How to know when its time to hang up the boots.

6/7/2018 8:47pm
I'd say you should hang it up when you can hear and feel your ear hair making rustling sounds in your helmet.

mikec265
6/7/2018 11:21pm
Watch some of Gary Semic's free videos on YouTube.
Then watch the pros on tv while thinking about what Gary says in his videos.
Think about how kids who play sports do drills. Doing training drills for moto will help just like with stick and ball sports. You've got plenty of time to watch and study before applying what you can learn. There's all kinds of how to videos out there, but I really think Gary goes more in-depth than most.
redrider400
6/8/2018 12:16am
Marty1028 wrote:
Well I'm looking for some help from you vitards, I am contemplating whether or not to get out of the sport, I've had a injury span...
Well I'm looking for some help from you vitards, I am contemplating whether or not to get out of the sport, I've had a injury span of a broken femur, knee, dislocated shoulder, and most recently a partially torn acl, keep in mind I am only 15, I'm just looking for some advice from someone in the same boat.
Well, for me it was the last time I ate shit and thought to myself while I was on the ground, "damn, that hurt way more than I ever remember a wreck like this hurting". Then how long it took to start not hurting again, lol.
agn5009
6/8/2018 7:01am
BR8ES wrote:
Don't worry, you'll be driving soon and add girls, MX will naturally fade away.
Then he'll marry one and the MX urge will come back stronger than ever. Crazy how that works.

The Shop

gharmon
6/9/2018 1:57pm
Marty1028 wrote:
Well I'm looking for some help from you vitards, I am contemplating whether or not to get out of the sport, I've had a injury span...
Well I'm looking for some help from you vitards, I am contemplating whether or not to get out of the sport, I've had a injury span of a broken femur, knee, dislocated shoulder, and most recently a partially torn acl, keep in mind I am only 15, I'm just looking for some advice from someone in the same boat.
Well my youngest son broke his left arm five times, his right arm once, collar bone, right leg, had at least 3 confirmed concussions (probably a couple unconfirmed ones), stitches half dozen times (probably needed them 2 dozen) all by the age of 17-18 and he still rides now at 26. I hope this doesnt jinx him but he hasnt had anything broken since then.. He really didnt wreck a lot, he just made them count.

The oldest son wreck so much I lost the ability to even care anymore but he only ever broke a right thumb (growth plate) and broke his pelvic bone. I guess he was really good at bouncing... lol
1stSSPZ
6/9/2018 3:11pm
I'm about to turn 62 so...maybe after I'm 63...
barrs211
6/9/2018 3:48pm
Marty1028 wrote:
I’m 25 now & have been riding for 8 years. I’m a amateur rider but towards the front of the expert class. I’ve broken my tibia in my left leg at the knee (shattered into about 6 pieces) that kept me off the bike for 9 months. Also broke my foot in the same accident! Didn’t even fall off though, dabbed my foot down on the landing of a jump! I’ve broken my left radius bone in my arm twice! 5 weeks after the original break I had the cast off & re broke it the day after & needed surgery. That kept me off the bike for 6 months. I’ve torn ACL in right knee & left knee. Broken my tibia at the ankle area of right leg that messed my foot up big time. Still struggle to this day with it! That kept me off the bike for 10 months. And this year I’ve broken a rib & currently off the bike again with a damaged ligament in my right ankle! But one thing I am sure of, I can’t wait to get back on my bike! I’m always trying to learn and get better but there are things in life that will always test you.

You’ve got to take the good with the bad unfortunately. How much do you love riding your bike? Maybe you need to practice your technique more. Ryno said is best ‘you crash and injure yourself because your riding faster then what your bike technique allows you’

Remember why you started riding bikes in the first place, because it’s fun & enjoyable.
6/9/2018 4:03pm
Only you can answer that question. When I was young you could start out with a used 125 two stroke, and some gear for 2-3k. I really do feel for this generation that has to spend 10k on a bike alone to get started. What I can tell you is being arthritic in your late 30’s sucks but I wouldn’t have changed a thing
Drtbykr
6/9/2018 4:03pm Edited Date/Time 6/9/2018 4:06pm
I’ve had my bike for sale for about 12 hours 3x.
Just an off-road poser.

I don’t use it a lot even though it is my favourite thing. I’m 58, it’s strange.

But, I’ve decided, “why be without your favourite item”. (talk to myself).

So I guess I’ll never be without a bike, even if it’s a project bike.

Gonna hop on her tomorrow, do some “posing”. Ya can’t be a poser without a bike.ha
Drtbykr
6/9/2018 4:08pm
Marty1028 wrote:
barrs211 wrote:
I’m 25 now & have been riding for 8 years. I’m a amateur rider but towards the front of the expert class. I’ve broken my tibia...
I’m 25 now & have been riding for 8 years. I’m a amateur rider but towards the front of the expert class. I’ve broken my tibia in my left leg at the knee (shattered into about 6 pieces) that kept me off the bike for 9 months. Also broke my foot in the same accident! Didn’t even fall off though, dabbed my foot down on the landing of a jump! I’ve broken my left radius bone in my arm twice! 5 weeks after the original break I had the cast off & re broke it the day after & needed surgery. That kept me off the bike for 6 months. I’ve torn ACL in right knee & left knee. Broken my tibia at the ankle area of right leg that messed my foot up big time. Still struggle to this day with it! That kept me off the bike for 10 months. And this year I’ve broken a rib & currently off the bike again with a damaged ligament in my right ankle! But one thing I am sure of, I can’t wait to get back on my bike! I’m always trying to learn and get better but there are things in life that will always test you.

You’ve got to take the good with the bad unfortunately. How much do you love riding your bike? Maybe you need to practice your technique more. Ryno said is best ‘you crash and injure yourself because your riding faster then what your bike technique allows you’

Remember why you started riding bikes in the first place, because it’s fun & enjoyable.
I think maybe with those serious injuries, you should hang it up until you are full grown unless a factory team is throwing money at you.

Femur needs some love.
NorCal 50+
6/9/2018 5:10pm
I know all about this topic, because I've "hung it up" six, seven eight times now.

Once the pain of injuries fades (to whatever degree they do), the desire usually comes back. The best thing about getting a full hip replacement is I can ride and do sports again. Screw it, who wants to sit around and get old. Evil
BobbyM
6/9/2018 6:07pm
You obviously are into the wrong participation sport. Try yer hand at golf or try trail riding instead.
ipbrew
6/9/2018 6:11pm
Torco1 wrote:
[img]https://i.pinimg.com/originals/04/5d/6f/045d6f14256dcb6518c2e80c9804438f.jpg[/img]
I think you'd qualify for another kind of career with that hog.
Bry145
6/10/2018 8:32am
Mountain biking and golf are safer, more affordable, and more of a level playing field than motocross.

Moto is trying to price people out of the sport and as a result is on the way out.

I love the sport but just ride for fun. I'm more into mountain biking and golf at my advanced age of 35.

gt80rider
6/10/2018 11:14am
It is never time to hang up the boots.. slow down yes, not jump shit yes, hang up the boots for good? Nope!

Live to ride, ride to live, it is that simple...
6/10/2018 4:05pm
gt80rider wrote:
It is never time to hang up the boots.. slow down yes, not jump shit yes, hang up the boots for good? Nope! Live to ride...
It is never time to hang up the boots.. slow down yes, not jump shit yes, hang up the boots for good? Nope!

Live to ride, ride to live, it is that simple...
This.

Post a reply to: How to know when its time to hang up the boots.

The Latest