How not racing nationals will hurt JS7 in 2012 Supercross

Hank_Thrill
Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:07pm
By not racing the 2011 AMA Nationals, James is passing up a great possible learning experience on how to handle the pressure racing with a group of guys just as fast, if not faster than him. Going practically your entire life being significantly quicker than your competition does have developmental downfalls: not being able to handle pressure from someone (or a group of riders) just as fast you.

Another benefit for James running the nationals could have been more experience learning how to cope with loses. Once again, this is something he does not have much experience with, and we all saw this year what seven loses can do to him by his podium reaction at St. Louis. Everyone else that is a threat to him next year has had their asses severely kicked, one way or another over the past five years, often from the same guys they were competing against for the 2011 Supercross Championship. And though I'm sure they all hated losing, they definitely did not seem as crippled by it, like James; because they all have experiences losing more than seven races in a row.

These two areas of possible improvement could greatly benefit James Stewart in next season's supercross series. I do not see how passing up the opportunity to become more humbled by your competitors, learn to ride comfortably when someone is on your back wheel, and most importantly, learn how to not panic when you are not winning, could be in any way detrimental to his 2012 Supercross Championship hopes (David Bailey once spoke on the last example, not me).

Who knows, maybe he will figure this stuff out sitting at home...
|
lostboy819
Fantasy
1342nd
5/18/2011 10:32pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2011 10:32pm
If he could not handle the pressure in SX he sure as hell couldn't handle it in MX.
Hank_Thrill
5/18/2011 10:37pm Edited Date/Time 5/18/2011 10:39pm
lostboy819 wrote:
If he could not handle the pressure in SX he sure as hell couldn't handle it in MX.
Well, if he wants to win the 2012 SX championship, he could have used the nationals to prepare himself in ways his amateur and (most of his) pro career never provided him the opportunity with. That's pretty much the point of the post. Instead, he probably focused more on "not wanting to lose" in making his decisions.
WR5
5/18/2011 10:43pm
pulpmx Steve Matthes
@CRtwotwo @JasonWeigandt You're saying that JS no doubt has the money to go outdoors? Cause I agree, JP hinted no Yami bonuses is reason.

CRtwotwo Chad Reed
@pulpmx @JasonWeigandt when your salary is upwards of 4mil..I'd say yes! If he's as good as he claims as a team owner he can insure himself

CRtwotwo Chad Reed
@pulpmx @JasonWeigandt the upside to insuring himself is he could do 2-3mil bonus...let u figure the math vs outlay to race outdoor...

Sorry for hijack your topic.

The Shop

the_wood109
5/18/2011 11:05pm
I have to agree with Hank on this one.

Fuck you, Hank Tongue

@WR5 grain of salt there, considering the source.
WR5
5/18/2011 11:22pm
I have to agree with Hank on this one.

Fuck you, Hank Tongue

@WR5 grain of salt there, considering the source.
Is a shame that a guy who make millions and millions cant make a budget of her own money to run a series, I admire Chad Reed and his team he is really do it for her fans and because he like and breath this sport, not like JS7.
the_wood109
5/18/2011 11:30pm
Hey man, I love watching Reed as well. Chad Reed tweets about JS7...that is what I was talking about. Keep in mind the years that Reed didn't ride the nationals, as well.
Ashleymx
5/19/2011 2:29am
By not racing the 2011 AMA Nationals, James is passing up a great possible learning experience on how to handle the pressure racing with a group...
By not racing the 2011 AMA Nationals, James is passing up a great possible learning experience on how to handle the pressure racing with a group of guys just as fast, if not faster than him. Going practically your entire life being significantly quicker than your competition does have developmental downfalls: not being able to handle pressure from someone (or a group of riders) just as fast you.

Another benefit for James running the nationals could have been more experience learning how to cope with loses. Once again, this is something he does not have much experience with, and we all saw this year what seven loses can do to him by his podium reaction at St. Louis. Everyone else that is a threat to him next year has had their asses severely kicked, one way or another over the past five years, often from the same guys they were competing against for the 2011 Supercross Championship. And though I'm sure they all hated losing, they definitely did not seem as crippled by it, like James; because they all have experiences losing more than seven races in a row.

