How much would you pay for GoPro's entire moto from your favorite rider?

1/10/2012 8:46am Edited Date/Time 1/27/2012 1:04pm
Lets just take a walk into moto utopia here for a minute..

Say every rider had a helmet cam, and after each race the full race helmet cam videos were uploaded to either Racer-x, twmx, vurb, here, whatever, and you had ability to purchase or rent the video for a small fee.

How much would you pay? 99 cents? $1.99? How about ten bucks?

I'm not a business major, so while the logistics may not immediately come to mind, there has got to be a way for GoPro to make a fair amount of money while still delivering us GOOD content (HD, full moto) from our favorite riders, and not just 40 second clips from the mid pack.

The only problem I can think of would be if a rider didn't want to wear one....which well...I think is sorta bullshit, I mean at this point you're a walking sponsor billboard/robot, what is the harm in wearing a GoPro and bringing in new sponsors?

At the end of the day, it would be a way for the riders to give back to the fans by giving them what they want most, all while SOMEBODY is at least making money from it.

Someone care to bring me back to reality as to why this COULDN'T happen? Smile
|
jtomasik
1/10/2012 8:50am
$0

If I want to watch the race, I'll watch it on Speed. If I want to see what it looks like to ride a motorcycle, I'll go ride my motorcycle.
mx196
Fantasy
3991st
1/10/2012 8:52am
Iv always wondered why they havnt shown a full moto by a helmet cam. I remember Ricky wore them alot in 05 and always thought it would be sick to watch a full race through his perspective
Phillips467
1/10/2012 8:52am
I wouldn't pay for it - but I definitely want to see it. I don't understand why if they can give us one lap they can't give us all 20
tapkawiman
1/10/2012 8:58am
Dont think I would pay. Seems like everything out there is about how to make money or its gonna cost me something.

What would be cool is to have a rider do voice over in parts of the race to tell us what they are thinking. Ex. Sitting on the gate what they thought after they had a close call or what they were thinking when they passed someone or someone passed them....

The Shop

JW381
1/10/2012 9:12am
At least it's moving that direction, like NASCAR or F1
jtomasik
1/10/2012 9:15am
Honestly, I'd rather hear communications dialogue between the rider and his team. Hearing Alessi curse his brains out would be priceless.
hasko158
1/10/2012 9:15am
jtomasik wrote:
Honestly, I'd rather hear communications dialogue between the rider and his team. Hearing Alessi curse his brains out would be priceless.
X2
zookrider62!
Fantasy
975th
1/10/2012 9:17am
I wouldn't pay for it - but I definitely want to see it. I don't understand why if they can give us one lap they can't...
I wouldn't pay for it - but I definitely want to see it. I don't understand why if they can give us one lap they can't give us all 20
probably an agreement with speed
jamma10
1/10/2012 9:43am
tapkawiman wrote:
Dont think I would pay. Seems like everything out there is about how to make money or its gonna cost me something. What would be cool...
Dont think I would pay. Seems like everything out there is about how to make money or its gonna cost me something.

What would be cool is to have a rider do voice over in parts of the race to tell us what they are thinking. Ex. Sitting on the gate what they thought after they had a close call or what they were thinking when they passed someone or someone passed them....
During games of One Day Cricket here in the UK the fielding captains are often miked up so they can converse directly with the commentators in between overs and sometimes even between each ball bowled. Even if you dont like the game the promoters are very forward thinking when it comes to technology and quirky marketing ploys.

They can get away with it in cricket because of the brief but regular periods on inactivity, Im sure Ive seen NFL coaches talking directly to the commentators on tv too right? Not sure it would work so easily with MX riders because of the sustained concentration required though. I quite liked the split screen they had running for a while during Saturday nights coverage and I'd certainly like the option of watching a whole race from a go-pro cam, hence the go-pro footage in my signature.
chadwik74
1/10/2012 9:49am
I'd pay if it was on iTunes....it would give you a different respect for each rider on how they approach the track compared to rider B. I try and get almost everything iTunes has moto related for plane rides and work(on breaks of course)Whistling . Think how much more Vital traffic there would be.....them armchair cowboys could critique everything from Yamaha's cornering, Alessi's holeshots, to what makes it such a slick track.
jbomx363
1/10/2012 10:02am
zippo.
TerryK
1/10/2012 10:37am
I don't think I could watch a whole moto via helmet cam. I'd be bored shitless.
Pdub
1/10/2012 10:41am
I wouldn't pay very much, but I would like to see the footage. I certainly hope that we don't have to wait 10 years before they figure out how to mount cameras on all the racers and incorporate the footage in the live webcast coverage, allowing the viewers to pick their own angles and viewpoints.

