How to Convince Wife to Let Kids Ride

JG2
1/7/2019 12:01pm Edited Date/Time 1/9/2019 12:08pm
Now that my twins are 5 I am mentally preparing myself for the pending "discussion" (who am I kidding...all-out war) with my wife about getting bikes for them. I think a StacyC is a good step but she is no dummy and knows exactly what the next step after the eBike will be.

My wife is not a fan of bikes as a result of some of the injuries I have incurred through my own stupidity (fractured vertebrae, broken thumb, scars from offroad branches etc.) - she was with me in the hospital while the spinal surgeon was debating whether or not to operate and that has really turned her off the whole thing.

I think off-road and MX practice track riding is a great idea for imparting valuable mechanical and troubleshooting skills, teaching responsibility (If you can't maintain bike and do your chores you can't ride), keeping them out of trouble, exercise, something the kids & I can do together and it has been a lifelong passion of mine.

Have any of you had a real battle getting your significant other on board with kids riding and if so, do you have any advice for me?

Thanks in Advance.
|
early
Fantasy
2139th
1/7/2019 12:05pm
Has she seen make up 2 mud?
1/7/2019 12:07pm
Buy your kids the electric ktm 50. Explain to her that it's just another silly electric bike, but the reality will be much different Smile .
shirey
Fantasy
4001st
1/7/2019 12:08pm
The reason my mom let me ride growing up was because she knew I liked it more than anything. I was always good at baseball and played in college but she knew at any time I’d quit if it was between baseball or racing when I was younger. Unfortunately, a financial situation pushed us out of racing and more towards baseball.
shirey
Fantasy
4001st
1/7/2019 12:09pm
The reason my mom let me ride growing up was because she knew I liked it more than anything. I was always good at baseball and played in college but she knew at any time I’d quit baseball if it was between baseball or racing when I was younger. Unfortunately, a financial situation pushed us out of racing and more towards baseball.

The Shop

kb228
1/7/2019 12:10pm
Clearly the only option here is to tie up your wife in the attic and go ride w your kids. Win the war before she knows its started
shirey
Fantasy
4001st
early wrote:
Lol this was going to be my response

Try to convince her that you have learned from your own mistakes/injuries and are prepared to teach your kids safety and good risk management. Maybe a trip to track to meet other moms and young riders would also help warm her to the idea.
newmann
1/7/2019 12:17pm
Natural progression. Buy them bicycles and skateboards to get them started. Send them out in the morning and tell them not to come back until dinner. That's how I was raised and look how I turned out.Laughing

She'll be just fine with dirt bikes after a couple years!
Jerkolantern
1/7/2019 1:23pm
"honey, I'm going to buy the boys a couple bikes I'll be right back" the wife says "blah blah blah" you say "shut the hell up" and leave with said boys. Gotta walk this young generation through everything... Sheesh
yz133rider
1/7/2019 1:26pm
First ask for your balls from her purse
Second buy them the bikes
ty159
1/7/2019 1:30pm
It's easier to ask forgiveness than permission.....
wanglimp
1/7/2019 1:33pm
The way I did it when my two oldest were 5 and 4, I told them in front of my wife that I would buy them a dirt bike if they learned how to ride a bike without training wheels. I was irritated that they wouldn't even try a bike without the training wheels, so I said it in the heat of the moment one day. If looks could kill from my wife I wouldn't be here right now. She was mad I promised the kids something without consulting her expert opinion, but would not go against my promise to the kids. Long story short they had their first dirt bike a week later. She would have had to make a promise breaker of me to my kids and that wasn't the route she would take. I'm still alive and still married. Good Luck!
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
760th
1/7/2019 1:39pm
Talk to her about getting her involved as well. Maybe a TTR125 or CRF150 for her? Make it a total family thing. Family bonding. She can't argue with that!

Good luck dude! My wife knew she married into moto and no matter what knew it would be a family thing, but she was also into it a little bit before me.
pitbike502
1/7/2019 1:41pm
Just do it. Best times of my life was being a moto dad, sad it will sort of close out at some point
jeffro503
1/7/2019 1:44pm
Ask?

No , no , no.......you inform her that she needs to pick up a second job to help pay for bike parts. Now go make me a samich! Laughing
foreman52
Fantasy
3155th
1/7/2019 1:52pm
ty159 wrote:
Hahah yes
1/7/2019 1:55pm
I can remember when I was growing up my parents let us kids do what we wanted usually. We wanted bikes we got bikes etc we hurt ourselves on them it was on us.