These two areas of possible improvement could greatly benefit James Stewart in next season's supercross series. I do not see how passing up the opportunity to become more humbled by your competitors, learn to ride comfortably when someone is on your back wheel, and most importantly, learn how to not panic when you are not winning, could be in any way detrimental to his 2012 Supercross Championship hopes (David Bailey once spoke on the last example, not me).

I agree and will add missing out on all the bike development time will also hurt him for 2012 SX.

Slightly off topic but he needs a new team! I sure hope he didn't spend too much buying into this one because it sux! One of the highest profile teams in the sport cant set up a race bike and or gather enough sponsor funding in time to race? Seriously? Especially with a rider that can potentially go 24/0. Dumbfounded. Motoconcepts are able to have a bike ready in time for Pourcel. Can't blame the bike anyway.
5/19/2011 2:34am
while JS is quick/fast (as hell), I really do not buy the fact he is the fastest anymore - last year outdoors proved it, indoors this year proved it - whether you put injuries aside he got beat fair and square, and dont most race injured anyway - each time i have been hurt i generally come back faster - i would bet its the same with most that want the win, whether thats the time off the bike or hunger for racing who knows.
bents
Fantasy
909th
5/19/2011 5:58am
Spot on Hank, and Chad Reed effectively strips away the other excuses he might offer for not going outdoors. If it is true that Yamaha won't pay him bonuses, that might be speaking volumes as well. Bottom line is he doesn't want to do the work (physical prep, bike prep, team prep) to get out there and mix it up with the fastest field ever.

He needs to watch Rocky III, hire Apollo Creed, and get the eye of the tiger back baby!
spd721
5/19/2011 6:10am
JS7 will never win another title again if he doesn't race outdoors this year.
Pdub
5/19/2011 9:08am
Sounds like jealousy to me.
Lightning78
5/19/2011 9:55am
Spot on to everyone that posted thus far .... I think tnot racing Tue nationals will definitely hurt him with staying Sharp and the bike development he is missing out on is paramount. If he won't ride due to pride and ego not to mention the bonus thing, then that is his choice but imo it is ruining his career and legacy. Next year he will have an even harder time if he sits this part out. About the money, like Reedy said, He has more money than he will ever need and most definitely enough to fund an outdoor campaign yet he chooses to sit them out, to each their own I guess. It's not like the family won't be there Bec Malcolm is racing them and James could gain back a lot of respect from the fans if he sacked up and just rode them on his own dime. If I'm understanding this the only thing missing is bonus money so he would still get bike support from yamaha and all the resources are there except for bonus money?
Sondy132001
5/19/2011 10:01am
bents wrote:
Spot on Hank, and Chad Reed effectively strips away the other excuses he might offer for not going outdoors. If it is true that Yamaha won't...
Spot on Hank, and Chad Reed effectively strips away the other excuses he might offer for not going outdoors. If it is true that Yamaha won't pay him bonuses, that might be speaking volumes as well. Bottom line is he doesn't want to do the work (physical prep, bike prep, team prep) to get out there and mix it up with the fastest field ever.

He needs to watch Rocky III, hire Apollo Creed, and get the eye of the tiger back baby!
hahaha so Chad Reed is the man cause he used his own money to race the SX series?? he had to, no one wanted to sponsor him, what's that tell you ?? sheesh the best thing you guys can do is not talk about JS7 at all, no posts nothing, he's not racing the nationals, show no support at all, that would hurt him more.
ns503
5/19/2011 10:27am
I think there's one thing that might trump all those potential negatives.

And that's if his program is broken and it would take longer than 2 weeks to fix right - I don't think starting out to go racing for a whole series with a broken program at that level would be a good thing to do, and could hurt him even more than not racing the nationals.
ky_savage
Fantasy
500th
5/19/2011 10:38am
How long of a contract does James have with Yamaha? I think if he was comfortable on the bike with a good setup he'd more than likely be on the gate this weekend. No win bonuses would make even Pourcel not ride.
TeamGreen
5/19/2011 10:42am
Fact:

If James WANTED to the Race the Nationals...

He WOULD.

