How stupid would I be for buying an A kit

Related:
Create New Tag

12/10/2015 5:15 PM

Regardless of my financial situation, and the cost of an A kit, I am interested in purchasing an A kit.

I ride a 2015 crf250r. I see all these threads about how "I spoke with my wallet" and the a bunch of guys ripping them to shreds because they don't hold a pro license and they bought some high level upgrade.

I'm a B rider, and not a sandbagging pro "B riding". I know I know i know, you don't need the bling and I won't even be able to discern the difference between A kit and stock revalved. I've heard and I know.

It still would be ridiculously cool (in my opinion) to have a set, and I've few thread about vet C riders raving about how amazing they are.

I just want to hear some opinions. It would be a Showa SFF Air, either TAC or not. And I would consider a used set in very very good condition.

Like if I did buy one, and next year I want a new bike could I just get new fork lugs and transfer them?

|

12/10/2015 5:18 PM

Kit suspension usually retains its value. So provided you keep your stock stuff, you can come out ahead as opposed to doing a revalve. I sold my Ohlins and I think I lost $400 from what I paid for it. Depending on the changes from model year, they may bolt right up to your new bike. Some kits you can adapt, others you can't.

I believe when you do the math, kit suspension is a better deal than revalves!

Shane

|

12/10/2015 5:23 PM

having ridden "A" kits and modified production there is no comparison. sharp square edges while turning was biggest noticeable difference as absorbtion rather than deflection pretty much says it all. I believe this type of action benefits lesser riders way more than experienced. sharp edges in general are plusher as the further the suspension moves down the stroke the more pressure it takes to open a valve/washer, etc. tolerances for bushings ie quality is worth the deniro imho!!

|

12/10/2015 5:28 PM

Dude spend the money. Chances are you'll look back some day and be like "Man that bike was sweet with the A kit".

|

12/10/2015 5:32 PM

go for it man. You aren't stupid if it's available to buy and you like it,
Buy it. If your buddies give you shit for it they are either jealous or just hating. You live once and you're not getting any younger we only get to ride for so long I wouldn't care what anyone thought about me if I had a kit and was racing C class as long as I'm comfortable and having fun.

|

12/10/2015 5:35 PM

When you get it set up for your weight and riding style, you won't regret it! YOLOwhistling

|

12/10/2015 5:56 PM

Once you try it ......you'll never (want to) go back w00t

|

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Marzocchi forks with me as the motopilot

12/10/2015 5:56 PM

If A kits are so awesome, how come guys like Keefer or Eddie Ray just put a good set of set up spring forks on their bike and call it a day?

Maybe it's more a placebo effect than actually being that much better.

What do you do with A kits, when some hot shot on an 85 blows past you?

|

12/10/2015 6:19 PM

Rich Piano wrote:

If A kits are so awesome, how come guys like Keefer or Eddie Ray just put a good set of set up spring forks on their bike and ...more

Do you even ride dip shit?

|

12/10/2015 6:22 PM

You will not go back once you have your own A kit, setup for you. It will help in ways you never would think. Go for it. Sell em if you ever need and make your money back.

|

12/10/2015 6:26 PM

Definitely worth it! And you can sell it later to probably break even. YOLO. Get er dun. It's kind of shocking to me how every balks at buying A kit suspension. Compared to the car world, how many guys do you know that slap superchargers and supporting mods on their mustangs? $4-$6k and everyone does it. That same investment will get you the best suspension $ can buy. No brainer! And it's just badass.

|

12/10/2015 6:28 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2015 6:37 PM

imoto34 wrote:

Do you even ride dip shit?

Do you even lift bro?

|

12/10/2015 6:31 PM

So not worth $$$, unless you just want to burn cash - entirely up to you. You can have production suspension work equally well for your riding ability.

|

yea mate!

12/10/2015 6:32 PM

Rich Piano wrote:

If A kits are so awesome, how come guys like Keefer or Eddie Ray just put a good set of set up spring forks on their bike and ...more

Still much smarter than this guy^

|

Make Hillclimb Great Again

Ratbeach Racing

Instagram / YouTube: @485Josh

3dpmoto.com

12/10/2015 6:37 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2015 6:37 PM

keith101 wrote:

So not worth $$$, unless you just want to burn cash - entirely up to you. You can have production suspension work equally well ...more

And once you spend the money on a revalve, that money is gone. Nobody will pay you more for your bike because it has revalved suspension. And you can't sell the suspension separate (unless you have another set).

