How stupid would I be for buying an A kit

kawi448
Edited Date/Time 12/11/2015 4:53pm
Regardless of my financial situation, and the cost of an A kit, I am interested in purchasing an A kit.

I ride a 2015 crf250r. I see all these threads about how "I spoke with my wallet" and the a bunch of guys ripping them to shreds because they don't hold a pro license and they bought some high level upgrade.

I'm a B rider, and not a sandbagging pro "B riding". I know I know i know, you don't need the bling and I won't even be able to discern the difference between A kit and stock revalved. I've heard and I know.

It still would be ridiculously cool (in my opinion) to have a set, and I've few thread about vet C riders raving about how amazing they are.

I just want to hear some opinions. It would be a Showa SFF Air, either TAC or not. And I would consider a used set in very very good condition.

Like if I did buy one, and next year I want a new bike could I just get new fork lugs and transfer them?
|
KTMShane699
12/10/2015 5:18pm
Kit suspension usually retains its value. So provided you keep your stock stuff, you can come out ahead as opposed to doing a revalve. I sold my Ohlins and I think I lost $400 from what I paid for it. Depending on the changes from model year, they may bolt right up to your new bike. Some kits you can adapt, others you can't.

I believe when you do the math, kit suspension is a better deal than revalves!

Shane
Coyote
12/10/2015 5:23pm
kawi448 wrote:
Regardless of my financial situation, and the cost of an A kit, I am interested in purchasing an A kit. I ride a 2015 crf250r. I...
Regardless of my financial situation, and the cost of an A kit, I am interested in purchasing an A kit.

I ride a 2015 crf250r. I see all these threads about how "I spoke with my wallet" and the a bunch of guys ripping them to shreds because they don't hold a pro license and they bought some high level upgrade.

I'm a B rider, and not a sandbagging pro "B riding". I know I know i know, you don't need the bling and I won't even be able to discern the difference between A kit and stock revalved. I've heard and I know.

It still would be ridiculously cool (in my opinion) to have a set, and I've few thread about vet C riders raving about how amazing they are.

I just want to hear some opinions. It would be a Showa SFF Air, either TAC or not. And I would consider a used set in very very good condition.

Like if I did buy one, and next year I want a new bike could I just get new fork lugs and transfer them?
having ridden "A" kits and modified production there is no comparison. sharp square edges while turning was biggest noticeable difference as absorbtion rather than deflection pretty much says it all. I believe this type of action benefits lesser riders way more than experienced. sharp edges in general are plusher as the further the suspension moves down the stroke the more pressure it takes to open a valve/washer, etc. tolerances for bushings ie quality is worth the deniro imho!!
Markopolo400
12/10/2015 5:28pm
Dude spend the money. Chances are you'll look back some day and be like "Man that bike was sweet with the A kit".
Pirate421
12/10/2015 5:32pm
go for it man. You aren't stupid if it's available to buy and you like it,
Buy it. If your buddies give you shit for it they are either jealous or just hating. You live once and you're not getting any younger we only get to ride for so long I wouldn't care what anyone thought about me if I had a kit and was racing C class as long as I'm comfortable and having fun.

The Shop

CarlinoJoeVideo
Fantasy
2339th
12/10/2015 5:35pm
When you get it set up for your weight and riding style, you won't regret it! YOLOWhistling
Tim507
12/10/2015 5:56pm
Once you try it ......you'll never (want to) go back Woohoo
Rich Piano
12/10/2015 5:56pm
If A kits are so awesome, how come guys like Keefer or Eddie Ray just put a good set of set up spring forks on their bike and call it a day?

Maybe it's more a placebo effect than actually being that much better.

What do you do with A kits, when some hot shot on an 85 blows past you?
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
12/10/2015 6:19pm
Rich Piano wrote:
If A kits are so awesome, how come guys like Keefer or Eddie Ray just put a good set of set up spring forks on their...
If A kits are so awesome, how come guys like Keefer or Eddie Ray just put a good set of set up spring forks on their bike and call it a day?

Do you even ride dip shit?
imoto34
Fantasy
3174th
12/10/2015 6:22pm
You will not go back once you have your own A kit, setup for you. It will help in ways you never would think. Go for it. Sell em if you ever need and make your money back.
Justin345
12/10/2015 6:26pm
Definitely worth it! And you can sell it later to probably break even. YOLO. Get er dun. It's kind of shocking to me how every balks at buying A kit suspension. Compared to the car world, how many guys do you know that slap superchargers and supporting mods on their mustangs? $4-$6k and everyone does it. That same investment will get you the best suspension $ can buy. No brainer! And it's just badass.
Starcrossed
12/10/2015 6:28pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2015 6:37pm
imoto34 wrote:
Do you even ride dip shit?
Do you even lift bro?
keith101
12/10/2015 6:31pm
So not worth $$$, unless you just want to burn cash - entirely up to you. You can have production suspension work equally well for your riding ability.
JM485
12/10/2015 6:32pm
Rich Piano wrote:
If A kits are so awesome, how come guys like Keefer or Eddie Ray just put a good set of set up spring forks on their...

Still much smarter than this guy^
KTMShane699
12/10/2015 6:37pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2015 6:37pm
keith101 wrote:
So not worth $$$, unless you just want to burn cash - entirely up to you. You can have production suspension work equally well for your...
So not worth $$$, unless you just want to burn cash - entirely up to you. You can have production suspension work equally well for your riding ability.
And once you spend the money on a revalve, that money is gone. Nobody will pay you more for your bike because it has revalved suspension. And you can't sell the suspension separate (unless you have another set).

Kit suspension retains its value and typically depreciates less than the cost of revalves and has a strong marketplace as used goods.

