How scary a leap was Suicide Mountain ?

Related:
Create New Tag

8/28/2013 2:22 PM

I was looking through an MXA from 83 and the Saddlback National was covered. They described it as a 20 ft incline over a 20 ft. plateau to the next ledge, but said it was a blind jump...when you went for it all you saw was sky. Hannah, Johnson, Mike Bell, Billy Liles, and Tom Carson jumped it on their 250s. Glover, Warren Reid, Goat Breker and Magoo did it on 500s, and Jeff Ward was the only 125 rider to clear it. What was this jump like compared to some of today's obstacles?

|

8/28/2013 2:25 PM

Before my time but Im hoping someone has some videos of said jump! Sounds like a mans jump for sure... Fitting for the Ward!

|

It aint nothing but a little bit of this and a little bit of Braaaap!!!

8/28/2013 2:27 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/28/2013 2:30 PM

LaRocco's Leap only smaller, less of a run at it, dang near straight up.

Watch just past the 34 second mark....

?feature=player_detailpage

|

Arkmx.
Jim G.

Thank you to our Sponsors!
Lucas Oil, MavTV, Engine Ice, Factory Connection, Pro Clean, FLY, FMF, EVS, Oakley, Flow Vision, Ryno Power, Gaerne, Stickman Grapix, MotoHose, Raines Racing, Motosport.com, Ride 365, The PIT Enterprise, JTG Racing.

8/28/2013 2:36 PM

Arkmx wrote:

...more

That's not real motocross...no trees...the dirt sucks...its dusty...its probably hot...and I bet the riders hated it.

|

8/28/2013 2:36 PM

|

Arkmx.
Jim G.

Thank you to our Sponsors!
Lucas Oil, MavTV, Engine Ice, Factory Connection, Pro Clean, FLY, FMF, EVS, Oakley, Flow Vision, Ryno Power, Gaerne, Stickman Grapix, MotoHose, Raines Racing, Motosport.com, Ride 365, The PIT Enterprise, JTG Racing.

8/28/2013 2:39 PM

micky dymond cleared it too on a 125.

|

8/28/2013 2:49 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/28/2013 2:50 PM

I LOVE it!

Where is the loam, the ruts and the the big loamy whoops? Man, that track is hardpack with a capital H.

Wow, every pro would be complaining today.

Never knew it was that much of an incline. That shot of ole Hanny shows me how much of an incline that track was on.

Amazing what we ride today, and they did this 30 years ago!!

Just blew me away what they did on that ancient (as my boy calls it) equipment.

|

Older and YZer!!!

8/28/2013 2:50 PM

Those 500s were quick out of the gate. I can only dream what a modern 500 DI 2t would feel like if development wouldn't have stopped in the 80s. Insane torque from 2k-10k and change a piston every 200 hours. WTF went wrong.

|

8/28/2013 2:53 PM

I do believe that Phil Larsen was the first to jump it.......perhaps some SCAL Guys can commentsmile

|

Germany 1975 250 CZ Centerport, laydown shocks, mikuni with reed valve, Marzocchi forks with me as the motopilot

8/28/2013 2:56 PM

Fast forward to 4:33 on the video above and you can see a couple guys clear it - and one guy wad in. Thats the best section of the video if you want to see Suicide Mountain.

|

"This is your life, and it's ending one minute at a time"

"If life hands you a cheeseburger, you'd better fucking take it."

8/28/2013 3:00 PM

I'm just amazed at what they did on those old bikes. I raced in that era, still race today. We aren't going that much faster. I guess that's why that kid did so well at Loretta's on a 86 Honda.

The more things change , the more they stay the same. Johnson had balls, just like Villy does today.

Now I see why all the old timers say you can never compare one era with another. The cream always rises to the top, so those guys are as bad ass then as the guys today. Just different time. You cannot deny desire, which wins races.

Never saw this. thanks for sharing!!!!

|

Older and YZer!!!