Then there was the kids who's parents coddled them. When they finally got a bike or played a sport etc they were usually the first ones to get hurt and suffer bigger injuries.
Tenacious P
1/7/2019 2:01pm
ty159 wrote:
This X1000. It's the only reason I have 3 motorcycles and 4 bicycles. If I tried the other way around I would instead have a bunch of expensive furniture. #womenlovefurniture >_<
rider41
1/7/2019 2:01pm
My ex wife knew when we had boys they would be riding, and shes an ICU nurse. Her stance... " Shit happens, why live under a blanket of pure, safe, boredom. Do what you want, just don't complain when you're hurt.

My sons friend cant ride because his mom is paranoid. Her son golfs, skateboards and rides a razor scooter. Kids been knocked out, chipped teeth, and had multiple casts on arms and legs, but, hes not riding. Poor kid is desperate to ride, she says nope, too dangerous.

My son has ridden for ten years and suffered his first trip to the hospital with a broken tib/fib this past December, thats all.

I do not have an answer for you man. They will crash and will get hurt. But, you'll be there and they will have a great bond with you, and her, if she can attend.
psg119
1/7/2019 2:02pm
I just barely got my wife to agree on letting me get a bike... Don't even know how it's going to go if our future kids want to ride. haha.
Hoseclamp
Fantasy
632nd
1/7/2019 2:04pm
Im more the type to make a decision as the man of the house and my decision will stand. Ill ask her some things but others I know what Im doing and thats that. I acknowledge that some people handle their relationships a little different so youll have to make your own decision. If they want dirtbikes I vote you just get them one when they are ready, get the proper safety gear, and tell the wife this is what were doing. Hopefully she will get on board when she sees how much they like it.
rikhek
1/7/2019 2:06pm Edited Date/Time 1/7/2019 2:07pm
yz133rider wrote:
I've got a great and understanding wife. I never even thought to ask her. She was a bit surprised when I pulled into driveway with a bike for my daughter and son on the same day. Matter of fact it sort of backfired. Next week I pulled up with a Yamaha RT180 for my wife to ride as she requested.

I buy all sorts of race cars, sport cars, etc and never even thought about asking her opinion. There's enough money in the bank for the bills and anything she wants so I just buy whatever I want. The way it should be as I'm the one making bank...

1/7/2019 2:11pm
There is no discussion when our little one is old enough. MX is who I am , and she will be exposed to it. If she wants to continue to ride great. If not, that’s fine too. She will have the chance.
captmoto
1/7/2019 2:18pm
Man, so many of you chose poorly.
Indy mxer
1/7/2019 2:22pm
yz133rider wrote:
LMFAO!!!!
1/7/2019 2:32pm
Welp, you can come in hot like some of these real men are telling you, but it sounds like you'll be following up this post with "Does anyone know a good divorce lawyer?" I can relate. When my wife was on leave with our 3rd kid, I broke both my wrists. When she was on leave with our 4th, broken shoulder. Still, I bought the girls a quad and my son an xr50. I think you've got the right mindset. You can't be wide open, planning this illustrious racing career. Trail bikes are a good way to ease into all of this. If it turns into racing, great. If not, you're accomplishing the ultimate goal. Which is riding motorcycles with your children.
sandman768
1/7/2019 2:33pm
Had my daughter riding a crf 50 @ 5 years old.....never even thought to ask the wife about it....
CozMan
1/7/2019 2:34pm
honestly, this stuff is so puzzling to me: If you know that you want your kids to have the opportunity to ride bikes, you have the money to do so, and you are a responsible parent.......then tell your wife you're buying them bikes and then GO DO IT. No mother in the history of the world is excited at the prospect of their child being injured doing anything, so don't expect her to cheer you on...but they're your kids also. Be a parent and do what you want to do. No amount of her nagging or bitching about safety should deter you. Because, in the end, if you give in to her safety fears, you'll be sitting there bitching about HER decision. Man up and do what you need to do.

Jesus - this was the wrong thread for me to read today - so tired of grown men cowering to their wives.
CozMan
1/7/2019 2:36pm
Welp, you can come in hot like some of these real men are telling you, but it sounds like you'll be following up this post with...
Welp, you can come in hot like some of these real men are telling you, but it sounds like you'll be following up this post with "Does anyone know a good divorce lawyer?" I can relate. When my wife was on leave with our 3rd kid, I broke both my wrists. When she was on leave with our 4th, broken shoulder. Still, I bought the girls a quad and my son an xr50. I think you've got the right mindset. You can't be wide open, planning this illustrious racing career. Trail bikes are a good way to ease into all of this. If it turns into racing, great. If not, you're accomplishing the ultimate goal. Which is riding motorcycles with your children.
I know you're joking, but if any women threw a big enough fit about buying dirt bikes for the kids that the word "divorce" came out of her mouth...I'd laugh and tell her to pick her shit up in garbage bags on the lawn.
Crush
1/7/2019 3:06pm
early wrote:
Holy shit, that was good.

Post a reply to: How to Convince Wife to Let Kids Ride

The Latest