How often do you crash?

Edited Date/Time 9/5/2018 6:12am
Reading the thread about the most common MX injury and the laundry list of injuries some you guys have had makes me wonder how many soil samples you'd guess you'd have had if on average you went riding once a week for a year at a track(s) with its/their share of decent sized 80'+ hits on race or practice days when there's other riders on the track.

Obviously it's a random occurrence that can come in waves so it's just a guess.

|
Marty1028
Fantasy
994th
9/3/2018 11:53am
more than 100 at least. imma dirt magnet.
honda341
9/3/2018 11:54am Edited Date/Time 9/3/2018 11:57am
1 - 2 slide out or tip overs a riding day.
Averaging 1 big hit every year or so. read as (concussion or knocked out. Haven't broken anything in years, knock on wood)

Aint crashing you aint trying?
Motofinne
9/3/2018 11:54am
Not nearly enough. What i mean by that is that i don't push my pace enough to get better. Not even in slower corners were crashing would result in an injury in about 1/10 crashes.

The Shop

SoCalMX70
9/3/2018 12:14pm
In the same vain as Motofinne, not nearly enough. I've crashed once this year, in 7 races and countless practice days. And that crash was the result of a water truck soaking a hardpacked landing literally right before I came up over a jump. My bike went right out from under me like it was on ice. Small scrape on my arm, got back up, continued on.

I'm being too timid, especially on some jumps that I know I am capable of. In fact, every time I clear a new jump I pretty much audibly say "All the build up for that?!" or something similar.
andyyam
9/3/2018 12:25pm
How often do I crash ? too often . I need to learn to back it down a bit .
9/3/2018 1:01pm
Between 2009 and 2013 when I was riding moto nearly every weekend (sometimes twice a week) and racing a lot of off-road, I was averaging one broken bone a year. Usually out of commission for 3-6 months then back at it.

None of them ever came from riding over my head or doing something ultra risky. I’ve never been a big jumper. Mainly from riding while tired or pushing it a little farther (or faster) than I should have. A couple broken bones were just bum luck.

If you ride a lot and push your limits you will crash and get hurt. I always felt like I rode better after I came back from an injury.

I don’t mind breaking a bone now and again. I do mind compromising my friends fun and cutting their ride short when they have to haul me to the hospital, or having to rely on family for help post surgery. Riding a motorcycle is a very selfish endeavor so relying on others when you get hurt kinda sucks for them.
9/3/2018 2:04pm
I've crashed maybe 5 times this summer. Only one of them was a pretty big get off and I walked away totally fine. To that guy who crashes 1-2 every riding session, you are doing something wrong. I only have a handful of broken bones in about 30 years. Easily at least as many concussions though.
plowboy
9/3/2018 2:07pm
Honestly and ashamedly, I have to admit I haven't been riding/racinlg in 3 years. I wore out my bike and just haven't had the time and money to fix it. But, before that I was riding 4 or 5 times a week and racing HS at least once or twice a month. I had a good long multiple year run with nothing more than small tip overs in technical sections. This was after many years of being a crash monster. At my best I'm a mid pack B rider...at chicken licksGrinning
Zesiger 112
Fantasy
2058th
9/3/2018 2:18pm
Going to be called out for this...but I hardly ever hit the ground, when I do it's because I miss a line and stall out highly in a corner. I rode yesterday and nearly ate shit 3 time but never went down. And one of those times my feet came off the pegs and landed under me on the seat still didn't fall. Lucky I guess, watch now I'll go out there and bust my ass for saying that.
mxrider971
9/3/2018 2:29pm
Only tip over once or twice a year. I push myself a lot on practice days aswell. It’s all about staying mentally focused and hitting your marks.
chump6784
9/3/2018 2:41pm
I find that I have a period where I won't crash at all then I up the speed and start having crashes. Mainly small tip overs, losing the front end sort of thing. Then I get used to that speed and stop crashing. Then the cycle starts again.
I've had small crashes the last 2 or 3 times I've been out, before that I hadn't had a tip over in ages. No big crashes for a long time, being a father and business owner does that to ya
dirtmike86
9/3/2018 3:04pm
Remove this thread immediately!! I asked myself last time i crashed hard and its been about 10 years.. Then i realized its been too long and now iam cursed and iam going to crash my brians out next time i ride.
9/3/2018 5:45pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
Remove this thread immediately!! I asked myself last time i crashed hard and its been about 10 years.. Then i realized its been too long and...
Remove this thread immediately!! I asked myself last time i crashed hard and its been about 10 years.. Then i realized its been too long and now iam cursed and iam going to crash my brians out next time i ride.

LOL....I thought about jinxing myself as well.