8/28/2013 3:02 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/28/2013 3:03 PM

Tim507 wrote:

I do believe that Phil Larsen was the first to jump it.......perhaps some SCAL Guys can commentsmile

Possibly...the riders I mentioned were in the article covering the 83 national and those were the riders that jumped it that day.

|

8/28/2013 3:07 PM

Tim507 wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:

Possibly...the riders I mentioned were in the article covering the 83 national and those were the riders that jumped it that ...more

other sanctioning bodies ran there before the ama and the national, smx, cmc, nma, crc, only pro riders were allowed to race suicide and banzai mtn.

|

8/28/2013 3:14 PM

good read on it right here

http://motocrossactionmag.com/Main/News/29fd44eb-cc11-4c1d-8396-4672dd0fa97d.aspx

it was gnarly even by today's standards id say.. although ive seen plenty of local novice/int. kids do stuff just as gnarly these days too

|

8/28/2013 3:17 PM

Arkmx wrote:

...more
Titan1 wrote:

That's not real motocross...no trees...the dirt sucks...its dusty...its probably hot...and I bet the riders hated it.

I was there.

|

8/28/2013 3:21 PM

Ah man...the sound of 2 strokes and tracks with hills. Thanks for the video

|

8/28/2013 3:33 PM

Watching this makes me laugh at all These kids crying about track conditions at races.. "It needs groomed" "it's too dusty" blah blah.. I mean I don't like dusty conditions but I'm not gonna bang on the people who bust there asses prepping and getting tracks ready for us to race/ride and they have the nerve to cry and complain

|

8/28/2013 3:51 PM

Arkmx wrote:

...more
Titan1 wrote:

dr516 wrote:

I was there.

Good for you. I'm happy for you. unsure ermm

|

8/28/2013 4:21 PM

damn those guys got some balls!!!

|

be another brick in the wall, or get clipped
[LINK TO IMAGE]

8/28/2013 4:27 PM

Nobody thought of putting a little water down the day before the race? sad

|

I have the right to remain awesome.

8/28/2013 4:45 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/28/2013 4:47 PM

It was knarly for sure, I never jumped it but I jumped onto the face once and thats allit took.

By todays standards it is still a big jump, but the thing about it was that it was steeeep, but I think most 250fs would jump it. A 125 struggled because it was hard pack and you couldn't get a real good drive without wheel spin along the way and as the track dried it became harder to do it.

The first guy to ever jump it was Lance Moorewood on a 125 during practice.

|

8/28/2013 4:48 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/28/2013 4:48 PM

MBBadgers wrote:

micky dymond cleared it too on a 125.

Nohe didn't, Micky never raced a 125 when they were running that part of the track.

|

8/28/2013 4:50 PM

Tim507 wrote:

ATKpilot99 wrote:

Possibly...the riders I mentioned were in the article covering the 83 national and those were the riders that jumped it that ...more

MBBadgers wrote:

other sanctioning bodies ran there before the ama and the national, smx, cmc, nma, crc, only pro riders were allowed to race ...more

Those other clubs never ran Suicide Mountain, they only did it for the national.

|

8/28/2013 4:51 PM

motosmith wrote:

Nobody thought of putting a little water down the day before the race? sad

The track was muddy in morning practice with grooves.

|

8/28/2013 4:55 PM

honda907 wrote:

I LOVE it!

Where is the loam, the ruts and the the big loamy whoops? Man, that track is hardpack with a capital H.

Wow, ...more

You should have seen how bad it was on amateur day. In hindsight I wonder if dual sport tires would have worked better? Seriously.

|

8/28/2013 4:59 PM

Suicide Mountain was never built it was actually different steps for parking and watching the races. Then some pro's out playing after a practice moto's was daring each other on different jumps and when Jody designed the pro track he included that section. Oh BTW that was the start of freestyle also.

|

8/28/2013 5:11 PM

What happened to the track? If the land was not developed, why did it close? East coast and still a kid in 84.

|

8/28/2013 5:11 PM

Anyone have any stories or pictures of the "magoo double" at that track? I remember reading about this way back when and not understanding how someone could jump two jumps at once. I don't think I've seen many pictures of that jump if any but I'm curious just how big it was.

|

8/28/2013 5:52 PM
Edited Date/Time: 8/28/2013 5:53 PM

RMT wrote:

Anyone have any stories or pictures of the "magoo double" at that track? I remember reading about this way back when and not ...more

It wasn't big by today's standards. But I can remember thinking about that jump all the way around the track until I got to it, jumping it, then thinking about for the whole next lap!....I would also say it wasn't built as well as todays jumps are either!...haha

|

8/28/2013 5:55 PM

RMT wrote:

Anyone have any stories or pictures of the "magoo double" at that track? I remember reading about this way back when and not ...more

mxjef wrote:

It wasn't big by today's standards. But I can remember thinking about that jump all the way around the track until I got to ...more

[LINK TO IMAGE]
|