How to deal with Low Ball Offers

Dirtydeeds
Fantasy
2892nd
2/13/2019 5:40pm
I was selling a crf110 and had a kid extra lowball me. Told em you know what why don’t I just give it to you plus I’ll give you $300. He was all stoked until I told em he’s gotta let me shoot em in the leg.

Sold a Tacoma, had a lowballer told em yeah I’ll take that offer. Just gonna take the doors and the hood off. You can have those items when you bring the rest of the cash.

This wasn’t a lowball but a funny one. Was giving away a sectional couch I had put in my patio area. Had a guy trying to be funny ask me why there was a pressure washer in the picture, did the couch need to be washed or something? Told em ya it couldn’t hurt, thats where both my kids were conceived. Hahaha he gotta kick out of it.
dadofagun
Fantasy
1926th
2/13/2019 5:49pm Edited Date/Time 2/13/2019 5:50pm
A few years back,I was selling a Falcon I had built into a fun street toy to fund another project. The little car wasn't anything too radical, but was a blast to play with. I priced it fairly, and had a few nibbles, but one evening this guy called and wanted to take a look. When he arrived, this guy had "beat me up, and take my milk money" written all over his face, and anybody would have sworn he was a Literature Professor......even had a bow tie. I knew I was in for an experience when he asked me about its fuel mileage, because at the time gas was hitting near 4 bucks a gal here. I responded, "Folks who have toys like these aren't worried about fuel consumption, but I'm gonna guess its around 9-10 miles on a gallon if you take it easy." His eyes suddenly became the size of a dinner plate, and he told me "That's insane!!" So, I turned the whole thing around when my response was "Would you walk 10 miles for 4 bucks?".......

He paid asking price, and left feeling like a superhero...... probably grabbed a six pack of YooHoo on the way home to toast the evening to boot.

The Shop

JustMX
2/13/2019 7:46pm
It isn't just bikes. Been selling car parts and other stuff and it is the same deal.

Had a south Bend clutch for a.dodge.cummins. I was getting low ball offers and texts telling me "it looks rusty".

Then I had a guy call me from Michigan ( I am in NE TN). Said he had a buddy pulling a boat from Florida and he was going to see if he would pick it up. Turned out it was about 250 miles out of his way, so he asked me what town near me had motels and he would just come down and get it.

Called me from a motel 20 minutes away the.next morning for my address, came over and picked it up. He was so thrilled to find it he paid me what I asked. I couldn't believe he drove over 8 hours and didn't even have my address.
Glen
2/13/2019 8:06pm
DoctorJD wrote:
Or my favorites, when I have "NO TRADES" as the last line of my ad, someone asks me, "Interested in any trades?". And they usually want...
Or my favorites, when I have "NO TRADES" as the last line of my ad, someone asks me, "Interested in any trades?". And they usually want to trade me a utility quad, or an AR-15.

I've sold two bikes in the last month and I wanted to pull my hair out. Tried FB Marketplace on one of them and every...freaking...day, it was, "is this still available?", to which I would answer yes, then no response. And yes, I had my share of low-ballers. I don't take it personal, but it does get exhausting. Extremely exhausting. Most of them (if not all) I never offered a reply.

I thought it was just me! I tried to sell a car on FB, I thought it'd be better than craigslist. nope! EVERY single message was "is this still available?". must be bots
Matt Fisher
Fantasy
1177th
2/13/2019 9:28pm
I buy and sell stuff all the time using CL, FB, OfferUp, and Letgo. There are more flakes out there than a whole trainload of Wheaties. Both buyer and sellers.

I'm nice to those making a low ball offer; I'm not getting paid to be a jerk to them. Piss someone off and they might have everyone they know send you ridiculous offers, dick pics, and offers from the DNC asking for money. Scammers always get this reply- "Stealing is wrong. Don't do it."

I'm currently selling a TTR230 and have gotten about a dozen low ball offers. Next month my KX125 will probably go on the chopping block and I'll get tons of the same silly offers for that one. Eventually the right buyer will come along for each, ante up the cash and be happy with their new toy. It can be mildly annoying, but isn't worth getting worked up over.
Robgvx
2/13/2019 10:35pm
A friend of mine wanted to get ride of a table. He put it on the street outside his house each day for two weeks with a sign saying ‘Free to a good home’. There were no takers.