After about a 14 year hiatus ive been back on the bike for about a year now and the crash above is the only time ive gone down.... although I've had a couple of close calls that could have easily gone the other way.
EZZA 95B
Fantasy
1151st
9/3/2018 5:54pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2018 5:55pm
When I started racing 125's I ended up hitting the deck a fair bit (I was pretty small/weak) and my number was 99.
My old man said "you're upside down so often you should change your number to 66". Laughing
kb228
9/3/2018 6:02pm
A couple tip overs a month. I dont do anything to really warrant a big crash tho.
Tim507
9/3/2018 6:24pm
At my age the goal is zero hard get offs! However the first part of July I ate it hard and it was not on the frgn track. It was on the ride back to my rig. It was at Washougal. Moved to the left just below the Amateur start to not interfere with a vehicle on the access road and found a frgn 3 ft ditch in the grass! Ribs man the damn ribs. 3 weeks later I was bitten by a venomous frgn spider! Just got back on the bike Sunday........Oh well...such is lifeWhistling
Tryhard
9/3/2018 8:39pm Edited Date/Time 9/3/2018 8:40pm
Some may disagree , but I was brought up in the neck of the woods where the ol saying is . If you ain't wrecked, you ain't rode it.

Normally I may slip out , or tip over everytime I ride atleast once . Sometimes I dont . So normally every time I ride I put the bike down in some way shape or form atleast once .
Robgvx
9/3/2018 10:36pm
I went testing with Jeff Ward once at De Anza. I put on elbow and shoulder pads as it was like concrete. Jeff just pulled on a jersey. I said ‘Aren’t you worried about skinning your elbows if you crash’? He replied ‘I’ve crashed once this year’.
Doddy
9/3/2018 11:21pm
Rarely do I take hard slams, but I do tip over/stall/dismount at least a few times during a 2 hour+ HS. At an hour and a half she's still pulling and I'm ready for a nap. It happens.
lumpy790
9/4/2018 7:44am
If you do not crash every now and then you are not trying hard enough - Gary Bailey
jeffro503
9/4/2018 8:32am
I went down twice last weekend. Lucky for me they were both coming out of corner's. Had a couple " oh shit " moment's the past two years , but nothing that hurt to bad. Working for myself , and the work I do......if I'm broken up , I can't work.

In this sport though.....shit can happen. Just have to ride within your means , and make sure your saving's account is stocked up for that ill timed vacation. ( Knock on wood it doesn't happen! )
mattyhamz2
Fantasy
846th
9/4/2018 8:45am
dirtmike86 wrote:
Remove this thread immediately!! I asked myself last time i crashed hard and its been about 10 years.. Then i realized its been too long and...
[embed] https://youtu.be/1dZbQo41EZ0 [/embed] LOL....I thought about jinxing myself as well. After about a 14 year hiatus ive been back on the bike for about a year...

After about a 14 year hiatus ive been back on the bike for about a year now and the crash above is the only time ive gone down.... although I've had a couple of close calls that could have easily gone the other way.
Crazy how that place really hasn't changed much since I lived in Vegas in 09. Is Jason still running it?

On topic, I always try to stay smooth and keep her on two wheels. I'll slide out here and there and I've had some big crashes, but I always try to ride smooth and focused. I'm almost 28, manage a store for the company I work for and have a family so my days of trying super hard to get faster are behind me. If I get to ride more and get faster that way, then cool, but if not it's no big deal to me. I have friends that go out and push passed their limits and they end up with a broken bone a year usually. I don't want that. I'd rather come home safe and be able to ride again next weekend. I'm not out there to win practice(JM485 reference). I have no want to be the fastest guy out there, I'm out there to have fun no matter how fast or slow I'm going.
Graybeard
Fantasy
2206th
9/4/2018 8:46am
For me it’s all about riding under control as much as possible. I fall mostly in turns, with slide outs or high siding out of a rut, maybe once every couple months. But if I try and ride arenacross or SX style tracks, I’m down several times a day, and most of them hurt!
Mike68
9/4/2018 10:06am
Thank you to the OP for this topic as I don’t feel as bad anymore reading these posts....as I sit in the waiting room of my Orthopedic doctor.

Crashed this weekend while racing Vet beginner class and hopefully only an ankle sprain. Only been riding 2 years and racing 1 year. I average 1 big crash a year that keeps me from riding for 4-6 weeks while recovering. I average probably 1 tip-over/washout per day but pick up my bike and keep going.
PRM31
9/4/2018 10:20am
Depends on the bike. When riding a 125 (144), even if pushing to my limit I find I don't crash very often. I can go many rides with nothing. Light bikes with less engine inertia are more forgiving. If riding a 250 2t I crash/tip over once every few rides with a 250 4t about the same.
9/4/2018 11:04am
Well this is my 1st year riding a full season in many years. So recently i started feeling more comfortable. On Saturday i had my first moto where i felt confident enough to push. On the last lap, in a good bAttle, i went down hard in an off camber and hit my head and ribs. Now i have a cracked rib.

Definitely feel that the extra comfort is what encouraged me to push....and it bit. As much as it hurts now, im still pumped on that race, even though i didn't finish.
bvm111
9/4/2018 12:10pm
dirtmike86 wrote:
[embed] https://youtu.be/1dZbQo41EZ0 [/embed] LOL....I thought about jinxing myself as well. After about a 14 year hiatus ive been back on the bike for about a year...

I was there that day.. I could see my truck in the pits!

At this point tin my life I try to stay within my limits, however I am not immune to a tip over every once and a wile!
peelout
9/4/2018 12:52pm Edited Date/Time 9/4/2018 1:07pm
i used to crash a lot.

i still do, but i used to, too

Post a reply to: How often do you crash?

The Latest