PERIOD.
5/19/2011 10:58am
Ok I have to say this he is not the fastest man to race he is the fastest with in the first 5 laps if he kept that pace he would just crash his brains out over and over again (see 2011 sx season) with these guys steping up he should too! that would just prove that what he thinks in his head is true. but this him comming up with reasons why he can't just isen't winning him and fan support or sponser support! i am beting he will show up after freestone since he hates the first two rounds to much work and too far from his hiding spot soggy FL!
wawazat
5/19/2011 3:03pm
Just cause it's turned into a Reed vs James thread...

James wasn't there yesterday to take pics of..lol
MX7MX
5/19/2011 3:53pm
All this hate on a guy who had a perfect season outdoors, with only one other person in the world doing that......RC!
Motodave15
5/19/2011 3:59pm
MX7MX wrote:
All this hate on a guy who had a perfect season outdoors, with only one other person in the world doing that......RC!
Exfuckingctly...24-0...stewy and rc...i will guarentee none of the current riders will pull that off.
DJ KC
Fantasy
452nd
5/19/2011 4:22pm
Come on... James is not 100% and took some really hard hits to the head... Time off is due for recovery.
bents
Fantasy
909th
5/19/2011 5:13pm
bents wrote:
Spot on Hank, and Chad Reed effectively strips away the other excuses he might offer for not going outdoors. If it is true that Yamaha won't...

hahaha so Chad Reed is the man cause he used his own money to race the SX series?? he had to, no one wanted to sponsor...
hahaha so Chad Reed is the man cause he used his own money to race the SX series?? he had to, no one wanted to sponsor him, what's that tell you ?? sheesh the best thing you guys can do is not talk about JS7 at all, no posts nothing, he's not racing the nationals, show no support at all, that would hurt him more.
Okay, I've got to be careful, I'm debating Vital MX royalty here..that was a compliment btw. My point Sondy is simply what you responded to-Chad is the man for doing it on his own, for taking the risk, and he continues to do it outdoors with more support, because he earned that support even though initially no one was prepared to give it to him. Yamaha doesn't seem to want to give James any support either, or so it appears, at least for the outdoors.

I have no argument with James talent-99.9% of the fans in this sport want to see him fill this incredible roster for the outdoor season. If he would have won the sx title this past season, he would have received full props for his determination-he put in some incredible rides.

Having said all this, are you suggesting that he would ride mx if he had more support, or do you think, like many others, that he doesn't want to go through all of the effort to do it? This is the crux of the issue. And he has also sent out many a mixed signal about his intentions. Of course this has been a bit of a lightening rod for criticism. Yes/no?
Sondy132001
5/19/2011 5:30pm
bents wrote:

hahaha so Chad Reed is the man cause he used his own money to race the SX series?? he had to, no one wanted to sponsor...
bents wrote:
Okay, I've got to be careful, I'm debating Vital MX royalty here..that was a compliment btw. My point Sondy is simply what you responded to-Chad is...
Okay, I've got to be careful, I'm debating Vital MX royalty here..that was a compliment btw. My point Sondy is simply what you responded to-Chad is the man for doing it on his own, for taking the risk, and he continues to do it outdoors with more support, because he earned that support even though initially no one was prepared to give it to him. Yamaha doesn't seem to want to give James any support either, or so it appears, at least for the outdoors.

I have no argument with James talent-99.9% of the fans in this sport want to see him fill this incredible roster for the outdoor season. If he would have won the sx title this past season, he would have received full props for his determination-he put in some incredible rides.

Having said all this, are you suggesting that he would ride mx if he had more support, or do you think, like many others, that he doesn't want to go through all of the effort to do it? This is the crux of the issue. And he has also sent out many a mixed signal about his intentions. Of course this has been a bit of a lightening rod for criticism. Yes/no?
What Chad's situation tells me is no one was willing to risk a ride with him, he's done well, probably better then even himself thought he could do. Honda is helping, but would they be if like it was mentioned before in this post, Canard and Grant were still racing? We'll never know, they aren't. Chad's racing the Nationals because he's getting help now, from Honda, would he be if he wasn't and still paying on his own dime completely ?? We'll never know.

