How to deal with Low Ball Offers

Related:
Create New Tag

2/13/2019 8:56 AM

It's not something I would do, but I figured some of y'all would get a kick out of this.

If this was posted let me know and I'll pull it. I scrolled down a few pages & didn't see anything but its supercross season and the posts are flying.

Photo


Photo

|

2/13/2019 8:57 AM

What's the lowest you'll go?

About 5. Any less you'll tip over

|

"A link is only as long as your longest strong chain"

2/13/2019 8:59 AM

Stuntman949 wrote:

What's the lowest you'll go?

About 5. Any less you'll tip over

Lol.. I saw one like that when I was searching to make sure this wasn't posted yet. laughing

|

2/13/2019 9:00 AM

Haha , yeah I've dealt with low ball offer's and the occasional " sob stories ". I've probably sold about 8 bikes or so in just the past 7yrs since I got back into riding. I always put up a fair price on all my bikes , and usually get paid everything I'm asking for. Some sell the same day , couple other's have taken a month or two. The right person will see the ad soon enough , so stand your ground.

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

2/13/2019 9:02 AM

I ignore them or reply no thanks. If I respond and they respond with another low ball I ignore. Not worth my time and cheap asses from Craigslist are generally the kind who will start throwing insults which is just annoying. Not worth fueling the fire.

|

2/13/2019 9:07 AM

Low ballers don't bother me at all...I mean who really cares unless you are some kind of emotional baby attached to your bike or whatever..

I always thank low ballers for their offer and let them know they are too low- Sometimes they come back at a more reasonable price and sometimes not.. Never chase away a buyer.

Can't blame someone for trying to get the best deal possible.

For every low baller there is a seller asking way too much..

|

2/13/2019 9:20 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/13/2019 9:40 AM

I used to reply with “low end book value is this and its in better condition than book value”.

Now i just ignore them.

I also ignore people who ask me what is the lowest ill take before they look at whatever im selling.

Most people are either broke or tire kickers. The buyer will make it easy on you.

Edit: i want to add, that having someone drive far and no showing is a total dick move even if you get lowballed. Someone you dont know sending you a lowball text doesnt cost you anything. No-showing them can cost them $100 in gas or time off work to meet you.

|

2/13/2019 9:20 AM

Or my favorites, when I have "NO TRADES" as the last line of my ad, someone asks me, "Interested in any trades?". And they usually want to trade me a utility quad, or an AR-15.

I've sold two bikes in the last month and I wanted to pull my hair out. Tried FB Marketplace on one of them and every...freaking...day, it was, "is this still available?", to which I would answer yes, then no response. And yes, I had my share of low-ballers. I don't take it personal, but it does get exhausting. Extremely exhausting. Most of them (if not all) I never offered a reply.



|

2/13/2019 9:26 AM

When someone asks "what is the lowest you will go?"

Respond with "What's the most you will pay?"

If the numbers do not line up or cross paths, you know you're done with the correspondence.

It may seem like a rude response, but you are essentially asking them the same question they are asking you.

|

Here's to feeling good all the time

2/13/2019 9:28 AM

FuzzyLogic wrote:

When someone asks "what is the lowest you will go?"

Respond with "What's the most you will pay?"

If the numbers do not line up or cross paths, you know you're done with the correspondence.

It may seem like a rude response, but you are essentially asking them the same question they are asking you.

Answering a question with another question. Inception.

|

2/13/2019 9:30 AM

Thats fucked up. Ive had sellers do something similair to me. Drove 3 hrs 3 different times to either meet for a trade or to buy a bike and they never show up and never answer.

Don't like the offer, say no thanks and move on. Dont have someone waste time and money for your amusement over a simple offer.

|

2/13/2019 9:43 AM

I even had someone ask, 'can I get it for free?' What?

|

2/13/2019 9:46 AM

I always get the “will you trade for a bag of weed?” Questions

Uhhh no im ok.

|

2/13/2019 9:49 AM

I say: “ Its only been on the market a couple of days. Call me back in a month and we can talk.”

|

Avoiding JS7 threads since 3/7/17.

