots while stored.

austin_bo
Fantasy
239th
4/9/2023 6:24am
bmartens wrote:

03E68E7E-00DD-4EEC-B8DE-FEFEE5D483B0.jpeg?VersionId=xyak2Uap

swordfish
4/9/2023 6:29am

ferrellmc wrote:
My only issue besides losing a strap is the pressure it puts on my ankles (size 9). I tried padding, extra socks, neoprene ankle wraps, nothing...

My only issue besides losing a strap is the pressure it puts on my ankles (size 9). I tried padding, extra socks, neoprene ankle wraps, nothing worked until I cut two pieces of wood about 4" and put it across the ankle area in the boots while stored.

Not all boots work for everyone. I can’t wear Tech 10’s because if the bootie support. Can’t wear Sidi because my feet are too wide. 

tiddlermx23
4/9/2023 6:59am

I would insert it as much as I can from the front and then use a small flat blade screwdriver to work it the rest of the way in. Now if i could only get the other cuff on. Damn stripped recessed allen heads piss me off.20230325 170330

Post a reply to: How to replace strap holder on Fox Instinct?

The Latest