He then changed the sign to ‘£20’.

It was stolen within hours.
Dougy1
2/14/2019 2:18am
jeffro503 wrote:
Haha , yeah I've dealt with low ball offer's and the occasional " sob stories ". I've probably sold about 8 bikes or so in just...
Haha , yeah I've dealt with low ball offer's and the occasional " sob stories ". I've probably sold about 8 bikes or so in just the past 7yrs since I got back into riding. I always put up a fair price on all my bikes , and usually get paid everything I'm asking for. Some sell the same day , couple other's have taken a month or two. The right person will see the ad soon enough , so stand your ground.
I just made a couple lower offers . But had the respect to call them and be polite and say thats my budget and they were cool.. Texting lowballs is different story.
Dougy1
2/14/2019 2:20am
Robgvx wrote:
A friend of mine wanted to get ride of a table. He put it on the street outside his house each day for two weeks with...
A friend of mine wanted to get ride of a table. He put it on the street outside his house each day for two weeks with a sign saying ‘Free to a good home’. There were no takers.

He then changed the sign to ‘£20’.

It was stolen within hours.
Shoulda put it on gumtree in Australia. Would sold that bad boy for $50.
Dougy1
2/14/2019 3:12am
dadofagun wrote:
A few years back,I was selling a Falcon I had built into a fun street toy to fund another project. The little car wasn't anything too...
A few years back,I was selling a Falcon I had built into a fun street toy to fund another project. The little car wasn't anything too radical, but was a blast to play with. I priced it fairly, and had a few nibbles, but one evening this guy called and wanted to take a look. When he arrived, this guy had "beat me up, and take my milk money" written all over his face, and anybody would have sworn he was a Literature Professor......even had a bow tie. I knew I was in for an experience when he asked me about its fuel mileage, because at the time gas was hitting near 4 bucks a gal here. I responded, "Folks who have toys like these aren't worried about fuel consumption, but I'm gonna guess its around 9-10 miles on a gallon if you take it easy." His eyes suddenly became the size of a dinner plate, and he told me "That's insane!!" So, I turned the whole thing around when my response was "Would you walk 10 miles for 4 bucks?".......

He paid asking price, and left feeling like a superhero...... probably grabbed a six pack of YooHoo on the way home to toast the evening to boot.
I once sold a kids mountain bike on gumtree. Australian site for selling anything.... but remarkably reliable..anyways our friends were leaving the country and said just have it, sell it whatever. So I sprayed this piece of shit with wd 40 and put it up for $120. Meanwhile you could pull a brand new one at Kmart for the similiarv price ( this thing was ten years old) I was happy with $20 just for kicks.. next day this guy rocks up in a deadset business suit and starts test riding around the street ( a sight to behold as this guy was tall on a kids bike ) , He comes back to me and says I’ll give you a hundred bucks, I’m like wtf ok .. I gave the hungy to my son and said there ya go mate.. that’s how it’s done .. I will always remember it Lol. And still sell junk shit every know and then on Gummy to this day if I don’t need it. Any ways Back to moto ?
ATKpilot99
2/14/2019 3:29am
I was selling an 89 rm 125 on fb marketplace and had a guy not only lowball me but wanted me to deliver the bike . I cant remember if I didn't respond or just give a flat no. Anyway soon after I got my asking price from someone else. Didn't make an offer for less . That's rare.
ts.p311
2/14/2019 3:54am
Conversation last night went like this: Buyer: Is the bike still available? Me: Yes it is Buyer: What’s the lowest you’ll take? Me: Before you see...
Conversation last night went like this:

Buyer: Is the bike still available?

Me: Yes it is

Buyer: What’s the lowest you’ll take?

Me: Before you see it? My asking price, 5900.

Buyer: Which bike is this again? Can you send a pic I’ve been texting a lot of people

Me shouting at my phone: “COMPARE THE PHONE NUMBER TO THE POSTS YOU LOOKED AT YOU DIPSHIT”

*send picture of bike*

Buyer then proceeds to ask for every for every piece of information that was listed in the post. Including if the bike was ridden in the track or the desert

I answer.