Kit suspension retains its value and typically depreciates less than the cost of revalves and has a strong marketplace as used goods.

Well the cost is higher, the value is more than revalves. It merely locks up some money in an asset unlike a revalve which is simply spent and gone. Cost and value are two different things. It's a concept that shouldn't be lost.

And if you get kit suspension really dialed in, production stuff won't work as well. There really is a difference. And if it's a placebo effect, who cares? Having ridden both, I'll keep my kit suspension every time.

Shane

|

12/10/2015 6:38 PM

Rich Piano wrote:

I'd smile to myself and think the kid on the 85 has some talent and wish him well. Then smile that I'm riding my bike the way I want to and set up how I want. I built my bike for me. Not for any other reason. It's not a race for everyone.

Shane

|

12/10/2015 6:44 PM

Now, regarding my financial situation, how stupid would it be to stretch my finances to get an A kit? (Keep in mind I'm in college, but please don't tell me "just focus on school! One day you can buy that)

|

12/10/2015 6:58 PM

kawi448 wrote:

Now, regarding my financial situation, how stupid would it be to stretch my finances to get an A kit? (Keep in mind I'm in ...more

quit contemplating, just do it! it sounds like your finger is already on the trigger anyway! if you find good used kit you wont lose much money if you end up having to sell it!

|

12/10/2015 7:22 PM

whats your budget. SFF a kit is considerably more than spring. mainly age difference. sff kit hasnt been out that long = less on the market.

|

-'09 KX500AF

- '19 KX450F

12/10/2015 7:32 PM

Those not a super fast B class or pro with A kits are the same guys that pay extra for nitrogen in their passenger car tires,

With a slow leak....
and still get passed by a kid on a stocker 85 that just holds the throttle open.

But if it makes you feel faster by all means.

I turn ribbed condoms inside out...for MY pleasure.

|

12/10/2015 7:57 PM

I have Enzo revalved stuff, and when I rode someone's A kit, it blew my mind. If you can make it happen, go for it.

|

12/10/2015 8:11 PM

You've got two scenarios here:

Regardless of my financial situation, and the cost of an A kit

Without considering finances, absolutely! Really, why not?

Now, regarding my financial situation, how stupid would it be to stretch my finances to get an A kit?

As long as you're not in debt, absolutely! One caveat, are you sure you've taken your current suspension to its limits? You might be a great rider, but if you're not skilled at fine tuning your current set you're probably wasting your money buying an A kit.

|

12/10/2015 8:22 PM

Coyote wrote:

having ridden "A" kits and modified production there is no comparison. sharp square edges while turning was biggest noticeable ...more

If you want to really build some speed, spend some time working the practice track with a raggedy suspension getting it clicked in at good as possible. Ride that SOB like you mean it. Then get down with the A kit. My concern is that you can't compress the springs and/or replicate the aggressive movements necessay for the suspension to perform as intended. Big concern, it makes you lazy if you not on the ragged edge.

|

12/10/2015 8:30 PM

Rich Piano wrote:

Those not a super fast B class or pro with A kits are the same guys that pay extra for nitrogen in their passenger car tires,
...more

">
|

yea mate!

12/10/2015 8:36 PM
Edited Date/Time: 12/10/2015 8:40 PM

Some are choosing to revalve stock and add coatings inside and out + some internal upgrades. It's really affordable, performs much better / more durable.

|

12/10/2015 8:47 PM

kawi448 wrote:

Now, regarding my financial situation, how stupid would it be to stretch my finances to get an A kit? (Keep in mind I'm in ...more

Meh, just take out a student loan for next semester, buy the a-kit and pay it back later when you graduate. Much better idea than taking out a loan to buy booze and pot like some college buddies i had.

|

12/10/2015 8:58 PM

Rich Piano wrote:

What?

|

And there goes Jeffro. One of God's own prototypes. A super high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die.

Pimpin' Ho's , Rollin' fatty's......drinkin' beers , beers , beers!! ~ Ja

12/10/2015 9:05 PM

How easy is it to get spares for A Kit suspension ?

|

12/10/2015 9:19 PM

kawi448 wrote:

NHtoWA421 wrote:

Meh, just take out a student loan for next semester, buy the a-kit and pay it back later when you graduate. Much better idea ...more

I have to laugh at your short-sided advice. Pretty sad commentary.

|

yea mate!

12/10/2015 9:57 PM

Do what ever makes you happy...

|

Who Ever Dies With The Most Toys Wins...
No Point Waiting Till Then... Newman Wins