How to get better at leaning in corners

yz133rider
Edited Date/Time 5/31/2021 1:52pm
This is something I struggle with. It seems I just don’t lean it over very far in corners, any tips to get more lean and be able to carry more speed? I try to get off the rear brake and not drag it as much. Try to focus on elbows up and foot placement, but the lean just never comes for me.
|
TeamGreen
5/30/2021 9:31am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2021 12:58pm
Find a turn that's got a good berm (Preferebly "firm") or some ruts that you don't mind using like a berm. Practice smooth entry and accelerate -out- of the turn...smoothly...but...like I siad...accelerating...out of the turn.
As time goes on during your practice session...
You should be able to accelerate sooner/earlier in the turn and this should help you learn to "pull it down" or lean into the turn. You end up having to rail the turn by getting your foot out in front of you and lean into into the turn (As in leaning inward and kinda 'pulling' the bike down).

Watching some video of your favorite riders nailing a perfect turn can help.

Good Luck!
Highflier
5/30/2021 9:41am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2021 9:42am
Echoing the above, sit on the sideline of a corner you like and watch where fast guys start their acceleration points.
I had to learn braking late deep into a corner gave me faster entry, but was shit on exit and corner speed overall.
Corner speed increases when you are rolling and on the gas sooner.

Good luck!
5/30/2021 10:08am
Hire a riding coach, or practice like these guys said. We had a 5 acre corner track....giving enough practice the kids were dragging bars.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
5/30/2021 10:55am
Don’t focus on leaning over as much as technique. Pay attention to how your hands are weighting the bars the inside arm should be applying a bit of pressure pushing your bars away from the turn. This counter steering naturally makes the bike want to lean more. Only put your leg out if you have too, if you have to, Leg up toes pointed in. Foot should be up by your front fender.

The Shop

Zycki11
5/30/2021 11:00am
Technique, focus going into the corner smooth and under control. Don’t brake late and hard. Focus on your outside foot being in the correct position. Then roll the throttle on smoothly. The lean comes with comfort. Hit the same corner over and over, you will feel a big difference. Duplicate this with each corner. Saddle time with proper technique beats all
SrfNdirt
5/30/2021 11:18am Edited Date/Time 5/30/2021 11:19am
soggy wrote:
Don’t focus on leaning over as much as technique. Pay attention to how your hands are weighting the bars the inside arm should be applying a...
Don’t focus on leaning over as much as technique. Pay attention to how your hands are weighting the bars the inside arm should be applying a bit of pressure pushing your bars away from the turn. This counter steering naturally makes the bike want to lean more. Only put your leg out if you have too, if you have to, Leg up toes pointed in. Foot should be up by your front fender.
There's a Gary Semics video where he demonstrates this. Ride in a straight line, turn your bars one handed and the bike will fall/lean the opposite direction.
Timo
5/30/2021 11:25am
To get the feel of the tires I like to find a grassy flat area, practice turning without a rut or berm. I can almost drag the handlebars while doing this, then when you go to a track or trail with a good berm or a rut you will have more confidence leaning over. Note: expect to fall over a few times at least while learning to feel the traction limit of the tires. Occasionally even after getting the feel, you still get bit once in awhile. Dry sand on top of hardpack clay always trips me up still. You expect deep sand where your tire will push for a bit then stop, but without the deep sand base your front will just wash out. I ride river trails at my house and the bottom to bank transition trails have a lot of these, you don't want to lean in them.
doofus
5/30/2021 2:37pm
What helped me committing to corners was sitting farther forward on the seat. I think most everyone has a lingering fear of washing out when you lean it over, once I moved forward it helped alleviate that. Also I find the bike sticks better when cornering with speed rather than trying to tip toe thru em.

Aj catanzaro has a lot of good form/technique videos in YouTube
5/30/2021 3:03pm
soggy wrote:
Don’t focus on leaning over as much as technique. Pay attention to how your hands are weighting the bars the inside arm should be applying a...
SrfNdirt wrote:
There's a Gary Semics video where he demonstrates this. Ride in a straight line, turn your bars one handed and the bike will fall/lean the opposite...
There's a Gary Semics video where he demonstrates this. Ride in a straight line, turn your bars one handed and the bike will fall/lean the opposite direction.
Jepp! Took me a long time to realize how to keep the bike leaned over mid corner. You actively have to turn the bars into the wrong direction if the bike starts to stand up.

And of course: forget it if you don’t turn your head and your eyes into the direction you want to go!
5/30/2021 3:53pm
The best advice you can get from Vital....dont listen to people on Vital.

So do some riding schools, and watch some videos of Catenzaro or Ping's instructional vids etc.
ktmwoods
5/30/2021 4:05pm
soggy wrote:
SrfNdirt wrote:
There's a Gary Semics video where he demonstrates this. Ride in a straight line, turn your bars one handed and the bike will fall/lean the opposite...
#434 wrote:
Jepp! Took me a long time to realize how to keep the bike leaned over mid corner. You actively have to turn the bars into the...
Jepp! Took me a long time to realize how to keep the bike leaned over mid corner. You actively have to turn the bars into the wrong direction if the bike starts to stand up.