It would be nice if motocross would join us in the 21st century...
1/10/2012 10:42am
jtomasik wrote:
$0 If I want to watch the race, I'll watch it on Speed. If I want to see what it looks like to ride a motorcycle...
$0

If I want to watch the race, I'll watch it on Speed. If I want to see what it looks like to ride a motorcycle, I'll go ride my motorcycle.
Perfect first response. / thread
ocscottie
1/10/2012 10:44am
They put up entire races from the MEC.
Butters
1/10/2012 11:11am
Nothing because...

Cokeham23
1/10/2012 12:54pm
I would rather see them offer something like a 1 year $5 membership, and you get to see all of the videos from every rider wearing one at all of the SX and MX rounds, and the MEC. I know I would love to watch a couple mains from the riders view, and would easily hand out $5 for that.
mojoman42
1/10/2012 12:59pm
Speed should upload the entire footage to their site, they'd get money from advertising.
Drew580
1/10/2012 2:00pm
umm... they put up James Stewart"s entire heat race on youtube, but I guess thats not a full final. Still pretty good though
njracer46
1/10/2012 2:20pm
Well if I could find that dam locness monster I'd say about a tree fiddy
Old Mate
1/10/2012 2:31pm
TerryK wrote:
I don't think I could watch a whole moto via helmet cam. I'd be bored shitless.
Dont think id want to watch to much from the rider with the go pro BUT! The riders up front are generaly the only ones seen much on TV. I know if the guy behind my son had a gopro and filmed my son from behind and some of the faster guys had been filmed from behind id love to watch those ones. Maybe id be keen as i coach for a living but im sure that there would be so many teams,Family and fans that would rather watch there rider filmed than just the guys up front. So maybe gathering all the filming and building a film on each rider might work! Yes i would pay then.
muGz.147
Fantasy
1922nd
1/10/2012 2:32pm
I wouldn't pay a thing. Do you realize what the exposure they already have is doing for the sales of the individual GoPro unit? You can get them all over the place. I sell them in my shop, I see them in Scheels, and a lot of places in between. The more free content they put up, the more it benefits them at the end of the day.
StatutoryApe
1/10/2012 3:04pm Edited Date/Time 1/10/2012 3:08pm
$0

I would never pay Gopro to watch one of their videos Plus torrents are free.
Hawwy
1/10/2012 4:17pm
I'd pay nothing but it would be nice to view some...
mtnr
1/10/2012 5:02pm
Stewarts race footage is awsome! Glad all I had to do was think about buying a Go Pro and look at the redbull sticker on his visor. If I was managing a rider and his sponsors exposure time I would do my best to get all primary and secondary providers on anything I could digital to get as many immediate and long term impressions as possible. Stuff that goes on archive in youtube or if speed archived races on their site is money to the rider and sponsor. Seems like a no brainer, but this is the moto industry and it's not known for being the brightest bunch all the time, at least in the past. Great job regardless on Go Pros part. Sweet footage as usual.

Never understood why during interviews on the podium why sponsors don't demand their logos streamed under their riders name while the kid is talking. Not like a team wouldn't provide that data and sponsors wouldn't pay to have it processed into a stream form like the riders position while racing. That would free up the interview as well to not being a thank my sponsor drama/entertainment free moment, as it has always been. Love the go pro footage.
nickm
1/10/2012 5:45pm
The only actual real problem to doing this would be buying the RIGHTS to actually film and broadcast any of this.... SPEED (Fox) and CBS sign up for long term agreements with the owner of the rights to SX/MX...these RIGHTS obviously aren't free (in fact they are huge bucks).

Sooooo...unless you suddenly have become a major broadcaster with the ability to pony up the credibility and dollars to sign up for a long term agreement, then in ain't gonna happen.

I'm sure you could call up FOX and CBS and ask for a deal for broadcasting rights from helmet cams, they are usually pretty receptive and reasonable with the pricing (sarcasm).

Post a reply to: How much would you pay for GoPro's entire moto from your favorite rider?

The Latest