Buyer then decides to show me another bike he’s looking at asking such and such money.

Me: Sweet! My price is obo but I don’t talk money without you seeing the bike and meeting a person eye to eye.

Buyer: “I’m a millennial bro that’s how we do things”

I can’t make this shit up.

Me: I guess I’m just old school. Let me know if you want to come see it

I’m 26.

The conversation went on for about 20 more minutes and him ending up deciding the other bike from PHOENIX was the better choice because he wanted a bike that was mainly desert ridden and not a “track bike”.

I don’t understand people.
I mean you could make that shit up. Like the, "Im a millennial"... I'd love it if that happened, (and if it did, it was probably sarcasm) but why the hell wouldn't you have screen shot that part? What you did post as far as a screen shot just makes you look like the douche.
kb228
2/14/2019 3:54am
Yea that pickup and paypal thing is a common scam. They will pay you the money, pickup the bike and title and then charge back the money.
2/14/2019 4:59am
“Will you take trade” them
“I will ALWAYS take trade for cash only” me.
2/14/2019 5:51am
Let me ask you guys this,

Theres been a couple of times I've made low ball offers but have been perfectly honest and up front with ther sellers. I encouraged them to continue trying to sell it for the best deal they can find but if they haven't sold the bike after 2 or 3 weeks or whatever window they're working with and need to get it sold that they can fall back on me and I'll buy it for a decidedly discounted price but with the understanding that I'm willing to wait and really am just offering a backup plan if they need it and that the bike would end up with an enthusiast.

I've offended wondered if I was still being an asshat for making a low ball offer and was just trying to justify it in my mind or if the sellers do understand what I'm trying to do.

FYI...I truly fo root for them to sell it to somebody else for a better price......I've never gone back and tried pressuring or anything like that or saying I need an answer by the end of the week etc. etc.

Thoughts?
endurox
2/14/2019 9:54am
FuzzyLogic wrote:
When someone asks "what is the lowest you will go?" Respond with "What's the most you will pay?" If the numbers do not line up or...
When someone asks "what is the lowest you will go?"

Respond with "What's the most you will pay?"

If the numbers do not line up or cross paths, you know you're done with the correspondence.

It may seem like a rude response, but you are essentially asking them the same question they are asking you.
And add to that “ask your wife before you come to buy the bike”
snackfedbear
2/14/2019 10:11am
ts.p311 wrote:
I mean you could make that shit up. Like the, "Im a millennial"... I'd love it if that happened, (and if it did, it was probably...
I mean you could make that shit up. Like the, "Im a millennial"... I'd love it if that happened, (and if it did, it was probably sarcasm) but why the hell wouldn't you have screen shot that part? What you did post as far as a screen shot just makes you look like the douche.
I could make it up, sure. But honestly why would anyone lie about something so petty?
2/14/2019 11:11am
DoctorJD wrote:
Or my favorites, when I have "NO TRADES" as the last line of my ad, someone asks me, "Interested in any trades?". And they usually want...
Or my favorites, when I have "NO TRADES" as the last line of my ad, someone asks me, "Interested in any trades?". And they usually want to trade me a utility quad, or an AR-15.

I've sold two bikes in the last month and I wanted to pull my hair out. Tried FB Marketplace on one of them and every...freaking...day, it was, "is this still available?", to which I would answer yes, then no response. And yes, I had my share of low-ballers. I don't take it personal, but it does get exhausting. Extremely exhausting. Most of them (if not all) I never offered a reply.

Glen wrote:
I thought it was just me! I tried to sell a car on FB, I thought it'd be better than craigslist. nope! EVERY single message was...
I thought it was just me! I tried to sell a car on FB, I thought it'd be better than craigslist. nope! EVERY single message was "is this still available?". must be bots
That's was the automated message fb marketplace put on inquiries. Now FB changed it to something like "Good afternoon, I am interested in this item"
Turbojez
2/15/2019 2:56pm
Shit shoulda had him send it to you via friends. And kept the bike.
It doesn't work this way, even though it would be quite funny.