Well the cost is higher, the value is more than revalves. It merely locks up some money in an asset unlike a revalve which is simply spent and gone. Cost and value are two different things. It's a concept that shouldn't be lost.

And if you get kit suspension really dialed in, production stuff won't work as well. There really is a difference. And if it's a placebo effect, who cares? Having ridden both, I'll keep my kit suspension every time.

Shane
KTMShane699
12/10/2015 6:38pm
Rich Piano wrote:

I'd smile to myself and think the kid on the 85 has some talent and wish him well. Then smile that I'm riding my bike the way I want to and set up how I want. I built my bike for me. Not for any other reason. It's not a race for everyone.

Shane
kawi448
12/10/2015 6:44pm
Now, regarding my financial situation, how stupid would it be to stretch my finances to get an A kit? (Keep in mind I'm in college, but please don't tell me "just focus on school! One day you can buy that)

walent215
12/10/2015 6:58pm
kawi448 wrote:
Now, regarding my financial situation, how stupid would it be to stretch my finances to get an A kit? (Keep in mind I'm in college, but...
Now, regarding my financial situation, how stupid would it be to stretch my finances to get an A kit? (Keep in mind I'm in college, but please don't tell me "just focus on school! One day you can buy that)

quit contemplating, just do it! it sounds like your finger is already on the trigger anyway! if you find good used kit you wont lose much money if you end up having to sell it!
JBernard_401
12/10/2015 7:22pm
whats your budget. SFF a kit is considerably more than spring. mainly age difference. sff kit hasnt been out that long = less on the market.
Rich Piano
12/10/2015 7:32pm
Those not a super fast B class or pro with A kits are the same guys that pay extra for nitrogen in their passenger car tires,

With a slow leak....
and still get passed by a kid on a stocker 85 that just holds the throttle open.

But if it makes you feel faster by all means.

I turn ribbed condoms inside out...for MY pleasure.

davis224
Fantasy
165th
12/10/2015 7:57pm
I have Enzo revalved stuff, and when I rode someone's A kit, it blew my mind. If you can make it happen, go for it.
12/10/2015 8:11pm
You've got two scenarios here:

Regardless of my financial situation, and the cost of an A kit

Without considering finances, absolutely! Really, why not?

Now, regarding my financial situation, how stupid would it be to stretch my finances to get an A kit?

As long as you're not in debt, absolutely! One caveat, are you sure you've taken your current suspension to its limits? You might be a great rider, but if you're not skilled at fine tuning your current set you're probably wasting your money buying an A kit.

YMXSB
12/10/2015 8:22pm
kawi448 wrote:
Regardless of my financial situation, and the cost of an A kit, I am interested in purchasing an A kit. I ride a 2015 crf250r. I...

Coyote wrote:
having ridden "A" kits and modified production there is no comparison. sharp square edges while turning was biggest noticeable difference as absorbtion rather than deflection pretty...
having ridden "A" kits and modified production there is no comparison. sharp square edges while turning was biggest noticeable difference as absorbtion rather than deflection pretty much says it all. I believe this type of action benefits lesser riders way more than experienced. sharp edges in general are plusher as the further the suspension moves down the stroke the more pressure it takes to open a valve/washer, etc. tolerances for bushings ie quality is worth the deniro imho!!
If you want to really build some speed, spend some time working the practice track with a raggedy suspension getting it clicked in at good as possible. Ride that SOB like you mean it. Then get down with the A kit. My concern is that you can't compress the springs and/or replicate the aggressive movements necessay for the suspension to perform as intended. Big concern, it makes you lazy if you not on the ragged edge.

keith101
12/10/2015 8:30pm
Rich Piano wrote:
Those not a super fast B class or pro with A kits are the same guys that pay extra for nitrogen in their passenger car tires...
Those not a super fast B class or pro with A kits are the same guys that pay extra for nitrogen in their passenger car tires,

With a slow leak....
and still get passed by a kid on a stocker 85 that just holds the throttle open.

But if it makes you feel faster by all means.

I turn ribbed condoms inside out...for MY pleasure.

Boarddesign
Fantasy
2035th
12/10/2015 8:36pm Edited Date/Time 12/10/2015 8:40pm
Some are choosing to revalve stock and add coatings inside and out + some internal upgrades. It's really affordable, performs much better / more durable.
NHtoWA421
12/10/2015 8:47pm
kawi448 wrote:
Now, regarding my financial situation, how stupid would it be to stretch my finances to get an A kit? (Keep in mind I'm in college, but...

Meh, just take out a student loan for next semester, buy the a-kit and pay it back later when you graduate. Much better idea than taking out a loan to buy booze and pot like some college buddies i had.
jeffro503
12/10/2015 8:58pm
Rich Piano wrote:

What?
VRR7
12/10/2015 9:05pm
How easy is it to get spares for A Kit suspension ?
keith101
12/10/2015 9:19pm
kawi448 wrote:

NHtoWA421 wrote:
Meh, just take out a student loan for next semester, buy the a-kit and pay it back later when you graduate. Much better idea than taking...
Meh, just take out a student loan for next semester, buy the a-kit and pay it back later when you graduate. Much better idea than taking out a loan to buy booze and pot like some college buddies i had.
I have to laugh at your short-sided advice. Pretty sad commentary.
KTMShane699
12/11/2015 1:05am
keith101 wrote:
I have to laugh at your short-sided advice. Pretty sad commentary.
This statement you and I agree on.

The only way you should be doing anything with your bike is if you can afford it. And by afford it, it means not tacking it onto student loan debt or drowning in debt to do so.

Shane

Post a reply to: How stupid would I be for buying an A kit

The Latest