How to Convince Wife to Let Kids Ride

JG2
1/8/2019 11:56am
My son does, daughter is on the fence.
49weasel
1/8/2019 12:35pm
Motorcycles are a drug.... Get your kids hooked.

Oh be a man and just buy the kids a bike.
moto9
1/8/2019 12:46pm
My own kid story,
At around 7 yrs old we moved from the city to the country where a lot of neighbor kids had dirt bikes...and of course I wanted one too.
Bugged mom and dad for one, dad didn't say much but mom was dead set against it.
Couple months went by and on my birthday there was a dirt bike waiting for me in the garage...one of the happiest days of my life, now at 57ys old I still remember that day like it was yesterday.
I was hooked on dirt bikes for the next 50 yrs, made me the man I am today, recently retired from a long career in law enforcement.
When I was old enough to understand my pops told me he spent many a nights on the couch for getting me that dirt bike....haha.
Vet57
1/8/2019 1:18pm
All I know is I remember when sex was safe and motorcycles were dangerous...so there's that.

The Shop

1/8/2019 1:32pm
I know this may seem like an outrageous idea, but maybe have a conversation with her? Explain that this is what you want to do and why and what it means to you and the kids. As a back up have some stats on football injuries. Parenting is a two person job which means the decision is for you both to make, not just her. Stand your ground and have an adult conversation about it.
Torco1
1/8/2019 3:39pm
What you want to do is wait for her in the living room with the lights dimmed and when she comes in you say, "can you please sit down, we need to talk." Start telling her how you've been having an affair with the babysitter and you are planning on moving out and leaving her and the kids for the 18 year old. When she's sobbing uncontrollably and about to break, start laughing and tell her you're just kidding. She'll be so happy and relieved that none of it is true...... and that's when it's time to bring up buying dirt bikes. She wont give a shit about anything at that point other than the fact that her marriage isn't over. If you're good enough, you might even be able to get some exhaust systems out of it.
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/8/2019 4:08pm
Falcon wrote:
Your wife can choose one of two options: #1: Remain married, and let the kids ride. #2: Be divorced, and have kids who ride when they...
Your wife can choose one of two options:

#1: Remain married, and let the kids ride.
#2: Be divorced, and have kids who ride when they visit dad.

Cool
CozMan wrote:
your kids "visit" you when you're divorced?
That's sad.
Sorry, I like in Kalifornia. I just assumed it was equally unfair everywhere; my bad. Wink
Falcon
Fantasy
798th
1/8/2019 4:14pm
Hey JG2, for the record, I don't recommend divorcing your wife.

I've been really lucky in that my wife and I have always agreed that our kids would ride. I never had to convince her.
If I were you, I'd just approach yours without any nonsense and say something like, "Look, I'm a rider and it's made me into the man I am today. I think it will be hugely beneficial to our kids and they will love it." She'll come around.
SEEMEFIRST
1/8/2019 4:29pm
Be a man. Tell her I ride/rode ,so will my children .
LoudLove
1/9/2019 4:47am
JG2: how hard is your wife's line against the kids riding? If she's mildly in disagreement, put something on the table that benefits her position, maybe a written set of rules & guidelines, with actions should X, Y, or Z occur.

If she's adamantly against allowing her 5 year old twins to ride, the narrative changes, as it's no longer bike or no bike: it's marriage or no marriage. Other responders have encouraged you to get the bikes, wife's opinion be damned. We all know how that story eventually ends, so buying bikes will signal that motorcycles have a higher priority in your life than her. If that's indeed the case, then the real challenge has little to do with purchasing a pair of PW50s...
SPYGUY
Fantasy
725th
1/9/2019 11:24am
JG2 wrote:
Now that my twins are 5 I am mentally preparing myself for the pending "discussion" (who am I kidding...all-out war) with my wife about getting bikes...
Now that my twins are 5 I am mentally preparing myself for the pending "discussion" (who am I kidding...all-out war) with my wife about getting bikes for them. I think a StacyC is a good step but she is no dummy and knows exactly what the next step after the eBike will be.

My wife is not a fan of bikes as a result of some of the injuries I have incurred through my own stupidity (fractured vertebrae, broken thumb, scars from offroad branches etc.) - she was with me in the hospital while the spinal surgeon was debating whether or not to operate and that has really turned her off the whole thing.

I think off-road and MX practice track riding is a great idea for imparting valuable mechanical and troubleshooting skills, teaching responsibility (If you can't maintain bike and do your chores you can't ride), keeping them out of trouble, exercise, something the kids & I can do together and it has been a lifelong passion of mine.

Have any of you had a real battle getting your significant other on board with kids riding and if so, do you have any advice for me?

Thanks in Advance.
How enthused in your riding/racing was your wife before your injuries?
Log Hopper
Fantasy
1586th
1/9/2019 11:58am
Torco1 wrote:
What you want to do is wait for her in the living room with the lights dimmed and when she comes in you say, "can you...
What you want to do is wait for her in the living room with the lights dimmed and when she comes in you say, "can you please sit down, we need to talk." Start telling her how you've been having an affair with the babysitter and you are planning on moving out and leaving her and the kids for the 18 year old. When she's sobbing uncontrollably and about to break, start laughing and tell her you're just kidding. She'll be so happy and relieved that none of it is true...... and that's when it's time to bring up buying dirt bikes. She wont give a shit about anything at that point other than the fact that her marriage isn't over. If you're good enough, you might even be able to get some exhaust systems out of it.
Brilliant! How many times will this work? What is the recommended wait time between purchases?
MELTON139
Fantasy
3627th
1/9/2019 12:08pm
My wife used to race and qualify for Lorretta's every year so she is ready for them to ride as much as I am! My oldest daughter turns 3 in February and she got to ride a PW50 for the first time last weekend! Now I have to decide if I should go ahead and get her one or wait until she learns to ride a bike and understands steering and balance better.

nch209
1/9/2019 4:51pm
Simple. Sell her car.

(Sal from Howard Stern Reference BTW)

I can offer no help...

My kids have no interest in riding, so I can't relate to what you are dealing with, Also, pre kids, and when were were dating, I way overjumped a big uphill, wadded myself up and knocked myself out. No broken bones, just some cuts and a beat up bike. After I gained my composure, I knew I was done for the day. Just not into it, and felt sick. Wifey calls me out and says BUT WE DROVE 3 HOURS TO GET HERE, and THE BIKE ISNT THAT BAD. I still packed it in for the day...

Sorry cant offer any help... but the concern on her end is good in the end.
1/9/2019 9:31pm
Our twins turned five in 2016. They got PWs for Christmas. Mom was happy. Their dad got a JR50 for Christmas in 1983. His mom was happy. When they married me, they knew that I raced every Sunday. We still try to do that together. Never had to pay for a lawyer, bail bondsman or drug rehab. This picture of the twins says it all. Of course their dad and I went to the World Vet together in November and we all went to Lorettas last summer. She'll come around.

wfo4ever
1/9/2019 9:42pm
Do not let her watch SX or read Racer X injury report. Hope she comes around, our sport needs all the new riders possible. Motorcycle riding off road or racing is in crisis mode in America, kids ride smart phones now.

Post a reply to: How to Convince Wife to Let Kids Ride

The Latest