Once you have it all set up he sends you a fake email with PayPal payment confirmation, if he realizes you know he's full of shit - poof, and he disappears.
VetMX.com
2/15/2019 4:43pm
"Come out and look at it and we can probably make a deal."
2/15/2019 4:55pm
If I’m lowballing I will always say something like “if you don’t have any other offers and want to let it go fast I’ll give you **** dollars, if not no big deal”
Gabriel J
2/15/2019 5:16pm Edited Date/Time 2/15/2019 5:19pm
I like to lowball, and have scored some really great deals over the years. It's been a mix of up-front lowball offers before seeing the item, or lowball after seeing it. How you communicate with a seller makes a huge difference in how likely you are to get a good deal. You can be cool and lowball, or you can be a dick and lowball.

I see no problem at all with asking what their lowest price is right up front. Especially If it's something I think the price is too high. If they won't budge I simply cut communication off. As a buyer you have to accept that some sellers are just delusional. I have used the "if things change let me know, I have cash" method, and had people contact me down the road when they realized my offer was legit.

When I sell stuff, I do my best to price competitively. I do my research and make sure whoever is buying the stuff gets a fair deal at asking price. I get lowballs, and just respond that I am firm on my price. Sometimes if the item doesn't sell, I will take all the ads down and sit on for a while. Post it up at a later date and often find fresh viewers and sell it.

Sometimes its the ad that makes the difference. If I see a shitty ad, I'm making a lowball offer. Someone who wants top dollar should expect to put effort into their ad and justify to me why their price is fair. My older brother tried to sell some stuff on Craigslist with a crappy ad, and got zero interest. He told me to give it a go, so made my own listing in the same section of our local Craigslist with great pictures and solid descriptions. Sold them that day, for more than he was asking for two months.

I'm 39 if that makes any difference, but I don't really think so. If you are good with communication anything is possible. If you're an asshole, chances are things aren't gonna happen for you.

I do miss the post-recession ads in 2008-2010 or so. I scored so many awesome deals because people needed cash and were dumping stuff like crazy. I had a solid job so I wasn't effected by it.

p3fab
2/15/2019 5:25pm
kb228 wrote:
Yea that pickup and paypal thing is a common scam. They will pay you the money, pickup the bike and title and then charge back the...
Yea that pickup and paypal thing is a common scam. They will pay you the money, pickup the bike and title and then charge back the money.
They are fun to mess with tho if you have free time

2/15/2019 5:47pm
If you think it's a low ball offer decline andmove on with your life.....If you want to see a low ball offer just ask for a trade in price.

Sellers that think there used bike is worth $1000 less than new boil my piss more than a low ball.
2/15/2019 6:05pm
p3fab wrote:
They are fun to mess with tho if you have free time [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/15/325694/s1200_3FF3F025_A549_443B_82F5_D030B708A35B.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/15/325693/s1200_7619AF23_9F80_4684_813C_1DC64C93170E.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/15/325692/s1200_E4CD3F18_3EC0_4165_9FDB_5493379A2FCF.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/15/325695/s1200_CF392894_2F50_4D7D_9B98_986D2D415726.jpg[/img]

Lol maybe you don’t have petco... that had me dying hahaha
p3fab
2/15/2019 6:38pm
p3fab wrote:
They are fun to mess with tho if you have free time [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/15/325694/s1200_3FF3F025_A549_443B_82F5_D030B708A35B.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/15/325693/s1200_7619AF23_9F80_4684_813C_1DC64C93170E.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/15/325692/s1200_E4CD3F18_3EC0_4165_9FDB_5493379A2FCF.jpg[/img] [img]https://p.vitalmx.com/photos/forums/2019/02/15/325695/s1200_CF392894_2F50_4D7D_9B98_986D2D415726.jpg[/img]

Lol maybe you don’t have petco... that had me dying hahaha
Yeah that of all the things I said made him stop trying to scam me lol
smoothies862
Fantasy
787th
2/15/2019 7:52pm
Getting rdy to sell mine it’s always interesting. Ill trade for hundred dollar bills?

Post a reply to: How to deal with Low Ball Offers

The Latest