2/13/2019 10:05 AM

When they say what's your lowest offer i come back with what I'm asking.

|

2/13/2019 10:06 AM

Back in 2017 I was selling a 2016 yz450f and asking $6000. Had one guy ask if that was Dubai prices? He said no one would pay that much for a used dirtbike.

|

2/13/2019 10:09 AM

Then the dealership I work for sold it for $6300

|

2/13/2019 10:11 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/13/2019 10:14 AM

Conversation last night went like this:

Buyer: Is the bike still available?

Me: Yes it is

Buyer: What’s the lowest you’ll take?

Me: Before you see it? My asking price, 5900.

Buyer: Which bike is this again? Can you send a pic I’ve been texting a lot of people

Me shouting at my phone: “COMPARE THE PHONE NUMBER TO THE POSTS YOU LOOKED AT YOU DIPSHIT”

*send picture of bike*

Buyer then proceeds to ask for every for every piece of information that was listed in the post. Including if the bike was ridden in the track or the desert

I answer.

Buyer then decides to show me another bike he’s looking at asking such and such money.

Me: Sweet! My price is obo but I don’t talk money without you seeing the bike and meeting a person eye to eye.

Buyer: “I’m a millennial bro that’s how we do things”

I can’t make this shit up.

Me: I guess I’m just old school. Let me know if you want to come see it

I’m 26.

The conversation went on for about 20 more minutes and him ending up deciding the other bike from PHOENIX was the better choice because he wanted a bike that was mainly desert ridden and not a “track bike”.

I don’t understand people.

|

2/13/2019 10:14 AM

snackfedbear wrote:

Conversation last night went like this:

Buyer: Is the bike still available?

Me: Yes it is

Buyer: What’s the lowest you’ll take?

Me: Before you see it? My asking price, 5900.

Buyer: Which bike is this again? Can you send a pic I’ve been texting a lot of people

Me shouting at my phone: “COMPARE THE PHONE NUMBER TO THE POSTS YOU LOOKED AT YOU DIPSHIT”

*send picture of bike*

Buyer then proceeds to ask for every for every piece of information that was listed in the post. Including if the bike was ridden in the track or the desert

I answer.

Buyer then decides to show me another bike he’s looking at asking such and such money.

Me: Sweet! My price is obo but I don’t talk money without you seeing the bike and meeting a person eye to eye.

Buyer: “I’m a millennial bro that’s how we do things”

I can’t make this shit up.

Me: I guess I’m just old school. Let me know if you want to come see it

I’m 26.

The conversation went on for about 20 more minutes and him ending up deciding the other bike from PHOENIX was the better choice because he wanted a bike that was mainly desert ridden and not a “track bike”.

I don’t understand people.

Just resend ur ad instead of going over the details and pics

|

2/13/2019 10:16 AM

Just say no.

|

2/13/2019 10:21 AM

They were pretty aggressive in NJ. You would kindly tell them no thanks and then they would reply with some smart comment telling you you're an idiot for not taking their stupid low offer. That's when I would get a bit heated. Do miss being in a heavily populated area, could easily sell my bikes within a week or two, AZ market is tough to say the least for selling MX bikes.

|

"Asking this question here is analogous to going to a KrispyKreme store and asking the patrons if you should have a doughnut."-NotCore

2/13/2019 10:22 AM

snackfedbear wrote:

Conversation last night went like this:

Buyer: Is the bike still available?

Me: Yes it is

Buyer: What’s the lowest you’ll take?

Me: Before you see it? My asking price, 5900.

Buyer: Which bike is this again? Can you send a pic I’ve been texting a lot of people

Me shouting at my phone: “COMPARE THE PHONE NUMBER TO THE POSTS YOU LOOKED AT YOU DIPSHIT”

*send picture of bike*

Buyer then proceeds to ask for every for every piece of information that was listed in the post. Including if the bike was ridden in the track or the desert

I answer.

Buyer then decides to show me another bike he’s looking at asking such and such money.

Me: Sweet! My price is obo but I don’t talk money without you seeing the bike and meeting a person eye to eye.

Buyer: “I’m a millennial bro that’s how we do things”

I can’t make this shit up.

Me: I guess I’m just old school. Let me know if you want to come see it

I’m 26.

The conversation went on for about 20 more minutes and him ending up deciding the other bike from PHOENIX was the better choice because he wanted a bike that was mainly desert ridden and not a “track bike”.

