How often do you...

Shawn142
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 2:16pm
crash?

After reading a few injury threads it got me to wondering how often some of you guys eat it. Honestly if I broke more bones than I had fingers and toes to count I'd take up table tennis, but it seems like a lot of guys on here are willing to rack up a serious injury list and still keep trucking. So on average in lets say a month, how often are you picking yourself up off the ground from even a tip over? And what's your average number of yard sales yearly?

To start things off in the last 2 years I've had one big crash that doubled my overall broken bone count from 2 to 4. And I'm probably jinxing myself but it was still cold outside the last time I hit a rut wrong and knifed the front end for a little tip over.
|
Sunhouse
8/21/2011 4:47am
I don´t ride anymore as it has gotten too expensive and time consuming with uni and all, but when I did, I´d tip over every damn time I rode, and often times a proper crash or two as well Blush
Highsider
8/21/2011 5:09am
I race fairly often.
I don't dare crash, as I would never get my damn 4-stroke started in time for these short "sprint" races, these days.Cheerful

Practice days, I don't mind an occasional tip over.
8/21/2011 8:50am
Tip overs are quite often for me on practice days, but yard sales are rare (knock on wood, because as soon as I leave here im going riding)
WhKnuckle
8/21/2011 9:06am
I've worked in industrial operations for a long time so I'm real familiar with safety statistics. Safety experts say for every X near-misses, you have a few less first aid care injuries, a few less doctor care injuries, a few less lost time accidents and a few less deaths. If X is a big enough number, all the other numbers are going to get bigger. So the more times you tip over in a corner, the more likely you are to have a real yard sale, or go to the hospital, or die. If you're falling over a lot, you'd better change something, because you're living on borrowed time. Besides, you don't see Ryan Dungey falling over in corners every moto or every race, or even every 5 races. If you're falling over all the time, you're doing something technically wrong or you're not concentrating, or you're riding over your head, and all that stuff is going to bite you if you don't fix it.

If our suspension isn't working good, we'll pay big money to get it fixed. If we fall down every time we ride, we don't do a thing about it.

The Shop

Scooby
8/21/2011 9:08am
My crashes always came in spurts. But when I got out of a "crashing stage" I was usually a little faster. Then I would go so long between crashes that I couldnt remember the last one. As far as yard sales, one maybe two a year. This is practicing twice a week and racing every weekend and intermediate speed.
flarider
8/21/2011 9:11am
Every day.....sometimes twice a day

Oh, wait....crash?

Nevermind

machine
8/21/2011 2:23pm
I rarely crash (i hope i don't jinx myself) because i'm a a point in my riding that if I don't feel comfortable or just "not feeling it" like today for example, I back it down. I had a death grip on the bars today and wore myself out too quick. It was pretty much a sucky day.

I didn't used to do that in my younger days and crashed a lot more back then.

My last injury was about a year ago. Tore my left peck muscle off of where it attaches to your upper arm. That required surgery and was just a freak accident. Other than that I went for a about 4 years without anything major.
stackman17
8/21/2011 2:29pm
I quit riding two years ago. In 2007-2008 alone, I broke my neck, both wrists, tib/fib-ankle. After that I would crash everytime I rode and resulted in a trip to the hospital. I attribute it to three factors, being older, riding a four stroke, and trying to go as fast as I once was. I am selling the four stroke and getting back onto a two smoker to ride with my son and sometimes race.
rider41
8/21/2011 2:35pm
I picked up my new bike ( used) in January and I have fallen twice. Once because it was wet and I changed my line and the other was a tip over. I ride at max about 75% of my top speed. So I ride conservatively and don't fall, and still ride at a decent pace.
8/21/2011 4:06pm
Before i got new tires on my bike i would atleast wash out in a turn every time i go ride. Other than that the last serious carsh i had was 2 years ago on my yz125 when i broke my collar bone and had a concussion.
8/21/2011 4:09pm
Shawn142 wrote:
crash? After reading a few injury threads it got me to wondering how often some of you guys eat it. Honestly if I broke more bones...
crash?

After reading a few injury threads it got me to wondering how often some of you guys eat it. Honestly if I broke more bones than I had fingers and toes to count I'd take up table tennis, but it seems like a lot of guys on here are willing to rack up a serious injury list and still keep trucking. So on average in lets say a month, how often are you picking yourself up off the ground from even a tip over? And what's your average number of yard sales yearly?