And of course: forget it if you don’t turn your head and your eyes into the direction you want to go!
100% agreed. Eyes way forward beyond apex, where you look = where you go.
Moto88
5/30/2021 5:33pm
Maybe do some research on dragging the rear brake. Seems to help me in some corners, always heard it helps but never hear much talk about it.
5/30/2021 5:47pm
The lean comes second hand with the corner speed. I would put a higher focus on corner speed and let the leaning occur naturally.
kb228
5/30/2021 5:52pm
Try just going somewhat slow and going till you fall over. Youre not gonna get hurt and youll find the limit. You got a mental wall you gotta pass somehow
Falcon
Fantasy
856th
5/30/2021 6:13pm
Bigoldbeef wrote:
The lean comes second hand with the corner speed. I would put a higher focus on corner speed and let the leaning occur naturally.
What worked for me was almost exactly the opposite: I had a faster friend tell me to work on getting really low in a rut. He made me do corner drills for a long time one day, based on nothing but getting lower and lower. To do this, you must go faster or you'll fall over. I say work on the form and the speed will follow.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
5/30/2021 7:45pm
Moto88 wrote:
Maybe do some research on dragging the rear brake. Seems to help me in some corners, always heard it helps but never hear much talk about...
Maybe do some research on dragging the rear brake. Seems to help me in some corners, always heard it helps but never hear much talk about it.
It’s common to drag the front brake in ruts. To keep traction. I do t hear of many people purposely dragging the rear
TheGetFresh
Fantasy
2562nd
5/30/2021 9:19pm
Look further down the track and tip your head over. Your body will follow.
EngIceDave
5/31/2021 10:47am
soggy wrote:
SrfNdirt wrote:
The great counter-steering debate!

Go on a street forum and start this fight...EPIC!
EngIceDave
5/31/2021 10:50am Edited Date/Time 5/31/2021 10:50am
Ever do it on a pitbike or small toy like an XR80?

Sounds crazy, but it'll get you into that comfort zone. Then you just move to bigger bike.

Also, learn to tilt your head inward, outside elbow up....but don't look like a dork, be cool about it
sandtrack315
5/31/2021 10:50am
Brake earlier, get on the throttle earlier, even if it's just a crack.

I use the clutch to modulate power in the turn, as you can get the bike to stand up quickly if you're leaning over too far by just letting the clutch out, assuming you have the throttle on enough. A better way to do this is to already be on the throttle and in the perfect gear, but this works too.
5/31/2021 11:25am
Ice riding is also great practice for cornering. Every corner is different, but on a 125 you should being flying into the entry. my 1st ride on my 06 cr125 was at a Friday night track on a Sunday. The 06 handles diff than a 04. Both bikes don’t push the front tho. 2nd lap 4th gear wo steep face jump hang time breath, style for the chics in the bleachers. Then show em something no one else will do. punch the rear brake and slide it into a vertical wall berm. Gforce forces your butt onto the seat, vertical to the ground the energy you hit the wall berm with launches you down the tracks and over the acceration chop. A lot of passes are made entering the corner, look at the pala race right corner. Consistently is nice, but your pass apportunities are in the corners. Diff style or attack is needed. Highest gforce feeling of the whole track is in corners. Takes a lot of energy to attack every corner, that’s why you practice and get in better shape. Look at a corner like a start, smooth and quick as you can. Rip it.
spimx
5/31/2021 1:04pm
Do you have some property to ride on? One way to get faster is to get down with some figure 8s. Get some cones or I use old tires and move them around to form different figure 8s. If you can get an extra day of riding just figure 8s you will definately get faster.
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
5/31/2021 1:17pm
A lot of it really depends on the corner too, you can’t drag the bars in every corner. Tight to middle radius ruts are the easiest to get low in IMO
KennyT
Fantasy
233rd
5/31/2021 1:43pm Edited Date/Time 5/31/2021 1:43pm

Get into vintage MX! I could do this shit all day long on my 1978 Kawasaki 125A4.....if I tried it on a modern bike I’d be eating shit every time I went beyond 90 degrees
soggy
Fantasy
3857th
5/31/2021 1:52pm
KennyT wrote:
[img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2021/05/31/495913/s1200_E5685879_7916_4A7D_8730_142290397C9D.jpg[/img] Get into vintage MX! I could do this shit all day long on my 1978 Kawasaki 125A4.....if I tried it on a modern bike I’d...

Get into vintage MX! I could do this shit all day long on my 1978 Kawasaki 125A4.....if I tried it on a modern bike I’d be eating shit every time I went beyond 90 degrees
Sweet pic
5/31/2021 2:04pm
Number 1 Rule for cornering or moto for that matter. "Your ass follows your head". If you wanna lean the bike over, lean your head in and keep your eyes up where you wanna go.

I was also told at a young age this simple thing. Safest place to crash is in the corners. you're already closest to the ground. if you don't fall over practicing turns, keep practicing til you do.
Jbulz
Fantasy
4086th
5/31/2021 3:05pm
To lean over more for the same turn you need to either go faster or turn sharper. It's all balance, so the more leaned over you are the more centrifugal force you need to equally try and stand you up.

Focus on being smooth and faster rather than leaning over.

Post a reply to: How to get better at leaning in corners

The Latest