How to make your bike pretty for little $$$$

11/5/2014 7:14pm
#991 wrote:
Will you post a pic of your SOS job on your ignition/clutch covers? Interested to see what they look like!
pCp 252
Fantasy
2541st
11/5/2014 7:22pm
New carb vent hoses are cheap and I think make a big difference.
GoonSquad250x
Fantasy
4018th
11/5/2014 7:22pm
#991 wrote:
Will you post a pic of your SOS job on your ignition/clutch covers? Interested to see what they look like!
Me too!
KGAspeed
11/5/2014 7:39pm Edited Date/Time 11/6/2014 8:06am
Here's what i do. I'm a meticulous neat-freak and like cleaning stuff. I won't repeat what others have said above.

Strip the bike down as far as you can / have time for. It matters and makes a difference. Hand wash all of the plastic.

Use Mr. Clean on the tires before power washing. Use a lotion-type hand cleaner on the rubber hoses (NOT with pumice). It'll make the rubber parts look like new.

On aluminum that needs to have a brushed look, I use 80 or 120g sand paper wet with WD40.

As far as your side covers (ignition and clutch), I personally would remove them, sand, then paint them. Bead-blasting, powder-coating, etc. are all good ideas, but a quick sand & paint is way cheaper and quicker.

The biggest element is to make the bike shiny and clean, but not oily-shiny (armor-all or a silicon spray looks fake). My secret is to buff the plastic with an automotive buffer (a good one, not the orbital cheap plastic buffers). Its unreal how good the plastic can look with nothing more than a buffer and a wool pad; no polish necessary. There is a trick to it in regards to technique, but it can make the plastic look drastically better than new.

Like-new cleanliness IS in the details, but its actually more about making the prominent parts shine to overshadow the elements that show some wear.

As far as photos, I saw a few people above suggest "taking in direct sunlight". I would do the complete opposite. Direct sunlight is terrible. It over-exposes everything and washes out the image. Shoot it during "magic hour". The last hour of sunlight (roughly). In the shade. Trust me. Not a dark shaded area, but in a nice diffuse light. NOT in direct sunlight.

The Shop

11/5/2014 7:50pm
1. Spray paint fenders black.
2. Make sure that potential buyers know that your bike "has power bands in every gear".
3.sit back and wait for cash to roll in.
Austin824
11/5/2014 8:17pm
1. Spray paint fenders black. 2. Make sure that potential buyers know that your bike "has power bands in every gear". 3.sit back and wait for...
1. Spray paint fenders black.
2. Make sure that potential buyers know that your bike "has power bands in every gear".
3.sit back and wait for cash to roll in.
Should I put a metal mulish sticker on it and make grab holes to ?
mx216
11/5/2014 8:36pm
To do a good job you need to tear the bike down to the frame to be honest. But anything aluminum needs to be blasted and then scotchbrited followed with sos pads. Its a lot work but can make a rough bike look fresh or keep a new bike looking better than new. My 2014 250f has almost 30 hours and this is how she still looks.

11/5/2014 8:39pm Edited Date/Time 4/3/2015 4:04am
#991 wrote:
Me too!
scooterB
11/5/2014 8:44pm
KGAspeed wrote:
Here's what i do. I'm a meticulous neat-freak and like cleaning stuff. I won't repeat what others have said above. Strip the bike down as far...
Here's what i do. I'm a meticulous neat-freak and like cleaning stuff. I won't repeat what others have said above.

Strip the bike down as far as you can / have time for. It matters and makes a difference. Hand wash all of the plastic.

Use Mr. Clean on the tires before power washing. Use a lotion-type hand cleaner on the rubber hoses (NOT with pumice). It'll make the rubber parts look like new.

On aluminum that needs to have a brushed look, I use 80 or 120g sand paper wet with WD40.

As far as your side covers (ignition and clutch), I personally would remove them, sand, then paint them. Bead-blasting, powder-coating, etc. are all good ideas, but a quick sand & paint is way cheaper and quicker.

The biggest element is to make the bike shiny and clean, but not oily-shiny (armor-all or a silicon spray looks fake). My secret is to buff the plastic with an automotive buffer (a good one, not the orbital cheap plastic buffers). Its unreal how good the plastic can look with nothing more than a buffer and a wool pad; no polish necessary. There is a trick to it in regards to technique, but it can make the plastic look drastically better than new.

Like-new cleanliness IS in the details, but its actually more about making the prominent parts shine to overshadow the elements that show some wear.

As far as photos, I saw a few people above suggest "taking in direct sunlight". I would do the complete opposite. Direct sunlight is terrible. It over-exposes everything and washes out the image. Shoot it during "magic hour". The last hour of sunlight (roughly). In the shade. Trust me. Not a dark shaded area, but in a nice diffuse light. NOT in direct sunlight.

this man, listen to him
mx216
11/5/2014 8:47pm
Polish can work too in the right circumstances. But a bike with a polished frame and roached out wheels and with fork tubes that look like they went through Baja 1000 don't really go together. This was a ton of work but Weston's Vegas bike was on point with the polish Smile

11/5/2014 8:51pm
Does anyone use Brillo Pads on the lower part of the frame where boots rub? I hit that area every time I was the bike with one, it removes all the boot marks and makes it look pretty good. Is this a decent technique?
Cancerman
11/5/2014 9:22pm
Soda blast, media blast, or wire wheel the Ignition and clutch cover, then rhino line paint them, they look like the factory covers, if you have the name on them, scrape off the paint on the letters, and buff them by hand. Looks trick, makes them stand out, for under $10.
pecu_83
11/6/2014 12:30am
I´ve never been a bling guy, but this thread makes me want to strip my bike down and make it look like new.

I was selling my 2010 RM-Z 450 two years ago. It had 90 hours on it. It was rock solid as far as technical stuff goes. It had an hour meter from new and I kept a journal where I marked every ride and maintenance job. I had overhauled the engine (piston, crank, bearings, camchain, gasket set etc..) it had new tires, chain, sprockets, brake discs and pads, I had the suspension done, linkage bearings, everything! But it had original plastics with original graphics so it showed the wear. I was selling it for a loooong time. I told every caller that it looked like crap but was mechanically sound, Everyone said that ok it was not a biggie, but when they arrived to see the bike, the first thing they would say was that it looked worse than in the pics.

I eventually got the bike sold, had I done the cosmetics I believe it would have sold faster and maybe at a bit better price.

(a little a bit of topic, but all the good advice is there already, so I´ll just give you my thoughts on the subject)
brocster
11/6/2014 6:34am
i've learned a few things here but no one has mentioned that silver ring around your rear rim that screams "wear". I am a wheel and spoke fanatic and usually sharpie or marks a lot that silver ring and wipe down my black wheels with a WD40 soaked rag.

Post a reply to: How to make your bike pretty for little $$$$

The Latest