To start things off in the last 2 years I've had one big crash that doubled my overall broken bone count from 2 to 4. And I'm probably jinxing myself but it was still cold outside the last time I hit a rut wrong and knifed the front end for a little tip over.
I don't count small stuff, and pencil myself in for 1 big crash per year. Luck determines whether or not i get injured in that 1 big one. If you don't think you are going to eat it once in a while, you are in the wrong sport...
8/21/2011 5:23pm
Tip overs, almost everytime I ride I have atleast one. Crashes, happen when I lose focus or try riding when mentally not there, which is when hungry, tired not in shape, haven't ridden for a while and try to ride over my head(brain works faster than body).
FLmxer
Fantasy
905th
8/21/2011 5:28pm
I don't crash very often but when I do it's usually something big. Hip and back in last five years. I may fall in a turn pushing the limits once in a great while but nothing serious. I am old but still am one of the only guys jumping certain things most days at the track. I don't ever worry about crashing on jumps or rhythm sections really but more the high speed swap to high side is scary for me. You never know where the edge is unless you fall off a few times.
kripple428
8/21/2011 5:36pm
Luckily for me and not to be bragging but one of the things I'm proud of being really smooth and having good form I've rode just about every weekend since the beginning of summer and have only had 2 tip overs in corners and since I started riding I've only had 2 injuries (broke 4 bones in my leg which got 32 screws and 2 rods and torn ligament in my ankle) but I've seen some people that cant go ride without have a serious getoff
machine
8/21/2011 6:46pm
I've never had any injury that has required rods or screws, does that mean I haven't had a serious injury?

I'm good with that, i'll tell my wife that i've never been seriously injured, so she stops nagging me to stop riding because i'm too old. Smile
kripple428
8/21/2011 6:59pm
machine wrote:
I've never had any injury that has required rods or screws, does that mean I haven't had a serious injury? I'm good with that, i'll tell...
I've never had any injury that has required rods or screws, does that mean I haven't had a serious injury?

I'm good with that, i'll tell my wife that i've never been seriously injured, so she stops nagging me to stop riding because i'm too old. Smile
haha yeah man it sucks for sure! It hurts everyday especially when it's cold. freaking swapped in a set of rollers first time riding a 4fiddy and the back wheel crushed my leg broke my tib/fib straight across and then the platform your knee sits on I broke both hte corners off of that bone and they were floating in the middle of my leg lol
petie11o5
8/21/2011 7:48pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2011 7:50pm
I have been riding for about 10 years and riding serious motocross for about 2 years. I have had 2 or 3 small wrecks and 1 close call on a big jump where I almost looped out. Since then I have not been pushing it hard but still improving with no wrecks lately. I just don't push my luck or ride over my head and I have been without injurys in motocross (knock on wood).

My only serious injury came from a skiing accident where I broke my femur and it required surgery with a rod and screws. I was about 12 years old when that happened though.

One of the freestyle riders (Todd Potter maybe?) has never broken a bone from riding. I forget which one...
jasonv43
8/21/2011 8:08pm
Choke the chicken before any big date?

Tell me you spank the monkey before any big date?

Oh my God, he doesn't flog the dolphin before a big date. Are you crazy? That's like going out there with a loaded gun!
wildbill
8/21/2011 10:13pm
you just need to keep getting your ass kicked and enjoy every minute of it.

reads like, you'll never learn.
EvanR127
8/21/2011 10:56pm
I don't know why but when I read the title I thought it was going to end in "......take a dump per day".......................................................................................
The Rock
8/21/2011 11:30pm Edited Date/Time 8/21/2011 11:32pm
Absolutely.

The time to stop riding is before you crash not afterwards. After the crash you have to get back on the horse again since you've gotten a get off out of the way so you've got some time before the next one.
Ddavis
8/21/2011 11:42pm
Brady Kiesel once told me and my brother it's fun to crash REALLY hard, but not get hurt from it. Fucking kid is messed up in the head hahaha. I agree though, you feel like your on top of the world when you wad up but get up without a scratch on you lol.
FIREfish148
8/22/2011 12:22am
I used to crash every time I rode. I mellowed out a bunch though and try to ride smooth when I do now a days. My last crash that I remember was a weird little slow speed crash when I was standing up going around a sandy muddy section and my front end slid out and I found myself trapped under the bike. Didn't scare me too much honestly I just realized I got to the point where I was going to have to really hang it out to get any faster and I couldn't afford to get hurt anymore.
nytsmaC
8/22/2011 1:32am
My last crash was just losing my front end at low speed in a tight turn, about 2 years ago. Last time I was at the track I only did two short motos, the wind picked up and almost blew my bike out from under me on a 90' double, that was enough for that day. I like to ride safe but rolling the doubles isn't my idea of fun either. Risk vs. reward.
tns
8/22/2011 5:05am
been riding since i was 6,and have been lucky only had broken my arm, fingers and toes up untill 2002.That year i broke my collar bone cuff on the right shoulder then 2 months later ribs same side and then immediatley after thinking they were ok,i went out on my mountain bike crashed and broke my ribs on the other side.I then stayed injury free till 07 when i did my left shoulder when a berm washed out on me and in 08 i did 2 discs in my neck i didn't actually fall off just over jumpted a landing and landed flat hard.then nothing since i have only had 2 crashes this year one a silly tip over and another i looped out over a table top as the bike was spluttering and cleared on take off sending me skywards but i just pushed it away and slid down the down ramp tumbling at the bottom where i recieved a small gash to my arm.to put all these injuries into oerspective i am now 43 and have no intention of stopping riding anytime soon

Post a reply to: How often do you...

The Latest