I don’t understand people.

Im 25 and i still want people to negotiate in person.

Truth is this. Most people are too chicken shit to low ball you in person. They try over text to see if youll come down. When you get them in person, they wont go as low and some wont negotiate at all. Puts more money in your pocket. Also, you have the power of sending them on a 2hr drive home empty handed and thats a big deal.

|

2/13/2019 10:26 AM

If I drove a long distance and got screwed like that, I’d message from a different phone the next day and tell him I’ll give him his asking price but see if he’ll meet me half way. Then I’d never show up.

You can’t realky blame someone for asking for a lower price.

|

2/13/2019 10:29 AM

kb228 wrote:

Im 25 and i still want people to negotiate in person.

Truth is this. Most people are too chicken shit to low ball you in person. They try over text to see if youll come down. When you get them in person, they wont go as low and some wont negotiate at all. Puts more money in your pocket. Also, you have the power of sending them on a 2hr drive home empty handed and thats a big deal.

Exactly. If you’re driving to go see a bike you’re most likely planning on buying a bike. No reason you shouldn’t try and get a deal. But go se the bike first!

I mean I get the logic if you’re just shooting from the hip over text. There’s no shame in that.

Just don’t waste someone’s time with BS Fluff

|

2/13/2019 10:36 AM
Edited Date/Time: 2/13/2019 10:47 AM

Make a phone call like an adult instead of a low ball text. Next time you get low balled by $500-1000 , ask them would you give a total stranger free money.

|

2/13/2019 10:56 AM

DoctorJD wrote:

Or my favorites, when I have "NO TRADES" as the last line of my ad, someone asks me, "Interested in any trades?". And they usually want to trade me a utility quad, or an AR-15.

I've sold two bikes in the last month and I wanted to pull my hair out. Tried FB Marketplace on one of them and every...freaking...day, it was, "is this still available?", to which I would answer yes, then no response. And yes, I had my share of low-ballers. I don't take it personal, but it does get exhausting. Extremely exhausting. Most of them (if not all) I never offered a reply.




I was just about to post the new annoying thing is FB market place and the “still available?” followed by no response. I’m selling a 17 KX250F right now, just this past weekend I had 3 people ask if it was still available (i said yes, they didn’t reply), another 2 send me offers which i said I’d do, then they didn’t reply, and another text me an offer I’d do, and once again no reply. I’m remembering why I hoard bikes instead of selling them now. grin
|

2/13/2019 11:23 AM

OP is a dick! I've never had trouble selling anything online. I post up the price, usually on the lower end of what I would take, and say in the ad that this is the price, first one to bring me $XXXX goes home with the bike/car/lawn mower... whatever.

People will come and look and then try to negotiate, to which I say "Well, I've got 2 more people coming today and another guy wants to see it tomorrow. I won't hold it for you but i'll let you know if it's still available in a few days."

They will inevitably walk away because "who doesn't negotiate", but they always come back that day and give me my full asking price. Always.

Nobody else is ever "coming to see it" that day.

|

Life's a garden, dig it.

1996 CR250R
2016 YZ450F
2001 Suzuki Bandit 600

2/13/2019 11:40 AM

three9zero wrote:

Just say no.

^^^^

|

Twitter: @ftemoto
Instagram: @mstusiak

2/13/2019 11:41 AM

Tenacious P wrote:

OP is a dick! I've never had trouble selling anything online. I post up the price, usually on the lower end of what I would take, and say in the ad that this is the price, first one to bring me $XXXX goes home with the bike/car/lawn mower... whatever.

People will come and look and then try to negotiate, to which I say "Well, I've got 2 more people coming today and another guy wants to see it tomorrow. I won't hold it for you but i'll let you know if it's still available in a few days."

They will inevitably walk away because "who doesn't negotiate", but they always come back that day and give me my full asking price. Always.

Nobody else is ever "coming to see it" that day.

Take it easy... This wasn't me, man.... I found this exchange on Facebook. I would never do something like that. I just thought some people would get a kick out of it.

|

2/13/2019 11:46 AM

SmokinJoe439 wrote:

When they say what's your lowest offer i come back with what I'm asking.

Same here. Kills me when they ask whats the lowest before they even throw an offer on the table. I always respond with my asking price.

|