James has had a crazy year, struggled even, he's mentioned that in his most recent statement. I am sure he had all good intentions to race the selected 4 Nationals/ and or GP's he was scheduled to race, but somethings didn't go into his favor, so he takes off the next two months, get's his shit in order, maybe he hits the last 4 nationals?? Maybe he doesn't. His contract was SX only, he signed it, Regal signed it, people are saying Regal got other offers, maybe he did, maybe he didn't, he went with the best one, he thought, and now he's not racing the outdoors, who people say he does best at. And of course this is all JS7/LB's fault too, they held a gun to Regal's head and told him to sign that contract (sarcasm). I just think James is tired, his body hurts, his emotions have to be just jello too and he needs a break.

Little story, my brother, Marc, use to have the track Piru, he wadded there so bad, about broke the entire left side of his body, was in a hospital bed for over 2 months. Marc had never been injured like that, he said he's never ride a motorcycle again, I watched him struggle, it was bad. Ha like 2 weeks after he got out of that bed he wanted to ride, where is my motorcycle?? blah blah blah My point being, Last year James was healing when the Nationals started, he tried to come back it didn't work, this year he's not injured like he was, he's bruised up yes, but give it a month?? I would think he would go stir crazy, moto guys want to compete, they aren't couch potatoes, I think James will get tired of the vacation, maybe not now, maybe not in 3 weeks but I would think at some point when his emotions and body are in sync, he will be back, if not we will see him January for the 1st round of SX. Just let James lick his wounds, go over his fuck-ups this year and get on page with himself instead of us all belittling him and calling him names. He deserves a break.

S
bents
Fantasy
909th
5/19/2011 5:44pm
Fair enough. Don't you think he could be more forthright with everyone and this would lead to far less criticism? The communication coming from his camp has not been exactly sterling. This would he helpful wouldn't it?
Sondy132001
5/19/2011 6:59pm Edited Date/Time 5/19/2011 6:59pm
bents wrote:
Fair enough. Don't you think he could be more forthright with everyone and this would lead to far less criticism? The communication coming from his camp...
Fair enough. Don't you think he could be more forthright with everyone and this would lead to far less criticism? The communication coming from his camp has not been exactly sterling. This would he helpful wouldn't it?
On my way to bartend so I'll make this quick, did we not ALL see him struggle all year?? Did we not see his police escapade?? Did we not see his rag-dolling all over the track??? How much more forthright does he have to be??? seriously we've seen all of it in the past 5 months, what more do you want from the guy ?? blood?? I just don't see where the criticism comes from, we all saw his entire life unfold before our eyes, nothing was hidden, nothing. L&M is no where in the picture?? another reason possibly no mx nationals. He hasn't hid a thing, nothing. There you go my opinion in a nut shell, now all of you have a great night, I'm going to hang out with my old guys crowd, poor some beers and watch the play offs...GO OKC Thunder Wink

S
JCRF217
5/20/2011 6:38pm
James has a 150 excuses on why he dosen't race outdoors the last two years right before the start of the series. He lead everyone into thinking he is going to do them, and then he has some reason why he can't do it at the last minute. I WAS a fan of js7 but he lied about racing the outdoors and you only get to see him race 3 months a year, so I'm no longer a fan of his. RV, REED, and TC are my new favs.
JCRF217
5/20/2011 6:40pm
MX7MX wrote:
He only raced 450 outdoors for like three years, '06, '07, and '08. Maybe '05 but i can't remember. He had one good season. Good for him, that was two years ago. One season can't make you the best outdoor rider forever. He's not going to get any better sitting on the couch.
TDeath21
5/20/2011 11:22pm
By not racing the 2011 AMA Nationals, James is passing up a great possible learning experience on how to handle the pressure racing with a group...

Could not agree more Hank. He just doesn't know how to take 2nd (or worse) when he isn't the best guy that night. Instead he pushes over his head in order to still be the best guy which results in crash after crash after crash. This is why his crash or win percentage is so high. It's an extremely skewed statistic in my opinion because it makes people think he only beats himself, which isn't true.

Post a reply to: How not racing nationals will hurt JS7 in 2012 Supercross

The Latest